• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate I & II: Enhanced Editions |OT| You must click this thread to venture forth.

Hostile_18

Banned
If its mod support GOG.

If expense isn't an issue and your not bothered on mods you can't beat playing on a big screen with a controller IMO. Also this is the complete official package, you'd have to make a few purchases on PC to get it all from what I gather (extra characters, siege expansion).

Xeaker

There hasn't been any further patches since the day 1 one. I have given console feedback on the official forums that a dev has commented on, so hopefully quality of life features/tweaks will be added in upcoming patches (such as the map screen size, quick save etc).

Yes, that's where I found the dev post, on 17. October they said soon there would be the language voice patch so I hoped it would be out by now. I get the game monday and wanted to play in german, I hope it comes soon.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, they may be “overpriced”, but I just went and picked up the BG and Planescape packs on Switch today because I was worried they might get a limited physical release. Either way, I got 4 epic RPGs I can play on a portable now.

Just have to decide if replaying BG1 is worth it in order to carry over characters to BGII. I’d rather just go straight into BGII to be honest. I only played BG1 a year or so ago.

Anyone here have any opinions on playing through BGII with stock rolled characters as opposed to transferred characters?

Last edited:
Yeah, they may be “overpriced”, but I just went and picked up the BG and Planescape packs on Switch today because I was worried they might get a limited physical release. Either way, I got 4 epic RPGs I can play on a portable now.

Just have to decide if replaying BG1 is worth it in order to carry over characters to BGII. I’d rather just go straight into BGII to be honest. I only played BG1 a year or so ago.

Anyone here have any opinions on playing through BGII with stock rolled characters as opposed to transferred characters?

You can skip BG1, no equipment transfers anyway, only your xp total. You can just play the Dragonspear expansion and transfer a character from there if you want. Most stock characters start BG2 at level 7, transferring one may net you an extra level or 2 for an early game bump.

Hostile_18

Banned
You can skip BG1, no equipment transfers anyway, only your xp total. You can just play the Dragonspear expansion and transfer a character from there if you want. Most stock characters start BG2 at level 7, transferring one may net you an extra level or 2 for an early game bump.

I would normally say never skip one but since you've only played it a year ago that's fair enough (unless you did it again on easy/normal).

Did you play Siege of Dragonspear as well? If not that is where you will want to start. I've just finished one/tales of the sword coast last night and it transfers seamlessly across. 5 party members come across at level 8 (what they were) and a new party member comes in at level 10. I can only imagine they will be a fair bit higher by the end so starting at level 7 on BG 2 seems quite low?

I've absolutely been loving this game. Despite the high price tag I've got so many hours out of it and I'm about one third of the way through, if that.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I would normally say never skip one but since you've only played it a year ago that's fair enough (unless you did it again on easy/normal).

Did you play Siege of Dragonspear as well? If not that is where you will want to start. I've just finished one/tales of the sword coast last night and it transfers seamlessly across. 5 party members come across at level 8 (what they were) and a new party member comes in at level 10. I can only imagine they will be a fair bit higher by the end so starting at level 7 on BG 2 seems quite low?

I've absolutely been loving this game. Despite the high price tag I've got so many hours out of it and I'm about one third of the way through, if that.
I only played BG1 on PC. Haven’t played Siege of Dragonspear yet.

Any of you guys playing on Switch?

Hostile_18

Banned
I only played BG1 on PC. Haven’t played Siege of Dragonspear yet.

Any of you guys playing on Switch?

Definitely play Siege then. It's my first time through it as well. :)

I'm on the Pro. Loading times are none existent. I've heard of a few saves getting corrupt on the Switch. Very, very rarely but have a few save files, just in case.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Definitely play Siege then. It's my first time through it as well. :)

I'm on the Pro. Loading times are none existent. I've heard of a few saves getting corrupt on the Switch. Very, very rarely but have a few save files, just in case.
Cool. It had an update when I checked, so hopefully those corruption issues are fixed.

