• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem gameplay trailer. [EA/Bioware, PC/XB1/PS4, Fall 2018]

I can't get enough of this game. I've watched the trailer a few times now, but I need more footage. Give me raids and dungeons/strikes. So much potential with this concept.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Am I going to see random people out in the world or only if I invite someone?

As an example, Division has areas with both. Some are solo, some are open to roaming others. In solo areas, other players can appear if you invite them to your group, making it coop.

It's a very nice setup as you can take your time early on, except past a certain point you can't really progress solo anymore and so a good chunk of the end game and story is not soloable.

Ganhyun

I didnt realize that the reveal for this was on an XB1X (according to the rep). If it can keep it even 80% of this it will still look fantastic.

anothertech

Ya the guy said let's see what this looks 'like' on xbonx, and the footage blurb said 'realtimegame footage' but said nothing about xbonx, so I'm betting pc footage with 'close specs' meaning way more powerful CPU being used.

That said, this is being made with pc in mind, no reason it shouldn't look like what was shown

This is being compared to Watch Dogs and all that, but don't forget Ubi never claimed it was running on a certain console at the time. Here the EA guys says it and a bit of text in the video too. This is a difference. Of course downgrades can always happen, but comparing it to WD.....nah.

EDIT

My bad, i really thought some text in the video said running on Xbox One X. So it was the EA guy that said it.

diaspora

........ because the last Bioware game sure delivered on the visual front.

I mean I am all for being optimistic but it's weird to slam Ubi after the shitshow thats was ME:A.

It did, Andromeda has a ton of game design issues but it's visually stunning.
34361492414_65ce6ee2f4_o.png

35078038001_2961153b9c_o.png

34398688263_2c8fdd59f8_o.png

Whompa02

Footage was on a PC. Game looks cool. I just hope it's not all PVE. I also hope it has a story worth telling and actual consequences to my actions. I imagine this will be hard to achieve but hopefully they can handle it.

Also seeing this compared to Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty sad.

Renekton

This is gameplay the same way the 2012 Watch Dogs demo was gameplay. Anyone thinking anything else is delusional. Especially coming from the fucking Mass Effect Andromeda.
Frostbite engine trailers have been fairly faithful to final product.

Even Mass Effect Andromeda's trailer was correspondingly underwhelming.

Frostbite engine trailers have been fairly faithful to final product.

Even Mass Effect Andromeda's trailer was correspondingly underwhelming.

I still remember Andromeda's first gameplay reveal which was just Sarah jumping around and scanning stuff (that was also the Pro's showcase iirc). Final product still looks exactly like that.

Sanctuary

So does this mean we can expect pretty much no more single player games from Bioware Edmonton? :( Graphics were nice, but the gameplay didn't offer anything that hasn't already been done to death.

Mauddib

Banned
This was a vertical slice, not actual 'gameplay'

What in the world are you guys going on about? Everything from when they start flying is real gameplay. When they come out of the water and start randomly engaging the enemy is gameplay, not a 'vertical slice' or whatever the fuck that is.

What in the world are you guys going on about? Everything from when they start flying is real gameplay. When they come out of the water and start randomly engaging the enemy is gameplay, not a 'vertical slice' or whatever the fuck that is.

I think by vertical slice people mean carefully curated E3 demo.
It's not like the player could feasibly go and do anything, this was a scripted build.

In any case, I expect the gameplay shown to all be possible in the final game so no worry there.

...This is clearly a choreographed sequence...it was far too polished considering it is a long way from release. Not saying the game won't look like that, but this seemed like a vertical slice...I would need to see a live gameplay demo to convince me otherwise...

If you think them coming across a creature ripping another apart, getting shot at above the water so they have to dive, and that dimensional rift or whatever weren't placed there for this demo, you haven't been doing this long enough. Even had two chests with a weapon and crafting materials each to tease that.

Rhoc

Is it weird from me that I want Anthem to be more like Borderlands than Destiny. Just give me a big open world map without loading times. A good story with alot of sidequest. 4 Player coop with awesome and plenty of loot. And let me customize my suits like for example in The Surge. Combine that with insane visuals and I am happy.

Renekton

Is it weird from me that I want Anthem to be more like Borderlands than Destiny. Just give me a big open world map without loading times. A good story with alot of sidequest. 4 Player coop with awesome and plenty of loot. And let me customize my suits like for example in The Surge. Combine that with insane visuals and I am happy.
It seems to follow Division's structure. Pseudo open-world with shard-like shared system plus a sanctuary hub rather than D1's per mission map.

aaaaa0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_slice

Basically a "vertical slice" is a demo designed to showcase a little bit of every part of a project, and is used to give people an idea of how the whole thing will fit together when it is completed.

As an example, imagine if you're building an RPG with a hundred quests. A vertical slice of that game would, for example, be a single quest from beginning to end, with all major gameplay systems working.

The criticism is that "vertical slices" -- as shown at events like E3 -- can be unrepresentative of the final product, as the small scope allows extreme polishing and rigid scripting to be used to make a game look much better than it will be in the finished product.

Mauddib

Banned
OléGunner;240686988 said:
I think by vertical slice people mean carefully curated E3 demo.
It's not like the player could feasibly go and do anything, this was a scripted build.

In any case, I expect the gameplay shown to all be possible in the final game so no worry there.

...This is clearly a choreographed sequence...it was far too polished considering it is a long way from release. Not saying the game won't look like that, but this seemed like a vertical slice...I would need to see a live gameplay demo to convince me otherwise...

If you think them coming across a creature ripping another apart, getting shot at above the water so they have to dive, and that dimensional rift or whatever weren't placed there for this demo, you haven't been doing this long enough. Even had two chests with a weapon and crafting materials each to tease that.

Except almost all AAA games have scripted and script triggers built into the games, regardless of how linear or open world they are. This could just be the beginning of a mission.

Renekton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_slice

Basically a "vertical slice" is a demo designed to showcase a little bit of every part of a project, and is used to give people an idea of how the whole thing will fit together when it is completed.

As an example, imagine if you're building an RPG with a hundred quests. A vertical slice of that game would, for example, be a single quest from beginning to end, with all major gameplay systems working.

The criticism is that "vertical slices" -- as shown at shows like E3 -- can be unrepresentative of the final product, as the small scope allows extreme polishing and rigid scripting to be used to make a game look much better than it will be in the finished product.
Preorder beta also qualifies as vertical slice. Splitting hairs over this definition doesn't help the discussion whether the visuals are feasible on final product 😗

Except almost all AAA games have scripted and script triggers built into the games, regardless of how linear or open world they are. This could just be the beginning of a mission.

I can already tell getting what "vertical slice" means to you will be hard.
Nobody is denying that all this isn't plausible in the game.

All we mean is this was a carefully crafted and highly polished demo to show the game in best possible light.

Every big AAA E3 demo does this, I'm not sure what you can't seem to understand.

anothertech

Preorder beta also qualifies as vertical slice. Splitting hairs over this definition doesn't help the discussion whether the visuals are feasible on final product 😗
It's also been the case that Frostbite games looked and performed better in the final product. So there's that too :)

Melchiah

After watching the trailer, and Mass Effect Andromeda's initial showing, I'm very sceptical about the game looking like that when it's released. Let alone Kotaku's article about Frostbite engine's issues with animation, among other things. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, but at the moment I'm not getting my hopes up about being able to actually play the game with that visual fidelity.

After watching the trailer, and Mass Effect Andromeda's initial showing, I'm very sceptical about the game looking like that when it's released. Let alone Kotaku's article about Frostbite engine's issues with animation, among other things. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, but at the moment I'm not getting my hopes up about being able to actually play the game with that visual fidelity.

I'm skeptical as well, but I'd love to be proven wrong. There've been too many titles that have ended up getting downgraded after their initial showings at E3.

Top Bottom