• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS ROG ALLY | OT + Review Thread | Steam Deck but ROGher

Mr Hyde

I was using a SteamDeck with Windows to play heavily modded Skyrim and PES 6 mostly.

What can you share? I don't have an XG Mobile but I'm using the JSAUX dock and still figuring stuff out.

What do you want to know? I have the XG Mobile Radeon Rx 6850 mxt.

I have a MSFT controller dongle plugged into my dock, have you found any tips for switching between the Ally controls and a controller on the fly?

Or do you still shut down the game and restart it docked?

Mr Hyde

I have a MSFT controller dongle plugged into my dock, have you found any tips for switching between the Ally controls and a controller on the fly?

Or do you still shut down the game and restart it docked?

It works seamless for me. I use an 8bit do Ultimate controller and I have the usb dongle plugged in to the XG Mobile. When I'm playing docked, it recognizes the controller immediately and when I'm switching to handheld I just enable the Ally's internal controller in the command center. This must also be disabled when you're playing docked otherwise the dock won't recognize the controller.

EDIT: What is a JSAUX dock? Is it an unofficial docking station?

Last edited:
It works seamless for me. I use an 8bit do Ultimate controller and I have the usb dongle plugged in to the XG Mobile. When I'm playing docked, it recognizes the controller immediately and when I'm switching to handheld I just enable the Ally's internal controller in the command center. This must also be disabled when you're playing docked otherwise the dock won't recognize the controller.

EDIT: What is a JSAUX dock? Is it an unofficial docking station?
This one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B28PCDM2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I gotta get that 8bitdo controller, it looks great.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Ok.

So is this worth it or is a $399 Steam Deck the better one to get. Don’t think the pricier Steam Deck models are as its basically just more SSD capacity and from what I have read, the SD card storage is not a lot slower than the built in SSD.

Thank you.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ok.

So is this worth it or is a $399 Steam Deck the better one to get. Don’t think the pricier Steam Deck models are as its basically just more SSD capacity and from what I have read, the SD card storage is not a lot slower than the built in SSD.

Thank you.

This is more expensive, but a faster/better piece of hardware - it depends on your needs somewhat. The Ally does not do everything better, but without a doubt it is faster, has a way better display, and much better sound, and will run Windows so stuff "should" work as expected in Windows. That may be a plus or minus depending on what it is.

You also have the option of running an external GPU and/or dock to make it a desktop replacement / hybrid device, which it will be better suited to doing as it is running Windows. I'm so close to ordering one myself, had one pre-ordered, but it's on the backburner for the moment, especially with all the comments over the recent firmware updates causing performance issues.

CobraAB

Best Buy close to me has it just looking to press the pay button on the site then go and pick up.

My only concern somewhat is support. Valve seems to do a great job with the Steam Deck. Just wondering how Asus will be with support. I know they have made some improvements and fixes since the early units went out to reviewers.

Some of the other PC handhelds are nice but support is the big concern with those IMO.

Superbean

Neo Member
Ok.

Thank you.
Depends on your use case really. If you are only into retro emulation up to PS2 and a little bit of PS3 and only play indie games than the deck is fine. If you play AAA games and new releases, ally all day. I've had deck since launch and I spent about as much time tinkering and getting things to run as I did actually playing things. So far with the ally everything just kind of works no tinkering.
AC works great, steam bpm gives a very deck like ux and ui, so this fictitious argument about a console-like experience only being available on the deck is bs.
I'm keeping my deck for when I need battery life, as of now deck performs better at lower wattage than the ally although not by much.
Ally has MUCH better screen, I prefer the feel of it's buttons as well.

And another thing, the 64gb price isn't what it's going to cost. You have to add storage, either SSD upgrade or micro SD, and shader cache is an issue for 64gb so you will eventually have to upgrade the SSD at a minimum to 512 which usually runs about a hundred bucks so that 400 ends up being closer to 500. For what, 200 more you get a massive performance uplift, even on early drivers it's double on some games, better range of TDP and performance options, much better screen, way better compatability, and the same ux if you want
I don't think I've ever used the track pads on the deck beyond desktop usage.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Depends on your use case really. If you are only into retro emulation up to PS2 and a little bit of PS3 and only play indie games than the deck is fine. If you play AAA games and new releases, ally all day. I've had deck since launch and I spent about as much time tinkering and getting things to run as I did actually playing things. So far with the ally everything just kind of works no tinkering.
AC works great, steam bpm gives a very deck like ux and ui, so this fictitious argument about a console-like experience only being available on the deck is bs.
I'm keeping my deck for when I need battery life, as of now deck performs better at lower wattage than the ally although not by much.
Ally has MUCH better screen, I prefer the feel of it's buttons as well.

And another thing, the 64gb price isn't what it's going to cost. You have to add storage, either SSD upgrade or micro SD, and shader cache is an issue for 64gb so you will eventually have to upgrade the SSD at a minimum to 512 which usually runs about a hundred bucks so that 400 ends up being closer to 500. For what, 200 more you get a massive performance uplift, even on early drivers it's double on some games, better range of TDP and performance options, much better screen, way better compatability, and the same ux if you want
I don't think I've ever used the track pads on the deck beyond desktop usage.
Yeaj, I know you have to add storage. Heck, even with 512 GB, you will likely need to as well.

Sleepwalker

Dropped by my local bestbuy to pick up FFXVI, was considering checking out the ally to see if maybe the impulse got over me to buy one.

Was suprised to see there wasnt a single one out for exhibition, not in the gaming section, not in the asus section and not in the ROG section with all the gaming pcs. I didn't ask an associate cause theres no way I would make one unbox it just to take a peak lol.

Either best buy or asus dropped the ball with the marketing in stores.

Mr Hyde

Wanted to try some emulation and tried installing Demon's Souls PS3. Everything went smooth but the game is not detecting the controller. I've set the controller input to XInput in RPSC3 but it doesn't work. Anyone who knows what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I solved it 👍🙂

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

What a doozy of a day. Downloaded launchbox because I want that as a frontend for all my games (it even has Steam support). First game that I added was of course Demon's Souls on PS3. Everything went smooth until it was time to play it. I couldn't get the controller to work. It didn't detect. I researched like crazy, tried different inputs and yada yada. Nothing. And then it was as simple as changing to game controller in Ally's own command center. Oof 😣

I also cannot get it to run in 60 fps. Tried everything. Every option. Every video. It just doesn't run. Fluctuating frames. Severe frame drops. Audio glitches. Stuttering. Completely unplayable. So I locked ot to 30 and it works wonder. Plays great. No issues at all. I wonder if this game is coded to run at 30?

Well, glad everything worked out in the end. But damn, it took a lot of work. Thankfully, it's going to be easier next time. It's always the first time it's the most difficult.

Sleepwalker

What a doozy of a day. Downloaded launchbox because I want that as a frontend for all my games (it even has Steam support). First game that I added was of course Demon's Souls on PS3. Everything went smooth until it was time to play it. I couldn't get the controller to work. It didn't detect. I researched like crazy, tried different inputs and yada yada. Nothing. And then it was as simple as changing to game controller in Ally's own command center. Oof 😣

I also cannot get it to run in 60 fps. Tried everything. Every option. Every video. It just doesn't run. Fluctuating frames. Severe frame drops. Audio glitches. Stuttering. Completely unplayable. So I locked ot to 30 and it works wonder. Plays great. No issues at all. I wonder if this game is coded to run at 30?

Well, glad everything worked out in the end. But damn, it took a lot of work. Thankfully, it's going to be easier next time. It's always the first time it's the most difficult.
For demons souls on RPCS3 you want to patch it with a fps unlock patch, the game is hard capped to 30fps

Also anyone here had trouble with the SD card? Apparently there's a widespread issue about the ally frying SD cards, I would suggest sticking with the internal ssd while it gets resolved.

A friend of mine sold his Steam Deck for one of these. He was pretty happy with the device until he had to return it due to a faulty SD card reader. He only sold the Deck because some of the games he plays don't support SteamOS and Window support was a little janky when dual-booting.

I did get to play on his briefly. It's pretty decent but the lack of track pads is a bummer for me. Those pads on the deck is a game changer for FPS or RTS games!

Mr Hyde

For demons souls on RPCS3 you want to patch it with a fps unlock patch, the game is hard capped to 30fps

Already tried. Framerate still fluctuating like crazy. 30 fps is the only solid choice unfortunately. But a locked 30 is not that bad, it's way more playable than the PS3 version who ran like sub 20 fps. I also run it at 1080p and there's virtually no loading times.

Also anyone here had trouble with the SD card? Apparently there's a widespread issue about the ally frying SD cards, I would suggest sticking with the internal ssd while it gets resolved.

No issues with SD cards so far. I have a 1tb card in and have downloaded multiple games and it worked just fine. Sucks for those that have got their cards fried. ROG Ally is quite buggy and Asus needs to patch it up ASAP.

Goalus

I bought one and love it.
In particular, I like that it's Windows and I can move the mouse pointer using the right stick.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem:
I want to play Heretic (a Dosbox game), but it expects keyboard input. Can I somehow tell the game to use the Ally control sticks and buttons?

Last edited:

Tams

What?

Handheld PCs have existed for a long time. Ally owners are discovering why no one cared about them until the Steam Deck.

Season 4 Ryan GIF by The Office

Goalus

What?

Handheld PCs have existed for a long time. Ally owners are discovering why no one cared about them until the Steam Deck.
This thread has numerous people informing others that they prefer Steam Deck or are going to wait for its successor, even though no one asked for their opinion.

I took notes, and when Steam Deck 2 is released, I'll probably visit the OT and tell everyone that I am going to wait for the Ally 2 and have no interest in Steam Deck.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem:
I want to play Heretic (a Dosbox game), but it expects keyboard input. Can I somehow tell the game to use the Ally control sticks and buttons?
You could probably use an application like this one:

I don't have an Ally, but I've used this on my Windows Steam Deck to run similarly old programs without keyboard support.

If you launch the game from Steam, you could also set up a controller profile with Steam Input to accomplish the same thing.

Goalus

You could probably use an application like this one:

I don't have an Ally, but I've used this on my Windows Steam Deck to run similarly old programs without keyboard support.

If you launch the game from Steam, you could also set up a controller profile with Steam Input to accomplish the same thing.
Thanks a lot!
That looks like what I need.

Mr Hyde

Playing OG Demon's Souls on the Ally makes the whole purchase justified in my opinion. It feels so good playing with stable framerate and 1080p visuals, making areas like Valley of Defilement actually playable. But to be honest, the remake is soo much better, both graphics and gameplay are vastly improved. I really hope Sony ports it over to PC as soon as possible.

Reallink

After a week and more with it, steam Deck win hands down with the overall experience.

I had my Steamdeck since the first batch launch shipment and have already used the Ally more. I simply have no interest in playing a select subset of my Steam library, and the first update that bricked my Windows dual boot was probably the last time I touched it. The Ally is a vastly superior product if you can operate a gaming PC (its literally a Windows gaming laptop in a different shell), the Deck is a better product if you struggle to operate a Nintendo Switch and want to rebuy games you already own on EGS/Gamepass/Origin/Uplay/Bnet/Etc.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
After a week and more with it, steam Deck win hands down with the overall experience.

Not in the slightest in my opinion at all. I love the Ally, but different strokes for different folks I guess. The steamdeck is awesome if you only have steam and want an experience close to a console with strange added PC bugs and platform bugs. Nit waking from sleep properly, odd strange things like suspend not working properly. Glitches etc but always improving.

Ally is a pc owners handheld. Needs manual tweaking in games but if you are used to that it's an absolute beast. Also has its little teething issues but performance and windows OS makes it the better device for me by a long shot.

Both awesome though and if I had infinite money I would own both.

I had both after owning a deck for 8 months as well as running them both along side for a couple of weeks. The deck has been sold and I don't have a single regret. I'm happy valve got my money and hopefully I've helped contribute to a great platform but the Ally is amazing and the fact Asus got this thing out the door for as cheap as it is blows my mind.

Love the Ally.

StereoVsn

I had my Steamdeck since the first batch launch shipment and have already used the Ally more. I simply have no interest in playing a select subset of my Steam library, and the first update that bricked my Windows dual boot was probably the last time I touched it. The Ally is a vastly superior product if you can operate a gaming PC (its literally a Windows gaming laptop in a different shell), the Deck is a better product if you struggle to operate a Nintendo Switch and want to rebuy games you already own on EGS/Gamepass/Origin/Uplay/Bnet/Etc.
Ally control scheme is basically useless for strategy games though. I have had it for couple weeks now and even with remapping joystick to keyboard functions its not nearly as flexible as SteamDeck with it's controls.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not in the slightest in my opinion at all. I love the Ally, but different strokes for different folks I guess. The steamdeck is awesome if you only have steam and want an experience close to a console with strange added PC bugs and platform bugs. Nit waking from sleep properly, odd strange things like suspend not working properly. Glitches etc but always improving.