Switch version runs like butter, no problems at all in 20 plus hours so far. I'd love for the ios touch controls and a quick save button to make it into an update, but other than that, no complaints.

BG1/2 has a small discount on the Xbox Holiday sale going on right now, $42.99 as opposed to $50.00.

Icewind Dale/Planescape is not on Sale however, nor is Neverwinter Nights (though that just got released on consoles).

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
BG1/2 has a small discount on the Xbox Holiday sale going on right now, $42.99 as opposed to $50.00.

Icewind Dale/Planescape is not on Sale however, nor is Neverwinter Nights (though that just got released on consoles).
I cant honestly get over the price they want for Neverwinter :/

I cant honestly get over the price they want for Neverwinter :/

Supposedly it has multiplayer, though I noticed the store page says it's only singleplayer. Just searched around and guess multiplayer is supposed to drop for Xbox in January, also sounds like PS4/Switch having problems with it/patch issues. Ugh.

Hostile_18

Banned
Just started to play Seige of Dragonspier for the first time after completing the original game. It's a shame there's been no substantial patches since release. Its great they got most of the original voice cast back for this new expansion though.

I think number 3 might have to wait at this rate, however 🙈.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

Question for those who played PC version first and then played console versions. How does it translate to gamepad gameplay? Is it painful as it sounds or did they found some solution?

Hostile_18

Banned
Question for those who played PC version first and then played console versions. How does it translate to gamepad gameplay? Is it painful as it sounds or did they found some solution?

It's been a long time since I played the PC version but I had no problems at all with using a controller, infact I actually prefer it tbh.

V4skunk

Banned
It is possible but i wouldn't recommend it, you have no accuracy with a controller.

Hostile_18

Banned
lmfao that's insane, I just bought the physical for $24 on Amazon

The digital versions hardly ever (if ever) go on sale in the EU. I'm still intending to get Planescape Torment eventually as well! 😁

Edit: Just checked here in the UK £47.99 digital vs £16.49 physical 😂

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
If you use the enhanced editions to play Baldurs, just make sure you install the Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs mod that can disable all the retarded beamdog NPCs.

Nymphae

Banned
It's a great purchase for that game alone (never played Icewind Dale). Just checked £13.99 physical vs £47.99 digital 🙈.

Don't tempt me I've spent too much on games lately :messenger_tears_of_joy: Then again I didn't end up being able to blow nearly $300 CDN on an Analogue Pocket that I wanted on Monday, so maybe I'll bite on Planescape....

Hostile_18

Banned
Don't tempt me I've spent too much on games lately :messenger_tears_of_joy: Then again I didn't end up being able to blow nearly $300 CDN on an Analogue Pocket that I wanted on Monday, so maybe I'll bite on Planescape....

These games are massive as well so if your playing that you can't spend money on other things. It may save you money in the long run 😉.

Nemesisuuu

It's been a long time since I played the PC version but I had no problems at all with using a controller, infact I actually prefer it tbh.

Yeah, I'm somehow in the mood for gamepad, but I'm highly sceptical of it's functionality in game like this.

It is possible but i wouldn't recommend it, you have no accuracy with a controller.

That's one of the things I'm afraid of, but I'd like to play through BG2 with gamepad sometime.

How are Pillars of Eternity 1&2 on gamepad?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah, I'm somehow in the mood for gamepad, but I'm highly sceptical of it's functionality in game like this.

That's one of the things I'm afraid of, but I'd like to play through BG2 with gamepad sometime.

How are Pillars of Eternity 1&2 on gamepad?

All the reviews never mentioned gamepad control in a negative light. I honestly wouldn't worry about it myself. I don't think they could have done a better job control wise. 😊

johntown

Banned
I prefer controller on any game I can even CRPG's. I tried with these games and while it does work I really would not recommend it unless you have no other option. I wish they would add the same native support like the console version have but it does not look like they ever will.

If you really want to use a controller I would buy the console versions.

Nemesisuuu

I prefer controller on any game I can even CRPG's. I tried with these games and while it does work I really would not recommend it unless you have no other option. I wish they would add the same native support like the console version have but it does not look like they ever will.

If you really want to use a controller I would buy the console versions.
I played through them back in the day on PC (and few years ago through EE), but now I'm getting itch to play them again on PS4, but I'm sceptical how they've translated controls to controler since there's a lot of party management and UI is designed with mouse and keyboard in mind. Another thing is I'd like to get digital version, but it's almost never on sale and I'm not giving full price while I already have them on Steam.

Yeah, I know - I could play them on PC, but currently I'm in that point of life that I'd just like to pick up gamepad and play.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I played through them back in the day on PC (and few years ago through EE), but now I'm getting itch to play them again on PS4, but I'm sceptical how they've translated controls to controler since there's a lot of party management and UI is designed with mouse and keyboard in mind. Another thing is I'd like to get digital version, but it's almost never on sale and I'm not giving full price while I already have them on Steam.

Yeah, I know - I could play them on PC, but currently I'm in that point of life that I'd just like to pick up gamepad and play.
I wish I could tell you how well the controls work on console but just like you I have the Steam versions and I even have the GOG versions. I'm tempted to buy them just for the convenience but I find that hard to do.

If you ever played Torment Tides of the Numenera I would think it would be similar to that. I did play that on a controller and found it worked quite well. My main issue with using a gempad on BGEE is the movement, if I could get my party to move via analog control stick that is all I really want.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

I wish I could tell you how well the controls work on console but just like you I have the Steam versions and I even have the GOG versions. I'm tempted to buy them just for the convenience but I find that hard to do.

If you ever played Torment Tides of the Numenera I would think it would be similar to that. I did play that on a controller and found it worked quite well. My main issue with using a gempad on BGEE is the movement, if I could get my party to move via analog control stick that is all I really want.
Yeah, if you could move party with analog stick it would be ok-ish. Sadly, I didn't play Tides of the Numenera so I'm not familiar with it's control scheme.

Hostile_18

Banned
I can confirm on console you can move with the analogue stick like you do on Diablo 3 console. You can also bring up the mouse pointer style at any point.

Left and right bumpers select characters or both together selects them all. You can also assign groups (Tanks/Mages etc).

The left and right triggers bring up circle radical menus. Controls were never an issue for me once playing the first game (and I've played 1, 2 and Throne on PC).

Similar to Civ 6 controls are the one thing this release had to nail and it did. You'd hear ALOT more complaints if it was bad. 😁

Nemesisuuu

Awesome, if it's functional to some degree, that's enough for me. I'm not expecting m&kb level of control, but if I played C&C on PS1 back in the day without any problems, this is surely way better.

Now just that price drop on PS Store.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Awesome, if it's functional to some degree, that's enough for me. I'm not expecting m&kb level of control, but if I played C&C on PS1 back in the day without any problems, this is surely way better.

Now just that price drop on PS Store.

Put it this way, I'd rather play them on a controller now! Maybe on the hardest difficulty mouse and keyboard would be more appealing.

Yeah that's it. Might be worth getting physical since it's so cheap and then "upgrade" when it goes on offer. Hundreds of hours worth of content.

Nemesisuuu

Put it this way, I'd rather play them on a controller now! Maybe on the hardest difficulty mouse and keyboard would be more appealing.

Yeah that's it. Might be worth getting physical since it's so cheap and then "upgrade" when it goes on offer. Hundreds of hours worth of content.
Yeah, I know, but it's not that urgent to play it right now (since I completed them before) and I've got spoiled by the digital releases on modern gaming systems that I find physical media more like collectible now lol.

Nymphae

Banned
Does this have keyboard and mouse support for PS4? I booted it up to test but my connected kb&m don't seem to do anything in the menus, I didn't feel like going through the character creation process yet just to find out.

Hostile_18

Banned
Does this have keyboard and mouse support for PS4? I booted it up to test but my connected kb&m don't seem to do anything in the menus, I didn't feel like going through the character creation process yet just to find out.

Oh glad you got your copy! I'm only guessing but I'm going to say no. You wouldn't want it IMO all the menus and short cuts are based around using the DS4. Looking forward to your impressions!

I'm about 10 hours into Seige of Dragonspier. I was taking no shit for my (substantial) gold going missing then when I found out what the robbers did with my money I was like "gee I can't cut you down like the thieving dogs you are now" 😂.

Nymphae

Banned
Oh glad you got your copy! I'm only guessing but I'm going to say no. You wouldn't want it IMO all the menus and short cuts are based around using the DS4. Looking forward to your impressions!

I'm about 10 hours into Seige of Dragonspier. I was taking no shit for my (substantial) gold going missing then when I found out what the robbers did with my money I was like "gee I can't cut you down like the thieving dogs you are now" 😂.

I'm going to dig through the manuals I found online a bit before diving in maybe this weekend, it sounds a bit daunting tbh. I don't want to play it on easy modes or whatever but I have absolutely no experience with D&D stuff, I hope I can wrap my brain around it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm going to dig through the manuals I found online a bit before diving in maybe this weekend, it sounds a bit daunting tbh. I don't want to play it on easy modes or whatever but I have absolutely no experience with D&D stuff, I hope I can wrap my brain around it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You'll be fine, it starts you off in a lovely little town, just one character and your biggest concern is clearing out a basement full of rats.

Your in for a real treat if you like it. So much content. You can adjust the difficulty at any time so that helps. Definitely the best game(s) Bioware ever created. You become so attached to the characters at the end its unreal.

Ps Strength Emoji!? When was this added haha.

Nymphae

Banned
You'll be fine, it starts you off in a lovely little town, just one character and your biggest concern is clearing out a basement full of rats.

Your in for a real treat if you like it. So much content. You can adjust the difficulty at any time so that helps. Definitely the best game(s) Bioware ever created. You become so attached to the characters at the end its unreal.

Ps Strength Emoji!? When was this added haha.

Yeah the amount of content sounds fantastic, plus the expansions, pretty great deal. lol I think the strength reaction was added today

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah the amount of content sounds fantastic, plus the expansions, pretty great deal. lol I think the strength reaction was added today

Yep and similar to Mass Effect Baldur's Gate II really takes it all to another level. That's why I didn't mind paying full price at release, expensive for such a old/classic game but the number of hours entertainment is brilliant.

Nymphae

Banned
As someone who has never ventured into D&D or any games like this, it feels like I need to take a goddamn course just on how to set up my character before even starting the game. Don't want to get fucked with a build I don't enjoy or restart multiple times, can anyone recommend a good video or article on how best to approach this?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who has never ventured into D&D or any games like this, it feels like I need to take a goddamn course just on how to set up my character before even starting the game. Don't want to get fucked with a build I don't enjoy or restart multiple times, can anyone recommend a good video or article on how best to approach this?
Yeah that’s one of the things that causes me headaches tbh - I get terminal indecisiveness.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah that’s one of the things that causes me headaches tbh - I get terminal indecisiveness.

I found this one and figured what the hell I'm just gonna make a human ranger, try to reroll until I get some sick numbers and just see how it goes.

Just passed up a 93 because goddamnit when you get rerolling it's hard to stop lol

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
It's only 1 character...lol. Not like you're rolling up a whole party.

Just read the manuals and keep rolling till you get something decent. Also, set it to auto pause at the end of each characters round, so you know exactly when to give the next command.

anthraticus

Banned
Shoot for high scores in Strength, Dexterity, Constitution & Wisdom for Rangers.

And play on the core/d&d rules difficulty setting.

Nymphae

Banned
Shoot for high scores in Strength, Dexterity, Constitution & Wisdom for Rangers.

And play on the core/d&d rules difficulty setting.

I want to play a human ranger archer, and after getting some ideal stats, I had no idea where to place proficiency points. I have 4 points available, and there are 3 different bow weapons. I can only put 2 into Longbow which is what I think I want? Then I have no idea what I should be doing with the other 2, any tips?

Top Bottom