• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the Game Awards bought or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
Now I know this might be a heavy accusation, and in this case I just want to keep it as a 'what if' situation.

Nobody will ever know the truth behind it anway, but let's not forget that the shows are filled with sponsors and ads, so in same cases it is bought and paid for.

But my real question, is how much are the nominees etc bought for? Is such a thing even possible? Is it legal? Or is it not legal?

Perhaps we can have a conversation about this hypothetical situation.

Personally I do think that some money might come Geoff's (or whoever nominates) way

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Nominees are decided by over 120 different global media outlets. Not by The Game Awards themselves or Geoff.

I'd say the odds of The Game Awards being bought are 0 or as close to it as you can get. Can you imagine the fallout if this were the case and they were caught? It's just not worth the risk, to anyone, as much as some crazies around the internet like to try to convince everyone it's happening.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The same game awards where $2 trillion company Microsoft's biggest product is in one category it has no hope of winning?

No, they're not bought.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"I'll answer your question in just a minute MMaRsu MMaRsu . First let's just briefly check in with the Rock and get a sneak peak at his new and exciting energy drink."

[... smell what he's cooking ... smell it.]

"Alright and we're back! I'm told by our panel of judges off screen that the answer to that question was "no." Congratulations to noooooo. Now don't touch that dial as we have a brand new exclussssssssive reveal coming at you from the only man that I allow to sleep in my bedroom when he's in town, the one and only Hideo Kojima!"

Everyone was saying the last couple of days that it’s a PR thing.

Personally I think they must be pretty legit. It Takes Two won recently and BG3 will clean house this year.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

doritos-12-08-17-1.png

709.png

No I don't think it's bought, but it is painful to watch about 95% of it.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

nah, games media are just idiots and they are the ones mostly making the votes/decisions.

Geoff does the best he can with who he has to work with.

MMaRsu

Banned
nah

What game are you missing?

Dave the Diver is from Nexon, South Korea largest publisher. It's nominated for Best Indie game.

Cyberpunk is a single player game that received patches and one big DLC. It's nominated for "Best ongoing game"

F-1R7GBXUAA9IZi

Now I read that 120 outlets get to decide the nominees.

These outlets don't know what an indie really is? Or an ongoing game?

No, but who cares even if it was? It's just one show. Use this and be happy, i'm sure whatever games you prefer will win somewhere:

I honestly do not care who wins anything.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Know how else I know they're voted for by the industry and not bought?

Because fucking Stray won best indie over literally a dozen better indie games including Vampire Survivors.

All because games developers are cat people. I mean, I am too, but seriously.

MAX PAYMENT

No, but I think reviews are.
If you dont review a game high enough, you lose early review access from companies.
You lose early review access, you lose traffic.
You lose traffic, you lose money.

AV

These outlets don't know what an indie really is?

Nobody's taken indie literally for well over a decade. It means about as much as indie rock music did in the early 2000s. Indie is just "cheaper games made by a smaller team".

MMaRsu

Banned
Nobody's taken indie literally for well over a decade. It means about as much as indie rock music did in the early 2000s. Indie is just "cheaper games made by a smaller team".

The catagory literally says"For outstanding creative and technical achievement in a game made outside the traditional publisher system"

This isn't becuase of Starfield right?
Not at all

AV

The catagory literally says"For outstanding creative and technical achievement in a game made outside the traditional publisher system"

Not at all

Dave the Diver IS self published. It's just that Nexon has a lot of money.

I agree that it's a silly definition but it fits.

No, but who cares even if it was? It's just one show. Use this and be happy, i'm sure whatever games you prefer will win somewhere:

Oh cool, I thought this site died years ago. So Elden Ring became the most awarded game ever? Interesting.

Fair to say 2023 is way too loaded for anything to break records.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There's a platform bias simply because Xbox is not as popular as the other two.
No. Both Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 were GOTY nominees in 2021.

If Xbox makes good games, those will get nominated. Of course games like Starfield, Forza, and Redfall aren't going to be nominated amidst such heavy competition.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Oh cool, I thought this site died years ago. So Elden Ring became the most awarded game ever? Interesting.

Fair to say 2023 is way too loaded for anything to break records.
Elden Ring violated God of War and absolutely destroyed the others. 100% not gonna happen this year. I think BG and Zelda will both land in the 25-30% range, but many others will also have solid numbers.

blacktout

Seems like an odd year to have this conversation, given how closely the nominees correlate with critical and popular reception.

There really isn't even one "shock" nominee or glaring ommission this time around. Like, I guess you could argue for FFXVI or Starfield or SFVI instead of Alan Wake and/or RE4, but given how many games there were with roughly equal arguments for the final two slots, I just can't see how anyone could argue in good faith that something fishy is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom