• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVGN - Ecco the Dolphin!

ntropy

i loved this game as a kid. good graphics, great controls, memorable moments (blue whale!)
the ending reminds me of Half Life

Carna

Banned
He didn't even make it to that giant xenomorph head that freaks the hell out of people who played this game.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I havent watched one of his videos in ages, but remember his first years were funny as he would talk more like a normal guy making snarky comments while he plays.

Then it turned staged with fake overdramatized acting, or you could tell he practiced the lines or it's him literally speaking into the camera.

Then that guitar buddy was in more videos.

Now the guy is probably 40 years old by now and still doing the same schitick from 10 years ago?
He's still doing the same shtick because AVGN videos are easily the most successful ones on his channel. I can pretty much guarantee this video will hit a million views within a week.

He also does a lot of other content, like Monster Madness, James and Mike Mondays, Board James, and Rental Reviews, but the Nerd videos are the most popular and still get the biggest views by far, so that's why he does them.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Well it's not like the other channel content is getting much attention, the only vids coming close to one million views are the ones with AVGN in the title. Part of the problem is these screenwave guys they brought on are just unlikeable oafs for the most part. Compare that to something like RedLetterMedia, where you have multiple different hosts that compliment each other and have unique insights to offer. The Cinemassacre attempt at aping them with Rental Reviews was just sad in comparison, James is the only one with anything interesting to say.

I don't even think that's true anymore. Feels like the oher guys are the one doing most of the talking, and James is all "uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, yeaaaah, uh huh" :/

Codswallop_

Neophyte
I don't even think that's true anymore. Feels like the oher guys are the one doing most of the talking, and James is all "uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, yeaaaah, uh huh" :/

Yeah, you're not wrong sadly. He actually nodded off during at least one James & Mike Monday. Maybe that's why they stopped doing them, his passion for games just isn't what it was.

zkfn9lv6kbk41.png

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Ecco was always boring trash. Swim in this hole! Squeak at this chrystal! Are you having fun yet?

No, not yet. Not ever.

Faithless83

Banned
First game is brutally hard but the second improves on everything.
Ecoo tides of time is a must play for sure if you want something fresh.

ntropy

So its not as bad as AVGN is making it out to be? Despite the bad-level design?
AVGN doesn't know what he's talking about.
he complains about breathing, but there's plenty of spots for replenishment.
and if you find it hard to find breathing spots, then it's a tell that you prob shouldn't venture far to get what you're looking for
use the map and you'll be fine

I like avgn but somehow on last 2-4 years James just sounds like complete dumbass or he doesnt care a shit about anything.

Like someone talks about something that 5 year old should know and he is just "uh oh yeah oh I didnt know that"

Like really basic stuff and he is clueless. It is weird, because I didnt think he is stupid but somehow he gives that image when he is not in character.

Maybe he doesnt sleep at all etc.

But sad to hear that he have outsourced his scripts. They have indeed been different/off

BlackM1st

Banned
AVGN is just like the Simpsons. I can rewatch his old episodes 10 times in a row while his new videos is a soulless parody of AVGN of old. His board james series is the last good and genuinely fun videos he made.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
AVGN is just like the Simpsons. I can rewatch his old episodes 10 times in a row while his new videos is a soulless parody of AVGN of old. His board james series is the last good and genuinely fun videos he made.

They had gold on their hands with Bootsy Beats, shame about whatever happened to cause their falling out. I would have watched the hell out of that series for other games.

Last edited:

thief183

Yea.... I love AVGN but you can totally notice that it is not him writing the script anymore, it looks fake and forced... also at least if you are doing a video about ECCO you should focus on the last part (the strangest part) and the background of the game, Damn JAMES YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE BACKGROUND OF ECCO!!!

MiguelItUp

I'll never understand the mindset of looking at a thread and being like, "Ah yeah, that thing sucks. But, I should just go in there just to tell everyone I think that thing sucks."

Alright.

I still have a lot of respect for AVGN as he's still getting by and going. I'd imagine that's pretty hard considering how far he's been active and how much the youtubers/influencer platform has changed.

Echo really wigged me out as a kid when it took the wild turns into wtf territory, haha. I remember the game making me so uncomfortable. Will need to watch this.

Hestar69

AVGN and Gamesack are the only ones I watch on YouTube, never gets old for me.
Same for me but throw in the game chasers aswell...

The new episode wasn't that bad.. But yeah,they coulda done much more with the game and episode but it is what it is...

If you want old AVGN just watch mike mateai stream.That man loves playing the hardest games/hardest challenges.There you will get legit non scripted rage,lol.

Videospel

I found it pretty funny, but was a bit disappointed that he didn't talk more about the game's story, it's actually pretty epic. And the shell he raged about, you can actually pick it up with your nose from the bottom if you just dive down, touch the bottom and press up again. I figured that out when I was like 6 years old. That said, it's a very hard game and I didn't get very far.

Top Bottom