• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiobook OT

TrainedRage

Banned
So I know we have a book topic but honestly I just don’t actually read very much these days. However I have gotten really into Audible and audiobooks.

I started with Patrick Rothfuss ‘My Name Is The Wind’ - Imagine the Witcher mixed with LoTR and not as much singing. Amazing adventure that sucks you in after about 30 min. Monsters in a poorly lit tavern is a great way to set the stage.

Im also trying ‘The Institute’ by Stephen King. It’s a newer book by him and kinda reminds me of Stranger Things mashed with Twin Peaks. Obviously the character building is top notch. Also the person reading the story does a great job of using distinct voices for each character. It’s very easy to listen to and puts you right in the streets of the small mysterious town.

Just downloaded ‘Run’ by Blake Crouch. Haven’t gotten too far but the plot is really weird. Bodies are being found in mass graves with limbs cut apart etc. Power in the town is out and people in the place are starting to go crazy on each other. It follows the investigation and subsequent disasters. Hits the ground running for sure. Again very well read and easy to imagine the characters.

How about you GAF what are some good Audiobooks? I know the Star Wars books are pretty fun on audio due to the sound effects and production and music. What do you like?

Tesseract

Banned
contact, jodie foster

i am legend, robertson dean

neuromancer, william gibson

starship troopers, lloyd james

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
audiobooks are awesome, always have one going with music to keep my mind busy

decent availability on youtube, regularly reuploaded from audible and the like

re: nonfiction, check out rubicon or in the shadow of the sword by tom holland

T8SC

How hard are these to follow if you never played or don’t know the lore. I have seen them in the past and they look fun but seem to have a high bar for entry.

Start with Horus Rising, work from there. As Tesseract says, keep a Wiki handy for anything that's unknown.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've mentioned this one before but here goes:

A single audible credit ($15) gets you 85 hours of awesome. It's a fun story and really well narrated.

If all that leaves you thirsty for more (as it did for me) then there are also these two series, set in the same universe:

TrainedRage

Banned
I've mentioned this one before but here goes:

A single audible credit ($15) gets you 85 hours of awesome. It's a fun story and really well narrated.

If all that leaves you thirsty for more (as it did for me) then there are also these two series, set in the same universe:

Nice! I will have to check those out. I love how you can get so many hours for a single credit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nice! I will have to check those out. I love how you can get so many hours for a single credit.
Honestly, that's what initially drew me to the series. However, what I found was a fun mix of FIrefly, Star Trek: TNG, and space wizards. The world building is exceptional.

The follow up series, Astral Prime is really similar in tone to Star Trek: Deep Space 9 and Babylon 5. Mercy For Hire, the other spin off, has some Star Trek Voyager / monster-of-the-week feels to it. Everything ties together really nicely. Easily one of my favorite audiobook series, possibly also in my "favorite book series" column as well.

SirTerry-T

One of my absolute favourites that I have listened too over and over.

A fascinating historical story based around The Long Rage Desert Corps during the Africa campaigns of WW2. Great narration by Alfred Molina and the plot is awesome. The film rights to the book were purchased by Disney, of all people, but the movie never surfaced. A real shame.

RedVIper

Banned
The martian was one of my favourite audiobooks, I really liked the first person style it's presented in, since most of the time you're listening to vlogs

bajouras

How hard are these to follow if you never played or don’t know the lore. I have seen them in the past and they look fun but seem to have a high bar for entry.
Aint that hard. To keep on the topic of audiobooks, Id recommend reading the Eisenhorn saga. Very exciting, cool narrator and pretty much gives you all the bases of what Warhammer 40k is all about. After that you have loads of other stuff to read. There are also some good YouTube lore channels such as luetin09.

Top Bottom