• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Cinema 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not. The acting by the main bad guys and everyone but the lead and girl is horrible. While TGTBTW has some of the best acting in a Korean action movie.

Blader5489 said:
Thinking of picking up The Man From Nowhere. How does it compare to stuff like The Good, The Bad, The Weird (my favorite Korean action flick yet) or A Bittersweet Life?
Just watch it for this man.
oAgSn.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
Hello, long time no see. I'm currently working on a new layout for the OP so that's one reason for lack of updates other is that there hasn't really been any big news in the field of asian cinema :(

But at least we got new trailer for Wu xia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JHGPiYoEac&feature=player_embedded
Not really sure what to think, not exactly what I was waiting for but I'll take it. I just hope there isn't anymore of that CSI shit.

Also Bara to Samurai trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wP9Wdr5RUc&feature=player_embedded
:x

Boogie9IGN

I saw The Man From Nowhere a while ago, must say I very much enjoyed it. Think Taken in Korean with a more gruesome crime ring and much more awesome executions.

Saw 13 Assassins this week and really enjoyed the last half of the movie (essentially the long ass battle). Also saw I Saw The Devil last night and goddamn was that bad guy creepy.
The part where he stabs the crap out of the two guys in the car was crazy fast

panda21

is I saw the devil any good?

watched a Korean romantic comedy called Petty Romance last week and it was pretty great if you like silly k-drama type things but with lots of comedy. not sure if its getting a proper release in the west or not.

is Park Chan Wook's new film out soon? that was the iphone one right?

Kikujiro

I saw the devil is good, you should watch it even if only for the directing.
I'm not a big fan of Kim Ji-woon, he's a great director, but he's no Park Chan-wook or Bong Joon-ho.

Peru

I think there are several Korean directors greater than Park Chan-wook. Kim Ji-woon isn't one of them, but I really like Tale of Two Sisters and he's an all round solid dude.

Speaking of action, though, I'm curious about The Yellow Sea. The Chaser was so brilliantly told.

Outside of JSA and The Vengeance trilogy Park hasn't made a good film. Thirst was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I'm a cyborg and his part of three extreme were mediocre. Night Fishing looks horrible and like your typical Asian horror flick.

Peru

I don't know if Night Fishing will be any good, but looks like your typical Asian horror movie? Really?

i went to see gantz 2 today - i've only read the first five books or so, which roughly covered the distance of the first movie, but this one goes in a totally different direction i think. anyway, it's pretty good! the action scenes are way better than in the first one, generally, and there's a little less exposition overall. the set-piece on the train that someone posted a picture from is absolutely amazing.

i, uh, don't think the plot makes any sense at all, but that's only a minor flaw in something like this.

Xater

panda21 said:
is I saw the devil any good?

I really liked it. I can only recommend it.

I also saw Norwegian Wood now. I don't know if I would recommend it to someone who has not read it. I think some of the motivations of characters might seem very unclear und at times it does feel rushed. Overall I liked it but the book is by ar superior.

Norwegian Wood is getting it's US premiere at the Seattle International Film Festival on June 11th (6pm) and 12th (3:30pm). I'm going to the screening on the 12th.

distantmantra said:
Norwegian Wood is getting it's US premiere at the Seattle International Film Festival on June 11th (6pm) and 12th (3:30pm). I'm going to the screening on the 12th.

Norwegian Wood is not worth seeing, anyone should look back at page 2 as I left on my impressions on the film. Even reviewers here commented on some of the unnecessary sexual scenes and that is rare. It just didn't develop the characters well or explain their motivation. The movie was beautiful but that doesn't make a movie good by itself.

- J - D -

I was very disappointed with 13 Assassins. No surprises in that film whatsoever and the big ending battle dragged on for too long. I wasn't expecting standard action-genre fare from Takashi Miike. Maybe that was my fault.

distantmantra said:
You mentioned in your review that you had not read the book, I'm curious what I'll take away from the film seeing as I have read it.

Yeah I am sure the experience will be different due to that, as I felt more confused towards the ending. I just wish the director could have added some scenes, or explained things better.

EYEL1NER

Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen just came out yesterday.
After seeing Ip Man 1 and 2, I need more Donnie Yen. Amazon has the Blu/DVD combo edition sitting at 106 minutes long while the Collector's Edition (with the supremely more badass cover) is listed at being 204 minutes.

Regular Edition
Collectors Edition
Does anyone know the difference? Surely there isn't almost 100 more minutes of footage in the Collector's Edition, is there? Are there two versions?
Amazon shows that both versions have special features. Maybe the special features got added into the run time on the second one, but I've never seen Amazon do that before.

Also, any opinions on the movie itself?

Shapingo

I went to my H-Mart and bought a copy of Jeon Woochi the Taoist Wizard. The movie is amazing, thank you thread for bringing it to my attention. Can anyone suggest any other movies like it?

I also saw High Kick Girl: The star Rina Takeda is terrible actress but is a great martial artist. There were also too many slow motion replays which kind of killed the momentum/flow of the action scenes. I have to see the sequel Karate Girl now.

Gantz: that onion headed kid freaked me out.

Munin

EYEL1NER said:
Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen just came out yesterday.
After seeing Ip Man 1 and 2, I need more Donnie Yen. Amazon has the Blu/DVD combo edition sitting at 106 minutes long while the Collector's Edition (with the supremely more badass cover) is listed at being 204 minutes.

Regular Edition
Collectors Edition
Does anyone know the difference? Surely there isn't almost 100 more minutes of footage in the Collector's Edition, is there? Are there two versions?
Amazon shows that both versions have special features. Maybe the special features got added into the run time on the second one, but I've never seen Amazon do that before.

Also, any opinions on the movie itself?

Terrible, messily directed movie that represents the height of the thinly veiled propaganda wave in Chinese martial arts cinema so far. Avoid at all costs. Wait for DVD release of The Lost Bladesman instead, which isn't really a very good movie either but at least better than this piece of crap.

How far Andrew Lau has fallen...his newest film, "A Beautiful Life" is a pile of shit too.

Hobs

Neo Member
Just saw Wu Xia, definitely a lot better than The Lost Bladesman which was really disappointing.

Don't know whats up with Takeshi Kaneshiro's accent in the movie though, I don't remember him speaking like that in his other ones.

faridmon

Asian Movies I have seen at Cinema (london) this year are: - Confession, Cold Fish and I Saw the Devil. Really horrible watch (Morally) but Fantastic movies. I would love to see a List of movies that is coming out here in UK.
RyanReedyMusic said:
Hell yeah man. That bitch is crazy. lol
The whole lot were Crazy. The girld that poisend her parents, the boy and of course the woman.

Radec

Midnight_FM__FM_Korean_Movie_2010_5067_event.jpg

Midnight FM.
10/10.

F'cking awesome film right here.

To those who have seen it, are there any korean movie like this ?

Has anyone seen Kore-eda's "I Wish" yet? I happened to be looking at his imdb page and noticed it released recently. I really love Kore-eda.

meppi

faridmon said:
Asian Movies I have seen at Cinema (london) this year are: - Confession, Cold Fish and I Saw the Devil. Really horrible watch (Morally) but Fantastic movies. I would love to see a List of movies that is coming out here in UK.
Well Poetry is coming to theaters July 29th.

Can't wait for the bluray release.

These are my top faves

The Man from Nowhere
Goemon
The Lost Bladesman
Say Hello For Me
Be With You
Heavenly Forest
Ip Man
The Samurai I Loved
The Rebel
Bay Rong
The Promise
The Sword in The Moon
Shadowless Sword
The Legend of Evil Lake
Revenge A Love Story
Loft
The Infernal Affairs Trilogy
Born to Fight
Aragami
13 Assassins
14 Blades
Azumi 1 and 2
Black Belt
Blades of Blood
Casshern
The Restless
Deserted House
The Chaser
I Saw the Devil
Ip Man The Legend Is Born
Yamada: The Samurai of Ayothaya
Bangkok Adrenaline
Bangkok Knockout
Merantau
Seven Swords
The Princess Blade
The Outlaw
The Underdog Knight
True Legend
Black Sheep Affair
The Crying Freeman

Radec

RyanReedyMusic said:
Has anyone in here seen The Man from Nowhere? Such a great movie. Better than Taken to me.

yep, got to watch that movie by recommendation from here.

badass lead is badass.

Peru said:
I think there are several Korean directors greater than Park Chan-wook. Kim Ji-woon isn't one of them, but I really like Tale of Two Sisters and he's an all round solid dude.

Speaking of action, though, I'm curious about The Yellow Sea. The Chaser was so brilliantly told.

The Yellow Sea has some brutal stuff in there.

Qwomo

RyanReedyMusic said:
Has anyone in here seen The Man from Nowhere? Such a great movie. Better than Taken to me.
Watched it recently. It's the stupidest movie I've seen in a long, long time.

I saw it won a million awards in Korea and laughed and shook my head.

Grimmy

Banned
Easystride said:
Has anyone seen Kore-eda's "I Wish" yet? I happened to be looking at his imdb page and noticed it released recently. I really love Kore-eda.

It will most probably have its international premiere in Toronto Film Festival. So wait for it then.
In other news, THE GRANDMASTERS will have its premiere this fall. It is slated to be released in China/HK this December.

Llyranor

A local festival will be showing these movies on the big screen. GAF's opinion?

- 13 Assassins Director's Cut (I guess this is the uncut version?)
- The Last Ronin
- Bangkok Knockout (haven't seen Ong Bak)
- Ip Man - Legend is Born (looks like a prequel of sorts - no Donnie Yen??? :( )
- True Legend (seems way CG-heavy, not sure this appeals to me)

jett

D-Member
Llyranor said:
A local festival will be showing these movies on the big screen. GAF's opinion?

- 13 Assassins Director's Cut (I guess this is the uncut version?)
- The Last Ronin
- Bangkok Knockout (haven't seen Ong Bak)
- Ip Man - Legend is Born (looks like a prequel of sorts - no Donnie Yen??? :( )
- True Legend (seems way CG-heavy, not sure this appeals to me)

13 Assassins is fucking badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom