• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art-GAF Review of Contested Artwork at US Air Force Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Review this case yourself Art GAF. Was this Cheating? Or did the student do the work.

I want Art GAF to help decide this real world case against an art student, she is in serious trouble so I would like your help please review the case if you think she cheated post why, if you think this case against her is unfair sign the petition to help her.

I posted this here because I remembered this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1050786
"Artist selling Instagram screenshots without permission for up to $100K each"

That guy can get away with stuff like that as an "Artist"

Here is someone in real trouble with the grey area of Art or Copying "Cheating"

Art Community Review of Contested Artwork at the US Air Force Academy
The art community is rallying around Cadet Corinne “Cori” Easter, a Cadet First Class at the US Air Force Academy. Cori is facing allegations that she copied from two paintings in order to create her own painting as part of Fine Arts 464. We have created the petition below and an unbiased presentation of uncontested facts surrounding the allegations. If you are part of the art community, we ask that you first review the material completely and then, if you feel as we do, please add your name to the growing list of artists and art professionals who support Cadet Easter, including Mr. Tadashi Hayakawa who has consulted with “Team Cori” and provided multiple statements in support.

You can personalize your own message by clicking on “Read the Petition” and editing the text within the pop-up window. In the “Art Credentials” section, please add if you have a BFA, MFA, or other art-related credential.

If you have any questions or want to add your own letter on your letterhead to the stack, please contact Cori’s attorney, Russell Shinn.

You can also print the petition and take it to your local gallery for people to sign. If you choose to do so, please return the scanned petition to Mr. Shinn via email as soon as possible. Please share this link with your artist friends, peers, and the community. Your name and contact information will not be used for any other purpose than this petition. No mailing lists, no subscriptions, nothing.

Thank you in advance!

#TeamCori

link
http://www.defendingdefenders.com/team-cori-petition/

I was sent this petition by a family member who is also a cadet at the academy he became close to Cori's family so they asked him to share this, he sent it to me since he grew up knowing I was a painter

I do not have any degree in Fine Arts because health issues did not allow me to complete my education but I found my own little success where it counts

If you are an artist please review the PDF of this case
http://www.defendingdefenders.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Art-Community-Review-final.pdf

During my time in Art School we spent much of it copying as we did creating original work so this is kinda strange for a class but if a class had limits you had to follow those for your grade

My problem with calling Cori's painting cheating is the fact that the assignment was focused on the medium so I would not judge it on content. The teacher already gave it a b+

Also I am not sure you can get a street scene of those elements of Paris any other way if you are painting it in your own style how did you cheat? I might have not followed this same composition though. You already have 2 paintings of the same street done by two different artists it seems. I can see where the teacher is going with her claim but I want to hear more from Art GAF if this is fair to call Cori on cheating.

I was told that Cori is in real trouble here, you could have guessed since this is a US Air Force Academy her future is recked if she loses here. As a painter it would bother me if I did not sign for #TeamCori because this is ART CLASS I think she did the work required.
The Art World is full of successful copiers so yeah it would bother me if Cori gets punished while major artists all over live off blatant printouts.

Help if you can GAF

Update 1: Images

iY60z7A.png

xjVZgrY.png

5NEJJBW.png

UPDATE:
For the Lazy who are not reviewing the PDF
We're missing a lot of the story here since a lot of people aren't reading the PDF. Not that I blame you guys. :p

So, looking at the PDF, it seems like the reason this is being called cheating is that the assignment specifically prohibited using another painting as a reference. You were supposed to use photos which you cited as your sources, and sort of mix and match rather than just copying them.

The student did one painting for the assignment, then after she'd handed it in, did a second copy on a "ruined" canvas to give to her sister. While doing the second copy, she used printouts of those two paintings as a reference, and was caught by the teacher.

The student claims that she only used the printouts as a reference for the second copy of her painting, and only printed them out after handing in her assignment.

The teacher, we are left to assume, found this account less than believable. And likely felt that even if the student didn't have the printouts in front of her to refer to while painting, she had definitely taken the composition from them, which was also prohibited.

I mean, maybe there's even more to the story that we don't see, but given that this account is slanted so heavily towards the student, and that this is what I'm getting out of it even so... it sure seems like the student was cheating according to the standards of that particular class.

This is the Teacher's side of things which is really powerful I think

MisterHero

The composition is similar but misses the details that the other paintings have.

The two "inspiration" paintings demonstrate skill through things like the couples' reflections on the rainy streets.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Traits in common:

Eiffel Tower.
Road.
Red umbrella in two of the three.

Not seeing the plagiarism. Other than the perspective, (and she has some busted perspective going on in hers) nothing's especially similar.

_woLf

There's enough similarities to definitely see that they were just trying to mix those two compositions together instead of coming up with something more unique, but that's still not plagiarism.

That being said, it's not a good painting, either.

i mean all the paintings have similar composition, but I definitely would not go as far to say this is plagiarism. It's different enough from the other two.

i don't think the student should be punished

DrBo42

Absurd that anyone is trying to jam up a student over that. It's definitely similar and perhaps she pulled elements from them but plagiarism? Wat.

thank you for the feedback guys
keep in mind that the PDF has the full story of the process and Cori's thumbnail drawings

http://www.defendingdefenders.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Art-Community-Review-final.pdf

I am worried for this student, I mean you are going off to the Air Force I doubt she wanted to become a professional painter the class could have been a requirement

I have to write a letter I just wanted to share this with Artists on GAF
help if you can keep the feedback coming be as honest as GAF can be :)

If you get a group of artists to sit in a Parisienne street and paint what they see using the same medium, they would all look quite similar. Of course it would - they are painting the same subject matter.

Even if she did paint someone else's painting I don't see that as plagiarism as long as she drew and painted it herself without any guidance, reliance on imaging technology or tracing. I don't think it's fair that because you want to paint a Parisienne street you have to physical travel to Paris.

Put another way:
ruit-wine-bottle-still-life-17513473.jpg

If I ask ten artists to do a realism still life of this, chances are they all would look quite similar.

Wait a second...

I've seen what happened the last time a military cadet/aspiring painter got turned down and rejected by an art class.

I'm signing this petition for the good of future generations.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ms. Aloisa had a poor relationship with Cori. She is taking out her frustrations with this plagiarism case.

That's all I'm seeing from the PDF.

No art credentials here, but it was nice to sign this petition as an Air Force officer and lawyer. For those of you who aren't aware, honor code violations are a huge, huge deal -- and the OP is right, this really could derail her career, as well as have second-order effects like tuition clawbacks, etc.

Jhoan

How is this cheating at all? The accusations are ludicrous. She did her own interpretation on an already famous painting. Artists throughout centuries have ridden on the shoulder of giants doing famous works.

As someone who was an Art major in college (note: not art school), the fundamentals of painting that we were taught was to do an existing painting and/or put our own spin on it in order to experience the original artist's process. I have a few paintings that I copied still hanging in my bed room now.

In fact, last year, the very first painting for my Advanced Painting Class was to look copy a painting that was at the Museum of Modern Art here in NYC. A classmate did the same painting that I did and while they were very similar, the subtle differences and saturation of the color were like day and night.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with copying an artist's work especially if it's to absorb some of the person's style/sense of color and incorporate into one's own style. Exactly like the OP said, art is an industry full of and founded on the idea of copying.

As for the girl's painting itself, I think that while it's definitely not photo realistic as opposed to the original, I think it has a fantastical, surreal mood that recalls paintings from the Post-Impressionism era because of the luminosity of the green, red, and yellow. She put in the time and effort in the studio and that's all there is to it. No harm done.

RT https://twitter.com/NazHz/status/606254578724687872

the school's account https://twitter.com/AF_Academy

Art GAF if you have ever drawned or painted or know what Art is Sign the Petition please

I just found out her mother sent me a thank you, so she might end up seeing this thread

Wait a second...

I've seen what happened the last time a military cadet/aspiring painter got turned down and rejected by an art class.

I'm signing this petition for the good of future generations.

smh can't believe you went there

Yes sign please

Cyan

Banned
We're missing a lot of the story here since a lot of people aren't reading the PDF. Not that I blame you guys. :p

So, looking at the PDF, it seems like the reason this is being called cheating is that the assignment specifically prohibited using another painting as a reference. You were supposed to use photos which you cited as your sources, and sort of mix and match rather than just copying them.

The student did one painting for the assignment, then after she'd handed it in, did a second copy on a "ruined" canvas to give to her sister. While doing the second copy, she used printouts of those two paintings as a reference, and was caught by the teacher.

The student claims that she only used the printouts as a reference for the second copy of her painting, and only printed them out after handing in her assignment.

The teacher, we are left to assume, found this account less than believable. And likely felt that even if the student didn't have the printouts in front of her to refer to while painting, she had definitely taken the composition from them, which was also prohibited.

I mean, maybe there's even more to the story that we don't see, but given that this account is slanted so heavily towards the student, and that this is what I'm getting out of it even so... it sure seems like the student was cheating according to the standards of that particular class.

can I borrow this point of view for the OP?

I want a fair review of what we can find in the PDF
If I just wanted to have people sign I would have made a petition thread title

you make a fair case here I saw as I read what the teacher could be looking at
she had all her photos in the PDF but we can't really know if she always had those

Against the class rules = cheating she could lose this case easily the petition will not really help that if the class rules were clear cut as that

RyanDG

This is kind of where I'm hung up at... All of the documented photographic evidence that the student used was one thing, but even then, a lot of the photographic references were detail based. Which is fine... But the composition itself shares more than a passing similarity to the two images of professional work that was posted. So much so that I find it hard to believe that the two professional pieces were not referenced (if not even unconsciously) for the work that was for the class. This leads into a bit of a conundrum though... Is the composition of the piece unique enough that it wouldn't lead multiple artists to a similar work if it wasn't referenced?

And here is the rub for me... Though the composition isn't 'unique' in the sense that it isn't beyond the realm of reasonable doubt that the compositions could be developed independently... The fact that professional work was used later for another work and that the professional work was found as part of the reference material in the possession of the artist, I think that the similarities in the composition may be too close then to argue for pure chance.

With all of that being said, living with an artist, I've learned to begin to appreciate a lot of the nuance in terms of what is and what isn't acceptable in appropriation and misuse of material. If this assignment was not defined as narrowly as it was, I don't believe that there would be an issue with this work. But since the assignment was provided with an explicit set of instructions (regardless of how 'fair' they may be), I believe that the student did break the instructions provided.

Hopefully the seriousness of the situation isn't too bad, but I would liken this as being similar to writing an essay about a topic that you got inspired by through reading another essay. And instead of simply using it as a jumping off point, you elect to follow the broad strokes of the essay and then using other references to make similar claims.

Zaptruder

Banned
Double tap this girl. Cheating on the assignment and trying to take the issue public while framing it like she's been unfairly accused. No mercy!

Seriously though... not the kind of thing that requires public attention or mediation. God knows the public is more apt to just fuck everything up without comprehending the full extent of the issue - disproportionately public shaming the hell out one group or the other or even both (if it blows up).

terrisus

We have created the petition below and an unbiased presentation of uncontested facts surrounding the allegations. If you are part of the art community, we ask that you first review the material completely and then, if you feel as we do, please add your name to the growing list of artists and art professionals who support Cadet Easter, including Mr. Tadashi Hayakawa who has consulted with “Team Cori” and provided multiple statements in support.

"We have prepared an unbiased presentation of uncontested facts. We're now going to inject bias into the rest of this paragraph. Did we mention that signing this petition saves the whales?"

Double tap this girl. Cheating on the assignment and trying to take the issue public while framing it like she's been unfairly accused. No mercy!

Seriously though... not the kind of thing that requires public attention or mediation. God knows the public is more apt to just fuck everything up without comprehending the full extent of the issue - disproportionately public shaming the hell out one group or the other or even both (if it blows up).

heh another excellent point to consider
this was their call to put up a petition but yeah social media can turn on you

I still feel really bad for this girl, this is a case for avoiding taking Art Classes

The news is this ends ends :(

This is the Air Force.

It'd be "Fox one this girl", not Double tap.

"We have prepared an unbiased presentation of uncontested facts. We're now going to inject bias into the rest of this paragraph. Did we mention that signing this petition saves the whales?"

