• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple M3 Max rivals RTX 3080 & 7900XT in Cinebench GPU test (Performs on par with the RTX 4080 in Baldur's Gate at 1440p)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm all for dunking on Apple, but can anyone actually link a PC laptop that matches a new MacBook Pro in the following:

Screen Quality (so full HDR, 1000nit + brightness).
Build Quality (metal design, no cheap plastic).
Performance (top tier CPU performance, 4070 mobile + GPU performance).
Battery life.

As far as I can find, build quality and performance is the easiest to March or exceed but screen quality and battery life is far trickier. I can't find anything that matches it all. The best I could do was the Razer Blade 16, but that is heavier, has way worse battery life, and actually costs more. It does have better performance though.
Good screen and battery to enjoy "no games". What is point? Stare at your HDR wallpapers?

Sleepwalker

I'm all for dunking on Apple, but can anyone actually link a PC laptop that matches a new MacBook Pro in the following:

Screen Quality (so full HDR, 1000nit + brightness).
Build Quality (metal design, no cheap plastic).
Performance (top tier CPU performance, 4070 mobile + GPU performance).
Battery life.

As far as I can find, build quality and performance is the easiest to March or exceed but screen quality and battery life is far trickier. I can't find anything that matches it all. The best I could do was the Razer Blade 16, but that is heavier, has way worse battery life, and actually costs more. It does have better performance though.

My pick for this would be the Asus Zenbook Pro 16x OLED

- 120hz OLED display, sure its not as bright as the mini led but I prefer OLED anyway. Up to preference.

- 4080 mobile gpu + i9 13905h cpu

- Aluminum body

it's definitely not cheap at 3k+ though, but they are out there.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've never cared for apple, but they've completely embarrassed the laptop market. There's just nothing else that can compete and that's on battery life alone. Still not buying though, I'd rather play on desktop/console and just get a cheap laptop or steam deck.
I begrudgingly bought a MacBook Pro for work a little over ten years ago, and even then it was such a huge upgrade (especially in terms of lifespan longevity) over every other laptop I had tried. I’ve been using Apple laptops almost exclusively in my professional life ever since, even though I try to go back to PC notebooks every few years.

But it’s the Apple silicon that has really blown me away. I’ve got an M2 Max variant, and I easily get 14-20 hours of battery life, sometimes under significant load. It’s actually nuts.

Of course the downside is that I’ve had to adapt to MacOS (which, ten years later, I still don’t like) and Apple’s walled garden. But at this point, it suits my professional needs quite well, and I wouldn’t be able to switch back.

- 120hz OLED display, sure its not as bright as the mini led but I prefer OLED anyway. Up to preference.

- Aluminum body

I think the laptop 4080 would he behind the new Mac as this Mac is being compared to desktop parts.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nice looking chip, wonder how well it compares with Alan Wake 2 benches?
I don’t think it has a native Mac version. If it did, I’d legit give it a shot there. My 10900k 3080 PC cries tears of pain when I try to play it with any amount of ray tracing. ;-;

Zathalus

Good screen and battery to enjoy "no games". What is point? Stare at your HDR wallpapers?
Obviously you use a laptop for more then just games. Hence why Apple actually has a marketshare. Sure, if all you care about is gaming then Apple is a poor choice. But for a device that will act as your primary portable compute device and workstation it does not actually have a good competitor in that regard. I work for the largest IT consultant company in Europe and most engineers are switching over to MacBooks, because the Windows side just does not compete. I observed the same behaviour working for AWS. The shift has been so sudden that you need to go onto a waiting list to get a MacBook.

Besides with ARM making it's way to mainstream windows PCs and Apple working on that emulation layer, the no game thing is becoming a thing of the past. Even now you can simply use your Mac to play BG3 and it offers a really good experience.

Sleepwalker

I think the laptop 4080 would he behind the new Mac as this Mac is being compared to desktop parts.
It's not, the 4080 in the tweet in the OP is comparing it to an alienware m18 4080, which is a laptop. The 4060 is desktop but that card isnt really powerful.

At least as far as I can see.

marjo

Putting fan loyalty aside, you should buy the product that best fits your use cases. If your primary use case is gaming, then a Mac laptop is probably not the best choice.

Ozriel

M$FT
cheap plastic
cheap display
bad batery life

🤷‍♂️

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.
It has a very good display, and is made of aluminum, not plastic.

How is the perfomance equivalent to a PC of this laptop ? 4080 range ? 4070 ?

A mobile 4090 performs somewhere around a desktop 3090. Though it also has benefits the 3090 doesn’t, like DLSS3 support.

elmos-acc

I used to be a huge Apple hater (and I still have not ever bought an Apple product), but I have recently started in a new field that has more professionals using Macs and have started to learn using it too. I still prefer PC's because of the more open ecosystem (I can't stand iOS), but Windows is not the best version of what it could be in 2023.

I think this is very impressive, and it has been a while since any laptop PC that I've had or anyone in my family has been quality. Their batteries degrade very quickly for example. If in a few years this chip will be in a reasonably priced Macbook, I probably will never buy a PC laptop again.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Obviously you use a laptop for more then just games. Hence why Apple actually has a marketshare. Sure, if all you care about is gaming then Apple is a poor choice. But for a device that will act as your primary portable compute device and workstation it does not actually have a good competitor in that regard. I work for the largest IT consultant company in Europe and most engineers are switching over to MacBooks, because the Windows side just does not compete. I observed the same behaviour working for AWS. The shift has been so sudden that you need to go onto a waiting list to get a MacBook.

Besides with ARM making it's way to mainstream windows PCs and Apple working on that emulation layer, the no game thing is becoming a thing of the past. Even now you can simply use your Mac to play BG3 and it offers a really good experience.
Yeah no shit if someone is buying the device for you then you will want the most expensive option out there. I mean why do you think there is a waiting list, because there aren't enough macbooks being made or that even multi-billion dollar Amazon isn't going to just want to hand these things out to everyone who wants one, likely without an actual need?

//DEVIL//

Ios and macos development cannot be done on windows, thats why i use macbook. And not to mention long battery life, amazing screen and total silence.
If your job is only apple environment then there is no point to compare it to windows really heh

Minsc

Gold Member
It's not, it's being compared to the 4080 mobile. Which it is still slower then most of the time.

It's a good GPU but it's not miraculous.

From what I understand a 4080 mobile puts it quite a bit back, to what a 3070 desktop? A 4080 Ti desktop card is going to run circles around the mobile one.

Zathalus

If you care about gaming, work and the rest, Apple is still a poor choice.
Well I disagree. So do quite a number of software developers as well.

Yeah no shit if someone is buying the device for you then you will want the most expensive option out there. I mean why do you think there is a waiting list, because there aren't enough macbooks being made or that even multi-billion dollar Amazon isn't going to just want to hand these things out to everyone who wants one, likely without an actual need?
The PC equivalent laptops are the same price. They are also high spec premium models. When you start at AWS (or your upgrade cycle is due) you simply check a box if you want a PC or a Macbook.

As for why a Mac? It's not a matter of price but a matter of battery life. Being based on Unix helps as well. You could of course install Linux, but that comes with a whole host of other issues for a workstation.

- Aluminum body

How long is the battery life if you put some heavy games on it? And is it completely silent?

Last edited:

phant0m

It would be a real temping piece of hardware if it could run linux.
Once their game-porting toolkit is out of beta and more supported (works similar to Steam’s Proton as I understand it) Mac could be a very legitimate place for gaming

That said, Apple’s corporate culture still seems to have a disdain for gaming. I don’t know if they just think it’s a waste of time/beneath them or what but outside of iOS (too much $ at stake there) they do everything just short of being actively hostile towards gaming.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

What? Lol it’s a slim laptop with the performance of a huge pc with the price plus higher quality parts like thunderbolt ports where PCs get cheap usb 3 ports as default.

The price is not crazy.
It’s like $4K. Price is absolutely bonkers, but at least performance is good. M3 Pro on the other hand…

Putting fan loyalty aside, you should buy the product that best fits your use cases. If your primary use case is gaming, then a Mac laptop is probably not the best choice.
This is the truth. Simply the amount of games available for pc is a huge boon. On the flip side, people who say Mac doesn’t have any games never opened their steam client and filtered on Mac games. There are many of them, but not nearly as much as pc games of course.

twilo99

I've never cared for apple, but they've completely embarrassed the laptop market. There's just nothing else that can compete and that's on battery life alone. Still not buying though, I'd rather play on desktop/console and just get a cheap laptop or steam deck.

They have zero competition when it comes to battery life vs. performance ratio. Qualcomm and Microsoft are trying, but they are about 3-5 years behind.

Zathalus

Those that don't use Linux.
Linux on a workstation is incredibly niche. Working as a developer for a major AWS service (so everything is Linux or Unix on the server and application side of things) and the breakdown was Windows/Mac with Linux a very distant third. It depends on the team of course, those focusing on Windows related services are almost entirely Windows while the media services side of things is almost entirely Apple. Speaking to my internal IT contact, for the entire site I was based at (10k+ engineers and developers) Windows was the lead, followed by a rapidly growing Mac section with Linux far is third place.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Linux on a workstation is incredibly niche. Working as a developer for a major AWS service (so everything is Linux or Unix on the server and application side of things) and the breakdown was Windows/Mac with Linux a very distant third. It depends on the team of course, those focusing on Windows related services are almost entirely Windows while the media services side of things is almost entirely Apple. Speaking to my internal IT contact, for the entire site I was based at (10k+ engineers and developers) Windows was the lead, followed by a rapidly growing Mac section with Linux far is third place.
So a machine with Windows + Linux still vastly trumps a Mac.

Zathalus

So a machine with Windows + Linux still vastly trumps a Mac.
For gaming? Obviously. For a workstation, if all the software you want runs on a Mac? Then certainly not. Because no Windows laptop currently offers the performance and battery life that a MacBook does. Oh you can get better performance, but not performance that matches it at the battery life it offers. Linux is usually not really worth the hassle either, most things you need can be covered by the Unix functionality of MacOS (but not all of course).

If your use case requires something Windows or Linux specific, then why would you even look at a Mac? If not, then the advantages are obvious. Hopefully the move to ARM for Windows or the upcoming 3nm AMD/Intel chips can close the battery life gap.

twilo99

Like I've been saying, that Palo Alto Semiconductor acquisition in 2008 has turned out to be one of the most important ones in the company's history.

They paid only $278 million for them! Even adjusted for inflation that's crazy

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
For gaming? Obviously. For a workstation, if all the software you want runs on a Mac? Then certainly not.
Because it can run all software you want and may want in the future. Why would I pay the same or more for a more limited machine (unless obviously you work with software locked to Apple only)?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Well I disagree. So do quite a number of software developers as well.

The PC equivalent laptops are the same price. They are also high spec premium models. When you start at AWS (or your upgrade cycle is due) you simply check a box if you want a PC or a Macbook.

As for why a Mac? It's not a matter of price but a matter of battery life. Being based on Unix helps as well. You could of course install Linux, but that comes with a whole host of other issues for a workstation.
Is there even a high spec premium PC business laptop that costs the same as a macbook, especially in the real world pricing?

StereoVsn

Because it can run all software you want and may want in the future. Why would I pay the same or more for a more limited machine (unless obviously you work with software locked to Apple only)?
As an example, you can get Acer, Dell or Lenovo “gaming “ 4080 systems for well under $3K, especially when on sale.

Zathalus

Because of all the advantages I listed. You can pretend they don't exist, but there is good reasons why MacOS market share has seen good growth in recent years.

Just go in r/AskProgrammers or r/DevOps, MacOS gets recommended a ton.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Apple is just destroying the laptop market. I really think Intel is screwed here. I said this when the first M chip came out and delivered vastly better performance AND battery life compared to their Intel laptops and it's just gotten better for Apple over time. The Windows laptop market really hasn't done anything notable to counter this and their stuff just is not impressive compared to the gains Apple is making.

Like I've been saying, that Palo Alto Semiconductor acquisition in 2008 has turned out to be one of the most important ones in the company's history.

They paid only $278 million for them! Even adjusted for inflation that's crazy
No doubt it was a good acquisition, but Apple has invested tens of billions - at least - into their operation since then, that far outstrips their initial investment.

twilo99

Apple is just destroying the laptop market. I really think Intel is screwed here. I said this when the first M chip came out and delivered vastly better performance AND battery life compared to their Intel laptops and it's just gotten better for Apple over time. The Windows laptop market really hasn't done anything notable to counter this and their stuff just is not impressive compared to the gains Apple is making.

No doubt it was a good acquisition, but Apple has invested tens of billions - at least - into their operation since then, that far outstrips their initial investment.

Of course, but its still much better to have a low initial investment..

I would argue that an acquisition like that is far more valuable than spending 70 bil on gaming studios lol

StereoVsn

New Intel mobile chipset is supposed to be pretty good based on some previews. We shall see early next year I think.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's a shame their laptops don't do it for me - they are pretty awesome, but for me they're just missing a few key things still (like I imagine they wouldn't work with PC VR well either).

They're great machines, top of class in many ways, but then very much lacking in other ways that keep me from buying one. Maybe one day.

RickMasters

That's pretty insane, right?
Yes…… that is. I’m impressed. And I don’t even use any of my macs for gaming. I do however have gamepass ultimate and steam on my PCs. So maybe I’ll start taking it a bit more serious when I can use my gamepass and steam games on Mac as I would on my PCs.

I think we can blame Intel for falling behind so bad. AMD are offering great value for money performance but it’s been obvious that these M chips are on another level for some time now. Especially for creative professionals. Now it seems apple can get serious about gaming. But price is still gonna be the big factor. Which is why I don’t see max gaining becoming any more popular that it is right now. You can get more than good enough performance from a 3000 PC dollar set up if your serious about PC gaming. But who wants to spend more than that for gaming. MY PC are way more expensive than most PC gamers sets up ( if I’m just using steams hardware profile stats among its users) so I would say the avearage high end PC gamer is not spending more than 3k. You are only getting a highly specced MacBook for that, not an expandable desktop….. you have to pay Atleast 4000 dollars more to apple for that privilege, and that’s for the basic one ( Mac Pro owner here)

Kataploom

Gold Member
For like 4x the prices of those, not gaming and having to deal with Mac OSX and Mac environment? Hmmm hard pass for me. But good on them, that would be great for heavy graphic workload for productivity.

Oh, and also no games, unless they get proton at SO level or something like that.

sendit

That's the biggest element stopping Mac's being anywhere near comparable to a PC. For just over half the price of a M3 Max 14" Pro Macbook laptop, I can purchase a complete PC setup with a 1440p monitor.

image.png
Imagine comparing a mobile device to something stationary.

regardless of price those are impressive gains... though i want to see a full fat benchmark suite done by someone reputable, not some rando images where it says 4080 j/k 4090.

Top Bottom