• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BC games for XCloud (16 games to start)

sainraja

That is literally what i said?
I didn't take that from any of your posts though. You were asking people not to engage and implying there was an agenda at play here. My point was to let people engage in discussion if they want to do so.

Last edited:
This is stupid as fuck and you know it. If this is the level of discourse you want, why even post? Go rant into Twitter.

Word definitions are based on usage. That doesn't mean your usage. It means there needs to be a common understanding.

Do you understand what people mean by backwards compatibility? Of course you do, you've just got a weird problem with this particular usage. I wonder why.
Sure, go ahead, throw the mud around while "calling out" the others for it.

MS made up some use of the word to suit their needs, it has nothing to do with me, it's people like you who are carrying their water.

When you say backward compatibility you expect some level of it, not 3% to 25% success rate. Like the xbox series playing xbox one games, this is honest backwards compatibility.
They did. Go search backwards compatibility Gaikai. That was always the main focus of discussion around that purchase.

I'd also wager, although I'm not gonna put effort into proving it, that when the Xbox BC Program was announced, half the discussion was about how PS Now is either better or worse in regards to that.

I'd go as far as to say the vast majority of gamers see PS Now as Sony's way of handling BC during the PS4 era. It wasn't a Gamepass competitor until a year after Game Pass had launched. I don't remember when the first PS4 game ended up on there.
Sony never called it "backward compatibility" some brain dead gaming journalists may have done it--Sony has always been pretty clear on their claims of backwards compatibility.
ArN5fWG.png

I have not seen any PS gamer claim that PSNow is an acceptable way of handling the previous gen games. Even when Sony tried to sell the service as a way to play PS2/3 games on the PS4 they did not call it backwards compatibility and they did not call it that for a reason, because it makes no sense at all.
You guys? I'm not defending MS here. I'd make the same post if someone was saying it about PS Now.

If I bought Fez on Xbox 360 and can hit download and play it on PS5 with no additional purchases. Sure, I'd agree with you.

Stop with the console warring bullshit and try and actually defend your point if you can.
Yes you guys, carrying Microsoft's water on this is the console warring, correcting people who are just plain wrong and are willing to accept whatever marketing pushes down their throat as gospel when they stretch the meaning of words so far out that they don't make any sense whatsoever anymore.

If what MS offers is backwards compatibility the term is so vague that pretty much anything is backwards compatible with anything else these days, there is no special need "games" definition for it.

Then PS5 isn't BC with PS4 either. Not all PS4 games even work on PS5.

I never denied that the Series X/S is compatible with the xbone, the issue is the expectation, when you can only play 3% (og xbox) to 25% (360) of the games, and you need to download the binary again this is not backwards compatibility.

Also this (not a slight on Microsoft, they're just honest in this case):
Xlv0bSw.png

If I bought Fez on Xbox 360 and can hit download and play it on PS5 with no additional purchases. Sure, I'd agree with you.
So the money is the difference? What about those people who never had either version anyway? or if Sony decided to give the game away, would 1 free cross platform game make one platform "backwards compatible" with the other? it would not be that far from the 40 og xbox games that are covered by the "backwards compatibility" program.

2 + 2 = 5 belongs on Twitter, this is where they redefine words out of existence.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They call it BC because it's the Xbox/Xbox 360 version of a game running on Xbox One hardware, in this case, in the cloud. (and yes, it's re-compiled.. the process still starts from a compiled version of an old game.. they only de/re-compile the binary to X86.)

That's it.. end of story lol

Last edited:

Mmnow

Sure, go ahead, throw the mud around while "calling out" the others for it.

MS made up some use of the word to suit their needs, it has nothing to do with me, it's people like you who are carrying their water.

When you say backward compatibility you expect some level of it, not 3% to 25% success rate. Like the xbox series playing xbox one games, this is honest backwards compatibility.
Who's throwing mud? Do you disagree that your first few paragraphs quoted were ridiculously stupid and a complete misinterpretation of what I said so you could attempt a childish gotcha moment? A childish gotcha moment that completely backfired.

Because if you do disagree, then genuinely, grow the fuck up.

Sony never called it "backward compatibility"
Great. You said "why did people not think of this" and we agree that they did.
If what MS offers is backwards compatibility the term is so vague that pretty much anything is backwards compatible with anything else these days, there is no special need "games" definition for it.
I mean, you can repeat this ad nauseum, it doesnt make it true. You can keep talking about marketing and insulting some imaginary other side.

Your base point is bollocks and you've done nothing to defend it.

If I could put a PS2 disc in my ps5 and play it, it would be backwards compatibility. If I could play the digital PS3 games I bought on my PS5 without repurchasing, that would be backwards compatibility.

Percentages don't change that. I'm not even sure you know what you're trying to say.

Any ridiculous definition you're attempting, any insults your throwing, doesn't change that.
So the money is the difference?
No, money isn't the difference. Try harder.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Backwards compatibility is stronger on MS platforms in part because it's a digital purchase that is compatible between platforms, and the recompiled copy is granted using old optical discs. You can't get PS1, PS2, or PS3 games running on PS4 or PS5 by popping in your old discs, and you'd be lucky to get a spare digital copy of a game between them if it's cross play.

But, wE aRe BeInG mAnIpUlAtEd!!!~

You console warriors can all just fuck off. Your attitudes are useless. A burden to gaming as a whole. Do the world a favor, go outside and air the stink off of yourselves.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
People are stupid, they will blindly repeat whatever marketing tells them.

Despite the one-time digital purchase and optical media being compatible or granting access to the recompiled games across the hardware generations, you're posting a million times to be pedantic about back compat, and people being stupid or blind by using that terminology.

Go outside, stinky.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Congrats.. thread derailed. Literally no discussion about the OP. Just people arguing over semantics. Thank goodness for the concerned gafers protecting the general public from confusion. Imagine the chaos when a poor 360 owner buys a new xbox and downloads some old digital purchases, to then discover in the middle of his/her playthrough that what they are experiencing isn't "backwards compatibility" by definition. Pour souls :(

Back on topic, I have been generally annoyed at the lack of 360 support on xcloud so this is good news.

Top Bottom