• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Troyaferd

Banned
Godspeed. By ep 10 most people would want to see it through the end even if they hate it.

Fate series is not very welcoming if you're not familiar with the original arc, and the the anime for that is trash.

I highly suggest you start with Unlimited Blade Works TV series or the movie one, then go explore others if you're interested. It's the most friendliest one for the newcomers imo.

I think I will pass on this one. I really like the Fantasy Genre, that is the reason I gave it a try.

Sakura

What's the state of the Gundam franchise, the last ones I took seriously was 00 and unicorn.
Hasn't been anything good since Unicorn. There's been some OVAs here and there that are good, like Origins and stuff, but they aren't really new stories. All of the TV series have been pretty bad.
How's konosuba? I was looking into starting it. It seems really popular. Is the mc a spineless weakling? I enjoyed re:zero and this looks similar
I know you are probably already watching now, but it is absolutely nothing like re:zero and I'm surprised you got that impression. It is a comedy.
What was the first anime you guys watched fansubbed, mine was Mermaid Melody, and the MegaMan Battle Network anime.
Card Captor Sakura
Started to watch Fate/Zero, but this one is really bad, does it get any better?
Fate/Zero isn't very good, and it's a prequel that assumes you already know the story of which it is a prequel to. Even the nerds who think Fate/Zero is the best Fate thing ever don't typically recommend you watch it first.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I got in to Fate starting with Zero and it worked out fine. I'd recommended giving it another 2-3 episodes and see if it clicks. If not it might not be for you Troyaferd Troyaferd .

After Zero I found Unlimited Blade Works to be good, but very average. The Heavens Feel movies are awesome. We still need the third one though.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Bros...

QcG4T26.jpg

Doom85

I mean, I think Steins Gate is the 2nd best anime of the 2010's that I've seen, with The Tatami Galaxy being the only beating it. But if you dislike the cast THAT much, then just drop it.

Man if you were to actually do the storyline in canon order, Goku would look like the biggest Mary Sue to ever Mary Sue.

Movie 1: Roshi takes 50 years to learn the Kamehameha.
Movie 4: Goku learns it in a day.
Roshi's reaction:
DelectableHealthyKiwi-size_restricted.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I think Steins Gate is the 2nd best anime of the 2010's that I've seen, with The Tatami Galaxy being the only beating it. But if you dislike the cast THAT much, then just drop it.

The anime is fine but it IS based on a VN adaptation that is far superior to it. You might as well play that if you can. As for it being the second best 2010 (I assume you meant the decade since S;G came out on 2011) It wasn't any better than even the stuff that aired in 2010 alone, ie Kaminomi, Occult Academy and Ika.

Troyaferd

Banned
I got in to Fate starting with Zero and it worked out fine. I'd recommended giving it another 2-3 episodes and see if it clicks. If not it might not be for you Troyaferd Troyaferd .

After Zero I found Unlimited Blade Works to be good, but very average. The Heavens Feel movies are awesome. We still need the third one though.

I may give it another few episodes, but like you say I already think it`s not for me. I find the characters implausible and bland and the dialog writing awful. The animation is alright through.

MagnesG

Banned
I may give it another few episodes, but like you say I already think it`s not for me. I find the characters implausible and bland and the dialog writing awful. The animation is alright through.
Unlimited blade works. It's the same premise with different perspective, different path route for VN.

Troyaferd

Banned
Unlimited blade works. It's the same premise with different perspective, different path route for VN.

I see. Do you think it`s better than Fate Zero?

I always liked great Fantasy Stories, but the Genre is so much hit and miss. Any recomendations for other good Fantasy Anime Series with great story and atmosphere and at least realistic and interesting characters?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You are asking for realistic characters in Fantasy cartoons? Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnesG

Banned
I see. Do you think it`s better than Fate Zero?

I always liked great Fantasy Stories, but the Genre is so much hit and miss. Any recomendations for other good Fantasy Anime Series with great story and atmosphere and at least realistic and interesting characters?
IDK man. Maybe you could search on myanimelist yourself, read reviews there etc. At this point I've gotten dull at recommending, people had such broad taste on things so you never know if you'll like it or not.

Give me a couple of your favorite anime.

Troyaferd

Banned
You are asking for realistic characters in Fantasy cartoons? Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.

why not?

IDK man. Maybe you could search on myanimelist yourself, read reviews there etc. At this point I've gotten dull at recommending, people had such broad taste on things so you never know if you'll like it or not.

Give me a couple of your favorite anime.

I already have tbh, but I could not find any :messenger_confused:

favorite "fantasy themed" Anime would be Berserk, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, The Legend of Princess Kaguya, Mononoke, Angels Egg.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I already have tbh, but I could not find any :messenger_confused:

favorite "fantasy themed" Anime would be Berserk, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, The Legend of Princess Kaguya, Mononoke, Angels Egg.
Finish off all of other Ghibli movies.
Nagi no Asukara
Kyoukai no Kanata
Tiger and Bunny
Aldnoah Zero
Guilty Crown (controversial)

Of course there are tons more but I'll stop here.

Teslerum

Movie 1: Roshi takes 50 years to learn the Kamehameha.
Movie 4: Goku learns it in a day.
Roshi's reaction:
DelectableHealthyKiwi-size_restricted.gif

And then after 15 additional movies of Roshi doing absolutely nothing he comes back and competes with some of the strongest characters in existence. Ahhhhhh, the joys of Dragonball.

Last edited:

Fbh

Man what a disappointment Promised Neverland ended up being.
The first arc was really fun but ever since they escaped the farm it started going through a steady decline and just kept getting worse.

I also tried watching Dorohedoro but I'd rather read through the manga again than watching it in Ps2 animation quality.

O-N-E

What did you think of totally not Korean HxH?

One more episode to go for the season and I haven't watched HxH yet.

However, my impressions are that the show is entertaining, but suffers from an overpowered Mary Sue MC who is aided by allies and targeted by enemies whose motivations are not entirely clear. I also feel like the betrayal count in the series could reach meme-levels.

I mostly watch for Khun and other characters that aren't MC.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
One more episode to go for the season and I haven't watched HxH yet.

However, my impressions are that the show is entertaining, but suffers from an overpowered Mary Sue MC who is aided by allies and targeted by enemies whose motivations are not entirely clear. I also feel like the betrayal count in the series could reach meme-levels.

I mostly watch for Khun and other characters that aren't MC.
You should go watch HxH after this. You'll notice the similarities immediately. Or by the Hunter Exam. Soon enough.

KielCasto

My brother and I just watched this week’s Tower of God. We were both dumbfounded by the end. The show has a lot of explaining to do. I want to know more about Rachel really. Why even go through the length of pretending to be crippled and pushing off Baam at the last minute?

MagnesG

Banned
My brother and I just watched this week’s Tower of God. We were both dumbfounded by the end. The show has a lot of explaining to do. I want to know more about Rachel really. Why even go through the length of pretending to be crippled and pushing off Baam at the last minute?
Read the webtoon.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Because
Rachel
is a woman in a man's world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doom85

I still dont get the similarity between Hunter x Hunter and Tower of God yet.

I mean, I only ever watched 30 episodes of Hunter x Hunter, and that was the 90's anime version, but Tower of God's first season here just screams the "Hunter Exam" to me at least as I remember it (it has been like a decade since I saw those HxH epiosdes).

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I mean, I only ever watched 30 episodes of Hunter x Hunter, and that was the 90's anime version, but Tower of God's first season here just screams the "Hunter Exam" to me at least as I remember it (it has been like a decade since I saw those HxH epiosdes).
Still too different to be visualized as similar. I have watched the 2011 anime and read the manga and after the hunter exam(around the first 20 episodes) its just exploration of the wonderful world Togashi created and the various characters in it.

Doom85

Still too different to be visualized as similar. I have watched the 2011 anime and read the manga and after the hunter exam(around the first 20 episodes) its just exploration of the wonderful world Togashi created and the various characters in it.

Okay, but people are clearly comparing to specifically the Hunter Exam, not the entire series. I mean, when people compared Naruto to Hunter x Hunter, they were saying the Chunnin Exam arc felt similar in ways to the Hunter Exam, not that the two series as a whole were pretty similar.

Even if there are major differences, there can still be significant similarities, I mean that's even how you phrased it. For example, I think X-men and Harry Potter have a decent amount of similarities. Specific people are born capable of special powers the rest of humanity does not have, the heroes attend a special school led by one of the most powerful of them on the planet, and the main villain and his followers believe humanity is beneath the ones with special abilities. Now if somebody starts saying, "but mutants have genetic superpowers that vary among them, while wizards can learn potentially any spell! Also, there's no tournament held for the students at Xavier's! And furthermore-", well, they're missing the point. Yes, there's obviously going to be plenty of differences, it would be possible plagiarism otherwise, but that doesn't override the fact that there are some similarities.

It's not like we're saying the more recent work should be dismissed because it has similar elements to the older work. After all, even most things people believe are "totally original" actually draw inspiration from even older works if you just look further in the past. Hell, I had a friend who was the biggest Star Wars fan I ever knew personally, and even he admitted that he thinks the Star Wars OT has quite a few similarities to the Lord of the Rings books that preceded the SW movies.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I still dont get the similarity between Hunter x Hunter and Tower of God yet.
Nen and the "classes"
Hunter exam/Heaven's Arena and climbing the tower itself
There is literally a Killua like character with very simular powers...

MagnesG

Banned
There are plenty of good standalone movies out there, well aside from ghibli ones.

Recently watched Expelled from Paradise, that was a damn good movie imo.

SirTerry-T

Well, episode 12 of Nami Yo Kiitekure/Wave, Listen To Me has come and gone and I must say I'm going to miss the show. It's been a real standout for me this season and something refreshing in amongst all the isekai and high school magic girl shenanigans we get over and over again.
Time to dive into the manga, I guess.

KielCasto

I did it. I binged the ToG Webtoon from where the anime is now. That is a lot to take in but one thing is still for sure Rachel is a bitch and dare I say a poorly presented character.

Rachel reminds me of a character from DICE (but I don't read this now). She's presented to be this important character but every scene she is in she just repeats the same nonsense. It comes to me that her motive for betraying Baam is still weak even after hundreds of episodes.

But the series does get pretty good up at its highs.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally gave into the hype and decided to watch tower of god. I didn’t think I would like it for some reason but I really enjoyed it. My favorite character is anaak. I just got done binge watching all the episodes on crunchyroll and all I can say about that ending is WHAT?!?!?!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
People don't never listen to my recs :(

Also Princess Connect was decent for what it was.

Tenaciousmo

started watching Kengan Ashura by a rec. from my best friend. I really dislike the art style, the "main" character [fighter dude] is such a self insert its cringe-y. it is getting interesting with everything that doesn't involve main guy. I just dont like main guy ( totally blanking on his name).

That said. Everything involving salary man Yamashita is great, he's out of his element, goes from a publishing thing to managing a fighter, his neet son hasn't seen him in 3 years, he has another one that I havent seen that was a drop-out, his wife left him. YET he gets drunk and makes friend with CEOs and killers.

Yamashita makes the show. I am a fan of Ippo, but never tought i'd enjoy a show that feels like a headrush t-shirt.

Re:Creators is legit good.
i forced myself to watch it, never quite grew on me, I get why one would like it tho.

Also Princess Connect was decent for what it was.
I dropped it after episode 7 or 8. didn't grab me either, watching it straight after Kono Suba didn't help it's case...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Read the manga. CGI is trash on Kengan. As for Princess Connect it is extremely generic sure but the MC is a welcome change as he is barely existent. I also saw it mainly because the girls were cute as well. Sounds like you might enjoy "Cautious Hero" though.

Tenaciousmo

Read the manga. CGI is trash on Kengan. As for Princess Connect it is extremely generic sure but the MC is a welcome change as he is barely existent. I also saw it mainly because the girls were cute as well. Sounds like you might enjoy "Cautious Hero" though.
I did enjoy cautious hero and shield waifu bofuri.

MagnesG

Banned
I always hated unfinished stories from adapted anime, and now I tend to avoid those especially if the productions were meh.

Labolas

i forced myself to watch it, never quite grew on me, I get why one would like it tho.

I dropped it after episode 7 or 8. didn't grab me either, watching it straight after Kono Suba didn't help it's case...

Eh that's why I stated it was good not great. The premise alone was worth the recommend. MC is kinda there for some parts really isn't necessary to the story. Better than a lot of mainstream shonen

KielCasto

The first episode of Re:Creators was great and set my expectations really high, but I was thrown off by the pacing. I couldn’t even bother finishing it.
But I still find myself recommending it to others looking for a reverse isekai.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The first episode of Re:Creators was great and set my expectations really high, but I was thrown off by the pacing. I couldn’t even bother finishing it.
But I still find myself recommending it to others looking for a reverse isekai.
Is that the one with the cute lesbians

Top Bottom