• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms that Big Navi is an entusiast card and that it arrives before Next-gen consoles

SantaC

AMD has confirmed that its RDNA 2 'Big Navi' GPU will be coming to Radeon RX graphics cards for the PC platform before next-generation consoles from Sony & Microsoft. The confirmation came in the Bank of America 2020 Securities Global Technology Conference where AMD's CFO, David Kumar, stated that their next-generation GPU architecture will be available on the PC platform before the next-gen consoles arrive.

Chiggs

By enthusiast I hope they mean 3080 Ti tier. Been almost 10 years we haven’t had serious competition in the top-end.

From the article:

If David's statements hold up, then Big Navi based Radeon RX graphics cards might definitely take the fight to NVIDIA's $1000 US+ RTX 2080 Ti graphics card. The news also comes out just a day after a mysterious AMD RDNA 2 GPU codenamed Sienna Cichlid was spotted within Linux drivers and is speculated to be the Big Navi (Navi 21) GPU itself.

Yeah, hopefully it can compete with the xx80 Ti selections

I’m waiting for pricing of AMD CPUs after the Matisse refresh lineup is announced before buying a new cpu. I’ve been pretty dead set on waiting for a 3080 for my next GPU but I’m open to anything AMD offers if it makes sense

Leonidas

About time, AMD high end GPUs have been a joke for the past 4 years, hopefully things are different this time.

Pizdetz

Banned
I think it will be close hardware wise but what about drivers. AMD has been a bit unreliable recently? Or is that not widespread.
At any rate, I'm mostly hoping the GPU prices are affordable enough to make building a PC for gaming more competitive with the console value proposition.

sendit

Error: cannot read property 'teraflops' of null.

Fixed/ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Code:
let cardToBuy = (bignavi, thirtyeightyti) => {
    const nullHandler = alert("(.)-(.)")
    if (bignavi.teraflops != null && thirtyeightyti.teraflops != null) {
        if (bignavi.teraflops > thirtyeightyti.teraflops) {
            return bignavi
        } else {
            return thirtyeightyti
        };
    } else {
        return nullHandler
    };
};

My prediction:
Will come out one year after nvidia launches 30 series.
10$ cheaper than 3070.
Will have none of the features.
Performance will be slightly worse than 3070.

Being a pc gamer has sucked for the last couple of years.

What card are you currently rockin’?

Doubt it. The XSX is already offering performing performance close to a 2080 which is about 25-30% slower than a 2080 Ti. A dekstop RDNA2 chip with 80 CU's would demolish the 2080 Ti.

People keep telling me CUs don’t matter anymore tho

(sarcasm)

Last edited:

Leonidas

My Prediction:
"Big" Navi 25% slower than the fastest next-gen Ampere GPU
RT performance a generation behind Ampere
Cards Pushed to their absolute limit in an attempt to compete with Nvidia
Worse performance per watt compared to Ampere
An overpriced LE on the top card
Meager 10% discount over Nvidia for similar traditional, but worse RT performance

Dr. Lisa, my body is ready.

I'm itching to replace my old vega. I just hope it's priced reasonably and it's somewhat competitive with ampere cards.

giphy.gif

ZywyPL

Banned
Doubt it. The XSX is already offering performing performance close to a 2080 which is about 25-30% slower than a 2080 Ti. A dekstop RDNA2 chip with 80 CU's would demolish the 2080 Ti.

2080Ti is a 2yo card build on 12nm process, it won't be any accomplishment if they beat that two years later and with 7/7+nm GPUs... Over the past decade or so AMD has been two steps (generations) behind NV, so after all that time I've lost any hype for their GPUs, they need the same breakthrough like they had with Ryzen.

GHG

2080Ti is a 2yo card build on 12nm process, it won't be any accomplishment if they beat that two years later and with 7/7+nm GPUs... Over the past decade or so AMD has been two steps (generations) behind NV, so after all that time I've lost any hype for their GPUs, they need the same breakthrough like they had with Ryzen.

The key thing will be price point. If they can achieve that level of performance at a price somewhere between the current 2070s and 2080s then it will give Nvidia a much needed kick up the arse.

ZywyPL

Banned
The key thing will be price point. If they can achieve that level of performance at a price somewhere between the current 2070s and 2080s then it will give Nvidia a much needed kick up the arse.

Nah, I see that argument over and over whenever new AMD GPUs launch, but in reality with a product that's two years LTTP anyone who ever wanted/needed such level of performance already has it, from NV.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If all they can do is compete with the 2080 Ti then I'm not interested. That is a card that is more than a year and a half old.

Would need to be much cheaper to even consider it and even then I'd probably still just get a 3080 Ti. AMD tend to release broken half assed products then just update it whenever they can be bothered with pathetic drivers.

Last edited:

GHG

Nah, I see that argument over and over whenever new AMD GPUs launch, but in reality with a product that's two years LTTP anyone who ever wanted/needed such level of performance already has it, from NV.

Show me where you can get 2080ti performance for between $500-600 USD.

SantaC

eh the 5700XT is already around 2070S. Of course big navi will be faster.

GymWolf

It would be nice to have some high tier gpu from amd, i don't wanna pay overpriced gpu to nvidia if i can avoid that.

Top Bottom