• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novid

Banned
I have a feeling this might not be good for consumers, but its helps APPLE big time. This deal hurts Google and Android.

As for Sprint, they will not be so hurt as though they might be weakend for a bit.

If there is only major winner in this deal are the smaller carrers. Even though many of them are connected with the larger carrers Im sensing massive migrations to these smaller carrers, as well as MetroPCS which has no where to go but up.

clav

Will my rate plan change because of the acquisition?

We will honor all contracted plans that are entered into before the change of ownership.

Ruh roh. Prepaid users are fucked.

Ephemeris

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Yeah I heard the news when I awoke this morning.

Let me break this down for those that don't understand the magnitude of this meltdown.

My T-Mobile Phone Bill = $79.99 after tax and fees.
What I get.
*Unlimited Nights and Weekends with Free Roaming
*Unlimited Data throttled after 5GB per month with Free Data Roaming on ATT's Edge
*Unlimited Messaging and Unlimited Messaging when Roaming
*Unlimited Voice Mail with Free Visual Voice Mail also when Roaming
*Unlimited Free calling 24/7 to any one of 5 numbers in the US and Canada (This can be landline or cellphone and roaming is free and I can change them once per month.)
*450 Anytime Minutes when I rarely use any of since I get unlimited on everything else.
*Tethering is an additional $15 per month but, Tmobile hasn't said anything to those of us that Tether anyway. After all using my phone for data is using my phone for data.

All this on a Rooted MyTouch 3G Slide running 3rd sense with cached Apps2SD card.
The only downside is coverage but, lately even that has been much better since Tmobile is forcing phones in limited range to drop to G (56k) signal. This greatly improves and extends voice reception and has completely ended the dropped calls I used to get. If I need Edge, I can't get 3G at my house, I just switch to Roaming and I'm on. I get 3G just about anywhere else except my house and school but, both of these places have wifi.

So just to recap... No other carrier in the US offers this at this price or at any price.
NO ONE!

My T-Mobile Phone Bill = about $110 after tax and fees.
Two Lines.
700 Whenever minutes
Myfaves for both lines.
*Unlimited Nights and Weekends
*Unlimited Data throttled after 5GB per month on 1 of the lines.
*Unlimited Messaging for both lines

and starting next month, 10% off.

Gonna be grandfathered in this bitch till they offer something better. Only the Sero Boys got it better.

Though Verizon's unlimited LTE for $30 is the new god tier.

Shadow780

Bah, Sprint don't have EVO online, have to go to the store on Monday.

Anyone from NYC want to share their experience with Sprint?

clav

Shadow780 said:
Bah, Sprint don't have EVO online, have to go to the store on Monday.
Sprint will announce new phones on Tuesday. You might want to wait a bit before deciding on EVO.

fse

sleepykyo said:
As someone who was using SBC for dsl then watched the rates go up (while the speed remained the same) after AT&T bought them, nooooooooo. What was the point of breaking up PacBell?

Also isn't AT&T about start putting dsl caps on in may?

150GB for dsl and 250GB for uverse.
:(

kehs

Banned
Funny side note, I was at denny's and overheard some girl shout out" Att bought tmobile!" to her friend.

Takao said:
And so it begins Americans.

Prepare to have only 2 choices of ISPs in your entire country.
that's pretty much the case already. It's either your local cable provider or your landline provider. It's too bad FIOS isn't available in more areas.

Used-ID

Fuck. I guess it's just a matter of time before AT&T ups their prices for fewer minutes.

How long before AT&T decides that 100MB of data a month should be billed at $30? 14 months?

And T-Mobile was my 'out' too.

gbovo

Elfforkusu said:
Son of a bitch! I switched to t-mobile specifically to escape from those assholes!

So GAF, verizon or sprint?
I ran to Cingular 6 years ago to avoid AT&T, then AT&T bought them out. Then I ran to T-Mobile to avoid them, and now they've been bought out too!! I swear they'll chase me to hell before I stay on their network. I'm switching to Verizon when the next iPhone comes out!!

maruchan

back to the future gets it right again..
Atandtlogo2015.PNG

Tymerend

I've been with T-mobile for a while. I love(d) having their coverage without a contract and actually having it be cheaper than WITH one.

That, plus their customer service was wonderful.

God damn AT&T.

Ashhong

giga said:
12 months is the estimate.

But the purchase is happening immediately right? I wonder if ATT would start raising the prices for new contract plans on T-mobile sooner than that.

Acid08

Banned
So I have T-Mobile for the next 2 months, will this effect me in any way? Stuff like network strain or pricing on a new plan?

I don't want to be an ATT customer :/

I just got a 2 year T-Mobile contract last summer. My family of 5 gets 5 phones, unlimited texts to anyone, unlimited calls to all T-Mobile customers, 1000 minutes between the phones, and 1 unlimited data phone for 150 dollars a month.

I just don't see ATT offering that kind of value.

mj1108

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Yeah I heard the news when I awoke this morning.

Let me break this down for those that don't understand the magnitude of this meltdown.

My T-Mobile Phone Bill = $79.99 after tax and fees.
What I get.
*Unlimited Nights and Weekends with Free Roaming
*Unlimited Data throttled after 5GB per month with Free Data Roaming on ATT's Edge
*Unlimited Messaging and Unlimited Messaging when Roaming
*Unlimited Voice Mail with Free Visual Voice Mail also when Roaming
*Unlimited Free calling 24/7 to any one of 5 numbers in the US and Canada (This can be landline or cellphone and roaming is free and I can change them once per month.)
*450 Anytime Minutes when I rarely use any of since I get unlimited on everything else.
*Tethering is an additional $15 per month but, Tmobile hasn't said anything to those of us that Tether anyway. After all using my phone for data is using my phone for data.

All this on a Rooted MyTouch 3G Slide running 3rd sense with cached Apps2SD card.
The only downside is coverage but, lately even that has been much better since Tmobile is forcing phones in limited range to drop to G (56k) signal. This greatly improves and extends voice reception and has completely ended the dropped calls I used to get. If I need Edge, I can't get 3G at my house, I just switch to Roaming and I'm on. I get 3G just about anywhere else except my house and school but, both of these places have wifi.

So just to recap... No other carrier in the US offers this at this price or at any price.
NO ONE!

My T-Mo bill is about $93 a month after taxes/fees. What I have:

* Unlimited Loyalty Plan -
- Unlimited Whenever Minutes
- Unlimited Weekend Minutes
- Unlimited Weeknight Minutes
* Premium Handset Protection Insurance
* T-Mobile Android Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages

They had better grandfather me in or I will jump ship.

RyanDG

Weenerz said:
Talk about overspending, T-Mobile can't be worth $39 billion. No fucking way.

Last reporting I think T-Mobile had something like 45 billion in total assets, but to be hnoest, a lot of this sale is going to include stock options as well (for part of the total amount paid).

Nelo Ice

Banned
im guessing this is bad news for anyone possibly switching to att right?

i may be switching from metro to att and i'll probably be getting an iphone when the 5 comes out since according to my sister since apparently att has free mobile to mobile or something?

anyway im guessing i should try getting verizon instead? also only reason im even considering att is due to my sister and how we could both get phones under my cousins current att plan or something

Firestorm

mj1108 said:
My T-Mo bill is about $93 a month after taxes/fees. What I have:

* Unlimited Loyalty Plan -
- Unlimited Whenever Minutes
- Unlimited Weekend Minutes
- Unlimited Weeknight Minutes
* Premium Handset Protection Insurance
* T-Mobile Android Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages

They had better grandfather me in or I will jump ship.
how is this considered a good plan?

RyanDG

Nelo Ice said:
im guessing this is bad news for anyone possibly switching to att right?

i may be switching from metro to att and i'll probably be getting an iphone when the 5 comes out since according to my sister since apparently att has free mobile to mobile or something?

anyway im guessing i should try getting verizon instead?

This is anything but bad news for ATT or ATT customers (aside from less competitive choice of course).

Nelo Ice

Banned
RyanDG said:
This is anything but bad news for ATT or ATT customers (aside from less competitive choice of course).

mainly worried about the pricing since i keep reading horror stories about att

KtSlime

Gamer @ Heart said:
Estimated 12 months before the deal is approved and merger can begin? Wow. Tmobile users should jut chill. It might not even happen

It's the US, it will definitely happen.

kehs

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Estimated 12 months before the deal is approved and merger can begin? Wow. Tmobile users should jut chill. It might not even happen

You don't know it, but ATT already bought your house.

giga

Ashhong said:
But the purchase is happening immediately right? I wonder if ATT would start raising the prices for new contract plans on T-mobile sooner than that.
Nope. They just agreed to the purchase terms. T-Mobile USA is still independent from AT&T. The actual closing of the transaction is estimated to be 12 months from now.

Gamer @ Heart said:

The slides make the deal seem like its great for reaching the presidents deal, I can not see why it wouldnt happen, maybe they will have to give up some small region or something to regional carriers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom