• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BC games for XCloud (16 games to start)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I can't remember if this is in pilot but has X-Cloud been installed on Windows or is it only live in Mobile device?

This is very nice move by Xbox.

Episode 12 Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

intbal

Very cool for people who use xcloud, but I'd like to see more backwards compatibility games added at some point soon.
I'm 99% certain that program is dead.
Jason Ronald loves to keep telling people it's a licensing issue, but there are games that Microsoft owns 100% that they never made BC. They shut down the BC teams and put those people to work on other things.
Best guess: They're working on some way to make people buy the games all over again. Like an OG Xbox Mini.

Derktron

Banned
Jason Ronald loves to keep telling people it's a licensing issue, but there are games that Microsoft owns 100% that they never made BC. They shut down the BC teams and put those people to work on other things.
Best guess: They're working on some way to make people buy the games all over again. Like an OG Xbox Mini.
I mean it's quite possible that they did. The only thing is there are tons of games that people want on backward compatible, but we still haven't seen anything new in 2 years now.

wolywood

AFAIK it's only on mobile for now, but desktop/browser alpha screenshots have leaked.

There's actually a way right now to install and run the beta xCloud app for PC (do a Youtube search for "xCloud PC" for installation info), I use it and it works pretty well. Resolution has been bumped up to 1080p and load times seem improved over the Android version.

nikolino840

What ms studios titles are not bc yet? Some niche kinect games?

Mmnow

Jason Ronald loves to keep telling people it's a licensing issue, but there are games that Microsoft owns 100% that they never made BC.
There's way more to licensing than who published the game, especially if the game existed before digital copies were really a thing.

Remember, when you put your disc in you're often installing a brand new digital copy on your system. That counts as a new release even if you can't even buy it digitally.

FeldMonster

If by "shutdown the BC teams", you mean working on validating thousands of XB1 games on Series consoles, implementing Auto-HDR, implementing FPS Boost, and getting Backwards Compatible games running on XCloud, then yes, they are totally shutdown and not working at all.
🤦‍♂️

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
If by "shutdown the BC teams", you mean working on validating thousands of XB1 games on Series consoles, implementing Auto-HDR, implementing FPS Boost, and getting Backwards Compatible games running on XCloud, then yes, they are totally shutdown and not working at all.
🤦‍♂️
So they havent been able to do any in months?

Very cool for people who use xcloud, but I'd like to see more backwards compatibility games added at some point soon.
I hate that they have the nerve to call this backward compatibility, it's completely dishonest... I mean, Nintendo never called the eshop nes/snes/genesis/turbo grafx/neo geo/etc. Backward compatibility.

Neither does Sony claim that they have backward compatibility with the ps1/2/3 because you can play a few old games (emulated or streamed) in the PS4/5, and to be clear, I don't want this, it renders the term completely useless, thanks to MS marketing and their bots.

I mean with all the old arcade games being emulated on these machines (and since the PS2 days)... Why didn't anyone claim "arcade backward compatibility", didn't they notice?

intbal

🤦‍♂️
Nope.

DaGwaphics

I wouldn't be so sure that the BC teams are no more. They were repurposed for the Series launch to ensure that the X1 backwards compatibility was on track and that the system software was on point. When that work subsides, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new title here and there. Probably when there is some kind of tie-in to a product launch that is forthcoming etc. Obviously the primary BC target going forward is enhancing the X1 library.

intbal

I wonder what the Xbox community would prefer.

A. Many more OG and 360 titles added to the BC library, but no more enhancements to XB1 games
or
B. No more OG and 360 titles added to the BC library, but lots more XB1 games getting Series enhancements

I suspect older gamers would choose A and younger gamers would choose B. But that's just a guess.

Lone Wolf

I wonder what the Xbox community would prefer.

A. Many more OG and 360 titles added to the BC library, but no more enhancements to XB1 games
or
B. No more OG and 360 titles added to the BC library, but lots more XB1 games getting Series enhancements

I suspect older gamers would choose A and younger gamers would choose B. But that's just a guess.
I would choose A. I am old.

reksveks

I can't remember if this is in pilot but has X-Cloud been installed on Windows or is it only live in Mobile device?

This is very nice move by Xbox.

Episode 12 Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
There is a beta app floating around out there if you want, got it on my surface laptop but might as well wait as I think it will be out soon

Banned
these games sure would profit from 60fps patches so that that input lag goes down... and we who play on console would like it too... cmon microsoft! DO IT! FPS Boost for all of them! COME ON!

Bridges

I hate that they have the nerve to call this backward compatibility, it's completely dishonest... I mean, Nintendo never called the eshop nes/snes/genesis/turbo grafx/neo geo/etc. Backward compatibility.

Neither does Sony claim that they have backward compatibility with the ps1/2/3 because you can play a few old games (emulated or streamed) in the PS4/5, and to be clear, I don't want this, it renders the term completely useless, thanks to MS marketing and their bots.

I mean with all the old arcade games being emulated on these machines (and since the PS2 days)... Why didn't anyone claim "arcade backward compatibility", didn't they notice?
Can you put an NES cart in a Switch or a PS1 disc in a PS5?
That's why they don't call it backwards compatibility.

Can you put an NES cart in a Switch or a PS1 disc in a PS5?
That's why they don't call it backwards compatibility.
Can you just put a random 360/og xbox in you xbox one/series and expect it to run what's on the disc? What about your PC/other xcloud device? What about the digital only xbox models?

Nope, what MS calls BC is not even a proper emulation layer, it needs to download a recompiled binary to even work (on select few games). You guys are being manipulated.

Also, at its core backward compatibility has nothing to do with the medium where the application is stored, otherwise you wouldn't be able to claim your PC is backward compatible to any machine that had a floppy disc by example. Backward compatibility is about the ability to run binaries from an existing platform... Not, you get the disc, then download the program for your new system and use it with the old assets. By this definition a port of the doom engine that runs existing wads makes my ps3 backward compatible with PCs for some reason.... Well, everything that runs doom levels is Backwards compatible with the PC.

And what about that device:
20190322_171513__54256.1607353911.jpg

plugs into your pc, run original carts for these old systems with an emulator... it's actually more valid as a "backward compat" layer.

You get the idea.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can you just put a random 360/og xbox in you xbox one/series and expect it to run what's on the disc? What about your PC/other xcloud device? What about the digital only xbox models?

Nope, what MS calls BC is not even a proper emulation layer, it needs to download a recompiled binary to even work (on select few games). You guys are being manipulated.

Also, at its core backward compatibility has nothing to do with the medium where the application is stored, otherwise you wouldn't be able to claim your PC is backward compatible to any machine that had a floppy disc by example. Backward compatibility is about the ability to run binaries from an existing platform... Not, you get the disc, then download the program for your new system and use it with the old assets. By this definition a port of the doom engine that runs existing wads makes my ps3 backward compatible with PCs for some reason.... Well, everything that runs doom levels is Backwards compatible with the PC.

plugs into your pc, run original carts for these old systems with an emulator... it's actually more valid as a "backward compat" layer.

You get the idea.
Doesn't really matter what the technical term is. It works, including the old cloud saves. That's all that matters.

That's like saying a PC isn't BC compatible with old programs using old OS because Windows 10 or Dosbox helps make it happen and it's not truly using Windows 98 or MS-DOS from 1989.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

You get the idea.

Xbox Threads never fail.

That's like saying a PC isn't BC compatible with old programs using old OS because Windows 10 or Dosbox helps make it happen and it's not truly using Windows 98 or MS-DOS from 1989.
The term they use is misleading, words have a meaning , otherwise they are useless.

And if you red half my post you would have seen the emulation situation being addressed... But strictly. Speaking I don't think that PCs can run even windows XP, so the hardware is not completely backward compatible, but you can still expect to run 32-bit binaries at a pretty high rate.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The term they use is misleading, words have a meaning , otherwise they are useless.

And if you red half my post you would have seen the emulation situation being addressed... But strictly. Speaking I don't think that PCs can run even windows XP, so the hardware is not completely backward compatible, but you can still expect to run 32-bit binaries at a pretty high rate.
Then PS5 isn't BC with PS4 either. Not all PS4 games even work on PS5.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

sainraja

Then PS5 isn't BC with PS4 either. Not all PS4 games even work on PS5.

