• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Xbox Release date is being revealed on December 7

No chance I'm buying this anytime in the next 6 months when I'm still working on Starfield. My plan is to buy it later after they've patched it for a while.
> still playing incomplete and buggy game (don't forget to beta test the new update that doesn't fix longstanding issues!)
> not buying the undisputed game of the year because it needs patching in your mind

burning homer simpson GIF

Larivel

I don't think it will do very well on Xbox. Based on the PS5 performance, console gamers just aren't interested in this game. I think Game Pass it the only way it gets more than a week of traction on Xbox.

Huh? The game would sell much better day one than 3 months later at full price (assuming that's the plan).
It was #2 on ps store top download list for september... Still is in top 10

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How much would MS have to pay for that? $200 million?
It's possible, but honestly I think Baldur's Gate appeal on consoles is wildly exaggerated. This site is for hardcore gamers and I think the OT since PS5 release advanced like 6 pages, including lots of PC players still talking about it in those 6 pages. And PS5 userbase is bigger than Xbox also. Literally Lies of P was talked about more on here on consoles. The Exoprimal OT got to 8 pages even, and it was mostly just 4 people talking about the game. It's in the top downloads chart for September, but can anyone tell me any kind of rough estimate of how many digital copies that would be?

And apparently it sucks to play on controller. Awesome, can't wait. Really no excuse when Age of Empires 2 functions extremely well on controller now.

But yeah, we know some of the big 3rd party stuff can reach $200 million. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was less than that, but that's not really my problem. It will definitely be higher than that initial leaked estimate, but no idea what the number would be.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

It was the second most downloaded game for PS5 on PS Store in its release month both in US and Europe

Edit: and still in top 20 in October
This just means more nerds on PlayStation but less Nerds than PC.
revenge of the nerds 80s GIF

Last edited:

skit_data

This just means more nerds on PlayStation but less Nerds than PC.
Oh yes, I don't think anyone expected this to be more popular on console than on PC. It's primarily a PC game no doubt.

I was just replying to a statement insinuating it performed somewhat poorly on PS, which is incorrect.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
It's by far the best game that released on xbox this year (on all platforms actually) but the point is just buy the game and actually support an indie studio who did soo much better than all those billion and trillion dollar company's. If people can't than we deserve another crash like 40 years ago.
You think Larian are being forced to put it on GamePass for free?

j0hnnix

Oh yes, I don't think anyone expected this to be more popular on console than on PC. It's primarily a PC game no doubt.

I was just replying to a statement insinuating it performed somewhat poorly on PS, which is incorrect.
I agree. I don't think I ever heard of it performing poorly on PS. Definitely the delay and some of the hype will reduce the excitement on Xbox but I just personally don't see it being a big hit on that platform.

Firstly, no way are they releasing this for less than the original asking price. Demand for the game is still high and being talked about, so I imagine the price will reflect that.

Secondly, I'm betting that it's dropped on the store during the show.

So basically they are releasing it on the XBox right after it wins a bunch of GOTY awards. I think it will do better than some of you guys think getting a booster from the publicity of the awards. Kinda like how Oscar winners would get a re-release in the theaters and get a boost in the box office.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So basically they are releasing it on the XBox right after it wins a bunch of GOTY awards. I think it will do better than some of you guys think getting a booster from the publicity of the awards. Kinda like how Oscar winners would get a re-release in the theaters and get a boost in the box office.
That would make sense too. I still don't think it'll be on GP.

It was a brilliant release cycle, actually. Day one PC, Starfield day on a console that doesn't have Starfield, and then Game Awards.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It was a brilliant release cycle, actually. Day one PC, Starfield day on a console that doesn't have Starfield, and then Game Awards.
Yeah, I said they calculated this that way on purpose and got a console warring warning for that. I was literally saying they are incredibly smart strategically. It would have been buried on Xbox releasing in September. They planned each release date for maximum impact. Whoever is running their company is a brilliant publishing strategist.

Depends on how big the bag is...

I mean it's not like Xbox bros were going to actually buy this en masse anyways 😅
I'm still not convinced anyone on console is buying it en masse. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the engagement on here and they wont release sales numbers for PS either.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How did other subscription services make money until today if everything is considered "free" as you suggest ?
They're not. Hence why the constant increases in price, but no increase in quality of features (Amazon Prime as example, YouTube, etc.). All sub services are suffering with this inevitable profit bleed vs content spend. Hell, the 100m+ sub service Disney+ is struggling with bleeding subscribers that they're now combining it with Hulu.

For Disney, Streaming Losses and TV’s Decline Are a One-Two Punch​

The company experienced a sharp decline in its traditional TV business for the second straight quarter and will raise subscription prices for its streaming services.

They swears it, swears it so much they need to consolidate services, thus giving them more upsell opportunity ;)

Last edited:
Does the publisher not share sales or engagement info with Cortana or whatever the NPD is now? BG3 isn’t on the top 20 list for most played PS5 games last month.

I’ll be buying this day one on Xbox (refunded my Steam version as soon as Xbox was announced) but I’m not expecting any sort of mega sales or anything.

Sleepwalker

Does the publisher not share sales or engagement info with Cortana or whatever the NPD is now? BG3 isn’t on the top 20 list for most played PS5 games last month.

I’ll be buying this day one on Xbox (refunded my Steam version as soon as Xbox was announced) but I’m not expecting any sort of mega sales or anything.

They self publish, so they don't share. They did say at some point theyve sold a good amount iirc (5m+)

Yeah, I said they calculated this that way on purpose and got a console warring warning for that. I was literally saying they are incredibly smart strategically. It would have been buried on Xbox releasing in September. They planned each release date for maximum impact. Whoever is running their company is a brilliant publishing strategist.
It's definitely a calculated release schedule, but the Series S parity stuff is what prompted it. Larian did a good job of taking advantage of it. They get the PC zealots day one pre-Starfield launch, then a big hype cycle from the console warrior buzz for the PS5 launch (this hype includes the Xbox warriors just in case the PlayStation warriors out there are offended), and then finally the Xbox release get the GotY push. Starfield negativity actually became Baldur's Gate 3 promotion essentially. It's pretty wild how it all worked out for Larian.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think it will do very well on Xbox. Based on the PS5 performance, console gamers just aren't interested in this game. I think Game Pass it the only way it gets more than a week of traction on Xbox.

Huh? The game would sell much better day one than 3 months later at full price (assuming that's the plan).
What PS5 performance? It ranked #2 as the most downloaded PS5 title in September 2023 in both North America and Europe.

HApYlA6.jpg

What PS5 performance? It ranked #2 as the most downloaded PS5 title in September 2023 in both North America and Europe.

HApYlA6.jpg
Yeah I responded to that earlier. I was confused since it doesn't show up on NPD numbers. I'm still curious about engagement, though, as I wonder how people have enjoyed it on a controller. Looks like it's held up in downloads for October as well.
You mean from Microsoft? Because none of that shit was on Larian, Microsoft's bullshit policy about feature parity caused all the problems here.
Larian did an amazing job PRing the hell out of this stuff, though, and it's helped them stay in the news cycle (I don't blame them). I think they likely held the game back a month or so for the Xbox release. It gives them the time to further optimize for the Series S and release a timed performance patch across all platforms at The Game Awards. IIRC, Larian claimed the Xbox version was pretty much done 2 months ago.

Last edited:

splattered

I can’t see most Xbox players play this anyways, those who give it a shot will drop it real quick once they realize how bad the gameplay is.

Don’t @ me.

🏃🏻‍♂️💨

I played through PoE 1&2 and DoS 1&2 on Xbox and loved them all... you're saying this game is worse than those titles?

XXL

I'm still not convinced anyone on console is buying it en masse. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the engagement on here and they wont release sales numbers for PS either.
I own it on PS5 and PC and I don't know if it is or isn't selling well on console.

But regardless, after it pretty much takes all of the GOTY awards this year (which it deserves to) people on console should start paying closer attention.

NonPhixion

Ummm it was 8th in the EU and 12th in NA for most downloaded games of October on PSN. https://blog.playstation.com/2023/11/08/playstation-store-october-2023s-top-downloads/

Top Bottom