• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers Beta Impressions

Nico_D

The Hulk part probably wasn't the best side of the game to show off in beta. It was quite long sequence too.

Captain America felt the most fun what little I could play him.

The game looks good, the story looks pretty bad with some slightly cringy voice acting (especially Thor). Loot is bullshit, hate that "gear but with a bigger number" thing.

But my daughter liked it a lot so there's that.

jaysius

Banned
You can play the game right now on PS4 but you'll get internet connection errors, I guess until the beta actually "Starts".

The game is amazing lets you relive all your favorite movie moments, like that scene where Hulk goes "HULK NEED GRIND FOR BETTER GEAR!".

Seriously fuck this game. Parts of the level design are just awful, the only good thing I see out this is that they wasted the Avengers IP not another great childhood IP like Transformers or something.

All the characters are VERY SIMILAR, yes hulk is slower but they all have ranged attacks, all feel about the same.

Are all the characters voiced by Nolan North? I can't tell anymore.

Also Thor's and Captain America's voices are atrocious "tough guy making deep voice" sounding instead of hiring a person with an actual deep voice.

This thing is a mess.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Captain America felt the best but only got to play him for like 2 mins (maybe that’s why).

Can‘t imagine what would keep people coming back to this game like they do in something like destiny or war frame. The combat is just so sloppy. Just thinking about the time sync to lvl up all the heroes, madness.

Pick up the switch marvel game if u want a better time, spider man is in it now.

Warnen

The switch game was awful.

yeah but at least it’s not a live service sub par beat em up with holding a major hero from 2/3 of the platforms it’s on.

Avengers being a live service game and being that dull should be a crime. If it was a normal game with out the gear and shit I prob would play thru it but dam, live service games should last years and I was board out of my mind in less then 3hr.

back to fall guys till new light hits.

also on pc it some how runs really good and fucking terrible at the same time. Runs smooth and looks ok (very bland really but passable) Yet randomly just stalls out and speeds back up to catch up to the sound in a cutscene.

Last edited:

RNG

SK5JV7B.jpg

Does anybody else get this black shit happening often? I have to constantly open and close the character item screen to fix it.

Stuart360

Been watching someone play this for a bit, it bored me to tears. It seems really linear and dated gameplay wise. Just give me a game like Sony's Spiderman game. Could you imagine an open world Avengers game like that?.

raduque

I nabbed a beta key from Intel and live streamed the prologue and the Hulk section. Kamala Khan's section was kind of fun with the giant clap and swinging around on lights and what not, but Hulk was a little boring. No real dodge, and no countering ability (like Arkham - those games really set the standard for 3rd person melee combat!) make it a chore to play.

I don't know if I'll go back to this one during the beta period (it ends Sunday, IIRC), but I might pick it up when it goes bargain bin.

I don’t dislike it however I’m concerned that the mission structure and design will be samey throughout the full release and I’m not entirely thrilled with the online set up.

Anyone else keep getting “No Internet Connection “ pop up frequently while playing? It’s jarring as fuck.

Hustler

You can play the game right now on PS4 but you'll get internet connection errors, I guess until the beta actually "Starts".

The game is amazing lets you relive all your favorite movie moments, like that scene where Hulk goes "HULK NEED GRIND FOR BETTER GEAR!".

Seriously fuck this game. Parts of the level design are just awful, the only good thing I see out this is that they wasted the Avengers IP not another great childhood IP like Transformers or something.

All the characters are VERY SIMILAR, yes hulk is slower but they all have ranged attacks, all feel about the same.

Are all the characters voiced by Nolan North? I can't tell anymore.

Also Thor's and Captain America's voices are atrocious "tough guy making deep voice" sounding instead of hiring a person with an actual deep voice.

This thing is a mess.

I wondering this. I just downloaded the game and get internet connection issues every minute or two....it's really jarring. Hate to say it, but so far the game is extremely bland feeling. you do each move 1 time to progress through the character sections with little to no freedom of outcome or difficulty. I feel like I'm just going through the motions and the move are clunky at best. For example: Captain America's jump over move? Didn't consistently pop off like it should and I would just dodge around the guy.

Just got past the SF section, so the jury is still out on how I feel about the game.

llLeonhart

I tried it for about ten to fifteen minutes on Brutal. Gotta say.. Not a fan of the combat so far, maybe I should've began at an easier difficulty, but I really don't like the overall feel.

Camera needs some work and the initial level is super constricted, are all levels in the BETA tight corridors?.

Granted, I need some more time with it.

Warnen

Played again to unlock all guy and man I can’t see playing these missions over and over. So one note. Game feels like a ps2 era 3D beat em up. the idea of Gear in this game is only there to keep ya grinding, should just be a skill tree. As I was unlocking moves the combat was getting better but not enough to keep the loot grind going.

every second Im playing I’m wishing it was a better game like Spider man, can imagine how bad he will be in this scam of a game.

So I played the PS4 pro version last week and just got done with the Xbox one x version of the single player mission....will be interested to see the Side by side on this game cause in my view it seems like the Xbox one x graphics are way more crisp.

going to build a might/resolve build and see how big of a difference playing this week compare to last week when I just put the highest power gears that had the coolest secondary effects for hulk.

FYI if you go into your gear page and you press down on your right analog you will see your hero stats.

iconmaster

Banned
Here is the kicker. I played the same beta. and let's not be daft. You can tell, just as easily as I, that most of these comments are made after people played the tutorial.

Well no, I can’t tell that; though I can’t rule it out either. The more likely explanation to my mind is others played about as much of the game as you did but came away with different impressions. That’s fine, right?

jaysius

Banned
Some of the laziness of the game feels almost like a F2P game, like Hulk has a wall jump move, the walls are what we've grown to accept as a "wall run" but instead of running on the wall he does a really bad grab animation. The game really feels like it would be great if it had came out 2-3 years ago. The fact that they can't get it a stable 60 FPS on a PS4 Pro, with it's overall look, is bad.

There are really odd corners cut, also the feeling of the characters doesn't strike me as AAA studio quality.

The voice acting is like nails in your ears for Thor, Capt America and almost the rest.

The loot aspect feels so tacked on it hurts. The idea that these SUPER HEROS that can do ANYTHING need stupid incremental upgrades of gear not to die... it's just too much of a leap for me.

The entire thing is generic AF, they could have used a whole new IP and they wouldn't have gotten the attention, but they also wouldn't have garnered so much ire.

FlyLo

The single player seems like a bit of a snoozefest, but I can see the Destiny type missions being awesome on PS5/XSX/PC with ~4k/60fps. It kinda chugs on the base consoles.

I dunno if it's the combination of the terrible, performance, camera and motion blur but the game was giving me a headache. It's still somewhat mindless fun, like an over the shoulder Ultimate Alliance. Doesn't seem worth it at the price they're asking for but I might consider it for $20.

RNG

I dunno if it's the combination of the terrible, performance, camera and motion blur but the game was giving me a headache. It's still somewhat mindless fun, like an over the shoulder Ultimate Alliance. Doesn't seem worth it at the price they're asking for but I might consider it for $20.
Might be the low FOV for you.

Rikkori

Got my hands on a key, quite liking it so far. Game is gonna be a big hit imo.

- It's a bit too on-rails most of the time
- Writing is typical Marvel cringe but not too bad
- I end up fighting the camera a lot, it's something they need to focus more on & allow us to modify FOV
- The controls aren't super-tight and the fights therefore don't go as smoothly as possible usually
- Obvious asset streaming stutters present through transitions but mostly ok during gameplay; would be curious to see a ridiculous PC handle it (10900k, titan rtx, optane storage etc)
- HDR calibration seems off, I basically maxed out both sliders and it looks alright on my XF90 but I'm not sure that's how it should work
- The skill-sets are quite nice, but it takes a bit of getting used to. Initially I didn't enjoy the heros when I played the tutorial area but the next section with Hulk + Kamala were ACE!
- She-hulk is gonna be fantaaaaaaastic!
- Performance isn't too bad on my temporary rig (rx480 - 1440p & ultra = 30 fps; 1080p & high/med = 55-60 fps)

All in all, I think I'm gonna end up buying this once I get a new GPU, just waiting on Nvidia. It's gonna be a good time for sure!

MiguelItUp

There have been a number of folks saying the game makes them sick and games never make them sick. So it could be a combination of the effects and camera. It's definitely disorienting at times.

Nico_D

I watched the skill up guy talking about hulk having spine upgrade loot and I just about fell out of my chair

That, the whole loot/gear thing, is what is pushing me away from buying the game. The game isn't too innovative in the first place but that is just a lazy way to make it seem more rpg-like but it ends up feeling like Excel instead.

Irrelevant numeric gear micromanagent is the one thing I don't want to see in rpgs.

Playing the Hulk sequence on the PS4 Pro made me a bit dizzy. I hope that by the time the game is released on the consoles that there will be an option to turn OFF motion blur!

THEAP99

Banned
I played it this evening.

My thoughts:
Marvel’s Avengers is already pretty uninteresting from the start of the game as you can see really lame graphics, character models, voice acting, and enemies. But the combat does seem to be somewhat enjoyable I suppose. Sadly, the looter game design makes it even worse than it already was & I can’t take hulk seriously stopping to unlock some stupid box. I am disappointed Sony wasted money on this uninspired childish multiplayer junk.

As soon as that loot menu came up, i deleted the beta. Simply uninspired and bad. It will be a pass for me on this one.

M.W.

I think it’s a blast.....I really don’t know what to compare it too.

im going to guess that end game is going to be 3 maxed out categories when you start getting legendary.

if their end game Dungeons are good I think it will be awesome.

Yep, game is going to be damn fun.

Nico_D

Multiplayer is okay but as it is wave based, I can imagine it getting boring after a while. I didn't expect much from this game, very mediocre effort. But if my daughter really wants it, I may get it for her.

Kagey K

Banned
I can’t play this until next weekend, but based off feedback I’m getting from my friends it’s basically everyone that loves Destiny thinks this is all right to good, everyone that hates Destiny thinks it’s not great.

Im not a fan of Destiny, but willing to give it a chance to win me over,

Last edited:
Ive played a few hours and its rather dull tbh, like a cheap knock off of the similar games, it will sell loads though due to it being Avengers.

Mr.ODST

Played last weekend and this weekend, its extremely dull and boring, not much to switch up the gameplay or the missions.

It says more that I had way more fun with Anthem than I did with this game.

Kagey K

Banned
I can feel the daily and weekly logins for shards coming.

It’s just a half step, away from where the game is at.

Warnen

Canned my preorder last night, as much as I like marvel and really wanted a new one of them games this game just sucks.

Rikkori

So they said what they were going to improve in the PS5 edition compared to the pro, so I decided to test it out on PC. Since I don't know if they'll go full 4K on PS5 I decided to hedge my bets. I took for the Pro screenshot at 1440p, for the PS5 at 1440p and 4K. On the Pro they're doing checkerboard rendering but it varies wildly. On the PS5 it's not unlikely it will just be dynamic 4K. We'll see.

Scene 1 (Pro vs PS5 QHD vs PS5 UHD):
50228806182_619c190f84_o.jpg

50227943453_0441537ca7_o.jpg

50228585651_37d22610d2_o.jpg

Scene 2 (Pro vs QHD vs UHD):
50228585591_f81e623d83_o.jpg

50227943368_0e8cf5f82f_o.jpg

50227943328_cd960643ef_o.jpg

Excuse the inexact match, had to exit game in order to disable ultra textures & the photo mode is kinda sucky. If anyone wants to take actual PS4 Pro screenshots be my guest, I'll try to match them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom