• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem gameplay trailer. [EA/Bioware, PC/XB1/PS4, Fall 2018]

TLS Lex

Cautiously optimistic. Massive Bioware fan and they have the "A-Team" on this project so my fingers are crossed, but there's no avoiding the reputation they've gotten for themselves recently. Looking forward to seeing what this puts out.

Trup1aya

last we heard of project dylan was that it was pushed to 2019, that in addition to the fact this is being touted as a fall 2018 release says to me it has a very high chance of being a 2019 title. and if that's the case i imagine these visuals will be possible...

...as a cross gen title released on the PS5 and xbox two.

No they said fiscal 2019, which meant sprint 2018 at the earliest.

Then they said fall 2018. Frostbite is a beautiful engine, I didn't believe Battlefront PS4 demo footage was real until I saw it on a PS4.

And then Anthem will hit drought hard when Destiny 2 gets fresh meat and so circle goes around and around.

And I'm totally fine with that!

I don't usually stay in a game for a very long time anyway. A content refresh for every once in a while from both would be perfect for the fans of the genre.

Thorgal

so i finally had a chance to see the trailer and honestly i can't see where people are coming from that this looks too good .

Sure , i fully expect that all events where scripted specifically to make the action look good and of course nobody talks like that in an Online game IRL but at no point did i think that anything i saw in that trailer looked like a CGI Bullshit that is impossible .

eizarus

Banned
And I'm totally fine with that!

I don't usually stay in a game for a very long time anyway. A content refresh for every once in a while from both would be perfect for the fans of the genre.
If they time content drops properly, then D2 and Anthem would work so well together.

Hari Seldon

This looks like one of those quest hub loot games that I was done with years and years ago. A great mechanism for a #lootbox game but not one I am remotely interested in at this point.

Long time BioWare fan through the good times and the bad. I'm cautiously optimistic but yeah I'm excited at the same time. I think they can deliver I just hope they've really learned from ME:A and Inquisition.

Ganhyun

Watched this trailer today and showed it to a couple of other gamers I know at work. both were impressed. both also felt like this was EA/Bioware taking a huge swing at Destiny.

Kumquat

I dunno about everyone else but the fact that this is an MMO kinda kills it for me and also I really expect the graphics to get hit with a downgrade from this vertical slice.

Also expecting a huge MT train because EA MMO.

I hate to be so negative but I think this will be much different at retail than what we saw here.

Rozart

This game looks stunning. Almost jaw-droppingly so. And I don't want to keep beating a dead horse but I can't help but mourn at all the possible 'what-could-have-been's if Edmonton had been tasked with developing Andromeda instead. A new Mass Effect game with the same amount of scale, graphical prowess and atmosphere that Anthem has...A girl can dream.

I'm not the biggest mmorpg fan so I'm keeping my expectations tempered for now. I tried getting into Destiny-- mostly because I thought the world that Bungie had crafted had looked super sleek and vibrant--- and was left feeling pretty underwhelmed. So yeah, will be keeping my excitement in check for this one too. But as an avid Bioware fan, I'm still genuinely excited to see if they're able to put their decades long years of RPG experience to good use. A MMORPG world with Bioware's brand of quirky, colourful characters could be really fun.

Acinixys

Even though this is clearly a tiny, perfect slice of the game with no HUD or anything else to make it look janky, im still sold

Even if its only 50% of what was shown im sold

That initial jetpack flydown looks insane

What I'm most interested in are those shars storms, which seem to be rifts into another world or dimension.

The trailer kept implying they don't know what's on the other side. That really resonated with me - that and the sheer freedom and verticality of the persistent open world.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not the biggest mmorpg fan so I'm keeping my expectations tempered for now. I tried getting into Destiny-- mostly because I thought the world that Bungie had crafted had looked super sleek and vibrant--- and was left feeling pretty underwhelmed. So yeah, will be keeping my excitement in check for this one too. But as an avid Bioware fan, I'm still genuinely excited to see if they're able to put their decades long years of RPG experience to good use. A MMORPG world with Bioware's brand of quirky, colourful characters could be really fun.

This is almost exactly how I feel. Except I'm not really keeping my excitement in check today...

Got my fingers crossed for Anthem.

This game looks stunning. Almost jaw-droppingly so. And I don't want to keep beating a dead horse but I can't help but mourn at all the possible 'what-could-have-been's if Edmonton had been tasked with developing Andromeda instead. A new Mass Effect game with the same amount of scale, graphical prowess and atmosphere that Anthem has...A girl can dream.

I'm the opposite. I'm glad they're working on a new IP instead of another Mass Effect. Game looked great

AndyD

aka andydumi
In re-watching it, one things that seems odd to me is the slow speed of flying. It's about the same speed as sprinting on the ground.

I thought the game looked fun. The weapons had punch, especially the shotgun, and the flying looked cool (a little slow, though I assume you can upgrade your suit for faster boosters).

Hopefully the game doesn't get a visual downgrade as it gets closer to release because it is stunning - up there with Metro and Wolfenstein II for the best looking shooter at E3 thus far in my opinion.

Geist-

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but Drew K (KOTOR, Mass Effect 1/2) is writing for Anthem.

Oh shit, I'm even more optimistic about this game. Kotor 2 had better writing imho, but the first one is still one of the greats and ME 1/2 are the best of the franchise in terms of writing (and just being better games).

I want to see more. MORE! That was a really good reveal and I am very intrigued by this game though I don't want to get myself too excited and end up expecting more than it is. Still, I will be paying very close attention to this. Looks awesome.

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but Drew K (KOTOR, Mass Effect 1/2) is writing for Anthem.
Yo, really? Great news.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
A thought just occurred to me. I hope to god there is no PvP mode in Anthem.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm hoping it's not a Destiny clone and I'm hoping that it will have an actual SP and not a 'play online solo'

Why is this such a sticking point for people? What is the meaningful difference between "online game that lets you do all the missions solo" vs "offline game that lets you do all the missions solo"?

Are there really that many people left buying AAA games that don't have relatively stable broadband connections? Because I can't think of any other reasonable argument.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why is this such a sticking point for people? What is the meaningful difference between "online game that lets you do all the missions solo" vs "offline game that lets you do all the missions solo"?

Are there really that many people left buying AAA games that don't have relatively stable broadband connections? Because I can't think of any other reasonable argument.

I have the best internet there is. I'm still not buying games with unnecessary online DRM. If you don't get why, please stop complaining. There are enough threads on Neogaf with people telling you why they hate this.

Sim City was a total disaster. I didn't have any connecting issues with NFS, but the always online brought so much garbage along with it. Not being able to pause was one of them. This time they removed the always online DRM. It also ruins preservation.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have the best internet there is. I'm still not buying games with unnecessary online DRM. If you don't get why, please stop complaining. There are enough threads on Neogaf with people telling you why they hate this.

Sim City was a total disaster. I didn't have any connecting issues with NFS, but the always online brought so much garbage along with it. Not being able to pause was one of them. This time they removed the always online DRM. It also ruins preservation.

So is there really no difference in your mind between a game designed from the ground up as a unified online experience and a game that has unnecessary DRM? Do you not believe that the former actually exists, or is relegated only to the small world of traditional MMORPGS?

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think it's because the mission structures, character development, gear and encounters and rewards are tooled for one or the other. For things like Division, after a certain point you stop being able to play solo in an enjoyable fashion. And if the story is told through these missions, you effectively gate off part of it from solo players.

Mauddib

Banned
Absolutely blown away by the graphics. If that's all in game, then I can say without any hesitation that this will be THE game to beat (graphically).

Can't believe so many gaffers were talking shit about this game in the MS presentation during its showing.

eshwaaz

I think it's because the mission structures, character development, gear and encounters and rewards are tooled for one or the other. For things like Division, after a certain point you stop being able to play solo in an enjoyable fashion. And if the story is told through these missions, you effectively gate off part of it from solo players.
Well put. This sums up my concerns perfectly.

Another vertical slice of a generic shooter RPG with Ironman-inspired powersuits that will look nothing like this come release and will have a tenth of the interaction and much more artificial foes.

MartyStu

I like the idea of being able to play my games in 10 - 15 years after the servers have inevitably been turned off.

In addition, game design for offline solo play vs Online-only play tends to differ. Especially when Co-Op comes into the equation.

Did you guys know Anthem was called Project Dylan because they wanted it to be a milestone game? They want you to list your favorite games and be like

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Because Bioware spits hot fire. You guys played Andromeda!

Renekton

Did you guys know Anthem was called Project Dylan because they wanted it to be a milestone game? They want you to list your favorite games and be like

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Because Bioware spits hot fire. You guys played Andromeda!
Still salty the thread got locked? 😀

jdstorm

Banned

The sticking point revolves around preservation. Always online games are tied to servers and can be rendered unplayable should the studio in question decide to close down the servers in say 5 or 10 years time.

Top Bottom