• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple M3 Max rivals RTX 3080 & 7900XT in Cinebench GPU test (Performs on par with the RTX 4080 in Baldur's Gate at 1440p)

twilo99

For like 4x the prices of those, not gaming and having to deal with Mac OSX and Mac environment? Hmmm hard pass for me. But good on them, that would be great for heavy graphic workload for productivity.

Oh, and also no games, unless they get proton at SO level or something like that.

If you need a laptop and battery life is important, which should be since you are using a laptop instead of a desktop machine, then there is no competition. Apple is superior.

In the desktop/workstation space I would personally go with Microsoft/AMD/Intel, but then again for a lot of people in the entertainment business the Apple ecosystem is better.

As far as gaming goes, Windows has no competition.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
If you need a laptop and battery life is important, which should be since you are using a laptop instead of a desktop machine, then there is no competition.

In the desktop/workstation space I would personally go with Microsoft/AMD/Intel, but then again for a lot of people in the entertainment business the Apple ecosystem is better.

As far as gaming goes, Windows has no competition.
I have to deal with a Mac every day due my job, for personal use I'd avoid them like a plague. I really don't like them, too many out of nowhere behavior for most basic things

twilo99

I have to deal with a Mac every day due my job, for personal use I'd avoid them like a plague. I really don't like them, too many out of nowhere behavior for most basic things

Sure, but that’s a personal thing, most people feel the opposite actually and really like the MacOS interface.

I don’t like it personally, but I do appreciate the efficiency of the Unix core.. it’s a very elegant system.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sure, but that’s a personal thing, most people feel the opposite actually and really like the MacOS interface.

I don’t like it personally, but I do appreciate the efficiency of the Unix core.. it’s a very elegant system.
I wish the problem was the interface, it would just be getting used to it and be done, but having videos randomly fast forward in all internet browsers, chrome closing because it suddenly updated, having to use another region keyboard setup just to write HTML code because it has issues with non-english keyboards so "<" and ">" key won't work due to keyboard detection issues (it has happened with several keyboards already), having to buy an extension so I can connect some of my gadgets, having to pay for a third party program just so my monitor work because for some reason I had to pick between 4K/30 or 1080p/60 so the software lets me at least get 2K/60 instead of 4K/144 which is my monitor config.

IDK, it seems like Mac is just for "Mac only" setups... I wouldn't even try to pair a generic controller to it to play some games lol.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wish the problem was the interface, it would just be getting used to it and be done, but having videos randomly fast forward in all internet browsers, chrome closing because it suddenly updated, having to use another region keyboard setup just to write HTML code because it has issues with non-english keyboards so "<" and ">" key won't work due to keyboard detection issues (it has happened with several keyboards already), having to buy an extension so I can connect some of my gadgets, having to pay for a third party program just so my monitor work because for some reason I had to pick between 4K/30 or 1080p/60 so the software lets me at least get 2K/60 instead of 4K/144 which is my monitor config.

IDK, it seems like Mac is just for "Mac only" setups... I wouldn't even try to pair a generic controller to it to play some games lol.

what's all that bs! lol. I have been programming . c++, swift, html, c#, typescript, and objective c on both windows and Mac for years now and have never had any issues.

Last edited:
Not even the MacBook Pro is completely silent when playing heavy games.
Not the one with the intel chips no. But my M2 Pro 16 inch is completely silent even under the heaviest of loads. It gets quite warm in the bottom and you can feel a tiny airflow, but sound there is not.

Kataploom

Gold Member
what's all that bs! lol. I have been programming . c++, swift, html, c#, typescript, and objective c on both windows and Mac for years now and have never had any issues.
All of that in a year and an half, lol, and actually there are more small issues I've had with Mac functioning but they're just annoying and I tend to forget them, I just listed the ones that have been the most frustrating.

I swear if I'm not just too unlucky, Mac users are just used to them to not realize.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Because of all the advantages I listed. You can pretend they don't exist, but there is good reasons why MacOS market share has seen good growth in recent years.

Just go in r/AskProgrammers or r/DevOps, MacOS gets recommended a ton.
Isn't that just because of native bash?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This would be fantastic if you could buy a comparable PC for a similar price. And it would also be cool if Apple actually went hard in on motherboard and started making competing products with Intel and AMD.

But some of the pricing on this is ridiculous so it's great to scream and shout all you want. But much like they are premium VR headset, it's easy to say you are even competing or are the best when you are significantly more expensive a part for part level.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
All of that in a year and an half, lol, and actually there are more small issues I've had with Mac functioning but they're just annoying and I tend to forget them, I just listed the ones that have been the most frustrating.

I swear if I'm not just too unlucky, Mac users are just used to them to not realize.
I remember having to set my MIL's 4k or 5k screen imac to 1080p I think so should could read her email!

twilo99

MarkMe2525

I loved my MacBook air from back in the day, but the only reason I was able to really use it for what I needed was because of dual boot. There is just too much software that is not compatible with Mac OS.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
It would be interesting to see NVIDIA attempt an M competitor for windows devices, ARM CPU with latest gen GPU architecture, I wonder if they could come close on power and performance.

That's comparing to the mobile 4080 right?
So good, but not extraordinary
and iirc nvidia did the same weird branding thing with their mobile cards, where the 4090 mobile is in reality what a 4080 mobile should have been with previous generation gaps, and the 4080 mobile is more like a 4070, and so on.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
14" M3 Max Laptop starting price, $3,199.00.

Now go look up the cost of just a comparable mini led desktop monitor alone.. 😵‍💫

A 32 gig m3 Max MacStudio will release next year for $2k. And it will come with a 10 gbps ethernet port as well.

The price isn’t the issue it’s that there is no indication of a surge of games coming anytime soon.

Apple isn’t advertising it as a gaming rig though.

The inevitable m3max macstudio for $1999 will be the better choice if you just want a powerful Mac.

If it’s gaming you want there really isn’t any announcements beyond two capcom games that point to any gaming surge.
Seriously very, very few people game on Mac. And most of them probably dual boot.

Ozriel

M$FT
It would be interesting to see NVIDIA attempt an M competitor for windows devices, ARM CPU with latest gen GPU architecture, I wonder if they could come close on power and performance.

Qualcomm is doing this next year.

This thread again show how scared and retarded are the Nvidia simps

You need to build in the habit of reading your posts before you hit send. Because this is really silly.

Top Bottom