• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Cinema 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
OsN8R.jpg

- It's a great great world - dir. Kelvin Tong - Trailer -​
It's a Great Great World is set in Singapore’s legendary amusement park Great World, which was also affectionately known in Hokkien as Tua Seh Kai. Spanning the 1940s to the present day, the film tells the stories of a multitude of characters who lived, worked, played, sang, danced and fell in love in Great World.

glBrM.png

- Hankyu Densha - dir. Yoshishige Miyake - Trailer - Trailer II -​
Hankyu Densha tells the story of various people with their own troubles, whose encounters with other people while riding the train lead them to take life-changing steps. The central setting of the film is the local Imazu Line of the Hankyu Railway, which runs in the Hyogo prefecture connecting the cities of Nishinomiya and Takarazuka.

CiSTM

Banned
9CJW3.jpg

Jin-roh director, Hiroyuki Okiura, is coming back with A Letter to Momo, an animated film produced by Production I.G, set to release in 2012, in Japan. What’s the story? A young city girl moving with her mother on a small rural island, after the passing of her father. Who left her an unfinished letter.

Jackie Chan’s historical epic 1911 gets simultaneous release in China & NA. Movie will come out in theaters in October.

Martin Scorsese’s next pic is the remake of Masahiro Shinoda’s 1971 film Silence.

Koji Wakamatsu's CATERPILLAR and UNITED RED ARMY will be released in the US by Kino Lorber!

Flek

Banned
omg they made juni itos Tomie into a movie? Thats fucking awesome! Gonna watch this :O

besides that iam also looking forward to the following movies from your list @ op:

norwegian wood
- book was awesome!

Cold Fish
- i already know that this is going to be a sick movie, all of sion sonos movies are. Also reminds me that i neen to order the love exposure dvd…

Xater

I already saw High Kick Girl. It's not really good but you can have fun with drinking a few beers. I was mostly annoyed by the repeated slow mos of cool moves. That got really old after some time.

Really looking forward to Norwegian Wood and a friend of mine just saw Houshold X (Kazoku X) at the Berlinale and said that it was good. Hope this find some distribution so I can see it asap.

I hope this Tomie is the first good one. Not that the manga isn't super schlocky, but the previous adaptations were never quite scary or never quite as self-aware and gleeful like Uzumaki was.

Has Norwegian Wood been announced for a limited US theatrical release? I know it is in the UK. The book is amazing and the fact that Johnny Greenwood scored it makes it all the more surreal and wonderful.

Jake.

cross-post from what you have seen recently (posted about a week ago):

just saw sion sono's newest translated-to-english joint as part of the adelaide international film festival. last half was awesome.

w7Pec.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
I'll try to muster some time for bigger update for later this week but for now quick update only.

- Cold Fish poster (gonna see it next week ;))
xpRYK.jpg

- Chan looking bad ass (and old) in 1911. Still set for oct. release. He is also directing armour of god 3
mOjhm.jpg

- 13th assassin uk release is called " international version" and it's missing 17 minutes. JP dvd/bd release should be region free and uncutted. no info if and when uk (and probably rest of europe) will get the uncutted version.

- Saya Samurai (listed in op) will be out in june.
2v0dZ.jpg

- New teaser/trailer from Takashi Miike's new film
http://www.nipponcinema.com/trailers/nintama-rantaro-teaser2

- First pics from Korean war epic called "My way"
LVqBp.jpg

phfG1.jpg

- JP film "postcard" set to release in September.
ZaCJL.jpg

Towards the end of the war, one hundred middle-aged soldiers were sent to the frontline according to lots drawn by their superior officer. On the night of the lottery, a soldier, expecting to be killed in action, leaves a postcard from his wife with Keita Matsuyama. The card reads, "It is the festival today, but the air feels empty without your presence." The soldier asks Keita to let his wife know that he had read the postcard. The war ends, and six survivors out of 100 return home, but no one awaits Keita at home. His wife has gone off with his father, not expecting Keita to return alive. Tomoko, who wrote the postcard, was persuaded to re-marry her husband's younger brother, but he was also killed in the war. Her father-in-law has died of shock, and her mother-in-law has killed herself, leaving Tomoko alone in a poverty-stricken farmhouse. It is at this point Keita visits her with the postcard, and learns of her reality.

And then the bad news: Filming halted on ‘The Grandmasters winter 2011 release at the point but it might slip into 2012 :(
Sohu Entertainment News are reporting that filming on ‘The Grandmasters’ has stopped and Wong Kar-wai has something else to be busy with. The film has been in preparation for almost 8 years and in production for 2 years, yesterday was rumoured to be coming to a production halt. It had been assumed that the film was near completion and was in the promotional phase. However, this could not be further from the truth.
In the interim its lead actor Tony Leung, who has focused on making and not taken any other role, recently accepted a role in Derek Yee’s ‘The Great Magician’ whilst he waits for ‘The Grandmasters’ to resume.

According to an insider of ‘The Grandmasters’, actress Song Hye-kyo has left the team in December 2010, and she has not returned in January 2011 when filming resumed. According to the staff, Hye-kyo was ‘very gentle’, she has not complained about the shooting delay as what has been rumoured. She did not need to do any kung fu fighting scenes. Though she should be playing an important role, she has only done a small portion of the shooting, so she might need to return to continue shooting later. However, Wong Kar-wai still has no idea how to fit her into the movie. There is a chance that not only Hye-kyo, but some of the other actors/actresses portions will be ‘cut’. All the main roles including the part played by actor Chang Chen, except Hye-kyo have a lot of fighting scenes.

The release date for ‘The Grandmasters’ has repeatedly been delayed, from National Day to Lunar New Year of this year. Thus its goal was to finish by May. Reportedly from the current progress it would have difficulty with its completion. Wong Kar Wai decided to halt the production for Tony Leung to make money first while he could explore new elements before consider when to resume production. For the past two years Tony Leung has decided not to accept any other film roles so that he could focus fully on playing the role of Yip Man. However, it has been decided that he will begin work on ‘The Magician’ in the next few weeks and resume filming on ‘The Grandmasters’ at a later date.

ilikeme

wong kar wai is making a wuxia action-hero movie

am i getting this somewhat correctly

and there is another wuxia movie coming out called wuxia

and that too sounds promising?

what does wuxia mean

does it mean heaven

CiSTM

Banned
ilikeme said:
wong kar wai is making a wuxia action-hero movie

am i getting this somewhat correctly

and there is another wuxia movie coming out called wuxia

and that too sounds promising?

what does wuxia mean

does it mean heaven

Yup, you got it right. Peter Chan's film at the moment goes by the name Wu Xia but it could just be placeholder name.

straight from wikipedia.
Wuxia[pronunciation?](simplified Chinese: 武侠; traditional Chinese: 武俠; pinyin: wǔxiá) is a broad genre of Chinese fiction concerning the adventures of martial artists. Although wuxia is traditionally a form of literature, its popularity has caused it to spread to different art forms like Chinese opera, manhua (Chinese comics), films, television series, and video games.

So basically wuxia is just an another film genre.

Momo

Banned
CaptYamato said:
I've heard "The Yellow Sea" is rather disappointing.
How was Space Battleship Yamato? With your username I have a feeling you saw it already, I was waiting to pull the trigger on it.

Momo said:
How was Space Battleship Yamato? With your username I have a feeling you saw it already, I was waiting to pull the trigger on it.

I haven't seen it yet. My name is of a guy from Naruto. lol. I do love me some SBY though.

CiSTM

Banned
- Sin of a family - dir. Min Byeong-jin - Trailer -​
A boy’s dead body is found. Detectives cannot verify the identity, and the case is gradually forgotten. A few months later, they come across the boy’s picture while watching a Missing Child Program on TV. They visit the boy’s house only to find an angelic family hiding an infernal secret.

and more promo pics from 1911

J0h6z.jpg

IisNm.jpg

Nrat5.jpg

uuy5v.jpg

lXzaH.jpg

I hope Chan can launch new golden era for himself with this and upcoming armour of god 3. Been too long since he was in a good film :(

Ratrat

CaptYamato said:
Thoughts? I finally got to see it recently. Sometimes I thought I was watching a Zack Snyder film. But I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for most of it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Michiko, the plainest student in her high school class. However, when she obtains a rare avatar on a social networking site called "Ava Q," the boundary between her real and online identities becomes blurred as she shapes her physical form to match the avatar, even receiving facial surgery. As she gains influence among her classmates, she begins committing crimes for the sake of the site's digital currency, going as far as committing murder.

Sounds cool. Are these subbed in English? Where would you get a DVD or rental of these from? Netflix when available?

SHAZOOM

Man, they're remaking Dragon Inn again? I wonder if Shu Qi is going to play Bridgette Lin's part.

Redline looks INSANE.

Wu Xia looks like its a love letter to the Wong Fei Hung/Once Upon a Time in China era of HK cinema in the mid 1990s.

CiSTM

Banned
Ctghf.png
- Ladda Land - dir. Sophon Sakdapisit - Trailer -
A family moves into a new house where they gradually begin to encounter paranormal and horror events.

9biyO.jpg
- Goodbye Pyongyang - dir. Yang Yong-hi - Trailer -
Goodbye Pyongyang, an 82-minute documentary filmed by a Korean resident in Japan, offers a glimpse of life in the North Korean capital through the eyes of a separated family living in the two countries.

QqxvM.jpg
- In love and the war - dir. Park Gun-young - Trailer -
June 1950, soon after the break out of Korean War, a troop of North Korean soldiers
enter a small South Korean village. Captain Jeong-woong proclaims that they came
to liberate the villagers but their true agenda is to ferret out the reactionaries.

AUfRB.jpg
- Sin of a family - dir. Byeong-jin Min - Trailer -
A boy’s dead body is found. Detectives cannot verify the identity, and the case is gradually forgotten. A few months later, they come across the boy’s picture while watching a Missing Child Program on TV. They visit the boy’s house only to find an angelic family hiding an infernal secret.

AuDU4.jpg
- Funny Neighbors - dir. Yang Young-chul - Trailer -
The local newspaper company ‘BongGye Shinmun’ never has a day of peace. The editor deals with the pressure of writing articles that promote placing of advertisements and reporters are too busy studying the ’face of the moment’ and their excursions. A spinster editor, a female teacher holding her breath worried that her husband will leave his job, a father who merely survives day-to-day, a quick tempered taxi driver and various village people run through the film. Their events and experiences look like a series of crisis and tension but it is life in a nutshell.

Ug5Pu.jpg
- I Am a Dad - dir. Jeon Man-bae - Trailer -
Corrupt detective Han Jong-sik takes care of a gang and gets kickbacks to save his daughter. One day he gets news from the organ transplant coordinator that they have found a heart for his daughter. However, he finds out the donor is magician Sang-man who he put false charges over and was in jail.

Sang-man lost his young daughter and wife and became a vegetative state himself. Jong-sik guesses he wouldn't allow the transplant so he plans a way to get rid of him. Just as Sang-man is about to go over in the hands of a gang and get surgery, he realizes the plan and disappears with Jong-sik's daughter.

opySd.jpg
- The Suicide Forcast - dir. Jo Jin-Mo - Trailer -
A former professional baseball player, Byeong-wu, made a successful career transition into a high-flying insurance advisor, thanks to his keen business sense and quick wits. One day, he is summoned by police during an investigation, where the daughter of a former client who took his own life confronts him. She furiously accuses him of not doing anything to stop her father when he consulted him about insurance payouts in case of death by suicide. Byeong-wu storms out, saying there is nothing one could do to stop someone determined to end their life. However, Byeong-wu is subject to an internal investigation as the number of insurance claims on suicide starts rising among his clients. Byeong-wu runs through his client list and finds a suspicious group of people introduced to him by the same person—and starts visiting them one by one.

gUer9.jpg
- Hospitalité - dir. Koji Fukada - Trailer -
In a corner of downtown Tokyo, Kobayashi lives here with his young wife, his daughter from his previous marriage, and his sister who is divorced. In this diligent working family the only recent occurrence is the disappearance of Pi-chan, their pet parakeet. One day Kagawa, who claims to be the son of a wealthy family that once gave financial assistance to the Kobayashi, appears out of the blue. While adopting a humble attitude, Kagawa moves into their home, and the everyday life of the Kobayashi couple begins to unravel under the influence of Kagawa and the visitors that he brings with him.

6Wuw7.jpg
- MILOCRORZE – A Love Story - dir. Yoshimasa Ishibashi - Trailer -​
A kitschy retro musical’s unconventional relationship therapist, a smitten one-eyed ronin straight out of a samurai drama and a storybook tale of a man-child subject to the whims of a mysterious woman are at the heart of two love stories loosely linked to each other in an exploration of masculine romantic angst. Artist and designer Ishibashi’s visually rich debut feature stars Thirteen Assassins’ Yamada Takayuki and balances ridiculous humour with arresting images to create an irreverent, modern pop-punk fantasy.

6lcRR.jpg
- Three points - dir. Masashi Yamamoto - Trailer -
The only plot information available is for the Tokyo chapter. Aoi plays a girl named Saki who’s saved from a street gang by a Tokyo drifter named Iga (Murakami). Iga gets hurt, but refuses to go to the hospital, so Saki lets him stay with her. After just one night, he disappears. However, one day Saki returns home and is surprised to find Iga has also returned…

AAequal

Banned
Zenith said:
anyone know when that live-action Spaceship Yamato movie is going to make it over to the West?

Distribution rights have been sold at least in France, Germany and Spain so I guess it's a safe bet that it will eventually get US/UK release.

Sorry, I can't compare it to the anime or manga since I've only seen the first movie. The movie is really tame compared to the manga is all I've heard. It was entertaining! Totally fun but slow during some parts. Anyway, it's pretty violent...

The suits are amazing and I always like to watch Japanese movies with bigger budgets. It was almost always dark in the movie though. The fight with Tanaka Alien was sooooooooo gooood.

I can't wait to see the second movie.

Momo said:

I saw it yesterday on my flight from Amsterdam to Seattle (Delta has an English-subbed version on their In-Flight entertainment system this month). I thought it was way too long and they did a poor job introducing many of the characters.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Feel somehow re-invigorated about Asian cinema over the past week. Vard can probably attest to my lethargic attitude toward it over the past several months, but recently I sat down and watched some newer offerings from Lee Chang-dong, Katsuyuki Motohiro & Satoshi Miki and I'm looking forward to what is on the horizon. Mixed that in with rewatching Kinji Fukasaku's The Yakuza Papers and first time watching Masaki Kobayashi's incredible The Human Condition trilogy.

My ex flew in from Japan and stayed for a while, lamenting about Asian cinema and I just told her to wait for 12 months and she won't say the same thing again. Everything seems to be heading toward a crescendo of greatness.

Nippon Cinema released some goodies earlier today. First up is a teaser for Katsuhito Ishii's newest film "Smuggler" and it looks like the man is back to his awesome zany best. Reminds me of Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl and I love whatever this man poops out so naturally I am looking forward to it.

Secondly another teaser but for Takashi Miike's Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai. Can't say I am slightly disappointed; he's done a remake for 13 Assassins just recently and now he's trying to one-up Masaki Kobayashi's untouchable Harakiri (aka Seppuku)? Bah humbug. It looks fucking beautiful though and I'll watch anything Miike creates - glad to see him choose Koji Yakusho in another role though since the man is a god.

speedpop

Sadly, yes. One of those ones I tend to shove away in a forgotten area of a corner and it might never be seen again.

But eh.. I allocate the films via directors so I have to deal with a mishap or three. My favourite Japanese director (Takeshi Kitano) has the occasional lapse of incapacity but his gems are always worth it. Always. I can't imagine my life without being able to watch Hana-Bi at least once every year.

AAequal

Banned
OYi6T.jpg

Guilty of Romance teaser trailer. Sion Sono has been on fire ever since Love Exposure and I really want to see this one. It will be shown at cannes festival too bad I'm not going :( But at least we will have some early reviews of it soon.

And that's not all, there is even more good news for Sion Sono fans:
Guilty of Romance is said to be “a dramatic account of three women and their lives, seen through the looking glass of sex, words, madness, death and family. Bombarding the audience with graphic images and assaulting the emotions with classical music, this is a movie that provokes all your senses”. The version to be screened is the director’s cut (143min vs 149min). Will it help Sion Sono to attract wider attention?

Expect more news from Sono during Cannes, 2 new projects will be unveiled: the samurai flick Blood of Wolves (co-directed with Tak Sakaguchi), and “a self-remake project of his internationally acclaimed work”.

speedpop

Sion Sono has quite the devout following but I don't know. A lot of his movies reek of the substandard J-drama crap. I really tried to enjoy Love Exposure but the post production on it made me want to weep.

I'd love to seem him behind a real cinema lens with a 3 hr budget afforded to him because as much as I dislike his movies, a lot of his stories are quite unique.

I have a feeling that Miike is going to hit a grand-slam and shock everyone with how good Harakiri will be. Not saying it will be a classic like the original though.13 Assassins was great; Graveyard was a lot better than it should have been. Miike seems to know how to handle a remake.

Blader

Thinking of picking up The Man From Nowhere. How does it compare to stuff like The Good, The Bad, The Weird (my favorite Korean action flick yet) or A Bittersweet Life?

It's weaker than those two. It's like a Korean attempt at an American action flick. Has some nice fight scenes and a badass knife fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom