• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Cinema 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
erlim said:
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
(3D Tsui Hark Movie w/ Jet Li (Hong Kong))
flying-swords-of-dragon-gate-inn.jpg
Added, thanks mate.

Not big fan of the recent epic chinese war films but I did like Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame so I'll give this one a shot for sure.

Blader

Still need to see The Man From Nowhere, from last year. Also looking forward to Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins, which is supposed to be coming to the US early this year.

On the animu front, I'm definitely anticipating Redline, Makoto Shinkai's next, Satoshi Kon's last (;_;), and some franchise stuff (FMA, Berserk).

Superman00

Liverpool01
CiSTM said:
Added, thanks mate.

Not big fan of the recent epic chinese war films but I did like Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame so I'll give this one a shot for sure.

It should be more of wuxia movie.

CiSTM

Banned
There has been some early reviews and they have been mostly negative but I have knack for Korean crime/detective flicks so I'm gonna watch this for sure. In theaters feb. 17th (korea)

OrFd4.png

- Children - dir. Lee Kyoo-Man - Trailer -​
Based on the famous, unsolved March 26th, 1991 missing person case of 5 children from Daegu *Sengse* elementary school who went out to pick frog eggs from Ryong Mountain. Their bodies were later found in 2002 with no suspect.

Not my cup of tea but it has done extremly well in Korea so I guess it should also be mentioned in this thread. Out now in theaters (korea)
al513.png

- Glove - dir. Kang Woo-suk - Trailer -​
Based on a true story, it’s the moving saga of 10 young baseball players from a Catholic school for hearing-impaired children and teenagers who are coached to the national junior competition – by a pro-baseball pitcher who had been ousted from the league for his behavior. The player redeems himself through the process and the youngsters learn to believe in themselves, to trust and communicate in ways much more profound than the spoken word.

CiSTM

Banned
Love Exposure was one of the best asian movies of 2010 so I'm expecting a lot from Sion Sono and his new movie. Theater release May 17th. 2011.

BCUCD.png

- Cold Fish - dir. Sion Sono - Trailer -​
Cold Fish tells the story of a tropical fish seller named Shamoto (Mitsuru Fukikoshi) who becomes an accomplice to a string of grisly homicides committed by a fellow seller (Denden) and his wife after they hold Shamoto's daughter hostage. Promoted as an unflinching portrait of violence and madness, the story is partially based on a true case.

CiSTM

Banned
Miike to remake Harakiri in 3d. Thirteen Assasins was effin' awesome so I'm kinda glad Miike is helming this. I love the orginal film and there is no way this will be good as it but I'm still glad to see more samurai films so no hard feelings here :)
Masaki Kobayashi's 1962 film "Seppuku" (also known overseas as "Harakiri") is getting a 3D remake, with Takashi Miike taking the helm as director. The starring role, originally played by Tatsuya Nakadai (77), will be handed over to Ebizo Ichikawa (32), who last starred in the 2006 movie "Deguchi no Nai Umi" ("Sea Without Exit").

The "Seppuku" remake will have the honor of being the first jidaigeki film in 3D. Due to the classic status and famous cast members of the original work, Miike's version will undoubtedly draw much attention. Miike is looking to start shooting next month, with a release date sometime in 2011.

3D love from Studio 4°C.
yyXLt.jpg

The Japanese film website white-screen.jp posted an article about the 3D anime efforts of Studio 4°C and director Koji Morimoto (The Animatrix, Genius Party, Memories) earlier this month. During last month's Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF), the studio demoed its Sachiko trailer and its new Ambient Love project in stereoscopic 3D.

Ambient Love is the latest Studio 4°C project that Morimoto is personally directing. The love story uses minimalistic images and sound to depict a rendezvous between a man and a woman. Studio 4°C previewed a one-minute version of the project at TAF.

Morimoto and his Ambient Love CGI director Shunsuke Watanabe (Halo Legends) noted the different requirements of 3D production compared to traditional 2D production, such as editing with longer cuts and filling the camera's "deeper" field of view without overwhelming the viewers. Watanabe runs Autodesk MAYA 2009 software on a Third Wave workstation equipped with an NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 graphics card, which outputs stereoscopic 3D via an Acer GD245HQ monitor and active-shutter glasses.

Morimoto noted that he has been influenced by fellow director Katsuhiro Otomo, French comic creator Moebius, and the photography work of Issei Suda and Matt Mahurin. He became an animator because of Space Battleship Yamato, and his favorite movie is Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker.

Post-apocalyptic film from Korea. End Of Animal
fzykB.jpg

A strange man hops into a taxi already occupied by Sun-yeong, on her way to her mother’s home to give birth. The man speaks gibberish, pretends to know all about the driver and Sun-yeong, and then promptly begins a countdown. The taxi driver and Sun-yeong are confused, but the man in the baseball cap remains indifferent. When he counts down to zero the taxi suddenly comes to a stop and they fall unconscious. Sun-yeong, now alone and in a deserted field, heads towards the Taeryeong village, believing it to be the only place where she will be able to get in touch with her mother. But a glance around the strange village tells her that everything electrical has come to a standstill and people seem to disappearing one by one. Will Sun-yeong make it to the rest area to contact her mother? Why is there no power and where have the people gone? More important is the question of who the strange man in the baseball cap really is.

CiSTM

Banned
q7KzJ.png

- Detective K Secret Of Virtuous Window - dir. Seok-yun Kim - Trailer -​
Wherever he goes or whatever he does, trouble seems to follow detective KIM. He receives a special mission from the king to investigate LIM's family, one of the royal families. LIM is suspected of funneling taxes to be paid to the king and it is KIM's mission to find the evidence to support that suspicion. During his investigation, he acquaints LIM’s daughter-in-law Ah-young, whose reputation for her loyalty to one man is well known all over the town. With the help of Ah-young, KIM uncovers a conspiracy despite LIM's constant interference. KIM falls deeper into the rabbit hole and endangers himself in the process.

yK5HL.png

- Mr. and Mrs. Incredible - dir. Vincent Kok - Trailer -​
Love is never meant to be an easy matter – especially for superheroes. Gazer Captain (Louis Koo) falls in love with Red aka Aroma Woman (Sandra Ng). Getting tired of their lifestyle, they decide to retreat to a small village and start a family. Five years pass, Gazer and Red live a quiet and happy life. One day an official announces that an upcoming martial arts tournament will be held in their tranquil village. Hundreds of kung fu masters and fanatics arrive for the ultimate championship, then trouble really kicks off.

More crime films from Korea. Blue Salt starring Song Kang-ho and Sin Se-kyeong
DQeMn.jpg

Retired mob boss Du-heon enrolls in a cooking class with the hopes of making a fresh start as a restaurant owner. In the class he meets a quirky girl, Se-bin, and finds himself drawn to her mysterious charms. Despite his determination to wipe the slate clean, Du-heon is summoned back into the criminal fold by his old colleagues to stop his successor expanding the mob business into prostitution and drug-dealing.

But there’s more to the girl from the cooking class than meets the eye: Se-bin is a contract killer hired by the new boss. She keeps a close eye on Du-heon and watches for an opportunity to take him out. However, she comes into conflict with herself as she grows attached to him.

When her friend and partner, Eun-jeong, is kidnapped by the new boss, she suggests that she kill Du-heon in exchange for her friend’s safe return. On a vast salt farm, Se-bin and Du-heon come face to face in a final showdown.

Monster film, Sector 7 hits theaters this summer.
du4HA.jpg

g21S0.jpg

In “Sector 7″, an underwater oil field located south of Jeju Island, Hae-jun is working as a marine equipment manager on an oil prospecting ship called Eclipse. Joining the crew later is Jeong-man, a former colleague of Hae-jun’s father, assigned to Eclipse as captain. Though his job is to oversee the withdrawal of the ship, he suggests conducting some drilling one last time.

After 3 weeks of preparation, Hae-jun takes new recruit underwater, but he sinks to the bottom of the sea when the equipment fails. Shortly crew members begin to turn up dead, one by one, their bodies viciously multilated.

What the few survivors soon discover is a transparent underwater creature they encountered once before. The viral monster infiltrated the ship through the drilling pipe and has been feeding on the crew to survive. Hae-jun and his colleagues’ frantic fight for their lives begins.

I Saw the Devil US poster
SGhJ7.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
SONG FUCKING KANG-HO!

Blue Salt is on the to-goddamn-watch list.

Shaolin looks good. I'm just so wary of Chinese/Hong Kong cinema these days. Back in the late 80s and 90s it'd be fine cause it was all fluff with some nostalgic substance, but half of the damn films are filled to the brim with 1949+ propaganda somehow.

That said, I re-watched Departures earlier tonight and cried my eyes out in a semi-drunken state. Two of my favourite Japanese actors and Hisaishi behind the music score = emotion. I know it's not the best that Japan can produce but fuck it, the film is great.

CiSTM

Banned
Clevinger said:
Didn't Li say he was done with these types of movies?
Money. Lee got 12 million dollars for his role in Dragon Gate Inn and similar buckaroos from shaolin. He is the best paid actor in china right now and it seems china isn't going to stop producing these wuxia flicks. So we will be seeing a lot of him in the future if he is offered enough money.

You can also catch Jet Li in his first non-action flick Ocean Heaven (aka Haiyang tiantang), a drama about the relationship between a father and his autistic son.

LQX said:
Holy shit. Dragon Inn is in my top 5 of Kung Fu movies. Still have it on DVD. Cant wait to see how this turns out.

which one ? The orginal from the 60s or the 1992 remake ? I really like 'em both but my heart goes for 1992 remake and the director of the new film produced and wrote the 1992 remake.

For me Headshot sounds like the one with the most potential. Other films id be eager to watch are Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below (looks beautiful and seems promising), and that Detective one seems like could be an enjoyable comedy.

Felt like the majority of the trailers were underwhelming, so I will have to read reviews/impressions before considering. I hope at least some of the films will be featured at this film festival here.

CiSTM

Banned
While I think it's a bad movie it seems there is lots of Murakami fans here who are eager to see it so I will add it into the op. They really should have gone with an another director and screenplay writer. Murakami's writing style is hard to adapt into big screen I would say Norwegian Wood had a lot of potential but in the end it was very underwhelming film. Jonny Greenwood's OST was great tho so it's not all bad.

axrF5.png

- Norwegian Wood - dir. Tran Anh Hung - Trailer -​
Upon hearing the song "Norwegian Wood," Toru (Matsuyama) remembers back to his life in the 1960s, when his friend Kizuki killed himself and he grew close to Naoko, Kizuki's girlfriend. As the two try, in very different ways, to contend with their grief, Toru forms a bond with another woman, Midori.

Horror from Thailand Unborn Children 2002. Out in March 2011.
trailer 1 and trailer 2

Also some action from Thailand Friday Killer.
“Friday Killer” is the story of Pae Uzi, aka The Eagle of Chantaburi, a professional hit-man who was just been set free from prison. After his release, he learns for the first time he has a daughter Dao. The tables are turned on Pae when his daughter tries to kill him, because she thinks he killed the only father that she ever knew.
trailer
0aJmB.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
0S4n4.png

- High Kick Girl! - dir. Fuyuhiko Nishi - [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNpjuyUvbYo&feature=player_embedded]Trailer[/url] -​
A mysterious high-school girl, AYAKA, is a genuine Karate master but no one knows about her ability. She hides her skills and passion for Karate to protect her family treasure, the Black Belt, whose owner is an authentic master of Karate. However, she is accidentally caught out by her enemy, who had killed her family for the Black Belt when she was little, and eventually unveils who she really is. Now a fateful battle is inevitable to prove who is the master of Karate.

Confession to get UK release.
Trailer
CONFESSIONS is released by Third Window Films and will open at selected UK cinemas on 18th February 2011. In London full-runs are confirmed at the ICA, Ritzy Picturehouse and Genesis Cinema (with more to be confirmed soon), plus one-off screenings at places such as the Tricycle Theatre and more. Regional cinema confirmations are also coming in soon, so keep on checking the Third Window website for up to date information.

Confessions of a Dog also getting UK release. trailer
UK label Third Window Films has just confirmed the acquisition of Gen Takahashi’s police-corruption epic Confessions of a Dog, which has been highly praised so far – could be one of the most interesting japanese film released this past few years!

The story of a good cop forced into drug smuggling by none other than his boss. The DVD will be release on March 14th, 2011 after a limited theatrical release.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Regardless of the quality, it's terribly annoying that Norwegian Wood doesn't even have a US distributor yet -- even though the soundtrack has been released here.

Kikujiro said:
Really looking forward Pen-ek Ratanaruang's movie (should be ready for Cannes).

Vaguely curious about this one, too. He's done an interesting variety of films so far...

CiSTM

Banned
CvglB.png

- Battlefield Heroes - dir. Lee Jun Ik - Trailer -​
A.D. 7C, a rising kingdom in Korean peninsula, Silla, attacks the biggest kingdom Goguryeo in alliance with Tang. Goguryeo has been the most powerful kingdom so far even threatening Tang Dynasty in China. Natural-born-strategist KIM from Silla notices Tang’s ambition about conquering Silla after beating Goguryeo. While cooperating with Tang, KIM secretly conspires to join forces with Goguryeo to keep Tang off Korean Peninsula. Throughout fierce battles, they never lose their wits and humor.

0LQ7G.png

- Avatar - dir. Atsushi Wada - Trailer -​
Michiko, the plainest student in her high school class. However, when she obtains a rare avatar on a social networking site called "Ava Q," the boundary between her real and online identities becomes blurred as she shapes her physical form to match the avatar, even receiving facial surgery. As she gains influence among her classmates, she begins committing crimes for the sake of the site's digital currency, going as far as committing murder.

other news:

Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate (Behind the scene)

The Client - Courtroom thriller from Korea. Release date in Korea : 2011/06/30
Battle of wits as a lawyer slowly uncovers the truth that his client tries to hide
Defense attorney Kang receives a notorious case to defend Han, who is accused of killing his wife. Even though her body is not discovered, the general public is quick to label him as the devil-reincarnate and begs for a shift guilty verdict. It’s a difficult case but Kang is confident that he will prevail. The defendant is an enigmatic character with OCD who can’t express his thoughts clearly. Fortunately for him, there is no murder weapon but he doesn’t have an alibi either. The prosecutor handling Han’s case is also Kang’s archrival, and is determined to bring down Han for the murder and his lawyer along with him. Kang digs into Han’s case in order to uncover evidences to clear his client’s name.

Shojotachi no Rashinban - http://rashinban-movie.com/
Riko Narumi stars in mystery film "Shojotachi no Rashinban"
Teen actress Riko Narumi (17) will star in a mystery movie titled "Shojotachi no Rashinban," directed by Shunichi Nagasaki ("Nishi no Majo ga Shinda"). The film is based on a book that won a prize in the 1st Fukuyama Mystery Literature Newcomer Awards two years ago.

Set in Fukuyama, the story revolves around a group of four high school girls who were part of a legendary theatrical group called Rashinban (which means "compass"). The group went on hiatus after a member suddenly died, but four years later the truth behind her death is unraveled and a plan for revenge is set in motion.

Narumi's supporting cast consists of Shiori Kutsuna (17), Ayaka Morita (21), and Mayuu Kusakari (17). "Shojotachi no Rashinban" is scheduled for theatrical release spring.

Sion Sono making an another movie - Guilty of Romance
The next feature film project from notorious Japanese director Sion Sono, whose Cold Fish and Love Exposure have won wide international critical acclaim, was announced Sunday at the American Film Market. Guilty of Romance, an erotically charged film starring a little known actress whose name has yet to be revealed by producer Nikkatsu, was unveiled by Yuko Shiomaki of year-and-halfold Tokyo-based sales company pictures dept.

“Because there are hard sex scenes in it, the film will be very sensitive in Japan,” Shiomaki said of the film, now in production with a budget of about $1.5 million. The Guilty story begins on a night that a woman’s body, cut in half and otherwise violated and attached to a mannequin, is found in an abandoned building.

“Cold Fish” was an official selection this year at film festivals in Venice, Toronto and Pusan, and won the best screenplay award in the Fantastic Features section at Fantastic Fest 2010. It will release in Japan in January. Four-hour long “Love Exposure,” didn’t do much theatrical business, but did “really well in DVD,”Shiomaki said. Previously, Sono’s The Room won a Special Jury Prize at Sundance in 1992, and he gained international notoriety for his 2001 picture Suicide Club.

New Seediq Bale info and new film material
youtube link
mwNMH.jpg

Wei Te-sheng's (魏德聖) aborigine epic Seediq Bale (賽德克・巴萊) will open in Taiwan next September in two parts. The first, subtitled "Flags of the Sun", on 9 Sep 2011; the second, subtitled "Rainbow Bridge", on 30 Sep 2011.

CMC Entertainment (中環國際娛樂事業股份有限公司) has picked up local rights to the two-part movie from director Wei's company, ARS Film Production (果子電影有限公司). CMC's regular distribution partner, VieVision (威視股份有限公司), will handle marketing and bookings.

Set in the 1930s, the NT$600 million ($20 million) epic is about the Sediq tribe's brave uprising against Japanese soldiers during their occupation of Taiwan. Part one will likely cover the uprising in which 215 soldiers were slaughtered; part two, the brutal retaliation.

The film stars local actors Vivian Hsu (徐若瑄), Mark Ma (馬志翔) and Landy Wen (溫嵐) and a cast of 15,000 extras. The difficult seven-month shoot by a 400-member crew in mountainous areas of northern and eastern Taiwan concluded in September.

Although Seediq has not been set up as a Chinese co-production, Taiwan films are expected to have easier access to mainland cinema screens in 2011, a window that may close in 2012.

Wei's previous film, ensemble comedy Cape No. 7 (海角七號), secured a mainland theatrical release in Feb 2009, six months after its Taiwan opening, as political relations between China and Taiwan warmed.

Decado

CiSTM said:
CvglB.png

- Battlefield Heroes - dir. Lee Jun Ik - Trailer -​
Damn. It looks like a crappy comedy. I've been waiting for a worthwhile historical epic from Korea ever since the wonderful Musa was released. :\

I'm slightly concerned that, besides The Yellow Sea, the Asian movies I'm most interested in are coming from China/HK (not usually a good sign as they tend to disappoint).

BTW, was Bangkok Knockout already released? While I'm sure it'll be almost unwatchable outside the action scenes, the action should be fun.

CiSTM

Banned
Official trailer for Lost Bladesman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWQXVW2AUiw&feature=player_embedded

Also lesbian romance from Korea - Ashamed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBWfZf3eUk&feature=player_embedded#
An art professor JUNG takes a trip with her student Hee-jin and a nude model YOON to the sea. While they wait out the storm, YOON tells them about her love story as an ‘altruistic genetics’ - love same sex. Two years ago, a pickpocket KANG and a mock suicide YOON was handcuffed together. Two girls ran away from the police to a temple to unlock the handcuffs where they had their first kiss. Listening to their story, JUNG and Hee-jin find a new aspect of love.

LQX

CiSTM said:

which one ? The orginal from the 60s or the 1992 remake ? I really like 'em both but my heart goes for 1992 remake and the director of the new film produced and wrote the 1992 remake.
1992 version. Would like to see the original one though as I read it's better. Hard to find though and I don't think its been released on DVD.

CiSTM

Banned
Decado said:
Damn. It looks like a crappy comedy. I've been waiting for a worthwhile historical epic from Korea ever since the wonderful Musa was released. :\

I'm slightly concerned that, besides The Yellow Sea, the Asian movies I'm most interested in are coming from China/HK (not usually a good sign as they tend to disappoint).

BTW, was Bangkok Knockout already released? While I'm sure it'll be almost unwatchable outside the action scenes, the action should be fun.

Yeah, so far there isn't that much interesting stuff coming out. At the moment I'm interested following movies:

- The Dream Machine - dir. Satoshi Kon
- Cold Fish - dir. Sion Sono (and the other Sion Sono film)
- Headshot - dir. Pen-Ek Ratanaruang (should be good noire film)
- Yellow Sea - dir. Hong-jin (gonna see this next week)
- Bloodproof - dir. Park Ji-hwan
- The Grand Master - dir. Wong Kar-wai (his hollywood debut was god awful but I guess this could be neat)

edit: but in spirit of this thread I'm gonna watch all the movies I'm listing in the op ;)

CiSTM

Banned
Decado said:

this could interest you. doesn't really float my boat but at least it looks better then that BF crap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz06Qht3a4E&feature=player_embedded#
Set in 1619 in Manchuria China, three Korean soldiers survive a deadly battle between Chinese and Korean forces. The soldiers were coerced to come to China by the Ming Dynasty. The soldiers carry scars from the battlefield and their own pasts. Between these three men an even deadlier battle is soon to take place as they fight for their lives. Meanwhile, the Korean soldiers are getting closer to the tavern.

going to add it into op asap.
Release Date: February 24, 2011

Superman00

Liverpool01
Clevinger said:
Didn't Li say he was done with these types of movies?

Jet Li have been doing a lot philanthropy the last couples of year. There was also an article explaining why he does certain movies. I guess this movie is for money.

Decado

CiSTM said:
this could interest you. doesn't really float my boat but at least it looks better then that BF crap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz06Qht3a4E&feature=player_embedded#

going to add it into op asap.
Release Date: February 24, 2011
Thanks for the heads-up. I guess it depends on what kind of film it is. I get the impression that most of it focuses on those three characters and it isn't really a war film. Still, looks better than the other one. Hopefully a good director/writer combo is behind it.

CiSTM

Banned
saBro.png

- Bleak Night - dir. Yoon Sung hyun - Trailer -​
Three best friends, Ki-tae, Dong-yoon, and Hee-june: they thought their friendship would last forever. A few tiny cracks of distrust start to develop among these three best friends. Ki-tae and Hee-june are suddenly filled with misunderstanding and hate, and Ki-tae starts to use violence to Hee-june. When Dong-yoon finds out about Ki-tae’s abusive behavior toward Hee-june, he tries to stop Ki-tae but fails. Instead, what started out as little doubts, push these three boys into the point of no return.
cvZ5h.jpg

JGKwe.png

- Bloody Fight - dir. Park Hun-Jeong - Trailer -​
Set in 1619 in Manchuria China, three Korean soldiers survive a deadly battle between Chinese and Korean forces. The soldiers were coerced to come to China by the Ming Dynasty. The soldiers carry scars from the battlefield and their own pasts. Between these three men an even deadlier battle is soon to take place as they fight for their lives. Meanwhile, the Korean soldiers are getting closer to the tavern.
27phP.jpg

:O OMG!
Choi Min Sik starring in The War Against Crime
qcoxe.jpg

Choi Min Sik is due to play a tough Police Officer (Public Official) in the 90's (Under the rule of Roh Tae woo the 13th president of South Korea (1988–1993) During the governments war on crime in Busan, South Korea. Production is due to start late march or early April.

What Women Want remake :x
00byY.jpg

Andy Lau understands What Women Want
Hong Kong superstar Andy Lau is set to star in a remake of What Women Want, the romantic comedy that starred Mel Gibson as a chauvinist who can read the minds of the opposite sex.

Backed by China's Bona International Film Group, the US$5 million Chinese-language production will also feature hot Chinese actress Fan Bingbing who reprises the role of Helen Hunt. Mainland actor-director Chen Daming will helm the film.

Beijing-based Paramount consultant Dede Nickerson serves as one of the producers although the US studio is not officially onboard as financier or distributor of the new film. The original film, released by Paramount in 2000, was an international box office hit.

While it is understood that the story will stay close to the original, the new film will also deal with the social dynamics between men and women in China in a humorous way, a rare subject matter for a Chinese film.

Production is due to begin in May with a release targeted for Valentine's Day in 2011. Hong Kong-based Distribution Workshop handles international sales.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I saw a poster of the What Women Want remake earlier today when we were in Chinatown and I almost guffawed like Goofy.

CiSTM said:
You can also catch Jet Li in his first non-action flick Ocean Heaven (aka Haiyang tiantang), a drama about the relationship between a father and his autistic son.
I really enjoyed this somewhat. Apparently a lot of the production was charity-wise. Simple enough story but it was quite moving sometimes.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
speedpop said:
I really enjoyed this somewhat. Apparently a lot of the production was charity-wise. Simple enough story but it was quite moving sometimes.

How is his acting chops when he doesn't have big spectacle fight scenes to hide behind? Expendables was like a phone-in job, barely understandable with a thick accent.

Blablurn

beijing is full of "What Women Want" posters! i really wanna watch this movie someday. especially because i really liked the original flick haha.

CiSTM

Banned
BTW I found this few weeks back. You can rent/buy Japanese films from the site. Currently it has awful selection but they are updating at decent rate so the site might end up being some what decent source for JP-films (I doubt it but strange things happen).
http://www.japanflix.com/

CiSTM

Banned
Trailer for My back Pages.
Trailer
Based on Saburo Kawamoto’s autobiographical novel “My Back Pages: Aru 60-nendai no Monogatari” (A Story of Life in the 60s), the film is set during the student protests at Tokyo University. At the time, Kawamoto was working as a journalist covering the protests, which were in reaction to the Japanese government’s tolerance of US involvement in the Vietnam War and the use of Okinawa as a staging ground for that war.

Satoshi Tsumabuki plays a reporter named Sawada who interviews protesters and collects data on behalf of the editorial department of a weekly publication. As tensions ramp up in the late 60s, he meets a young activist who introduces himself as “Umeyama” (Kenichi Matsuyama), although his real name turns out to be Katagiri. Katagiri tells him “Guns and other weapons are being gathered. In April, we’ll take action.”

Sawada has serious misgivings about Katagiri, but the two men strike up a strange rapport during a uniquely turbulent era.

“My Back Pages” will be released in Japan on May 28, 2011.

linsivvi

CiSTM said:
It's still set to be released in 2011 by the production studio and they started filming in 2010 so there is a very good chance that it will be out this year. Probably only in mainland China though.

I will believe it when they have a firm release date. It's Wong Kar Wai and he's notorious for taking his sweet time. They actually started filming in 2009 already. His movie was planned before the first Ip Man movie was even announced, and the other guys have made like what, 3 movies already? :lol.

CiSTM

Banned
Berlin film fest can't come soon enough ;)
The Wong Kar Wai directed film THE GRANDMASTERS earlier unveiled lead actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai's GRANDMASTER look, surprised the American Film Market, led to attention from buyers and fans everywhere and even started an online poster bid fever. THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) has been in production for awhile. The film company in order to satisfy everyone's curiosity would strike again when it would display Wai Jai and Zhang Ziyi's action sequences from the film at this year's Berlin Film Festival and demonstrate the GRANDMASTER fashion without holding anything back.

After Wai Jai's dark clothes and white straw hat Ip Man look in THE GRANDMASTER was exposed, people proclaimed the birth of a Chinese super hero and a new icon of a dark warrior. Immediately it became the target of imitation in the business. Because Wai Jai's dark warrior in the rain look did not clearly show his face, this time the film company will display Wai Jai's heroic look fully in Berlin. Wai Jai's unique Ip Man look swept across Europe and America and started a GRANDMASTERS fever. Even European and American distributors would spare no expense on promoting this Wong Kar Wai kung fu epic at this year's Berlin Film Festival film market. They would attract buyers with Leung Chiu Wai and Zhang Ziyi's action sequences. Conceivably after Wai Jai and Zhang Ziyi, other key characters' unique looks in the film would gradually be revealed.

1NuBR.jpg

KbbJj.jpg

mViJF.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
po7Sm.png

- Tomie Unlimited - dir. Noboru Iguchi - Trailer -​
Tsukiko, who belongs to a photography club at high school, always feel inferior to her sister, Tomie. Tomie is very beautiful and popular with male students. But one day, Tomie is die in an awful accident right under Tsukiko’s nose. Since then, Tsukiko suffers from a nightmare every night. One year pass, on dead Tomie’s 18th birthday, someone knocks the door of Tsukiko’s house. Unbelievably, it is Tomie. She’s back. The father and the mother blindly welcome Tomie but only Tsukiko feels instinct fear. Tomie gradually reveals her true face only when she is with Tsukiko. Tsukiko’s nightmare becomes true… and horrible days begin.

ULhjS.png

- Buddha Mountain - dir. Yu Li - Trailer -​
A seasoned female singer and young trio share a house together, and through their interaction, the film depicts the meaning of love. Brilliantly directed by fusing an adolescent film of carefree youth, and a human drama about a soul-searching singer touched by tragedy. Sylvia Chang's poised and deep performance is a must-see, and young stars Chen Po Lin, and Fan Bingbing are superb.

CiSTM

Banned
New/old pics from Peter Chan's Wu Xia. Summer 2011 release is planned and it's probably going to be biggest martial arts / Wuxia flick of the year or at least second biggest behind The Grandmaster.

Gwpqn.jpg

vkqXI.jpg

aJ2iL.jpg

UnBIq.jpg

SRRe5.jpg

2B1GY.jpg

EiK0T.jpg

Y4ZWC.jpg

meppi

CiSTM said:
Tsukiko, who belongs to a photography club at high school, always feel inferior to her sister, Tomie. Tomie is very beautiful and popular with male students. But one day, Tomie is die in an awful accident right under Tsukiko’s nose. Since then, Tsukiko suffers from a nightmare every night. One year pass, on dead Tomie’s 18th birthday, someone knocks the door of Tsukiko’s house. Unbelievably, it is Tomie. She’s back. The father and the mother blindly welcome Tomie but only Tsukiko feels instinct fear. Tomie gradually reveals her true face only when she is with Tsukiko. Tsukiko’s nightmare becomes true… and horrible days begin.
That sounds like it comes straight from the imported DVD case. ;)

The M.O.B

On average, how long does it take for these movies to come from theaters to DVD? and do they usually have English subtitles or no?

I'm looking forward to so many of these.

GreatWorld%20poster.jpg

IT'S A GREAT GREAT WORLD is set in Singapore's legendary amusement park - Great World, which was also affectionately known in Hokkien as Tua Seh Kai or . Spanning the 1940s to the present day, the film tells the stories of a multitude of characters who lived, worked, played, sang, danced and fell in love in Great World.

Featuring an ensemble of MediaCorp artistes, the family comedy will star Joanne Peh, Yvonne Lim, Chew Chor Meng, Xiang Yun, Huang Wenyong, Zhang Zhen Huan, Zhang Yao Dong, Ng Hui, Paige Chua, Ben Yeo, Kym Ng, Bryan Wong, Chen Shucheng, Gurmit Singh, Zheng Geping, Apple Hong, Guo Liang and Dennis Chew. Familiar comedy names, such as Henry Thia and Marcus Chin, as well as artistes from Hong Kong and Taiwan will also be appearing in It’s A Great Great World.

Singapore movie for the Chinese new year.
Have a lot of different dialect and i love the last story part about the wedding in the Chinese restaurant while the japs are bombing singapore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-kn8feqDo4

I thought I should mention I ended up seeing Norwegian Wood last week. I came out very disappointed. It is a very unremarkable film. I haven't read the book, but I am sure that it expands more on the characters and doesn't rush through things as the film does. It is a standard drama about people being frustrated with their sex lives, waiting for people who they can't be with. (sexuality is one of the main themes, but trust me its a lousy relationship drama).

The plot gradually introduces an interesting conflict concerning the lead character and these two women he is interested in. However before it expands to something more, it ends abruptly and the story takes a nose dive. I question the the use of some characters and scenes as they had little value to the overall story. I would say they were poorly added and could been better if expanded on or excluded. They might be relevant and contribute to the understanding of the characters more, but it didn't make any difference in this film as it could been portrayed better.

Nobody is missing out on anything by not watching it. It is not a very bad film, but it doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before. The music score is solid and blend well with the beautiful sceneries of the film. However some of the music used in the dramatic scenes were a bit too intense and loud as you thought it would belong to some horror flick. It didn't help that you didn't relate to or feel sorry for the characters during scenes.

In the end a film with good music, won't make up for a boring cast of characters with a rushed ending.

I am sure people around here could enjoy the film, but if you are someone with a critical eye who is fed up with seeing so many mediocre/average films and want a film to be a memorable experience. This film won't satisfy that need.
I rarely see films. When I do, I expect them to be very good or I feel like I have wasted my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom