• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update 3:

Game is now delisted in dozens of countries

They've also opened up blanket refunds for the game for anyone whose played more than their 2 hour limitation.

Full list of countries where the game can no longer be bought under the quotes:

177 countries:

Update 2:

Arrowhead Studios is in talks with Sony

Update: Nearly 90k negatives now, game is now officialy 'Mixed on Steam with Mostly Negative Reviews'

GMt3GdaWsAAejuu

we-have-officially-hit-mixed-for-all-time-reviews-meaning-v0-l3qkx25bvcyc1.jpeg

Helldivers 2 received over 14,000 negative reviews today due to an update that will require PSN accounts next week afterr the announcement the game will require a PSN Account moving on starting May 31. As a result, the game is now with `Mixed`mostly recent reviews on Steam

GMqmM2PWQAIJkw0

PonIt8d.png

Due to the fiasco, Arrowhead Studios Developer Twinbeard went on the official Helldivers 2 Discord server to confirm the decision was made by Sony:

hk46gf82r7yc1.jpeg

Arrowhead Studios CEO says the negative reviews are warranted:
Ouch, right in the review score Well, I guess it's warranted. Sorry everyone for how this all transpired. I hope we will make it up and regain the trust by providing a continued great game experience.I just want to make great games!

VY26eb0.jpeg

Last edited:

graywolf323

So...why is this such a big deal? Literally takes like 1 to 3 minutes depending on if you have a psn account already or not. Can only add future benefits I imagine also.

Is this people just crying just for the sake of crying?

Legitly asking.
they aren’t even requiring a separate launcher which is what usually gets on PC gamers nerves (rightfully so I think, those things cause all sorts of mess with playing on the Steam Deck)

this is just a mountain out of a molehill and it’s no coincidence a lot of the people pushing it are known Xbox fanboys (Colt Eastwood is raising a stink on Twitter)

So...why is this such a big deal? Literally takes like 1 to 3 minutes depending on if you have a psn account already or not. Can only add future benefits I imagine also.

Legitly asking.

I mean I won't play some games because of it, but the whining? Yeah, that's just something PC gamers love to do.

Sony is betting the game is big enough to weather the storm here. They want these users on PSN because they know they're prepping the PC Storefront and the more people who are already registered to use it, the better.

rm082e

Legitly asking.

PC gamers have been really intense about not wanting to have secondary logins required to play games for years now. Most people want to buy games from Steam specifically and not have to sign into any other services.

Some will go on a rant about security - don't make me risk getting my email on some dark web list for no reason.

Some will complain about that secondary service having issues that block them from playing the game. They're not wrong there, but it's rarely an issue.

It's more like "I will never give you more money for things beyond what I buy on Steam, so there's no value to this. Because there's no value to me, it's just an extra hassle." If the publisher makes logging into their account optional, it's usually no big deal. When it's required, people rail against it.

Topher

Gold Member
Of course it was, since before launch.

My son and I play on this on PC sometimes. Just fired up the game and it didn't ask me for any login. Asked my son and he reminded me that we linked our accounts to PSN when we first started the game when it came out. So it was disabled at one point and now re-enabled.

The people who bought the game after it was disabled now have to login. And they are upset.

That's the gist of it I guess?

AmuroChan

Legitly asking.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal either. I know the issue with certain countries not supporting PSN accounts natively, but those countries also have plenty of PlayStation players who simply just create a PSN account for a nearby region. The amount of time spent on writing the negative review you could've already created a PSN account.

Mr Moose

My son and I play on this on PC sometimes. Just fired up the game and it didn't ask me for any login. Asked my son and he reminded me that we linked our accounts to PSN when we first started the game when it came out. So it was disabled at one point and now re-enabled.

The people who bought the game after it was disabled now have to login. And they are upset.

That's the gist of it I guess?
Yeah, the title is just a bit weird. Of course it was Sony requiring a PSN account, who else would it be.

feynoob

I mean I won't play some games because of it, but the whining? Yeah, that's just something PC gamers love to do.

Sony is betting the game is big enough to weather the storm here. They want these users on PSN because they know they're prepping the PC Storefront and the more people who are already registered to use it, the better.
Issue is PSN doesnt work on some regions. This would break the game, since you need parties to do content or stuck with AI.

The crackheads at the Sony HQ didnt think that through very well.

Well I don't mind this personally, it will be the future as they start to chance the MAU numbers. Sea of theives on the PS is the same playstation dudes will count twords Microsofts MAUs to please shareholders. If this game does ever come to xbox then you would need a PS account then no doubt.

blue velvet

This has been the problem with Sony, once they get their success, they start being cocky. They're just so lucky their competitor is incompetent.
The PC users will not trust their future GAAS games after this, ya fuck around and find out. I feel bad for the dev, honestly.

Issue is PSN doesnt work on some regions. This would break the game, since you need parties to do content or stuck with AI.

The crackheads at the Sony HQ didnt think that through very well.

I'm sure they were aware. It's probably less than 1% of the player population...

Sentenza

On one hand it's almost heartwarming to see people stand up to things in this industry, rather than just bending over and take it every time.
On the other hand, it's not clear why it seems to happen almost systematically for completely inconsequential bullshit like this.

It's just a one-time linking with a fucking account. They aren't asking people to download a different client or to start playing the game on an entirely different service.

Last edited:
On one hand it's almost heartwarming to see people stand up to things in this industry, rather than just bending over and take it every time.
On the other hand, it's not clear why it seems to happen almost systematically for completely inconsequential bullshit like this.
Anyone complaining about this who has ever purchased a loot box or other predatory DLC should have all their gaming accounts immediately deleted.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Really shouldn’t matter.

Plus, it’ll likely add trophy support for PC players this way, right?

Oh well. Not like they’ll stop playing. It just hurts the game and developer they love lol.

Top Bottom