• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 contains 174 hours of possible cutscenes and 17,000 ending variations

Skifi28

I meant people complaining they were a bad thing with FF16. Not My opinion. Pretty sure you could understand that with the…. At the end of the sentence
Ill put a question mark from now on for people who dont understand……
Then we're back to Gaf being a hivemind which you apparently never said. So yeah, some people don't like cutscenes while others do. What about it?

Kokoloko85

Then we're back to Gaf being a hivemind which you apparently never said. So yeah, some people don't like cutscenes while others do. What about it?

Your a sensitive argument soul arent you.
I made my statement. Last month plenty people complaining how FF16 has too many cutscenes. I didnt mention neogaf, or a hivemind

Last edited:

Skifi28

Your a sensitive argument soul arent you.
I made my statement. Last month plenty people complaining all over the internet how FF16 has too many cutscenes
Are the people that complained about FF the same people praising Baldur's gate for its cutscenes? I'm simply trying to understand what point you're trying to make. If they're not the same, then it simply means that different people like different things, which is hardly news.

Kokoloko85

Are the people that complained about FF the same people praising Baldur's gate for its cutscenes? I'm simply trying to understand what point you're trying to make. If they're not the same, then it simply means that different people like different things, which is hardly news.
Yes, not surprisingly though. I wasnt news it was just an observation

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can... you fuck it?

starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven.gif

Kokoloko85

That's one hell of an observation.
Why thank you.
Its pretty easy if you look around and see people flip flop with there gaming ”principles”. When the time comes, cutscenes, pacing, walking, talking become major issues. Then those issues magically disappear for other games

Skifi28

Why thank you.
Its pretty easy if you look around and see people flip flop with there gaming ”principles”. When the time comes, cutscenes, pacing, walking, talking become major issues. Then those issues magically disappear for other games
So it is the same people that complained about FF and are now praising BG for the same reason. Or are you making it up? I'm really confused.

Last edited:
That's too much.
Instead of looking at it from the perspective that you must see and do everything (one of the biggest issues with the industry at the moment) why don’t you look at how tailored the experience will be to you specifically. With that many variations, it means your playthrough of the game is really quite bespoke.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yes, there are some
Then I would suggest pointing those individuals out or quoting them directly instead of general statements like the one that sparked our discussion. There's no need to try and make the entirety of GAF appear as hypocrites for a few specific people you saw.

Filben

Never really got into BG1 and BG2 because the opening and story never clicked with me and I preferred Planescape Torment at that time. So I have no ties with the BG universe and hence no expectations of it; they can go complete nuts with it for all I care but it does look like a great cRPG.

Given that Starfield is going to need at least a month or two for major updates there's enough time to spend with BG3 instead. I'm in!

Majukun

with that many they are considering the slightest variation as a different ending, like if you let one guy die or live on a quest that becomes a new "ending"...a bit disingenuous...i'm more interested in how many "main branches" there are.

Guilty_AI

with that many they are considering the slightest variation as a different ending, like if you let one guy die or live on a quest that becomes a new "ending"...a bit disingenuous...i'm more interested in how many "main branches" there are.
Its hard to determine this kind of thing. Companions seem to have a huge impact on the story, and there'll be 10-ish or so of them. So would different combinations be a branch? Then there is how each of the 7 origin characters have their own "branch", or "branches", if you choose to play as one of them, plus the branch for your own custom character. Theres how you can either succumb to the tadpole or resist it, "good" and "evil" paths, etc.

Kokoloko85

Then I would suggest pointing those individuals out or quoting them directly instead of general statements like the one that sparked our discussion. There's no need to try and make the entirety of GAF appear as hypocrites for a few specific people you saw.
Yeah its not that important for me to go back and take quotes from last month, its just a passing comment, from an overall observation. I see people complaining about it, and then its celebrated. Simple. If you dont see it, then I really cant be bothered to explain it. Just move on. I dont need to write a thesis or get the police involved for evidence lol

Again I wasnt talking fully GAF and definitely not all of the members, just a small bunch and on other sites and social media. Next time if Im bothered, Ill record every person saying it and quote them back if its that important.

EDIT-(For example/nothing to do with Baldurs gate) Theres been plenty of people complaining about games being walking simulators or cinematic, I really dont have time to go quote and take pics from comments from 2013-2022 and show how biased they are when there praised game does it but even worse

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

But you do realize BG3 fits neither of those categories right? There is no point complaining about some perceived hypocrisy then.
Yeah thats just another example of people complaining and hypocrisy. Ill edit it for people who dont realise.
Im looking forward to Baldurs Gate

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yeah its not that important for me to go back and take quotes from last month, its just a passing comment, from an overall observation. I see people complaining about it, and then its celebrated. Simple. If you dont see it, then I really cant be bothered to explain it. Just move on. I dont need to write a thesis or get the police involved for evidence lol

Again I wasnt talking fully GAF and definitely not all of the members, just a small bunch and on other sites and social media. Next time if Im bothered, Ill record every person saying it and quote them back if its that important.

EDIT-(For example/nothing to do with Baldurs gate) Theres been plenty of people complaining about games being walking simulators or cinematic, I really dont have time to go quote and take pics from comments from 2013-2022 and show how biased they are when there praised game does it but even worse
You said they were the same people, but now you say you don't know who they are. Then how do you know they are the same? You noticed some people complaining about final fantasy having too many cutscenes, how is it relevant here then?

Kokoloko85

You said they were the same people, but now you say you don't know who they are. Then how do you know they are the same?
I said i dont have time to go back and quote every person. Not I dont know why they are

You noticed some people complaining about final fantasy having too many cutscenes, how is it relevant here then?
Its relevant because, some of the same people complaining about FF16 cutscenes say its great to have loads of cutscenes in BG3…

Anyway, no more time for you. Bye bye

Last edited:

Skifi28

Its relevant because, some of the same people complaining about FF16 cutscenes say its great to have loads of cutscenes in BG3…
We're finally getting somewhere after 20 replies, though it's easy to just make a statement like this without anything to back it up due to "lack of time". I do have to point out you have had plenty of time to keep replying to me and several other users so it might not be such a huge issue after all.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

One game gets complaints about too many cutscenes.
One gets praised.
Thats the comparison…
You'll only be seeing a fraction of the total cutscenes in one of them tho.

Sorry but this 'gotcha' you're trying to imply here makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

You'll only be seeing a fraction of the total cutscenes in one of them tho.
Cool.
If someone doesnt like cutscenes they really shouldnt be playing a Final Fantasy game anyway.

People who complain about too many cutscenes in Final Fantasy 16 have probably never played a FF since FF3.
FF4 onwards is full or stop and starts with many long conversations between characters moving the story forward. Which is now replaced with voice acting and cutscenes. Since FF7 it includes the previous plus cutscenes

Guilty_AI

People who complain about too many cutscenes in Final Fantasy 16 have probably never played a FF since FF3.
FF4 onwards is full or stop and starts with many long conversations between characters moving the story forward. Which is now replaced with voice acting and cutscenes. Since FF7 it includes the previous plus cutscenes
Cool. Now take these woes to a FF16 thread where people can like this post and chime in on how much they agree with you, because this has absolutely nothing to do with BG3 or what these 174 hours of cutscenes actually represent for the game

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Cool. Now take these woes to a FF16 thread where people can like this post and chime in on how much they agree with you, because this has absolutely nothing to do with BG3 or what these 174 hours of cutscenes actually represent for the game
QmcppGV.png

Wish that the mods would do this more for all the other times people will bring up an unrelated game/system they're salty about in a completely unrelated thread. We'd get a lot more annoying people off the forums

I think it’s awesome. You’re not meant to see everything. You’re meant to see YOUR story. It makes each players journey unique to them and their choices. This is great imo.

calistan

I think it’s awesome. You’re not meant to see everything. You’re meant to see YOUR story. It makes each players journey unique to them and their choices. This is great imo.
Death Stranding is notorious for being heavy on the cutscenes, and that's something like 8 hours in a game that's maybe 50 hours in length. So if BG3 has a similar proportion of cutscenes in a 100 hour playthrough then you're looking at maybe 16 hours of cutscenes.

That's insane - 158 hours that you'll never even see. Surely the vast majority of them will just be an automated talking head or something like that. They can't possibly have set up lighting, animation, motion capture (?) for that much content "just in case" some tiny fraction of the playerbase fulfills whatever obscure conditions are required to trigger a story event.

Fredrik

You can just start Starfield a few months post initial release. Gives enough time for some big fixing from Bethesda and modders. 😉
Been waiting for Starfield for years, I’ll be there 5 days before the release, enjoying the hilarious bugs and all.
But BG3 is so different that I’m thinking I might be able to play that as well, I’ll see what I do once the (p)reviews are out, right now things sounds great going by Fextralife.

Skifi28

What blew my mind is how animals in the game all have dialogue and quests, so who knows how much content you're missing just by having a class that can't talk to them.

Gorgon

Has the ESRB rating been posted? I think it's interesting to read it:

From the page, with some bolded sections by yours truly. Bear with me:

"This is a role-playing game in which players assume the role of a hero on a quest to cleanse an evil corruption. From an overhead perspective, players explore a fantasy kingdom, complete quests, and battle evil forces in turn-based combat. Players use weapon attacks and magic spells (e.g., poison spray, fire bolt) to defeat human-like enemies and fantasy creatures (e.g., demons, goblins, imps). Battles are sometimes frenetic, with impact sounds, cries of pain, and explosions; some attacks are depicted from a third-person viewpoint. Characters emit blood-splatter effects when hit, leaving large stains on the ground. A handful of areas depict mutilated/dismembered corpses with exposed viscera. Cutscenes contain more intense violence and gore: a man decapitated off-screen, with his severed head held up; a woman disemboweled, with exposed entrails; a character's exposed brain extracted from his skull; a bound man's eyes gouged out. In one sequence, players make dialogue choices to determine the method of violence when extracting information from a prisoner (e.g., hot poker to the thigh; butt of a spear to the groin; toenail removal); most of these acts occur off-screen, as the prisoner is seen reacting to pain. The game contains instances of nudity: characters with exposed breasts, buttocks, and genitalia. A handful of sequences depict topless characters engaging in brief sexual activity (e.g., positioning a character's head over a partner's groin area; sliding a character's hands towards a partner's crotch); the sexual acts are depicted off-screen or with obscured camera angles. One sequence depicts a nude couple on the beach moments before engaging in sexual activity—the camera pans up and the scene fades out. The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “c*ck” are heard in the game."

Top Bottom