• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers Beta Impressions

alstrike

If I were a betting man, my money would be on SE.

Pretty obvious isn't it?

I wonder what the sales projections for the game are, thinking back with all the Tomb Raider kerfuffle I can only imagine what numbers they are aiming for this time around.

DavidGzz

Max quit. Looks like it sucks. Will wait to try it on next gen systems, maybe they will fix some of the issues. He said the camera, motion blur, camera shake, and framerate were bad and giving him a headache. He liked Cpt America though, I guess.

Gediminas

Banned
loading is bad. matchmaking is not working.
level cap 15, so you can't unlock a lot.
loot game, with barely any loot,all icons nearly the same and don't impact how you are looking. heroic moves loading way too slow.
those elite enemies bullets sponges or punches sponges.
game has dodge but it does nothing actually.
punching has no variety.

1 month til release, it does not look good.

graphics are just bare minimum compare with other games.

trikster40

Eh, I just don’t know. It’s a bit mindless, I hate how long you have to charge your power attack to disable shields, and I just don’t know how long the combat is going to be tolerable.

If this game was anything but Avengers, I’m not sure inpressions would be so positive.

I’ll keep playing the beta and see if it grabs me. I do like their Hulk.

I just realized this game is a next gen console launch game, and that if you buy the PS4/One X version you get the free upgrade to the next gen versions.
So I think no matter how good or bad the game actually is, it's going to sell a shit ton.

I've been playing the beta and it's fun enough, but I think a good sign for the game is that my 5 year old really enjoys it. The tie in with Fortnite was also brilliant, as I personally would never have even tried it otherwise.

Exanthus

Banned
He didn't like it:

Daily throttle and level caps? This is beyond ridiculous CD (and SE)

Yikes, I didn't know about each character having there own pass. And the progression throttling is giving me Halo Reach flash backs, with throttling the amount of credits you could get per day to buy armor.

DavidGzz

So, I'm always going back and forth on my plans for next gen but if this gets good reviews it can get me to actually splurge on a PS5 for launch. I hope it has enhancements from the get go.

Bodom78

Wishful thinking but I hope this flops and brings an end to the whole live service grind nonsense.

I probably would have enjoyed and actual Avengers game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got the invite, but haven’t done anything with it. I bet it’ll be awesome for those just wanting a beat ‘me up collect-a-thon with an Avengers theme attached to it.
I don’t think they were trying to make a game similar to Insomniac’s Spider-Man. I think it’ll satisfy most average fans imagination.

I just wish we’d get more 90’s Marvel games or at least do something with the X-MEN. They’re milking Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, and the Hulk dry. Anything outside the norm could be more than welcome. The only reason I rolled my eyes at this game was that it screamed “play the game inspired by those 10+ Marvel films”. The cover looks like a movie poster from the first Avenger’s film.

GymWolf

I'm gonna try the beta on pc when it comes out, not impressed by the footage but the graphic looks pretty good.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
"Gameplay"

Push button, do awesome things, 0 challenge.
Yes, this is the initial combat, but if a game starts like this, the chances you'll see actual challenge before the credits roll is about 10%.

I'm sure it makes a lot of easily impressionable people feel super powerful, though :goog_rolleyes:

Last edited:

Skifi28

This could have been great if made something like spiderman (not necessarily full open world), but making a loot-based game out of it is a terrible idea that just doesn't work.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

looking forward to playing this next weekend, i am getting it on xbox since my Pro is a jet engine

its gonna be annoying missing out on spidey but i am not gonna skip on the game until PS5 comes out

xn0

Maybe after this mediocre beta feedback they'll finally announce some MCU skins.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I thought the single player was ok, maybe a touch boring (possibly disjointed but that could be because it is heavily edited for the beta).. but man did it come alive in multiplayer. Remember that first scene in Age of Ultron when all the Avengers are working together? That is exactly what it's like.

I played the Hulk and it does for him what Insomniac did for Spiderman. They really nailed his controls. The way he bounds about just like the movies. The level I played felt like Battlefield, trying to hold onto a control point with a team of heroes.

The graphics are AMAZING. I really think this is the game that pushes my PS4 Pro to its absolute limits in terms of heat and fan noise. It isn't always that smooth though, I think the 60fps PS5 mode will make the game ALOT better.

The skins look good but I hope they don't lean to heavily into funny/cute skins as it could break the immersion.

Over all pleased but I'm defo going to try to make sure I have friends to play it with day 1 as it is ten times more fun. Think Ultimate Alliance Next Gen.

So I unlocked a snow mission that you can only do one time....you get access to the mission in a bunker from looking for it with the little radar up in the left corner.

if you get this mission...make sure you do everything on the map before you do the bunker cause it disappears after.

Darko

I gave up on it when I kept dying as the elastic girl.. It’s a solid game but might not be for me... btw I hope I don’t have to replay all these misssions when the full game comes out :(

Neolombax

Looking forward for the open beta to try it out myself. Loot not being a visual thing in a loot game bothers me quite a bit, but I can understand their reasoning for this. Skins look fine, but the one thing Destiny/Diablo does better than most loot games out there, in my opinion, is the representation of loot. Games like Anthem which only changed the look of the gun and the ability effects are fun for a while, but the fashion game sometimes carry games like these too.

The game is fun, people acting like all of the missions will be the same thing because the beta doesn't offer a ton of variety aren't thinking clearly IMO. This was a beta, they weren't going to give us the best parts of the game early on. Is the gameplay super deep? not really but how deep are shooters? you point and shoot lol yeah you get different guns and can pick different classes but the most popular MP games out there are all pretty mindless and just full of reactionary gameplay. The game is a lot more fun that I thought it would be and much to my surprise I had the most fun playing with Kamala Khan and Black Widow, I had no interest in either one of them before I played the game but they both feel really good to use. Hulk needs some buffs, he's slower than the rest but his attacks don't seem to do a whole lot more damage.

Played for three days straight

Nice game for a no brain mode, reminded me the good old tie in days, game is not perfect by any means, but still good for a beta imho

Will buy at sale price asap, the thing I appreciated the most is how good they nailed every avenger perfect feel, every character actually felt like his own and not a skin swap like usually happens in this type of game

Only downside for me is Kamala, can't stand a semi unknown brat for a whole campaign lol
Without sjw stuff and with a more known mc, this game Would be 100x more appealing

Certinty

Happy to buy this at launch I think, love how all the characters play differently and the story missions don't seem low effort. As long as the rest of the story missions are similar and the game is of a similar length I'm sold.

Even the online part of the game seems alright, fun with friends just a little repetitive but that's tolerable.

I hereby wanna thank Bungie for ruining gaming forever. xD
Not wrong.
I said it earlier in the thread but unless things change drastically between now and launch, this is going to be another Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. Probably won't score as low (it's not as buggy as Breakpoint was), but it's not going to be the critical darling that SE hopes it will be.

It'll probably still sell gangbusters, though.

Last edited:
The game's look like trash but i'm not the target audience so i'm pretty sure they did their market research and the game will do gang buster.

Shill up and Worth a Buy are about THE last guys I'd listen to though.

Top Bottom