• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate 3 has the worst character models i've seen outside of Switch games, and is the ugliest game of the generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidagfc

Hey, check out Baldurs Gate 2 graphics, it will blow your mind!

It is a turn-based cRPG, that strictly follows D&D5 rules, made by a studio that created a plethora on amazing RPGs.
Graphics is the least important component of this game.

Elginer

Looks fantastic on PC, which is where most will be playing it. Still, doesn't look that bad on PS5 from that trailer.

Reactions: Isa

Korso

Play something else. Problem solved. Or you can go and make a better looking game. Either way, I'm sure you'll find a way to get over it.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Handel

Sometimes it seems like some people buy games just to look at the pretty lights on screen than to actually play them :

3de0b0c4-2bfe-40ce-8c99-625efd6cbe93_text.gif

anthraticus

Banned
Holy shit

Here I’m being super hyped to finally have a cRPG that will have more than portraits and text for dialogues, even though that even with that, I will take this genre over ANY cinematic trash that has graced consoles, and you dare say that they look bad?

They look amazing. It’s above anything else in the cRPG genre.

It's such an incredible mistake to pursue this 'cinematic' direction for an iso cRPG. So many resources directed to what will ultimately be a sad uncanny valley pastiche that people will only remember for the memes. Even in a tightly controlled sample like the current EA version, and from the very first moments of the game, I was struggling not to laugh at all the tryharding ridiculous cutscenes.

It's a shame because the game's underlying systems seem to be solid - they just won't matter at all, because the development priorities must be so skewed. I guess Larian went full retard and are entirely committed to chasing that Bioware audience off the fucking cliff.

Last edited:

Three

The character models look fine and there is not a lot of difference between the console and PC version. What is a little "PS3 like" are the character animations but I don't see the problem given the scope of the game.

gela94

When I saw it on stream I thought it was a dragon age remaster or something?

Really weird but remember being super impressed by the PC footage from a while back.

Maybe it’s been parred down for console?
Yeah I had the same thoughts, it looked quite a bit different now o_O

Skifi28

I think the models look fine for a crpg. The problem seems to be the animation which looks ancient and no cloth physics which is really jarring in 2023.

Last edited:

reksveks

When I saw it on stream I thought it was a dragon age remaster or something?

Really weird but remember being super impressed by the PC footage from a while back.

Maybe it’s been parred down for console?
Yeah, would be interesting to see some pc vs console comparison

This turned out to be PS exclusive.

Thats why OP changed his stance on it so quickly.

Im sorry but when I see that presented to me in a trailer, I react. It looked abysmal in the 4K trailer I watched - hence the thread.

However people have posted actual PC shots since then, which look better. Still not good, but not threadworthy bad.

The game is still ugly but I will accept the L thread. :messenger_smirking:

Wildebeest

They do look ugly, and I don't know why they promote those cutscenes with those bad looking characters. But it worked for Bioware when they had ugly looking Dragon Age characters and enemy designs, and I didn't understand that. If graphics are so much your thing, then why settle for stuff that doesn't even look cool. For me, isometric RPGS are better when the 3d models stay zoomed out and the characters themselves are represented with nicely illustrated fantasy art.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Who cares. Its inexcusable. It looks like a top tier PS3 game and im not even being hyperbolic.

Yes you are. This is the definition of hyperbole. How do we know? Because you don't have any "for example" shots (you folks never do) for this thread or for three original comment in the SONY showcase thread that you thought was such a great take it absolutely needed it's own thread.

. . .TLDR: anyone who knows this studio or what the game is actually knows this is a garbage take.

I hear you OP. I'm playing Theatrhythm Final Bar Line and the graphics are INEXCUSABLE!!

Just look at Zack compared to him in FF7 Remake. Massive downgrade! Should be illegal. From this:

ufBwUHy.jpg

To this:
6fBetAB.jpg

WHAT THE HELL? Look at the texture differences! Don't buy this game. This is inexcusable. SquareEnix must be held accountable.

Chukhopops

Really shows how wasted the Sony moneyhat is on a game like this. Sony has zero connection to CRPGs, tactical turn-based games or even games with choices or customization and I doubt the main Sony audience will take the time to learn it.

I don’t even know what percentage of people play games like DOS or Pathfinder on consoles instead of PC but it sure must be a pain in the ass.

Glad Larian is getting some money out of the deal I suppose.

Umbasaborne

Banned
From what i understand lariyan are not a big studio, and their budget for this was assuredly lower than that of other big rpg’s from large publishers. They probably did the best they could with the resources available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom