• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate 3 has the worst character models i've seen outside of Switch games, and is the ugliest game of the generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guilty_AI

True. But it aint that serious. I can handle an L thread. Game is still ugly as hell lol
Hey, it has women (and men for that matter) that don't look like uncanny nature's abomination as 90% of modern western rpgs. I'll take THAT over slightly prettier graphics any day.

Baldurs-Gate-3_02.jpg

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Holy shit

Here I’m being super hyped to finally have a cRPG that will have more than portraits and text for dialogues, even though that even with that, I will take this genre over ANY cinematic trash that has graced consoles, and you dare say that they look bad?

They look amazing. It’s above anything else in the cRPG genre.

You don’t realize what you bring out of me OP

united airlines nasa GIF

amigastar

Screenshot-2023-02-23-at-6-11-58-PM.png

Im sorry but when I see that presented to me in a trailer, I react. It looked abysmal in the 4K trailer I watched - hence the thread.

However people have posted actual PC shots since then, which look better. Still not good, but not threadworthy bad.

The game is still ugly but I will accept the L thread. :messenger_smirking:
I think it is the console version that looks so bad because on PC it looks fine.

Im sorry but when I see that presented to me in a trailer, I react. It looked abysmal in the 4K trailer I watched - hence the thread.

However people have posted actual PC shots since then, which look better. Still not good, but not threadworthy bad.

I don't know why they showed this particular moment because you will never play the game like a 3rd person game. Always your camera will be from top down and you will zoom in for different interactions but not to follow your player perspective...i was also confused why they showed that clip. It's not completely the OP fault that the trailer could not pass the message.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
OP,

You're smoking crack if you think BG looks bad. Go check into rehab, because you're looking like Tyron Biggums

Rickyiez

Console is a mistake

Hey, it has women (and men for that matter) that don't look like uncanny nature's abomination as 90% of modern western rpgs. I'll take THAT over slightly prettier graphics any day.

Baldurs-Gate-3_02.jpg

This is ugly as hell according to OP

Last edited:

Rac3r

Game looks pretty darn good. Idk if it’s a timed exclusive, but it’s a good get for Sony who have struggled to get WRPGs on their console. Hopefully PS5 owners support this game. I will be.

LakeOf9

Curious, what do you think cRpg means?
You know what I see where this is going, so I'm going to preempt this.

cRPG: Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Iceland Dale, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity
WRPG: The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 3

WRPGs have led the graphical arms race. cRPGs have categorically not done that. WRPGs did evolve from cRPGs, but they are a distinct genre, and can't be used to make judgments about what cRPGs do, any more than JRPGs can.

Last edited:
You know what I see where this is going, so I'm going to preempt this.

cRPG: Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Iceland Dale, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity
WRPG: The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 3

So again, historically, cRPGs were leaders in graphics. For certain styles of games of course not for EVERY style of RPG like say 3D open-world. You can see that partially in your own list and the times some of those games came out.

It's 2023, Baldur's Gate 3 has no reason to look like that. Where is the improvement taking advantage of the tech? It should be among the best if not the best looking of its style of game.

Can you show me something more ugly looking than this? This is supposed to be a Current-gen only game? How was this given the green light for release? What the fuck? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Indeed, with the modern tech this should be the most up-to-date, or close graphically for this style of game. Previous games in this category where top for their times when they came out, this is two steps back.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Curious, what do you think cRpg means?

Oh please, i don't want to go into a stupid meaning of genre. "computer" RPG.

That's a stupid fucking name isn't it? cRPG is basically D&D in computer form when almost nothing else existed to define it. Now the subgenre it defines out of the multitude of RPG genres is almost always in an isometric top view.

Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun
Divinity original sin
Fallout 1 & 2
Baldur's gate
Neverwinter Nights
Tyranny
Planescape Torment
Disco Elysium
Wasteland
etc

They're pretty (2D art), but aren't pushing tech, especially not in character faces, which are 99% always portraits.

Yet again proving that gamers are entitled. Take the 'L', whatever that means, all you want. That you're complaining about a sequel to one of the true great games not looking good in '4k' speaks volumes of modern day gamers.

This is like slagging off Bach's music for using the wrong font on his show flyers.

LakeOf9

So again, historically, cRPGs were leaders in graphics. For certain styles of games of course not for EVERY style of RPG like say 3D open-world. You can see that partially in your own list and the times some of those games came out.

It's 2023, Baldur's Gate 3 has no reason to look like that. Where is the improvement taking advantage of the tech? It should be among the best if not the best looking of its style of game.
I don't really have much patience for this discussion, so I'll keep it short, simple, and sweet: you're wrong. Also stupid.

I don't really have much patience for this discussion, so I'll keep it short, simple, and sweet: you're wrong. Also stupid.

Nope, and neither is the OP, it's reasonable to expect better graphics with the tech we have In 2023. The game will still be fine but it does seem like they went easy on the visuals.

Last edited:
Isn’t Baldur’s Gate in an isometric, overhead view? Let’s say if the models do end up looking kind of lackluster in the final product. The developers might of figured who will notice the low poly models since they will probably be zoomed out 95% of the time anyway?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You should chill with the personal insults before you end up banned.

Also. You're just too easy to please. People expect better looking games in 2023 with this powerful hardware. I'm tired of this shovelware looking shit. If you aren't, bravo. But no one is stupid for wanting better.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't know why they showed this particular moment because you will never play the game like a 3rd person game. Always your camera will be from top down and you will zoom in for different interactions but not to follow your player perspective...i was also confused why they showed that clip. It's not completely the OP fault that the trailer could not pass the message.

They're afraid of console gamers.

"If we show them isometric perspective only, they won't be interested."

"What if we trick them by zooming in like they'll have the option for a traditional 3rd person camera?"

Guilty_AI

What the hell you're talking about, none of the crpgs he mentioned were leading in graphics when they came out. These game's graphics were static portraits for scenarios and 2d faceless blurry blobs for characters. By the time Baldurs Gate came out we already had Quake 2 in the market.

Guilty_AI

They're afraid of console gamers.

"If we show them isometric perspective only, they won't be interested."

"What if we trick them by zooming in like they'll have the option for a traditional 3rd person camera?"
tbf that camera is in fact in the game

Its just not very convenient to use since you move npcs by clicking with the mouse. Though they might have changed that when adapting to controllers.

What the hell you're talking about, none of the crpgs he mentioned were leading in graphics when they came out. These game's graphics were static portraits for scenarios and 2d faceless blurry blobs for characters. By the time Baldurs Gate came out we already had Quake 2 in the market.

Again as you quoted I said for that 'certain style of game".

So in 2023 it's reasonable to expect the tech to be further along despite whether it's a cRPG or not, with the tech we have.

The issue is that they could do more with current tech.

Of course the game will still be playable without improving the graphics, but some people just want the next gen feel.
Imagine been gifted a sequel to one of the best games of all time, developed by arguably the best studio of the modern era of a genre that defined and enchanted a generation of gamers, only to complain about the graphics.

They could give me BG3 looking exactly the same as BG2 and I, and many others, would be over the fucking moon. Go cry about graphics of a AAA walking simulator, not a game like this.

I wish forums had vote to kick options.

Buggy Loop

Imagine been gifted a sequel to one of the best games of all time, developed by arguably the best studio of the modern era of a genre that defined and enchanted a generation of gamers, only to complain about the graphics.

They could give me BG3 looking exactly the same as BG2 and I, and many others, would be over the fucking moon. Go cry about graphics of a AAA walking simulator, not a game like this.

I wish forums had vote to kick options.

This thread and the other one complaining that AAA are taking 30 years to make... Maybe if gamers weren't little fucking bitches with graphics, we could actually get good game CONTENT out more often. BG III looks mind blowing for the genre. I finished Pillars of Eternity 2 like 6 months ago, even in 2D i felt it was beautiful sometimes. This is leagues ahead.

This thread and the other one complaining that AAA are taking 30 years to make... Maybe if gamers weren't little fucking bitches with graphics, we could actually get good game CONTENT out more often. BG III looks mind blowing for the genre. I finished Pillars of Eternity 2 like 6 months ago, even in 2D i felt it was beautiful sometimes. This is leagues ahead.
Can you imagine the threads when HL3 gets announced?

"Man, HL3 looks like shit, not enough ray tracing and the crowbar mechanic is crap! Why doesn't the main character speak!"

LakeOf9

Can you imagine the threads when HL3 gets announced?

"Man, HL3 looks like shit, not enough ray tracing and the crowbar mechanic is crap! Why doesn't the main character speak!"
Gordon Freeman, after getting the Gravity Gun: "Okay, got this doohickey. It can... control gravity? yeah, that's right. That's totally normal Gordon. Don't question it, just do what's necessary.

And now you're talking to yourself. Great."

Gordon Freeman, after getting the Gravity Gun: "Okay, got this doohickey. It can... control gravity? yeah, that's right. That's totally normal Gordon. Don't question it, just do what's necessary.

And now you're talking to yourself. Great."
I went for triggered reaction because of how accurate this is. I wanted to laugh but it's just too sad.

I even heard that quote in Nolan North's voice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom