• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in 2020, PlayStation had lower gross margins than Xbox despite a 2:1 install base advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nick Young Wtf GIF

How the fuck?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
90% of the people on this forum who foam at the mouth ever few weeks when new NPD sales tracking data releases or UK box charts.
Hyperbole, but okay.

Unit sales are a measure of success, yes. To argue otherwise is to argue ignorance. Of course, there's more to it than that and I've never seen anyone say something to the contrary. Making money is another, where PlayStation again is ahead. So, it's a pointless, bullhorn argument no matter which side of the cloth you cut.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Then there's no reason for Xbox to hide their P&L numbers or have "tough conversations" about their P&L and ROI with the Microsoft Board of Directors. (as Phil said in his other email).

I guess the easiest way would be for Phil to share Xbox GM and P&L numbers, so we can compare that with Sony's GM and P&L data and see for ourselves 🤷‍♂️

Valkyria

Banned
Something something R&D for a new console...
You know when a company pays for their bills and doesn't have a bottomless matrix that covers your expenses.

I'm guessing this is due to Sony actually putting money into software development...

I've mentioned to people for a while that Sony is trying to shore up their profitability. They've been running very lean despite their success.

Microsoft on the other hand has not really reinvested its revenue into the business.
Expanding Xbox Game studios with Zenimax and Activision is not investing into the business???

Woopah

I'm guessing this is due to Sony actually putting money into software development...

I've mentioned to people for a while that Sony is trying to shore up their profitability. They've been running very lean despite their success.

Microsoft on the other hand has not really reinvested its revenue into the business.
Microsoft can be criticised for many things this generation, but "not reinvesting" isn't one of them. They are trying to spend $70 billion on ABK.

Last edited:

Aenima

When you sell a console at a loss, the more units you sell the lesser the profits. In the long run it pays off as the install base increases, it makes the platform more atractive to developers, and having more developers putting games on your platform, makes it more atractive to gamers. Thats how you make success, not with how much profits you made in your launch year.

Klayzer

When you sell a console at a loss, the more units you sell the lesser the profits. In the long run it pays off as the install base increases, it makes the platform more atractive to developers, and having more developers putting games on your platform, makes it more atractive to gamers. Thats how you make success, not with how much profits you made in your launch year.
Man, Team Green is really desperate for some good news. Patting yourself on the back for launch year profits, is really scraping for scraps.

zedinen

PlayStation is the most profitable entertainment businesses in the world

Profit and profitability are not the same.

Long-term value creation is a function of revenue growth and return on invested capital (ROIC).

ROIC, a comprehensive measure of a company's profitability, considers both the amount of capital invested and the return generated from that capital.

It measures how much profit PlayStation generates for every yen invested.

47.5% , 41.9% ... Absolutely insane

Ish1IKU.jpg

Three

Yeah right how would they have all that info
Sony present all their data. It's MS that hide it so they only need their own to compare. Funny how the xbox people are cheering this on though. It just means they sold a lot more PS5s and that affected their margins whereas MS didn't give a shit about xbox numbers and securing an install base for their loss leading Series X.

Last edited:
Sony present all their data. It's MS that hide it so they only need their own to compare. Funny how the xbox people are cheering this on though. It just means they sold a lot more PS5s and that affected their margins whereas MS didn't give a shit about xbox numbers and securing an install base for their loss leading Series X.
That makes sense now I remember Sony didn't turn a profit on PS5 until around summer 2021

Dane

Xbox higher digital attach ratio means a bigger short term cashflow, that also includes games that are very regarded as leftovers at the bargain bin stores and possibly no longer reprinted, but still have sales on the storefront.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Their margins might be lower, but I'd wager their overall profit would still be higher. Xbox has been smart with migrating itself to a platform, to insulate itself against lower hardware sales as Sony tightens its stranglehold. The issue is that Xbox needs to scale up their subscriber counts to make bank, and they simply haven't been delivering the first party titles necessary to do that. When they add Call of Duty to Gmae Pass, I imagine we'll revisit this discussion.

nowhat

That makes sense now I remember Sony didn't turn a profit on PS5 until around summer 2021
Most consoles are sold at a loss initially, this is nothing new. The PS3 launch was nearly catastrophic for Sony, despite the high retail price Sony still made a substantial loss with each console (some estimates say up to $200). But PS3 was also one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, BluRay player at the time, so many home theater enthusiasts would just buy it without spending much (or at all) on games. Not suggesting it was the same with PS5, I'm assuming we're in the same ballpark as with PS4 (during PS4 launch Sony stated that they'd need to sell a single full-priced game to break even).

twilo99

You don't need to own an Xbox console or even a PC for that matter to play many Xbox games. This is why Microsoft has invested and will continue to invest heavily in cloud.

Xbox is more of a bring your own device situation.. for example, you can play Starfield on a $200 Chromebook if you wanted to, but if you want to play Spider Man 2, you can only do so on a PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom