• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s creed origins 60 fps update is imminent. (New hint from their twitter)

Kokoloko85

Sure they might not be liked for their gameplay but their recreation of worlds of the past is unique.
I cant think of another game where you can walk around an authentic ancient Egypt.

I love the historical setting of the assassins creed games, even the first game. Its the best thing about them. But that doesnt change my mind about the games or the new games in particular

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Why would I be full of shit? Its nowhere near as polished or fun as Gears
I remember it well on the 360 when it first came out, it was clunky as hell, and brown. There was nothing fluid there at all. 2 and 3 were not far off, compare that with an open world Egypt, day/night cycle, free roam gameplay at 60 frames?

It's night and day.

Making Watchdogs cross-gen was a catastrophic error in judgment on Ubisoft's part that trainwrecked the game and forever tarnished an actually quite amazing and innovative new IP, from which is never fully recovered.

And ultimately it was for nothing as a mere fraction of the sales were on PS360-era consoles.

Man, Ubisoft. How do you have so many amazing IP's and end up trainwrecking every single one of them.. How is that even possible? Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, The Division, legacy titles like Prince of Persia, Settlers, the list is endless.
Ubisoft don't own Prince of Persia. They created Assassin's creed instead so they could fully own it.

Kokoloko85

I remember it well on the 360 when it first came out, it was clunky as hell, and brown. There was nothing fluid there at all. 2 and 3 were not far off, compare that with an open world Egypt, day/night cycle, free roam gameplay at 60 frames?

It's night and day.

Well theres been more since then. Nothing about origins or the latest assassins creed games are fun to me. The combat is even worse and its too dragged out. 60fps or not

Gandih42

Not really at the top of my list of games to play, but I enjoyed Odyssey (at the roughly 30 or whatever it ran at on the base PS4).

For those who played both, is it dissimilar enough that playing it after odyssey is worth it? The 60 FPS is obviously a nice bonus, and the setting is inargueably awesome.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Well theres been more since then. Nothing about origins or the latest assassins creed games are fun to me. The combat is even worse and its too dragged out. 60fps or not
Which is odd as I found the earlier AC games really stiff, the movement always felt clunky. I retried AC IV the other day, I love the premiss but just feels clunky overall.

I will say i've never played Gears 4 or 5. Do they play the same way as the originals or is the movement more fluid? I'd give them a go if so..

Kokoloko85

Which is odd as I found the earlier AC games really stiff, the movement always felt clunky. I retried AC IV the other day, I love the premiss but just feels clunky overall.

I will say i've never played Gears 4 or 5. Do they play the same way as the originals or is the movement more fluid? I'd give them a go if so..

Yeah AC classicst were hella clunky, but the combat was simple and I could just about cope with the combat so I can enjoy the settings and story in the originals. The new ones are too RPG like for me, with huge health metres and just too much for me. The originals you could go through a group of enemies in seconds.

Ummm there pretty similar with a bit more fluidity and variety in gameplay. But if you didnt like the originals then you probably wont like the new ones. I really like them for a quick coop action game

But i need my achievements/trophies tho 😥
I understand. I still have around a 100 platinums on ps. But back then there weren't as many open world games.

Nowadays on pc. I check out a game, and if it gets too much busy work i drop it. So many skilltrees and sidequests. 100s of hours needed to finish them.
I do miss that drive that trophies gave to finish a game to the end.

assurdum

Banned
Like I say to alot of PC gamers. A turd is still a turd whether its 4k 60fps or 1080p 30fps…..
Of course it makes a little difference but Asscreed will never be RDR, Gears or Ghost of Tsushima
Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

Gandih42

I understand. I still have around a 100 platinums on ps. But back then there weren't as many open world games.

Nowadays on pc. I check out a game, and if it gets too much busy work i drop it. So many skilltrees and sidequests. 100s of hours needed to finish them.
I do miss that drive that trophies gave to finish a game to the end.

I only have a fraction of that, but I feel ya. If it's a game I really like, I love using the trophies as a way to go in deep on the game after beating it. Provided the requirements for the platinum aren't insane. It's a small reason why I like to stick with the PlayStation ecosystem.

I do sometimes have the problem that DLC trophies puts me at under 100% which really bugs me. And the DLC trophies are often the most time consuming. I still haven't figured out if I want to go back and 100% the Mortal Shell DLC. It was a really fun challenge to get the platinum (involved beating the final boss without taking a single hit), but I'm not sure I can beat the game 7 times in a roguelike-mode just to get the number to say 100% :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Topher

Gold Member
Like I say to alot of PC gamers. A turd is still a turd whether its 4k 60fps or 1080p 30fps…..
Of course it makes a little difference but Asscreed will never be RDR, Gears or Ghost of Tsushima

It is too bad you think AC is a "turd". I certainly don't. They typically have a ton of content and damn good game play. They are far from perfect, but in most cases I've found AC games to very good.

If you want to diss Assassin's Creed, trying to push Tsushima as an example is about the last game in existence you want to use, lol. An ACreed copycat turd with gamedesign from 12 years ago, from the AC2 days. Tsushima is the one that want to be AC, seeing how, like every sony open world, apes Ubisoft to the letter

Ghost borrows a number of AC elements just like a lot of open world games do, but game design from the AC2 days? How?

Last edited:
Assasins creeds are fun games all 3 of them, are they the best ?fuck no are they genre defining ? Also no but they are solid 8 8.5 games just because of the content and the settings they offer.
For me personally
Odyssey >origins>valhalla
The gameplay of valhalla really turned me off

I only have a fraction of that, but I feel ya. If it's a game I really like, I love using the trophies as a way to go in deep on the game after beating it. Provided the requirements for the platinum aren't insane. It's a small reason why I like to stick with the PlayStation ecosystem.

I do sometimes have the problem that DLC trophies puts me at under 100% which really bugs me. And the DLC trophies are often the most time consuming. I still haven't figured out if I want to go back and 100% the Mortal Shell DLC. It was a really fun challenge to get the platinum (involved beating the final boss without taking a single hit), but I'm not sure I can beat the game 7 times in a roguelike-mode just to get the number to say 100% :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Ive seen some people (trophy hunters) make the mistake and play a live service game (warframe). Which keeps getting updated with content and trophies added.
Now they're forced to play that game til all eternity unless they let go of their obsession with the 100%.
I hope you never make that same mistake.

Sure they might not be liked for their gameplay but their recreation of worlds of the past is unique.
I cant think of another game where you can walk around an authentic ancient Egypt.
When you first raid a tomb in the Pyramids after crossing an hour of desert. Or sailing from Kephallonia to Athens which feels like a fucking journey.
I'm sorry not even Horizon can recapture that feeling and its solely due to how small its open world is.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yeah AC classicst were hella clunky, but the combat was simple and I could just about cope with the combat so I can enjoy the settings and story in the originals. The new ones are too RPG like for me, with huge health metres and just too much for me. The originals you could go through a group of enemies in seconds.

Ummm there pretty similar with a bit more fluidity and variety in gameplay. But if you didnt like the originals then you probably wont like the new ones. I really like them for a quick coop action game
I'll install 5, see whats going on then

If it plays exactly like 1, then damn you sir, damn you to hell!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
All these 5+ year old games getting updates making everyone excited. Can we ever just make new games
Paging Phil Spencer! Paging Phil Spencer!

You need more new games! This genius has discovered what is causing all those delays: PATCHES!

Stop patching your current games! That's what is causing all those delays!

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Paging Phil Spencer! Paging Phil Spencer!

You need more new games! This genius has discovered what is causing all those delays: PATCHES!

Stop patching your current games! That's what is causing all those delays!
Valhalla would be the current game you are thinking of..not the game 5 years before it

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Valhalla would be the current game you are thinking of..not the game 5 years before it
Nevertheless, you made an incredibly dumb post and got called out for it. Games absolutely should be supported with patches and it's disappointing that we have people that think like you, where only the now matters. The amount of resources needed to make this happen is less than a water drop in a bucket. There is literally not one game that is being affected because of this.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Nevertheless, you made an incredibly dumb post and got called out for it. Games absolutely should be supported with patches and it's disappointing that we have people that think like you, where only the now matters. The amount of resources needed to make this happen is less than a water drop in a bucket. There is literally not one game that is being affected because of this.
I didnt say dont patch a broken game, but everyone shitting their pants because modernwarfare 2 is coming to steam and then this old ass game getting a FPS update is ridiculous. "got called out for it" lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The world is on fire for AC Origins 60 fps update...
It's easily the best of the last 3 AC games. Egypt is the best built world. It literally feels like you are taking a tour of Roman-conquest era Egypt. It's an incredible game with great atmosphere. Not gonna call it perfect, but you should download it at the very least for "discover tour" mode.

Topher

Gold Member
I didnt say dont patch a broken game, but everyone shitting their pants because modernwarfare 2 is coming to steam and then this old ass game getting a FPS update is ridiculous. "got called out for it" lol

For a lot of us it is a great game worth replaying for various reasons and seeing it get a frame rate boost is welcome news. I don't get why this bothers you. You are not NOT getting a new game because of this patch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yep, everyone is excited because games are being supported! Terrible people! How dare they?!

In regards to new games, we all know a State of Play (I expect it to underwhelm) and the MS event, we all knows those are coming. In the case of MS, you can expect whatever games they show to get delayed 3 times.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For a lot of us it is a great game worth replaying for various reasons and seeing it get a frame rate boost is welcome news. I don't get why this bothers you. You are not NOT getting a new game because of this patch.
I am hoping that it will end up being more than a 60 fps patch and that it will be a new native version where I can earn trophies over again. The PS5 version will certainly run better with 60 fps, but other visuals should also get an upgrade as well. I played it on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, the PS version of Origins was noticeably inferior in terms of visuals. It was the biggest difference I had seen for a Pro vs. 1X game. Odyssey on the otherhand, both versions were closer and great after the 60 fps patch with the xbox version still being superior. Sadly, I doubt I would be able to stack achievements since MS doesn't seem to allow this. Except in very rare cases like WItcher 3 Game of the Year. Speaking of that, I VERY much hope the next gen versions allow for achievement/trophy stacking!

I hate being a trophy/achievement whore. :p

Last edited:

Gandih42

Ive seen some people (trophy hunters) make the mistake and play a live service game (warframe). Which keeps getting updated with content and trophies added.
Now they're forced to play that game til all eternity unless they let go of their obsession with the 100%.
I hope you never make that same mistake.

Hahaha, oh god that is horrible. If I ever become that insane I will have to take a good long look in the mirror.

Topher

Gold Member
I am hoping that it will end up being more than a 60 fps patch and that it will be a new native version where I can earn trophies over again. The PS5 version will certainly run better with 60 fps, but other visuals should also get an upgrade as well. I played it on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, the PS version of Origins was noticeably inferior in terms of visuals. It was the biggest difference I had seen for a Pro vs. 1X game. Odyssey on the otherhand, both versions were closer and great after the 60 fps patch with the xbox version still being superior. Sadly, I doubt I would be able to stack achievements since MS doesn't seem to allow this. Except in very rare cases like WItcher 3 Game of the Year. Speaking of that, I VERY much hope the next gen versions allow for achievement/trophy stacking!

Yeah, I've wanting to platinum this game for a while, but I just couldn't get past the horrible frame rate. Same with Odyssey and I jumped on that game the moment it go the patch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

99 to 1 it's gonna be a FPS boost patch only, sorry.

They did the same with Odyssey last year, not expecting them to put in extra bespoke effort on this.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
99 to 1 it's gonna be a FPS boost patch only, sorry.

They did the same with Odyssey last year, not expecting them to put in extra bespoke effort on this.
Considering how LONG we've known this was coming, my hopes are a little higher it's more than just a 60fps patch. unlocking the framerate shouldn't be too much. Unless AC Origins is one of those rare games where unlocking the framerate can lead to other glitches. Considering that it can run unlocked on PC, I highly doubt that to be the case.

Odyssey is CPU limited so this won't change anything. RTX/DXR also increases CPU demands...
Yeah, i know the current trilogy of AC games is a bit fucked on the cpu, sad. I could play unity and syndicate at 120fps despite being the same engine.
And yeah, i know the current trilogy has a lot of underlying calculations happening

Hayabusa83

Banned
Was never a fan of Assassin's Creed until I tried Origins. Playing it on Xbox One X on my new QLED in 2017 just blew my mind. That game is downright beautiful. Also, I thought Bayek was such a fantastic main character. I can't wait to fire this up again on my Series X.

Top Bottom