Ally is a pc owners handheld. Needs manual tweaking in games but if you are used to that it's an absolute beast. Also has its little teething issues but performance and windows OS makes it the better device for me by a long shot.

Both awesome though and if I had infinite money I would own both.

I had both after owning a deck for 8 months as well as running them both along side for a couple of weeks. The deck has been sold and I don't have a single regret. I'm happy valve got my money and hopefully I've helped contribute to a great platform but the Ally is amazing and the fact Asus got this thing out the door for as cheap as it is blows my mind.

Love the Ally.

Just to follow up on this, people who are framing the deck as some sort of plug and play experience, that's simply not true. I sold mine after being annoyed with all of the games that wouldn't run, no gamepass without too much hassle, epic games, etc. (ok I also sold it as I wasn't using it enough, but you get the idea of the issues I had with it)
I'll dive back in soon, probably for an Ally and while I don't expect plug and play from it either, there is some ease of use features that I will appreciate in terms of running windows games.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I still own both handhelds. The Deck isn't the plug n play experience some are selling here.

Regardless, I didn't buy the Deck or the Ally to spend time browsing libraries and analysing UIs.

I bought them to play games and, in that regard, the Ally plugged in (like 99% of the time I spent on my Deck) at 30W is the better gaming device:

- Much higher performance plus VRR
- Much lower fan noise
- Better speakers
- Better screen
- Support for all games on GamePass, UPlay, EA App, everything

So I'm keeping the Ally and selling the Deck.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I still own both handhelds. The Ally isn't the plug n play experience some are selling here.

Regardless, I didn't buy the Ally or the Deck to spend time browsing libraries and analysing UIs.

I bought them to play games and, in that regard, the Deck plugged in (like 99% of the time I spent on my Ally) but the better community support the deck is the better gaming device:

- Much better support for controllers
- true haptic trackpads for 100% support
- native steam support and no hacky shit
- windows 10 dual boot
- Support for all games on GamePass, UPlay, EA App,

So I'm keeping the Deck and selling the Ally.

You all look at specs but what good is specs if you can't control a game properly. Steam deck has track pads that work as mice, track pads, radials, grid hot keys or buttons. They help for games that use mice like rts, tbs, arpg, etc...

So until one of these companies puts track pads on and easy user database for controls like steam deck has, it's a big no in my mind.

Unless you just want to play console ports, the maybe, but I bought a deck to play my pc games not games and I already own a switch.

I still own both handhelds. The Deck isn't the plug n play experience some are selling here.

Regardless, I didn't buy the Deck or the Ally to spend time browsing libraries and analysing UIs.

I bought them to play games and, in that regard, the Ally plugged in (like 99% of the time I spent on my Deck) at 30W is the better gaming device:

- Much higher performance plus VRR
- Much lower fan noise
- Better speakers
- Better screen
- Support for all games on GamePass, UPlay, EA App, everything

So I'm keeping the Ally and selling the Deck.
If you o ly play console ports. No track pads is a deal breaker for me. Most games I play are older titles that need mapped controls and mouse input. Don't understand why these companies don't add them.

Hayabusa83

Banned
After dealing with some of the glitches and updating my unit I have been having a lot of fun on it. The games look absolutely spectacular on the screen. Currently playing Binary Domain.

Goalus

I still own both handhelds. The Ally isn't the plug n play experience some are selling here.

Regardless, I didn't buy the Ally or the Deck to spend time browsing libraries and analysing UIs.

I bought them to play games and, in that regard, the Deck plugged in (like 99% of the time I spent on my Ally) but the better community support the deck is the better gaming device:

- windows 10 dual boot

You seem to own an Ally.
So here is a question for you: where was the Game Pass Ultimate code located when you opened the box?

diffusionx

Gold Member

- windows 10 dual boot

Deck vs. Ally is the difference between a company that can provide an infrastructure to maximize the utility of the device (like a console) versus a generic PC company throwing a bunch of parts in a box and saying good luck, figure it out. I really think Valve is going to own this space for a long time, you need more than good specs and they're the ones who can do it.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If you o ly play console ports. No track pads is a deal breaker for me. Most games I play are older titles that need mapped controls and mouse input. Don't understand why these companies don't add them.