Lawyer speak works, I would want that guy on my side if I were in trouble with the Air Force

How is this cheating at all? The accusations are ludicrous. She did her own interpretation on an already famous painting. Artists throughout centuries have ridden on the shoulder of giants doing famous works.

As someone who was an Art major in college (note: not art school), the fundamentals of painting that we were taught was to do an existing painting and/or put our own spin on it in order to experience the original artist's process. I have a few paintings that I copied still hanging in my bed room now.

In fact, last year, the very first painting for my Advanced Painting Class was to look copy a painting that was at the Museum of Modern Art here in NYC. A classmate did the same painting that I did and while they were very similar, the subtle differences and saturation of the color were like day and night.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with copying an artist's work especially if it's to absorb some of the person's style/sense of color and incorporate into one's own style. Exactly like the OP said, art is an industry full of and founded on the idea of copying.

As for the girl's painting itself, I think that while it's definitely not photo realistic as opposed to the original, I think it has a fantastical, surreal mood that recalls paintings from the Post-Impressionism era because of the luminosity of the green, red, and yellow. She put in the time and effort in the studio and that's all there is to it. No harm done.

agreed on the bolded. if anything I personally like the girl's painting more than the other two professional ones which while technically impressive lack a bit of soul seeing as so many other artist of all levels have painted that exact same scene for years and years.

I don't understand, she finished the assignment and was graded. she told the professor that it was for her sister. the teacher is just being a petty prick. typical of the Chair Force. bunch of nutbags.

I had to look up what JAG was I only remembered the show
the lawyer in this case replied to my tweet with a thank you

no updates only 35 signed

will update again when I know if this helped

If the assignment was to not use any paintings as reference, then she cheated, there are clear similarities between one of the paintings.

Also the part of her trying to make a public outrage for being caught, and keeping important details out, is beyond silly, she should face some consequences for this, and used as an example of what not to do, when caught red handed.

The assignment was clear cut. She could easily have used the real photo, which probably exists, instead of the two paintings as reference, but seemingly chose to mix between the two paintings that's incredibly odd, why would any one do that?

She needs to make a public apology, I think.

3EHXJ7K.jpg

Sorry for terrible circles

Would be nice to see what her actual photo reference is though, could still be quite foggy, as to the actual extent of her cheating.

EDIT: oh this thing is a few days old, probably already ended, hasn't it?

The composition is nearly identical to the other paintings, that's not a nice thing to do when you're specifically asked not to copy anyone's composition!

That said i hope she wasn't, i don't know, shot and killed or whatever it is they do to failing students in the military.

maomaoIYP

I can't possibly be the only one who wants to know why a cadet in military school is required to take fine art, can I?

The rules of the assignment seem to require only from your own sources (the students own photos) to base your painting off of. Did she take photos of that scene to use as her sources? If not, that is going against the rules. If she was caught using printouts of those paintings that have a great resemblance to her own work, that is definitely going against the rules. It doesn't matter if her painting isnt a complete copy of those other paintings, it is still going against those clear-cut rules. It seems very likely that she did use other peoples paintings to go by.

I don't know why this should be debated. Would you defend someone who was caught using a calculator while taking a math test in which calculators were not allowed? If her original photo doesn't look much like her painting, then it would be pretty obvious that she is not in the right.

Gattsu25

Banned
If the assignment was to not use any paintings as reference, then she cheated, there are clear similarities between one of the paintings.

Also the part of her trying to make a public outrage for being caught, and keeping important details out, is beyond silly, she should face some consequences for this, and used as an example of what not to do, when caught red handed.

The assignment was clear cut. She could easily have used the real photo, which probably exists, instead of the two paintings as reference, but seemingly chose to mix between the two paintings that's incredibly odd, why would any one do that?

She needs to make a public apology, I think.

3EHXJ7K.jpg

Sorry for terrible circles

Would be nice to see what her actual photo reference is though, could still be quite foggy, as to the actual extent of her cheating.

EDIT: oh this thing is a few days old, probably already ended, hasn't it?

Nah, you're fine.

I agree with your general point, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom