• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Official Launch Trailer (PS4, Xbox One, Switch)

Skifi28

I saw the trailer and thought it was for mobile at first. Gonna buy that shit for nostalgia's sake. Does it mention price anywhere?

GHG

Never played this back in the day but I remember it getting a lot of backlash due to there being no PC version. Was the game itself actually any good?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Never played this back in the day but I remember it getting a lot of backlash due to there being no PC version. Was the game itself actually any good?
Yeah, I loved pretty much all games with 4 player couch co-op like this. Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, Hunter Reckoning.

The new one seems pretty different though, and might use a much closer third person action cam from the trailer I saw.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

fatmarco

$29.99 / £29.99 / €29.99
I really do despise that they do this. 30 USD for a game that, while good in its day, just is not going to sell at that price. And it doesn't even include Dark Alliance 2.

Look at games like Doom 3, which retailed at 9.99 USD. There's simply no reason a bare bones port should cost that much.

I guarantee that if they sold it for 10-15 it'd sell 5x the amount at launch.

I really do despise that they do this. 30 USD for a game that, while good in its day, just is not going to sell at that price. And it doesn't even include Dark Alliance 2.

Look at games like Doom 3, which retailed at 9.99 USD. There's simply no reason a bare bones port should cost that much.

I guarantee that if they sold it for 10-15 it'd sell 5x the amount at launch.
The funny thing is, for some reason I have in my mind that it was a lower priced game when it was released... so this might cost as much now as it did then lol

Tommi84

$29.99 / £29.99 / €29.99
Excuse me?
9d1e37914b558bb7f01c73489fbdfb4f.gif

Guilty_AI

Only thing i know about it is how someone got pissed off because they bought this believing it'd be like PC Baldurs Gate

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Here's some more info from IGN:

This is a re-release and not a remaster or remake, so outside of 4K support for Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, and their backwards compatibility versions on Xbox Series X and PS5, there aren't a lot of new features. Two-player local cooperative play returns, of course.

Rat Rage

Is this any good? Never played it.

It's freakin' amazing!! Back in the day, official Diablo 3 was more than a decade away. I remember when I played it, I thought: "DAMN, this is like Diablo 3" and "this is how a Diablo 3 should look like if it ever comes out" (in addition to "wow, those are beautiful water effects!!11".

It's also REALLY FUN in CO-OP!!

I highly recommend this to anyone who has never played it!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Why not a collection with da1, da2, champion of norrath and a bards tale?!

I'm gonna buy the shit of this, i loved the game back in the days.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Back in the day I thought it was fucking awesome in co-op. This was the first Diablo-style game I’d played with couch co-op. I have fond memories of playing the shit out of this game with my college roommate (who never had any interest in this style of game before)

nowadays... not really sure how it holds up when we have Diablo 3 with local co-op. I haven’t played it in almost 20 years. And definitely wouldn’t play it single player.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love this game and will definitely buy it. Would have liked to see a $20 price point though, $30 is a bitter pill to swallow since it's just a re-release and not a remaster.

Second game when?

Forsythia

€30 is a bit too much, will wait for a sale. Loved this game back then but I just know it's just nostalgia (as with most of these rereleases lately).

I believe Dark Alliance games are still better that the shallow diablo clones. Modern games bet everything on drops, end game, and ridicolus numbers, while completely forgetting to do a compelling, fun and worth playing first run. That's the reason I don't play those games anymore, thery are too boring.
Maybe I'll dip with Dark Alliance even with the unjustified high price. This series was really fun.

Last edited:

KellyNole

Yea I was somewhat interested until that $30 price tag. I was thinking $15 or $20. $30 is a big fat nope. I used to play this game at a friend's house and loved it. Never got to beat it as he moved off to college and I never went back and played it again. Maybe jump on it when it drops in price.

SALMORE

Nice i always wanted to play it but I couldn't because my copy on PS2 is sealed and very expensive i don't want to open it 😉

BootsLoader

Banned
30$ is too much for this pre-alpha state game. I understand the nostalgia and everything but they didn’t even try. Come on!!

Neofire

How dare they put the Xbox next to the Beaststation 2 😂

Great news it's being released *birdman hands*

Last edited:

Sentenza

Robbery-tier pricing aside, can't believe people actually feel nostalgic about this shit.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned

It was considered good at the time, but I don't think it aged particularly gracefully. It is basically a (even) dumber Diablo where you spam basic attacks at everything on the screen that moves and collect a billion pieces of uninspired loot. If you really like diablo-esque RPGs you probably won't hate it, but it's pretty mediocre all around for today's standards.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
nowadays... not really sure how it holds up when we have Diablo 3 with local co-op. I haven’t played it in almost 20 years. And definitely wouldn’t play it single player.
aRPGs like these, Diablo 1, X-Men Legends actually hold up really wel, as they weren't trying to be MMO lites, like the more modern stuff does.

Havoc2049

The funny thing is, for some reason I have in my mind that it was a lower priced game when it was released... so this might cost as much now as it did then lol
I think you are right. I think it retailed for $39.99 back when it came out. It was a mid-tier solid game back in the day, but nothing special. As an Xbox gamer, it was a cut below Morrowind, Fable, KOTOR I&II, Jade Empire and Arx Fatalis. At the price they want to charge for the re-release, they should have included Dark Alliance II.

I'm playing through this series right now, getting ready for the new Dark Alliance game. I'm on the final tower of Dark Aliance and about done. I'm playing co-op with my daughter. It's a fun game and I'm enjoying myself, but it's nothing epic.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Awful game. The second is much better, but still. And yet, it still looks more enjoyable than the new one coming this year.
fuck is the new one THAT bad? ooof

i was planning to get this. But i got pokemon snap 2 instead on switch ,
this game seems a bit overpriced

Last edited:
fuck is the new one THAT bad? ooof

i was planning to get this. But i got pokemon snap 2 instead on switch ,
this game seems a bit overpriced
Have a look at the trailer, mate. It's a game from 20+ years ago with a sheen of gloss on top. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but it's just so by-the-numbers and unimaginative you honestly shouldn't waste your time, unless you get off on shit productions.

dorkimoe

It was considered good at the time, but I don't think it aged particularly gracefully. It is basically a (even) dumber Diablo where you spam basic attacks at everything on the screen that moves and collect a billion pieces of uninspired loot. If you really like diablo-esque RPGs you probably won't hate it, but it's pretty mediocre all around for today's standards.
I may wait for a sale

tsumake

As an action/adventure game with rpg elements, it’s a very good game. The levels are well designed and is paced rather well. It’s also not the easiest to emulate, so having another way to play it is a nice option. At $30, it’s a “maybe/yes” for fans but at $20 it’s a no-brainer.

Top Bottom