• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2020 Television for Next Gen

TAS

3 years later and the long awaited price drop for OLED hasn't arrived. Should I bite or endure another year?

I recently upgraded from a Panasonic plasma to the LG CX. Best money I ever spent on a piece of tech. The investment might seem steep upfront but honestly, for the unbeatable image quality coupled with all the tech the tv is packing, it's actually a great deal.

Illo

Just bought a LG GX 55inch. I had it price matched for $1496 and now I'm hyped for when its delivered and installed. Im getting a LG 5.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar installed alongside with it. So I'm set for next gen.

The TV replacing my 6 year old 1080p 55in Samsung TV. So catching up to 4k, HDR and then OLED is a pretty big jump from what I'm used to.

I keep comparing the CX and GX on Rtings and its just overall interesting seeing the differences in the build and screen.

Question for anyone able to answer:
For a Soundbar I read a review suggesting to use both the optical and HDMI for the best sound. Which doesn't make sense to me because I thought you can only use one to pass sound through?

Shmunter

So 3rd and final report on the 75” Q90/Q95T. After a few weeks the honeymoon is over and the set is going back.

Bright and punchy. The motion interpolation in game mode is a pleasure.

BUT Samsung needs to go back to school on how to drive their panels. I started seeing more and more inverse ghosting, in particular purple in darkish areas. Too many instances of being taken out of the experience, a smudgy soft soup on pans.

Going between my Sony 75” 900e is especially painful. Sony is solid, no imperfections, but the Samsung is visibly flawed, and I will not accept inferior quality in a flagship model.

Couple of other stupid things; set does not pass through DTS, it remixes it to Dolby. And game mode gamma is blown out and distracting when contrasted against switching to/fro movie mode for example.

Cannot speak for LG, but Sony seems to do it better. Will wait for 2021 to see what comes out.

Inviusx

C9 owner here but if you haven't bought a new TV in the last 5 years I would say wait until the launch of next gen to see if they even utilise any HDMI 2.1 features.

As mentioned earlier, 4k 120fps is not happening this generation unless there is a mid cycle refresh in 3 years.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Just 5 mins ago I bought a 65"X900H from Amazon. The CX was beautiful, but not $1000 more beautiful compared to the x900h in my eyes. I figure I will keep the x900h for 3 years and then upgrade to 8k when its more mainstream.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So after about a month of research looking for my next tv purchase I would suggest to anyone now... if you can just wait until next year to buy a new tv. TVS are in a bad place now with not fully supporting hdmi 2.1 , screen tech is not up to par and seems like will make a good jump next year. If you do need a new tv right now I would suggest trying to find a sony 900h if you need VRR and 120mhz.

Here are my quick takes for the current popular series and brands. I wont go into input lag, gray uniformity, and all that as they are all pretty good and somethings are just a lottery anyway.

LG OLED : Brightness issues and crushed blacks. burn in can happen but that seems to be better on lg CX. Great dark room tv. (I own a c7)

LG nano 90 series: IPS is great for colors but they added some filter layer which hampers brightness and still the blacks are gray at best. Bad local dimming as well.

Samsung QLED 70t/80t: Crushed blacks and colors are not as accurate as other sets. Brightness is great though and black is nice even if crushed a bit.

Sony OLED: Brightness issues and crushed blacks. does not support all hdmi 2.1 features and bandwidth. doesnt get as bright as the LG OLED.

Sony LED 900h/950h: probably the best at their price points. 900h is a great all around buy for gaming ( if you can find one). 950h has a fantastic picture. good blacks, great color, no black crush or brightness wash out, but it doesn't support hdmi 2.1 features.

Top Bottom