You know he actually said that. You haven't read what he has been saying, have you? Oh you probably assumed he was taking a side in this invisible console war that you are fighting.

Dont engage.
Xbox threads always get derailed by these heroes.
So, people in Xbox threads don't like to have a conversation? It's a forum, you can choose to be part of a conversation or you can move on. I really don't understand why people get so uptight over this. If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine, just move on and let those discussing, discuss. lol

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sony: Closes PS3 store

Microsoft: "You can play some old games on your phone now"

Crazy times we live in.

Mmnow

Meanings of words are fluid and decided by usage. Always were, always will be. Can you not think of a single word that means a different thing today than when you were a kid? There are thousands of them.

So with that in mind, how is "old games working on new hardware is backwards compatibility" in any way misleading? Do people not understand it? Does it confuse a general reader?

Does "That's not backwards compatibility, because it's about binaries" confuse or potentially mislead? Yup. "So Doom I bought in 2006 still works in exactly the same way two consoles later but its not backwards compatible?" Jeez.

But that doesn't matter anyway, because you're using a computer software definition for video games. That's just not the definition that has ever been used, especially in the console space. Even Wikipedia uses a different definition for games.

Gatox

Banned
🤦‍♂️
Yeah but in fairness to him once they've done that all that in the morning why aren't they then sorting out all the BC games in the afternoon, I mean its obviously really easy.....
53zsm0.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Portable Fallout NV is crazy... Can you imagine 10 years ago that this shit is going to be possible and actually playable? No? Just me then...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony: Closes PS3 store

Microsoft: "You can play some old games on your phone now"

Crazy times we live in.

If you actually look at the numbers, the difference in BC support isn't that huge.

For example of the 2178 games on Xbox 360 the years of incremental addition to the BC line-up via recompilation resulted in only 477 titles being made available. So basically less than 25% of all releases. In the case of OG Xbox that number shrinks down to 30 odd out of 1000, so around 3% coverage.

How that squares against how many of the 700 odd titles on PSN are from the PS3 era I don't know exactly, but it likely represents a similar proportion of the ~2300 game library to what MS offers.

Mmnow

Blue elephant radio car earth vinegar potato red angry. Amount flame grass tree three floors flowers are angry angles angels!

Get what I mean there? I adjusted the meaning of the words above to give you a coerant answer.
This is stupid as fuck and you know it. If this is the level of discourse you want, why even post? Go rant into Twitter.

Word definitions are based on usage. That doesn't mean your usage. It means there needs to be a common understanding.

Do you understand what people mean by backwards compatibility? Of course you do, you've just got a weird problem with this particular usage. I wonder why.

If streaming counts as backward compatibility now why did people not think of this when Sony announced that psnow streamed PS3 games?
They did. Go search backwards compatibility Gaikai. That was always the main focus of discussion around that purchase.

I'd also wager, although I'm not gonna put effort into proving it, that when the Xbox BC Program was announced, half the discussion was about how PS Now is either better or worse in regards to that.

I'd go as far as to say the vast majority of gamers see PS Now as Sony's way of handling BC during the PS4 era. It wasn't a Gamepass competitor until a year after Game Pass had launched. I don't remember when the first PS4 game ended up on there.
I mean the "definition" you guys push is entirely self serving to Microsoft's marketing needs, is not sound too bend over backwards to try to make sense of it, otherwise everything that has a port of some game that uses the same assets has to count as "backward compatible", I could even claim that the PS4 is backwards compatible with the Xbox 360 because they both run Fez (same assets, different binary, enhanced resolution, the only difference is that they don't show up on the same store).

Unless you mean "backward compatibility" is whatever Microsoft says it's backward compatible, and nothing else, they get their own special meaning for that word. Then the term has become useless and meaning less.
You guys? I'm not defending MS here. I'd make the same post if someone was saying it about PS Now.

If I bought Fez on Xbox 360 and can hit download and play it on PS5 with no additional purchases. Sure, I'd agree with you.

Stop with the console warring bullshit and try and actually defend your point if you can.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

You get the idea.
talking about e-waste hahaha

i want my fing 3dsBOY player tho

Last edited:
Top Bottom