Not having trackpads was definitely something I took into consideration.

However, during the Ally's preorder window I tried to recall how many times I used the Deck's trackpads, and those were:

1 - For text input (steam login, name / alias input)

2 - To play Civ6 once with my friends, where I was so slow compared to KB+M I'd never get to do everything I needed within a turn's time.

So for my intents and purposes, the trackpads aren't very usable. I guess they're good enough for turn-based strategy games in single player mode (forget trying to play RTSes on those IMO), but I haven't been playing those types of games.

Regardless, fans of the trackpads can look up the AYA Neo Next II releasing later this year:

https://www.techpowerup.com/img/VEDFFf4KskJPpZqI.jpg

Word is it'll bundle a Radeon 7600M dGPU in there, and there's also a Meteor Lake version in the pipeline.

It'll also be more expensive and heavier than their current lineup (800g?), but in the end it's a true handheld all-in-one. Also, >8" is probably the best part of it.

Perhaps I'll trade my Ally for this in the upcoming Christmas.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I said it in an earlier thread, Steam Deck is the most console-like PC device ever made, and that is why it is so popular. It is designed by a single company with defined specs, it has an OS and drivers maintained by that company, they evangelize the platform and sell the hardware, and most importantly, devs are now releasing games with Deck profiles and making sure they run well.

Stuff like ROG Ally is just like "here's your device bro" and you have some janky overlay launcher shit on it. Deck is the way to do it.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I said it in an earlier thread, Steam Deck is the most console-like PC device ever made, and that is why it is so popular. It is designed by a single company with defined specs, it has an OS and drivers maintained by that company, they evangelize the platform and sell the hardware, and most importantly, devs are now releasing games with Deck profiles and making sure they run well.

Stuff like ROG Ally is just like "here's your device bro" and you have some janky overlay launcher shit on it. Deck is the way to do it.
It's more popular because it's cheaper. Simple as that. None of the other aspects matters for this.

And no console is a device with maximised utility. You can't do almost nothing with a console other than play some games.

And you can only maximise these devices with Windows + Linux.

Last edited:

Goalus

I ordered one and I got the code in an email. I haven't received my Ally yet.
Suuuure.

The user I was asking seems to have vanished from this thread, so we can safely assume that he is unable to answer my question because he doesn't actually have an Ally.

What would it cost to build a pc that would run similarly to the Ally? On the fence about buying one of the handhelds or a pc and I really have no idea what way to go.

Suuuure.

The user I was asking seems to have vanished from this thread, so we can safely assume that he is unable to answer my question because he doesn't actually have an Ally.
Is that a "suuure" like you didn't believe me? I only ordered it a few days ago it should be here tomorrow according to the tracking info.

Or were you asking because you didn't believe the person you responed to got one?

Sorry I don't really reply often so I just thought I could help answer your question.

It's more popular because it's cheaper. Simple as that. None of the other aspects matters for this.
This pretty much. The cheapest Deck is competing with consoles at its price point. The Ally is is competing with gaming laptops.

What would it cost to build a pc that would run similarly to the Ally? On the fence about buying one of the handhelds or a pc and I really have no idea what way to go.
Well, $800 can get you a gaming laptop with an entry level mobile GPU (a 3060 most likely). This is the primary reason I'm not as keen on jumping on the Ally bandwagon even if I'm somewhat tempted. Here's an $800 gaming laptop from ASUS themselves. Just proving a point about the price, no idea about the quality and I'm sure it's possible to get a better deal elsewhere.

I might still bite once they release a black version and they iron out the bugs which is why I'm really interested in the SD card issue. It's one thing if the reader is faulty, that's just an RMA. It's annoying but doesn't really cost you much except for time. Problem for me is some users have reported that the SD card itself can be rendered useless and the faster 1 GB cards are around $120. Not exactly cheap.

If it's goes on sale close to $550 then SD card and color be damned. I'll grab one without second thoughts.

Goalus

Is that a "suuure" like you didn't believe me? I only ordered it a few days ago it should be here tomorrow according to the tracking info.

Or were you asking because you didn't believe the person you responed to got one?
The latter.

Sending a code via email seems strange because you could simply return the product without opening it and still use the code.

Top Bottom