• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are characters personalities and original writing being replaced by unified political views? Is escapism dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
(Warning: PLEASE BEHAVE! this is not a homophobic or racist thread. It's not about that but effects of forced politics on our games)
Last post on this by Vick Vick (sweet baby inc thread) was locked due to some craziness but I want us to have good place to discuss this or at least highlight which games are secretly doing this.
I think this is very important topic and very worrying what is happening to our games. We are being used and manipulated and we are paying for it!
Is escapism dying?

Is the vision and originality of gaming storytelling and personalities of characters being destroyed? There are thankfully still Elden Rings and Death Strandings but for how long? How long is THE AUTHEUR going to have his say?

Studios are looking for writing help. It might be overall story or just side plots/characters but they turn out to outsourcing. And that outsourcing (in this example sweetbabyinc) goal is not to enrich the story and make the game better.
Their Goal is to secretly input their agenda and world views into games. And this is very dangerous to quality of games and frankly, to you, the player. Unknowingly, your world view stops being your own.
The game stops being escapism and fantasy story but a vessel for politically driven agendas. Your favorite characters are used and manipulated to do this.
Gaming is my fav thing ever and this is personally very worrying.
Now, Alan Wake 2 (despite my criticism) is an ok game. I was having an overall good time with it but as I've realized, by the last few hours of the game and even after finishing it - I was bamboozled. I was used. I felt cheated. "It's not the original story I wanted from sequel to one of my fav games and my long awaited sequel was used to change my views".
It took me some time but once you realize that. Once you notice what is going on, you see how easy it is to sneak these things near you. Even in a relatively good game, these are political agendas of other people.

These writer people HAVE ALL THE RIGHT to their views but I didn't consent to be a receiving end of their exclusive views. Not in video games.
It feels sickening to me personally that I pay 60-70$ or a game only to realize that for the past 20 hours I was being brainwashed. Maybe that's overexaggerating but t's happening little by little.

Obviously it doesn't matter at all what race Saga Anderson from Alan Wake 2 is. But what matters is her role in the story and that she is a Mary sue because of what race and sex she is. It is disgusting how manipulative an sexist it is once you think about it.
Or gow ragnarok. I was partially fine with Atreus parts although they really had to turn him into this naively goody two shoes. But who is looking forward to replaying the game with all the Angrboda and atreus secitons? I bet you 100% that Kratos and God of war franchise are parting ways to make room for this.
What about ratchet? He lost all the edge. It didn't use to be like this.
Hogwarts Legacy is a weird one. I don't know is SBI helped because that crowd hates this game but it is very inclusive game which in my opinion does not ruin it. It doesn't get in a way of the game.
And there are ton of examples (I didn't play spider man 2) but the point is not to shit on your fav games but to show that it is in a ton of games. Small bits here and there manipulating you.
And by the end of this process or maybe even now, you are ok with all of this. But is this truly your world view? Or is this a world view implanted in your mind? (Alex Jones signs out!)

(Lol I know it's way overdramatic but I had a good flow writing this. I am honestly a bit worried. Of course the post sounds a bit hyperbolic but there is something afoot)

Last edited:
the only thing worse than ideology is homogeneity. unfortunately, it's the latter that sweet baby brings to the former. thanks to them, you're not just getting various ideological perspectives from various games, you're getting identical perspectives. it is, indeed, unprecedented, totally unnecessary, &, considering the studios are actually paying for it, weird as hell...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the only thing worse than ideology is homogeneity. unfortunately, it's the latter that sweet baby brings to the former. thanks to them, you're not just getting various ideological perspectives from various games, you're getting identical perspectives. it is, indeed, unprecedented, totally unnecessary, &, considering the studios are actually paying for it, weird as hell...
ooohhh that's very well said. I should've hired you to write my 1st post :D
Kojima was great with MGS because he Stepped out and looked at world at the time from outside perspective.
The goal of these companies is to create universal view, that will not offend anyone and be homogenic enough that the "premanipulated crowd" will eat it up. No originality and individuality.

Vick

It is.

But hopefully we'll get more and more Teyon-like devs to provide that necessary breath of fresh air in between the major "artistically compromised" releases.

One of the biggest pros of "automated" graphical advancements like RT or UE5 lies exactly in this for me, the granted ability for free and truly independent artists to deliver great presentations in a relatively cheap, quick and accessible manner.

Yes, in the mainstream.

Look at how comedy podcasts are popping off compared to things like SNL. The West is going through a cultural revolution but, unlike that which happened in China, we are allowed to express ourselves against it.

The flip side of this is that ours has lasted for twice as long as the Chinese Cultural Revolution did - so far. So whether it ever ends, I dont know. If it doesnt then it will be our destruction.

Last edited:

kyussman

I mean,I don't think this is up for debate,lol.........."current day thing" is all over modern american media,why the fuck were there Ukrainian flags in Spider-Man 2........that was just a not so subtle prop but the writing is the same,current day shoehorned into everything.......it's fucking boring.I vote with my wallet anyway,won't support this nonsense in games or movies.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Well, as you admit, you're being hyperbolic, but there is some truth to your concerns. I do see some of what you are talking about, particularly in the AAA mainstream space. It's unfortunate, but every generation has its tropes, and it seems that identity politics is one of ours. Hopefully, it will run its course and fade away, or else writers will find a way to insert diverse characters/perspectives more naturally, instead of forcing it, and creating compelling rather than boringly predictable "diverse" characters.

It's not happening industry-wide, just to a some high-profile games. It does spoil those games for me, sometimes to the extent that I simply avoid the game entirely.

The only bit I disagree with it that you are being propagandized against your will. You bought the game, and you don't have to buy it. You also continued to play the game, while the red flags were there. So it's hard for me to sympathize with the idea that you're being brainwashed unconsciously, against your will. You can educate yourself in advance about these games. Don't buy anything at release. Wait until you can check out reviews from people you trust, to make sure it's clean of the political messaging you find obnoxious. That way, you just won't be exposed to it.

I agree that it ruins the escapist element. When I encounter it, it immediately pulls me out of the game and makes me think about the writers' agenda. That's not what I want to be thinking about when playing a game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean,I don't think this is up for debate,lol.........."current day thing" is all over modern american media,why the fuck were their Ukrainian flags in Spider-Man 2........that was just a not so subtle prop but the writing is the same,current day shoehorned into everything.......it's fucking boring.I vote with my wallet anyway,won't support this nonsense in games or movies.
Exactly. You don't see blm or ukraine flags in Dark Souls or Elden Ring. Nothing like that to pull you out. Those games are so good because they are FULLY unique experiences with their own individuality. (and amazing games obviously).

It is.

But hopefully we'll get more and more Teyon-like devs to provide that necessary breath of fresh air in between the major "artistically compromised" releases.

One of the biggest pros of "automated" graphical advancements like RT or UE5 lies exactly in this for me, the granted ability for free and truly independent artists to deliver great presentations in a relatively cheap, quick and accessible manner.
mmm I gotta get Robocop! Poland is not very inclusive. We are a bunch of assholes over here so it explains a lot!
As for engines unification - It is good and bad thing. I like that it should be easier to achieve better graphics but I love/loved seeing custom engines and solutions. When You play Dead Rising1, that clunky engine is part of it's charm.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well, as you admit, you're being hyperbolic, but there is some truth to your concerns. I do see some of what you are talking about, particularly in the AAA mainstream space. It's unfortunate, but every generation has its tropes, and it seems that identity politics is one of ours. Hopefully, it will run its course and fade away, or else writers will find a way to insert diverse characters/perspectives more naturally, instead of forcing it, and creating compelling rather than boringly predictable "diverse" characters.

It's not happening industry-wide, just to a some high-profile games. It does spoil those games for me, sometimes to the extent that I simply avoid the game entirely.

The only bit I disagree with it that you are being propagandized against your will. You bought the game, and you don't have to buy it. You also continued to play the game, while the red flags were there. So it's hard for me to sympathize with the idea that you're being brainwashed unconsciously, against your will. You can educate yourself in advance about these games. Don't buy anything at release. Wait until you can check out reviews from people you trust, to make sure it's clean of the political messaging you find obnoxious. That way, you just won't be exposed to it.

I agree that it ruins the escapist element. When I encounter it, it immediately pulls me out of the game and makes me think about the writers' agenda. That's not what I want to be thinking about when playing a game.
As for the part you disagree with - I've bought the game because I was hyped for it. You can't trust reviews to outline these issues.
And by the time I notice something is not right, I still want to finish the damn game I put 20 hours into, even if it makes me feel like a tool. So maybe it doesn't work for me because I am aware but it clearly works for most people. For me, it just retroactively ruins the game or at least lowers it's score.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Studios are looking for writing help.

Your starting premise is wrong. Well, technically it’s right.

They don’t need help to write good stories.

They need help from companies like Sweet Baby Inc to game their ESG scores and attract investment from companies like BlackRock.

That’s all it is.

Fuck the companies that employ them, or enjoy your terribly written shoe horned shite.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Studios are looking for writing help.

Your starting premise is wrong. Well, technically it’s right.

They don’t need help to write good stories.

They need help from companies like Sweet Baby Inc to game their ESG scores and attract investment from companies like BlackRock.

That’s all it is.

Fuck the companies that employ them, or enjoy your terribly written shoe horned shite.
Couldn't agree more. well said.
edit: if the game has to meet ESG score, this means you HAVE to change and HAVE to add stuff that wouldn't need to be there otherwise. It's terrible.

Last edited:
I think it goes the same as Disney and the current state of Marvel Movies. In the end, it is a good product or it will be bad, and in gaming, this will kill companies if they do it badly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
90% of the games I play are Japanese games so to me "escapism" hasn't died yet.......THANK GOD for Japanese games.

It wasnt for them I would have quit gaming long time ago.
Dude, playing FF 7 remake opened my eyes so much. It was such a breath of fresh air. Wait... so I can have great story, great combat and ladies with anti political body proportions(who are amazing characters)?!
so good. need to replay

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Don't worry, jp games are also after that sweet Blackrock juice
fucking hell. Is Rebirth in danger?!
FF16 didn't seem too badly affected. The character that was gay was just gay. He didn't exist to be gay. It was accidental to who he is and his role in the story, so it was good.

XXL

It also lets you kill anyone who challenge those views if you don't feel like self-reflecting.

Goodbye Lae'zel
Honestly, Lae'zel is one of the most interesting characters I've ever experienced, it was a slow burn that just kept getting more fascinating.

Humdinger

As for the part you disagree with - I've bought the game because I was hyped for it. You can't trust reviews to outline these issues.
And by the time I notice something is not right, I still want to finish the damn game I put 20 hours into, even if it makes me feel like a tool. So maybe it doesn't work for me because I am aware but it clearly works for most people. For me, it just retroactively ruins the game or at least lowers it's score.

I understand what you mean about mainstream gaming journalists not alerting you to this stuff -- they won't. But I've come across some Youtube content creators who will let you know about these issues. Synthetic Man and Griffin Gaming are two examples, but I'm sure there are more. If anything, those guys go overboard in noticing and reacting to the insertion of "woke" messages in games. But they'll alert you to it.

Guilty_AI

fucking hell. Is Rebirth in danger?!
FF16 didn't seem too badly affected. The character that was gay was just gay. He didn't exist to be gay. It was accidental to who he is and his role in the story, so it was good.
Not sure how rebirth will turn out, but many jp game companies like Capcom, Nintendo or SE themselves are already showing interest in increasing ESG scores.

Last edited:
Kojima was great with MGS because he Stepped out and looked at world at the time from outside perspective.
The goal of these companies is to create universal view, that will not offend anyone and be homogenic enough that the "premanipulated crowd" will eat it up. No originality and individuality.
thanks!...

the thing is, if an individual game scriptwriter wants to toss in this or that 'woke' element, i can go with that - i'm very likely not gonna think much of it, but, y'know, he's the writer, & he chose to go there, so, whatever. live with it. but this isn't that. this is fundamentally taking an existing story concept, & running it through this sorta master 'woke template', resulting in a completely homogeneous form of box-checking 'woke' saturation of the end product. i mean, imagine playing 2 or 3 different new games that, coincidentally enough, each featured characters/storylines espousing any other ideology, &, not only that, but in very similar ways. it'd just be weird, right?...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_ideologies

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
homogeneity
6itx84.jpg

This is why Uncharted especially the original trilogy is so great. Written by a woman, who writes characters like a normal person. No agendas, no random sexual encounters or references that are out of place.

Just good vs evil, treasure and some cool history references.

CoD: Infinite Warfare is also a prime example of how to properly make a game that offends no one. Every character in that game is great. Black, White, Asian, I love them all which doesn't happen often especially in games.

A lot of this horse sit started with Battlefield V, Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus, CoD WW2, and then leaked into games such as The Last of Us 2 and even Spiderman with the Miles Morales DLC (Miles was great in Spiderman 1 because he was like everyone else) where they had to give him some real representation and make him Puerto Rican with flags in his room and forced Spanish dialogue, and now with Spiderman 2 where they have his black hair showing for some retarded reason.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I understand what you mean about mainstream gaming journalists not alerting you to this stuff -- they won't. But I've come across some Youtube content creators who will let you know about these issues. Synthetic Man and Griffin Gaming are two examples, but I'm sure there are more. If anything, those guys go overboard in noticing and reacting to the insertion of "woke" messages in games. But they'll alert you to it.
Synthetic man is too extremist for me. He is the opposite part of the spectrum. I feel he is contrary just because this is what his channel is. Even when there is no need to be

Vick

The only bit I disagree with it that you are being propagandized against your will. You bought the game, and you don't have to buy it. You also continued to play the game, while the red flags were there.
Not sure I can agree with this.

Sometimes it's done in such a malicious and blatantly misleading way you have no means to realize until it's too late.
It's the case with sequels of even relatively recent titles for instance and it's worse when it's done in that subtle and insidious way it makes it hard to rationally point the finger at what's specifically compromised. It just ruins the integrity of the piece of art in an almost subliminal way because of what you said:

"When i encounter it, it immediately pulls me out of the game and makes me think about the writers' agenda. That's not what I wanto to be thinking about when playing a game."

mmm I gotta get Robocop! Poland is not very inclusive. We are a bunch of assholes over here so it explains a lot!
When it comes to the topic discussed here, RoboCop and Terminator: Resistance were just:

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

There were some instances in Rogue City where you go "Oh, of fucking course they did this..", but then the game is always like "Nah, just kidding".

As for engines unification - It is good and bad thing. I like that it should be easier to achieve better graphics but I love/loved seeing custom engines and solutions. When You play Dead Rising1, that clunky engine is part of it's charm.
Eh, I'd take it over what you would usually get from ambitious AA games of the past. Nothing stops them from chasing more unique art styles I think.

ungalo

There is definitely a proactive and political tendency to standardize everything to make it acceptable for what is deemed to be the only possible way of thinking in nowadays society, that's the political correctness part (and the possibility of radical thoughts in the artistic field is always one sided).

But in a more global and diffused way it's also the particular spirit of an era that you may or may not like. Having mainstream and dominant ideologies/philosophical or existential obsessions/worldviews that transpire in most games or movies seems pretty normal in itself. And of course a lot of people are not aligned with that and prefer older things.

If i look at litterature for example, there are entire literary movements/currents that i hate and despise, that completely dominated litterature for like 30 years before we get to something else.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is why Uncharted especially the original trilogy is so great. Written by a woman, who writes characters like a normal person. No agendas, no random sexual encounters or references that are out of place.

Just good vs evil, treasure and some cool history references.

CoD: Infinite Warfare is also a prime example of how to properly make a game that offends no one. Every character in that game is great. Black, White, Asian, I love them all which doesn't happen often especially in games.

A lot of this horse sit started with Battlefield V, Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus, CoD WW2, and then leaked into games such as The Last of Us 2 and even Spiderman with the Miles Morales DLC (Miles was great in Spiderman 1 because he was like everyone else) where they had to give him some real representation and make him Puerto Rican with flags in his room and forced Spanish dialogue, and now with Spiderman 2 where they have his black hair showing for some retarded reason.
Yep although Indont fine uc4 or even tlou2 woke honestly. At least not in this way like titles are nowadays. I am sure their next title transition over though…

Humdinger

Synthetic man is too extremist for me. He is the opposite part of the spectrum. I feel he is contrary just because this is what his channel is. Even when there is no need to be

Yeah, he's very negative. I'm just saying, there are sources that will alert you to this stuff, if you want to be alerted. I wish I could think of some other, less extreme examples, but I'm blanking.

Last edited:

Your first post was written really well. Struck a nerve with me. Those atreus sections were so cringe. Just those alone make Ragnarok a worse game than 2018 tho I have just as much an issue with atreus and co. telling the player how to solve every puzzle.

Alan Wake 2- I'm halfway through and it has been one of the best games all year. To find out that it eventually shoves woke politics down our throats is infuriating. Feels like EVERY SINGLE AAA game is partially ruined by ideology trash. It's sad to see. Infuriating.

kyussman

As a direct response to this artistically bankrupt period we are living through I've stopped gaming altogether and gone back to movies a lot......I've been on a 70's kick recently and my god it's done wonders to restore my faith in storytelling.......so many wonderful films(anyway off topic sorry,but you get my point).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Your first post was written really well. Struck a nerve with me. Those atreus sections were so cringe. Just those alone make Ragnarok a worse game than 2018 tho I have just as much an issue with atreus and co. telling the player how to solve every puzzle.

Alan Wake 2- I'm halfway through and it has been one of the best games all year. To find out that it eventually shoves woke politics down our throats is infuriating. Feels like EVERY SINGLE AAA game is partially ruined by ideology trash. It's sad to see. Infuriating.
I suggest to keep playing Alan wake2. It’s still worth finishing but I found this game is doing a very sneaky job of doing this stuff. And I am not only talking about controversial line near the end.

I think you're underestimating just how prevalent and industry wide identity politics is now, esp in the AAA space.

Whitecrow

Banned
You tried books?
Dont worry too much if videogames kills your scapism. A good book can also do the trick...

But yes, "scape" is becoming more and more difficult, but i dont know about the brainwash.

I already have my ideas about how the world works, dont matter what any game tries to "teach" me. Like a lot of people, i'd say.

Humdinger

I think you're underestimating just how prevalent and industry wide identity politics is now, esp in the AAA space.

I don't think I am. It ruined many of my favorite franchises* and sent me back to retro gaming. I know how prevalent it is.

*well, not just that, but that in combination with other factors.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well, it basically is.

SVJcqhZ.jpg

rofif rofif
Let me know if you're ok with this being posted here, if you're afraid of a repeat of the Sweet Baby Inc. Thread I'll take it out.
That’s great. We have all the right and duty as enthusiasts to talk about this.
Last thread was closed because it got side tracked. I am sure it will happen here too but maybe it will be more civil and game focused. It’s important topic and NeoGAF is one of only places where we can talk about this. Especially here

Last edited:

kyussman

There is definitely a proactive and political tendency to standardize everything to make it acceptable for what is deemed to be the only possible way of thinking in nowadays society, that's the political correctness part (and the possibility of radical thoughts in the artistic field is always one sided).

But in a more global and diffused way it's also the particular spirit of an era that you may or may not like. Having mainstream and dominant ideologies/philosophical or existential obsessions/worldviews that transpire in most games or movies seems pretty normal in itself. And of course a lot of people are not aligned with that and prefer older things.

If i look at litterature for example, there are entire literary movements/currents that i hate and despise, that completely dominated litterature for like 30 years before we get to something else.
I'm thinking back to the early nineties when I was a young man and the games and movies I was watching,and my memories are all of experiencing storytelling as the main focus,not political bullshit.I get your point but it is so over the top these days it is ruining entertainment when it rears it's ugly head.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My biggest problem why my escapism lost in most western game is because no matter the genre, they alway go for grounded for sake of "immersion" thats not why I play video games and more importantly I dont need realism to feel immerse in video games.

This my big reason why I'm losing most of my interest in western games and this year I think only bought two and next year there is not much to look forward to when comes western games.

It is.

CDPR used to be like this but they changed around the time of Witcher 3 and once Teyon expands so will they. Basically you gotta hire artists, engineers and designers. These tend to come from Universities and Unis are one of the most politically left institutions in the West, this isn't a fault, it is simply nature. The kind of people attracted to being faculty and teachers tend to be quite left leaning. Progressive views then concentrate within the Unis and the Unis teach the young how to think and feel about the world. Those same students then spread their beliefs once hired.

Vick

I'm thinking back to the early nineties when I was a young man and the games and movies I was watching,and my memories are all of experiencing storytelling as the main focus,not political bullshit.I get your point but it is so over the top these days it is ruining entertainment when it rears it's ugly head.
On the other hand, when you're doing a sidequest in a new 2023 photorealistic looking game and while discussing artistic integrity inside a video store you hear: "We do not need to bow to outside pressure", said by fucking RoboCop himself..

crying-tears.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My biggest problem why my escapism lost in most western game is because no matter the genre, they alway go for grounded for sake of "immersion" thats not why I play video games and more importantly I dont need realism to feel immerse in video games.

This my big reason why I'm losing most of my interest in western games and this year I think only bought two and next year there is not much to look forward to when comes western games.
Last year we had Elden ring. This year ac6. Dark souls actually changed me. These games are so good for that reason - they stay away from all this crap and focus on a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom