• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Mista

Banned
Then I cri.

Also I'm up to episode 5 of Dorohedoro and am loving it. The art is stunning and it's quickly becoming one of the best shows I've seen this year. Feels like the Pulp Fiction of anime honestly lol.
I read the manga. Saw the anime CG and lost interest but might watch it later if its worth it

Troyaferd

Banned
Season 1 / Part 1 = Phantom Blood

Part 2 = Battle Tendency

Part 3 = Stardust Crusaders

Part 4 = Diamond Is Unbreakable

Part 5 = Golden Wind / Golden Experience / Venturo Aureo

Part 6 = Stone Ocean (This is the one we're all waiting for currently, to be adapted) (Manga only atm)

Part 7 = Steel Ball Run (Manga only atm)

Part 8 = JoJolion (Manga only atm

Thank You, and how is it with the Seasons?

Season 1 = Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency
Season 2 = Stardust Crusaders
Season 3 = Diamond Is Unbreakable
Season 4 = Golden Wind + Golden Experience + Venturo Aureo

right?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Thank You, and how is it with the Seasons?

Season 1 = Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency
Season 2 = Stardust Crusaders
Season 3 = Diamond Is Unbreakable
Season 4 = Golden Wind + Golden Experience + Venturo Aureo

right?
Pretty much you got it. The first season aired in 2012 I think and it covered both Phantom Blood (Part 1) and Battle Tendency (Part 2) so Part 1 and Part 2 make up the first season

Part 5 can be called Golden Wind (What most people in North America will call it) or it can be called Golden Experience (What most in Japan will call it) or simply by Venturo Aureo which I think is Golden Experience in Italian. Part 5 is Araki’s homage to Italy as the entire story arc of Golden Wind in both its manga/anime takes place there exclusively. That’s why some might call it that. They’re all the same name/title essentially

Last edited:

Troyaferd

Banned
Pretty much you got it. The first season aired in 2012 I think and it covered both Phantom Blood (Part 1) and Battle Tendency (Part 2) so Part 1 and Part 2 make up the first season

Part 5 can be called Golden Wind (What most people in North America will call it) or it can be called Golden Experience (What most in Japan will call it) or simply by Venturo Aureo which I think is Golden Experience in Italian. Part 5 is Araki’s homage to Italy as the entire story arc of Golden Wind in both its manga/anime takes place there exclusively. That’s why some might call it that. They’re all the same name/title essentially

I see, thank you :)

Kumomeme

What's the state of the Gundam franchise, the last ones I took seriously was 00 and unicorn.
Ironblood orphan was pretty good

but the rest..they currently focusing making small episode/ movies of gundam set in unicorn/original gundam universe like thunderbolt, twilight axis etc...its pretty good but not if you looking for another 24 episode per season series

Troyaferd

Banned

But also sometimes they split Season 2 / Stardust Crusaders in two Parts: Stardust Crusaders and Stardust Crusaders Battle in Egypt. But this is maybe because of the release Dates of Stardust Crudasers in 2014 and Stardust Crusaders Battle in Egypt in 2015...

Cutty Flam

Banned
But also sometimes they split Season 2 / Stardust Crusaders in two Parts: Stardust Crusaders and Stardust Crusaders Battle in Egypt. But this is maybe because of the release Dates of Stardust Crudasers in 2014 and Stardust Crusaders Battle in Egypt in 2015...
True. Funny story: I watched the first episode of Stardust Crusaders: Battle in Egypt thinking it was the very first episode in that the entire season lol. It was actually the 25th episode hahah. Luckily, it was such a great episode, that I was practically able to roll with it despite zero context. I literally thought I was watching the first episode and just had to adapt to what was going on super rapidly lol. Good times. Stardust Crusaders is one of a kind. I’ll take what it taught with me for life

Teslerum

No, Golden Wind is correct. Vento (Not Venturo, explainable mistake though as it sounds good but makes no sense) is wind. It's also called Golden Wind in Japanese, so I really don't know where Golden Experience comes from except the name of the stand itself.

Unrelated if I had to rank all Jojo's (no offense meant)

- Battle Tendency
- Steel Ball Run
- Diamond is Unbreakable
- Stone Ocean (FF is one of my favourite charachters in the franchise)
- Vento Aureo
- Phantom Blood
- Stardust Crusaders

Loved them all though. I have just quite a few problems with Stardust which was the result of it being kind of a transitory phase between Manon and Stands. IMO, though. And it was still great.

I can't rate Jojolin because it has extreme highs, but also extreme lows. It's... weird.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
How's konosuba? I was looking into starting it. It seems really popular. Is the mc a spineless weakling? I enjoyed re:zero and this looks similar

Tenaciousmo

How's konosuba? I was looking into starting it. It seems really popular. Is the mc a spineless weakling? I enjoyed re:zero and this looks similar
I watched both season and the movie last week. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Unsure how it compares to RE:zero however.
Main character did not act like a spineless weakling, he just look like it. Comedy is on point, and darkness is best girl.
recommended for sure.

Cutty Flam

Banned
No, Golden Wind is correct. Vento (Not Venturo, explainable mistake though as it sounds good but makes no sense) is wind. It's also called Golden Wind in Japanese, so I really don't know where Golden Experience comes from except the name of the stand itself.

Unrelated if I had to rank all Jojo's (no offense meant)

- Battle Tendency
- Steel Ball Run
- Diamond is Unbreakable
- Stone Ocean (FF is one of my favourite charachters in the franchise)
- Vento Aureo
- Phantom Blood
- Stardust Crusaders

Loved them all though. I have just quite a few problems with Stardust which was the result of it being kind of a transitory phase between Manon and Stands. IMO, though. And it was still great.

I can't rate Jojolin because it has extreme highs, but also extreme lows. It's... weird.
I cannot wait to see Stone Ocean dude. Where did you find a translated copy of the manga by the way? I figured they were out there somewhere but never could find one. I wanted to buy the manga and support Araki but there isn’t even any manga in English for Stone Ocean I guess, at least to purchase as tangible manga

And I was reading JoJolion’s wiki page the other day. So interesting....I can’t wait to get to Steel Ball Run and JoJolion. The manga or the anime because the anime adaptations are simply of unreal quality. They’re like near perfection every time

I’m a huge fan of Stardust Crusaders for a lot of reasons. But the team is the strongest I’ve seen of any of them. What an epic mission. What a journey. I love Stardust Crusaders so much. I felt like it had the best ending portion of any of the JoJo seasons too. But to be fair, Araki never nails an ending; it’s just sort of there and is never his strong point. It’s like he doesn’t want it to end or to end it almost, but it’s necessary so he just puts one in anyway lol. You ever feel like that? It’s kind of a cool style now that I think about it. Very light endings to his work; very unique

Without spoiling anything, who is your favorite JoJo and a small reason why?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Also

One Piece returns this week. Last week it was given a break. Can’t wait until Friday/Saturday

hellllll yeahh brehs One Piece crew

Last edited:

Teslerum

Without spoiling anything, who is your favorite JoJo and a small reason why?

Jonathan in Battle Tendency because its Jonathan in Battle Tendency. Pure Legend of comedy, smarts and badassery,

I don't like his treatment in Stardust and Diamond though. Stardust was still an appealing character, but obviously downgraded and his portrayal in Diamond was near mockery. Comparatively Jotaro has the opposite problem where he is just the exact same charachter in Stone Ocean. Which also felt weird. Araki just isn't that great at aging charachters, imo.

I don't think anything past part 4 has been released officially in English yet, sorry.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Jonathan in Battle Tendency because its Jonathan in Battle Tendency. Pure Legend of comedy, smarts and badassery,

I don't like his treatment in Stardust and Diamond though. Stardust was still an appealing character, but obviously downgraded and his portrayal in Diamond was near mockery. Comparatively Jotaro has the opposite problem where he is just the exact same charachter in Stone Ocean. Which also felt weird. Araki just isn't that great at aging charachters, imo.

I don't think anything past part 4 has been released officially in English yet, sorry.
Oh yeah, I agree. Joseph Joestar is my favorite too, barely ahead of Kujo Jotaro. It's close man. But Joseph Joestar amazed me all the way through Battle Tendency. He really is some character...

I liked Joseph Joestar in Stardust Crusaders, personally.
A lot of people thought he was downgraded and he was, but I think he did more than his part. There were some times when he didn't catch on as quickly as the others but Joseph Joestar is still responsible for more than half the team. He knew where to go, he knew who to bring along, and his party (Avdol) that he brought to fight on the mission is the man who brought arguably the strongest next to Jotaro, in Polnareff, onto the team. Jotaro was the definitive star of Part 3, but Joseph makes the manga/anime as great as it is. He's the glue guy, so to say. But yeah he was definitely past his prime. Still held up like a beast for his age though, he contributed a few times that I can recall. Joseph in Diamond Is Unbreakable however, that was kinda weird lol. Gutsy of Araki to bring him in. But DIU is an incredibly unique section of this series. It went places, creatively speaking, that I have not yet seen in anything else. The tone is completely on a different level from all the other JoJo seasons.

That's one thing I wish I would have taken very seriously in high school. I wish I would have taken more Spanish classes, and started on Japanese. That would have been so much fun, to master those two languages. But as a kid, I never knew their importance so I only studied Spanish well enough to pass decently for the two years. You must be fluent in Japanese to be reading as far as JoJolion

Teslerum

That's one thing I wish I would have taken very seriously in high school. I wish I would have taken more Spanish classes, and started on Japanese. That would have been so much fun, to master those two languages. But as a kid, I never knew their importance so I only studied Spanish well enough to pass decently for the two years. You must be fluent in Japanese to be reading as far as JoJolion

Nope, french (I'm not french, but I can read it and its purchasable here in stores). Though since Steel Ball Run I've also read ahead via scanlations before buying.

Last edited:
I’m rewatching Part 3 with my bro, just reached the Lovers fight.
Araki did a great job making us hate Steely Dan, what a despicable piece of shit. I loved Jotaro’s attitude, how he kept a cocky attitude (the moment where, out of nowhere, he writes down what Dan owes him was hilarious) even though he had no guarantee the situation would be reversed. I feel that’s something I could use in life: showing the confidence that things will go my way even when my back is against the wall.

And of course the beatdown at the end was sooooo satisfying. I don’t know if there is a case of a character beating another for several pages in other mangas. Giorno would go on to do his own extended version of it in Part 5.

GymWolf

Returning to that what is best between bleach/op/naruto argument, i have to say that even if the decline of bleach is a rare spectacle to watch, he probably has my most favourite badass scene comoared to the others

(the jap non-edited version is 100x better)
The fact that ulquiorra is basically the most powerfull espada with that second evolution, the badassery of transformed ichigo and that fucking music that you here in the anime for the first time during that scene...sooo good.

and let's be honest, bleach has by far the superior OST.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
What was the first anime you guys watched fansubbed, mine was Mermaid Melody, and the MegaMan Battle Network anime.

What was the first anime you guys watched fansubbed, mine was Mermaid Melody, and the MegaMan Battle Network anime.
Evangelion, but just the second and last two episodes back in 2003. It helped that I had already watched the show on tv. I didn’t even have internet at home back then, some friend of my brother had burned the episodes on a cd.

nikolino840

Added to my wishlist...i don't buy manga often... becouse i can't find anything that i could like... but sometimes happen....

-----

Aoi Horus no Hitomi - Dansou no Joou no Monogatari

PUQWH9S.jpg

Synopsis
It's the beginning of a new era in the Egypt of pharaohs: the marriage of the young Hatchepsout and her half-brother Sethi make him the legitimate heir to the throne, under the name of Toutmosis III. Ambassadors of the gods on Earth, they shine to their people and seem at first glance like the perfect couple. However, under her mask of a perfect wife, Hatchepsout hides a deep rage... She doesn't want to just be queen, but to become the pharaoh, like her father!

As a child, she humiliated Sethi in sword combat, and nobody can beat her in shooting arrow. Why can't she achieve the greatest rank, just for being born a woman? Hatchepsout will start a war against the traditions of one of the most splendorous cultures in the world!
-----

Shurayuki-hime

gc6KMmi.jpg

Synopsis
A story of pure vengeance, Shurayuki-hime tells the tale of a daughter born of a singular purpose, to avenge the death of her family at the hands of a gang of thugs, a purpose woven into her soul from the time of her gestation.

Teslerum

Evangelion, but just the second and last two episodes back in 2003. It helped that I had already watched the show on tv. I didn’t even have internet at home back then, some friend of my brother had burned the episodes on a cd.

Ehhhh, Digimon: Tamers possibly.

MagnesG

Banned
I guess its less about flowery words and more about nothing really happening and us getting irritated with MC. At least i don't see the story as the type that convolutes things too much, nor the author as the type that gets too far into his own ass. Its rather simple and direct storytelling.

There is a LN version and apparently (i haven't touched it yet) it does contain some major changes, like new characters, arcs, deeper developments, some changes to make the flow better (like introducing certain characters earlier), etc.
The consensus i've seen is that the LN is indeed better. However, the WN is still pretty good (so is translation), and most importantly, unlike the LN, it's already finished. This is the type of story that once you get into it, you wouldn't want to be left hanging so i'd recommend reading the WN. If you don't mind waiting for new volumes and translations, then i guess its fine to go directly to the LN.
I got burnt out when I reached the 2 war maidens plot, not sure if I want to continue lol. :messenger_weary:
Tell me if it is gonna be better, I'm more frustrated by the whole countries factions, feels unrealistically fake. Merchants are apparently dumb, and plot armor of the MC just got more ridiculous....

Guilty_AI

I got burnt out when I reached the 2 war maidens plot, not sure if I want to continue lol. :messenger_weary:
Tell me if it is gonna be better, I'm more frustrated by the whole countries factions, feels unrealistically fake. Merchants are apparently dumb, and plot armor of the MC just got more ridiculous....
Yeah, if you got that far and didn't like it i don't think you'd want to continue reading

morelan

I recently started reading A Trail of Blood (Chi no Wadachi) because of an excellent video Super Eyepatch Wolf made about it. Sadly it's not a finished work and I already caught up to the last translated chapter. It's absolutely incredible so far. Not only the subject matter is extremely peculiar, it is treated in a very "mature" way: the author doesn't try to avoid the most complex moments of the story just because they are hard to write (I could certainly see less skilled mangakas skipping a lot of the situations that are shown in this manga just because they wouldn't know how to deal with it or to figure out how the characters would react in them). Also, the "main antagonist", if I could call her that, is certainly one of the most well done villains I ever encountered in a manga. It feels like she has a life of her own and keeps existing even when she is not actually present in the action being shown. That is a huge feat for any piece of fiction. It's very hard to predict how she will behave, but this isn't done for the sake of the plot; you can see that it is a consequence of her own thoughts and her corrupted way of seeing the world.

I REALLY recommend it. There are still a lot of ways it can fail badly in my account (which I won't talk about because I don't want to spoil it for anyone), but given what I read so far I have nothing but hope this will be considered a classic in the future.

Troyaferd

Banned
True. Funny story: I watched the first episode of Stardust Crusaders: Battle in Egypt thinking it was the very first episode in that the entire season lol. It was actually the 25th episode hahah. Luckily, it was such a great episode, that I was practically able to roll with it despite zero context. I literally thought I was watching the first episode and just had to adapt to what was going on super rapidly lol. Good times. Stardust Crusaders is one of a kind. I’ll take what it taught with me for life

I see. :messenger_grinning:

Cutty Flam

Banned
One Piece manga latest, I still need to read the latest two chapters but I read about ten percent of the second to last one and holy fuck. The timing could not have been better, it's getting better and better by the chapter for the last dozen I'd say in a row. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Might have to do some breathing exercises before I dive in either today or tmrw

If it gets any crazier with next week's continuation, I'm just going to break a 40oz over the top of my head the moment I read the title of the chapter

VN1X

Banned
I started watching Steins Gate. Does it remain as annoying and dumb as the first few episodes or does it improve?

VN1X

Banned
Started to watch Fate/Zero, but this one is really bad, does it get any better?
I'm saving that one for after the three Fate/Stay Nigh movies have been fully released. I've watched pretty much every other Fate anime there is and they are all quite hit and miss. From what I've read though Fate/Zero is supposed to be one of the better entries, especially in terms of animation.

Troyaferd

Banned
No, everything (series) after it literally gets worse.

I have only watched 3 Episodes of it and the writing is just not good, also the characters seem really flat. I think I will stop watching.

I'm saving that one for after the three Fate/Stay Nigh movies have been fully released. I've watched pretty much every other Fate anime there is and they are all quite hit and miss. From what I've read though Fate/Zero is supposed to be one of the better entries, especially in terms of animation.

The animation is alright.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have only watched 3 Episodes of it and the writing is just not good, also the characters seem really flat. I think I will stop watching.
It is considered the best "fate" anime to date so there you go. The series is not for you.

Troyaferd

Banned
I started watching Steins Gate. Does it remain as annoying and dumb as the first few episodes or does it improve?

It does get a little better as the story goes on and there is more time traveling, but the characters stay flat and annoying tbh.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
It's a bit of a slow burn, it does ramp up around ep 10 I think where you start picking up hints and cues from past episodes to piece together the mystery.

If you're still bored and not interested, going into at least Ep 6 then you should just drop it.

VN1X

Banned
It does get a little better as the story goes on and there is more time traveling, but the characters stay flat and annoying tbh.
It's a bit of a slow burn, it does ramp up around ep 10 I think where you start picking up hints and cues from past episodes to piece together the mystery.

If you're still bored and not interested, going into at least Ep 6 then you should just drop it.
I'm up to ep 5 now and fail to see why it's ranked so high on something like MAL for instance. Will try and persevere.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I'm up to ep 5 now and fail to see why it's ranked so high on something like MAL for instance. Will try and persevere.
Godspeed. By ep 10 most people would want to see it through the end even if they hate it.

Fate series is not very welcoming if you're not familiar with the original arc, and the the anime for that is trash.

I highly suggest you start with Unlimited Blade Works TV series or the movie one, then go explore others if you're interested. It's the most friendliest one for the newcomers imo.

Top Bottom