• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus: Next Rog Ally Reveal 5/9 3PM ET

KXVXII9X

He said come back June 2 for the real information.
so what wow GIF by Insecure on HBO

//DEVIL//

Videocardz is reporting it’s gonna be higher than 700$ US ?

Ahahahahahahahahaha… DOA

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think that will ultimately end up being the next switch.

MLiD so take it with a mountain of salt but who knows.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wow, pretty huge letdown to put it off for almost a month. Almost like this is the same company that announced a handheld on April fools day.......

Edgelord79

Gold Member

MLiD so take it with a mountain of salt but who knows.
I hear this take about every single person that leaks something. Not saying that the leak is right, but nobody likes anybody for these things.

Tams

Where was the announcement for the announcement of the announcement?

I'm feeling very let down here ASUS.

Cyberpunkd

I mean - any competition is good. I absolutely adore my Steam Deck, makes it so much easier to play games. People need to understand this will not play latest games on high settings, not if you want to avoid fans going crazy and huge battery hit.

I play mostly 3-4 years old games at 45FPS, the system is whisper quiet, battery lasts 4 hours. Also, portable Skyrim.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
As soon as the guy in the stream said June 2 I turned off. What the fuck Asus? I waited for this fucking stream a whole afternoon hoping for some nice juicy information and then you do this? Is there one thing I hate it's assholes wasting my time.

Topher

Gold Member
As soon as the guy in the stream said June 2 I turned off. What the fuck Asus? I waited for this fucking stream a whole afternoon hoping for some nice juicy information and then you do this? Is there one thing I hate it's assholes wasting my time.

This was damn near Asus' "don't you guys have phones moment". Really pathetic.

edit: ok.....maybe not that bad, but I'm still pissed about it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
This was damn near Asus' "don't you guys have phones moment". Really pathetic.

edit: ok.....maybe not that bad, but I'm still pissed about it.

There must be something in the water this week because every company and exec is acting like complete idiots. It's like they are tripping over themselves to fuck around with their customer base. So sick of it all.

StereoVsn

Those changes actually sound pretty good. Too bad about the screen though.

“Asus says the Ally X should now have more than its current 16GB of RAM so that you can allocate lots of it to the GPU without impacting the rest of the system. It should have a longer M.2 2280 SSD slot, so buyers can more easily find and purchase larger SSD upgrades than the current M.2 2230 allows.
The Ally X should also be even more repairable, with redesigned joystick modules that are more interchangeable — and upgradable”

Other than the screen, the rest of the changes are what’s needed. And screen isn’t too bad on the Asus. I mean, I would love a slightly larger OLED instead, no question, but other changes are interesting.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

First they delay this shit at the last minute for an hour then they pull the rug out from under themselves and say "fuck off until June"

Did every corporation turn incredibly stupid this week? What is going on?
They hired Helldivers 2 Community Manager! 😉

Hohenheim

Well, i'm definitly upgrading from the OG ally to this. 40% more battery is awesome. And improved joysticks it seems. The screen is fine as it is.

Topher

Gold Member
The Phawx says this isn't replacing the Rog Ally. The X is a higher tier than the base Ally.

So unless Asus is going to drop the price of the Ally to $600, I'm guessing the X will probably come in at $800 or more.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The Phawx says this isn't replacing the Rog Ally. The X is a higher tier than the base Ally.

So unless Asus is going to drop the price of the Ally to $600, I'm guessing the X will probably come in at $800 or more.

Hmm… let’s see what happens then next time BestBuy runs a sale and they have some returned boxes as well. Could be palatable at that discount.

That said $800 is kind of a price where I am not sure there will be any uptake.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

The Office Lol GIF

They delivered even more lol's than anticipated, bravo.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I mean this is actually kind of mind blowing. Imagine if Nintendo pulled this on the switch 2 announcement?

StereoVsn

I mean this is actually kind of mind blowing. Imagine if Nintendo pulled this on the switch 2 announcement?
I mean Switch OLED was kind of that. Chip shortage probably screwed up the rumored Pro so Nintendo said f it and released OLED (which I bought, lol).

Klosshufvud

They refuse to admit MicroSD issue but still went through the trouble of rearranging the motherboard lol. Seems like the battery upgrade will be substantial. It was my main complaint when they revealed the device and I am surprised how little insight Asus had opting for such a small battery. Shame the display didn't get transformed into 16:10 ratio. Would help reduce the bezel dead space.

The Z1E is still an extremely well performant chip so it didn't surprise me they're sticking to it. Like Valve, don't expect a substantial performance upgrade until atleast 2026.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
probably whatever ryzen AI crap amd has, i doubt it will have strix point halo...unless Asus does the Asus thing, announce today, launching 9 months later.

It would have to be one of the lower specced variants, doubtful they can fit 16 zen cores + 40 radeon CUs in a portable form factor.

Dr.D00p

It would have to be one of the lower specced variants, doubtful they can fit 16 zen cores + 40 radeon CUs in a portable form factor.

That's not the Strix APU that will go in next gen handhelds.

There is a low power variant with 16 CU's and 4 Zen 5 cores & 4 Zen5c cores (16 threads) which will, in 2025.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wait, so it is just exactly the same...JUST a bigger battery, or is there more memory etc?

More RAM, yes, though they haven't said how much officially. Prob 32 GB I'd guess? Dunno.

They made room for 2280 SSDs, which is cool I suppose, but that coupled with a way bigger battery, says to me this thing will weigh considerably more.

How they can call the X an "enthusiast" version of the Ally but still have the same 7" non-OLED screen is beyond me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
More RAM, yes, though they haven't said how much officially. Prob 32 GB I'd guess? Dunno.

They made room for 2280 SSDs, which is cool I suppose, but that coupled with a way bigger battery, says to me this thing will weigh considerably more.

How they can call the X an "enthusiast" version of the Ally but still have the same 7" non-OLED screen is beyond me.

ah ok....I might pick one up. Will wait to see.....Can't believe its not oled though :(

32GB would be cool, but I could see it being 24gb too

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
From all the info released it doesn't sound like a worthwhile purchase this close to the OG Ally. Gonna wait for the sequel or maybe eying something else, like the GPD Win 4 or AOKZOE A1 Pro. Preferably something with USB4 or Oculink support.

Hohenheim

ah ok....I might pick one up. Will wait to see.....Can't believe its not oled though :(

32GB would be cool, but I could see it being 24gb too
I'm not too bothered with lack of OLED. But had hoped that they removed the bezels.
The huge battery boost and improved RAM (and better joysticks) is enough for a upgrade to me. I hope the joysticks can be easily replaced, like on the Xbox Elite controllers etc.

Klosshufvud

From all the info released it doesn't sound like a worthwhile purchase this close to the OG Ally. Gonna wait for the sequel or maybe eying something else, like the GPD Win 4 or AOKZOE A1 Pro. Preferably something with USB4 or Oculink support.
Yeah it definitely feels more geared towards those making their first PC handheld purchase. Right now SDOLED has a decisive battery life lead so I'm thinking Asus wants to adress that shortcoming so Rog Ally remains that "most powerful, and long-lasting handheld". It's going to be hard recommending an SDOLED over an ROG Ally with these new changes coming and its other inherent advantages with a superior processing chip and VRR (and OS too if you ask me but this is touchy subject lol).

Top Bottom