• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 contains 174 hours of possible cutscenes and 17,000 ending variations

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
At what point does it become too much and they are making a game that 99% of players will never see most of the content which is a total waste of effort and resources?
You're right, they should drop this senseless "role playing" design strategy and revert to a long, finely tuned cinematic hallway that everyone can experience the same way!

Doom85

Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

Goddamn, are we in for a treat.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The 17,000 endings thing kind of rubs me the wrong way mostly because of PowerPoint styled endings in Bethesda's Fallout games.
Yep, I think the last time we had a lot of hype around ending numbers was when Todd said Fallout 3 had 200 endings.

Which was nooooot really articulated transparently.

But BG3 certainly has a lot going on in terms of meaningful player choice.

Buggy Loop

Accounts for the races you pick, some classes i guess, the romances, the party you picked / killed, etc etc.

Makes sense that the variations would just climb up so fast.

G-Bus

Banned
Quite the year this is shaping up to be.

I had very little interest in this game and I'm now on the verge of pre-ordering.

It's too much for me if I'm to be realistic. Don't have the time this deserves. Ill have to wait for me to have a weekend to myself and nothing to do.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If it's the case that this game does a lot of things right and doesn't commit the sins of "modern gaming", it should be rewarded with money. Otherwise there's really no incentive to go the extra mile with content.

I don’t actually understand how this works - is this technically the largest rpg ever created then? Like do most choices really affect things, similar to an actual table top rpg?

stickkidsam

I can’t imagine most of those are meaningfully different. Probably just minor variations of the same ending.

I’d like to know how many distinct endings there are (e.g. impacts character arcs, the world, the resolution) but it’s still cool that there’s this much variation.

If they want to sell the game to me with those numbers... Sorry but I am too old to waste that much time in a videogame
You’re thinking of it like a completionist, instead of someone who just uniquely experiences a game for what it is. The developers want the latter. It is highly unlikely you will experience all of the hours and moments listed in one play through or even 2 or 3.

You have to let go of the completionist ideal and just have a good time.

Gold Member
See, this is the kind of shit I was expecting in 2023! Hats off to the devs for trying to give us a unique experience - looking forward to this one a lot.

At what point does it become too much and they are making a game that 99% of players will never see most of the content which is a total waste of effort and resources?
I mean, I’m not the only one that plans to play through this multiple times, right?

It’s not too much for a game like this. It’s surprising though, I didn’t expect them to go this far with it.

Top Bottom