• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 contains 174 hours of possible cutscenes and 17,000 ending variations

Yeah that’s not for me. I like a good hand crafted story and ending. What’s the point of a story if it doesn’t have a real end.
That's sounds like your everyday linear storyline. Why bother having multiple choices if they have the same ending.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's sounds like your everyday linear storyline. Why bother having multiple choices if they have the same ending.
How can a story be any good if there is no story? It’s generated by variables.
Is my character or the other character this or that? It’s whatever you want it to be and I don’t see the appeal. But I guess that’s a different topic :p

Is my character or the other character this or that? It’s whatever you want it to be and I don’t see the appeal. But I guess that’s a different topic :p
All life is generated by variables, mate. In this case, it's whatever you want within the game's lore. The story is a journey and the quality is determined how you choose to fill it with.

Zheph

Look at it as the game offers you many ways to experience the story or even shape your own in that universe (still within some boundaries, it is not a sandbox)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gonna be a long, fun August.

GymWolf

Does this game have titties?

You have 17.000 variations of them

epe1do4enjr71.png

Baldurs-Gate-3-Who-Do-You-Dream-Of.jpg

BG3-comg-1.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bought the early access a week ago and got like 90 hours playtime on this.

It’s absolutely maddening how good it is.

I wonder how pretty much every game (or movie) stuggles to get even its one linear story to an acceptably good level, and this game is supposed to be great with a ton of content?
AI on the helm, Stephen King cloned? The staff consists of 1 writer for each other position?

Toots

Gold Member
17000? Pfft, that's easy:
You had sex with a bear
You DIDN'T have sex with bear
You were asked to have sex with bear, but you refused
You were NOT asked to have sex with bear
You were the squirrel looking at the bear having sex ... or not

Etc.

And this is just one minor encounter
You clearly did not see the bear naked

Kenpachii

I played divinity 2 for 700 hours, every single playthrough something new happens. the game always stays refreshing because of it. So i will believe them for sure.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I wonder how pretty much every game (or movie) stuggles to get even its one linear story to an acceptably good level, and this game is supposed to be great with a ton of content?
AI on the helm, Stephen King cloned? The staff consists of 1 writer for each other position?

It's made by a bunch of incredibly impassioned nerds who all genuinely love D&D, who have a prestigious history and who aren't privy to executive meddling.

It's being called an "anomaly" by other developers who will not be physically able to match the level of care and detail put into this thing.

It's gonna make Starfield look like Fallout 3.

Guilty_AI

Yeah that’s not for me. I like a good hand crafted story and ending. What’s the point of a story if it doesn’t have a real end.
I mean, you dont read stories to get to the end, you do it because you enjoy the time to time moments.

Though its not like i don't understand what you mean, we often appreciate stories through feeling the author's intent, and there's basically no intent to be felt when you can choose everything you do.

But the idea of a rpg is to build your own character and superimpose it onto the setting. Its less about cheering for him and more about seeing how this character you created would shape the storyline, it does require a certain amount of creativity and to be less of a mere passive observer.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I have no idea if this is the right thread to ask this question -- but I've never played 1 & 2 - should I (before jumping into 3, I mean) -- or is this gonna be a standalone story?

Guilty_AI

That seems like way too much, 98% of those endings will be futile.
Its ending variations. It accounts for stuff like who you romanced between these 9 partners or none, whether you helped a dude who went on to do x famous thing, whose side you picked in this 3 way war or none, etc.

These hypothetical scenarios alone i gave would amount to 80 ending variations already.

Last edited:
That’s what makes D&D so good, the fact that things can play out so differently depending on how the player both approaches the situation and what kind of character the player is. This to me looks like an indicator for good world building and makes the player feel empowered.

There’s a place for special handcrafted stories, not everything has to sit in that mould though. Also, the game does have an ending, it’s just player dependant.

Also, you’ve made it clear the game isn’t for you from the other BG3 thread, you don’t need to keep banging on about it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I have no idea if this is the right thread to ask this question -- but I've never played 1 & 2 - should I (before jumping into 3, I mean) -- or is this gonna be a standalone story?
Standalone story, no need to play the old stuff.

Though they're still amazing games on their own right, so no problem to consider playing them in the future.

Robb

Gold Member
Give me the bear sex stats.

100 hours of of possible bear sex cutscenes
5,000 bear sex ending variations
Over 10,000 bear sex positions

Detroit become human had so many variables that my playthrough felt genuinely mine. Best ending too for what I choose to do in the game, ie made connor evil, letting kara escape etc.
Besides its the kind of thing mass effect 3 can only dream off in 2012.

Didn't even realize this game was already out in early access

Since 2020.

As long the game is good and the devs are satisfied with the final product then I can't complain they going the extra mile. I don't care about not seeing everything the game has to offer, not everything must be spoon fed to players nowadays. Let the community discover shit together and see what will come out of it.

peish

marketing the number of endings is worse than the size of the world map imo. im down for 3-4 well crafted endings. im now worried how the plot will keep me playing with that many variations of end game..

Guilty_AI

marketing the number of endings is worse than the size of the world map imo. im down for 3-4 well crafted endings. im now worried how the plot will keep me playing with that many variations of end game..
Its not uncommon for rpgs to do this to display the amount of in-game choices you can make

Fredrik

This is the way.

Don’t think I’ll start before Starfield but after that can’t wait to play this game! Maybe I can go parallell, they’re very different.

Last edited:
Larian need to think about the content creators here. Who in their right mind is going to compile an ending compilation when there's 17000 of the damn things?!!!

Chukhopops

You can have a mix of both base endings and “slides” reflecting the decisions you made in the game.

I think it’s great when games offer this as it can also motivate you to do things differently in another playthrough.

Fredrik

Why wouldn’t the story have a real end?
There are multiple real endings and thousands of variations coming from the character variations and players choices.

Ar¢tos

You're right, they should drop this senseless "role playing" design strategy and revert to a long, finely tuned cinematic hallway that everyone can experience the same way!
You can drop names! I'm sure nobody will ban you for calling those games walking simulator moviegames. 😉

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Who has time for this? I didn't even finish P5 due to the length.
It's actually pretty good timing for PC / PS gamers I think. If you didn't play Zelda, and aren't about to play Starfield, this is probably coming at just the right time. I will probably try it sometime next year, or later. It looks pretty great.

Top Bottom