• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER is coming to Netflix on February 22, 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member

Always remember who you are…The four nations of the world once lived in harmony, with the Avatar, master of all four elements, keeping peace between them. But everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked and wiped out the Air Nomads, the first step taken by the firebenders towards conquering the world.AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER, follows a young Air Nomad named Aang, as he reawakens to a world ravaged by war. Together with his newfound friends Sokka and Katara, he embarks on an action-packed quest to take his rightful place as the next AVATAR.

Last edited:

Fbh

CG looks a bit wonky and costumes look way too clean like in most modern productions.

But it does look pretty great

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Oof those CGIs need some work. Other than that, I know nothing about the anime and was planning to watch it before the show. I heard only good things.

Doom85

I was a little worried when it seemed they might try to make Aang too serious, but that smile at the end was reassuring.

Now, to fit the medium better, I do think the extremely energetic behavior of him should be toned to a degree. Still present, but to make the character seem plausible in live action. Luffy’s actor in the live action One Piece nailed this, knowing when to be very energetic and over the top but at the right moments and less frequently compared to the anime to fit the live action medium better.

But yeah, looks promising so far.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Avatar : the Last airbender is for me the best animated show ever.

This trailer looks promising.

Last edited:

kikkis

I haven't seen any anime. I dont like the animations. But this looks interesting since it's live action. Does something similar that's really good exist, I could watch before this?

Xenon

Not bad. Still far too serious, but could be just the tone of the trailer. The only real miscast for me seems to be Iro, But I'll have to hear him speak to make a final judgment. The emperor is probably the best cast. I mean it's like a hundred percent spot on.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I for some reason thought that the original creators were involved with this, but they abandoned it?

From 2020 https://www.ign.com/articles/avatar...longer-involved-in-netflix-live-action-series :
"And who knows?" DiMartino continues. "Netflix’s live-action adaptation of Avatar has the potential to be good. It might turn out to be a show many of you end up enjoying. But what I can be certain about is that whatever version ends up on-screen, it will not be what Bryan and I had envisioned or intended to make."

Also 2020 https://www.newsweek.com/avatar-las...chael-dante-dimartino-bryan-konietzko-1524849 :
Konietzko, meanwhile, was more scathing about the process on his Instagram post. He wrote: "When Netflix brought me on board to run this series alongside Mike two years ago, they made a very public promise to support our vision. Unfortunately, there was no follow-through on that promise." He later slammed what he called a "negative and unsupportive environment."

According to IMDB Konietzko and DiMartino have written one or two episodes for the show though, but neither seems to be directing. But they seem to be involved in an upcoming 2025 animated Avatar movie.

Honestly, this doesn't inspire confidence. The animated show had a very special atmosphere and chemistry between the characters. I don't think this Albert Kim guy has the chops for it, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Pidull

I for some reason thought that the original creators were involved with this, but they abandoned it?

From 2020 https://www.ign.com/articles/avatar...longer-involved-in-netflix-live-action-series :

Also 2020 https://www.newsweek.com/avatar-las...chael-dante-dimartino-bryan-konietzko-1524849 :

According to IMDB Konietzko and DiMartino have written one or two episodes for the show though, but neither seems to be directing. But they seem to be involved in an upcoming 2025 animated Avatar movie.

Honestly, this doesn't inspire confidence. The animated show had a very special atmosphere and chemistry between the characters. I don't think this Albert Kim guy has the chops for it, but hopefully I'm wrong.
I thought the same and only recently found out Bryan and Mike were no longer involved in the project for creative differences.

Maybe it'll be good, but I cancelled my Netflix long ago anyway so whatever.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I would say it’s worth a watch it doesn’t have to be as good as the anime tv show.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

From what I recall reading early last year... The original show creators didn't want a retread of the original story ... Netflix did. That's why they left ... They wanted to create a new story set only a few years later .... Which is what their Avatar animated movie will be

DelireMan7

With this thread I learn that the original creators aren't involved in the Netflix show... Sad news...

BUT at the same time I learn that they're working on an animated Movie set after the original series ?! Count me fully hyped !

Jinzo Prime

With this thread I learn that the original creators aren't involved in the Netflix show... Sad news...

BUT at the same time I learn that they're working on an animated Movie set after the original series ?! Count me fully hyped !
They also made Korra, so it's not like they have a perfect track record or anything.

DelireMan7

They also made Korra, so it's not like they have a perfect track record or anything.
Korra is definitely not at Avatar : TLAB level but I appreciate it.
I wouldn't call it bad. And to be fair, to live up the expectation set by The Last Airbender is quite a difficult task. I am rewatching it at the moment and damn ! It's so good ! Perfect mix of goofy, action, interesting theme and character. And I love the animation

kunonabi

The first season of Korra was good, but they only planned for the one.
Eh, first season was fine was until the ending which completely ruined the whole thing. I'd argue season 3 is probably the strongest of the series although the ending also kind of sucks. Seasons 2 and 4 are just trash.

Top Bottom