• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

am i on crack or is the 360 wired pad just a bit more responsive?

i mean, i just broke on one of my wired pads that i bought earlier on PD0, and i swear it just seemed to be a bit snappier... i got out of tight situations more easily and had a seemingly easier time getting off headshots... am i imagining it?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
a wired pad should always have a better response time than a wireless pad.

That said, the difference in response time should NOT be perceptible. Either the 360 wireless pad is of horrible quality, you have a defective pad, or you're imagining things.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
The Faceless Master said:
i mean, i just broke on one of my wired pads that i bought earlier on PD0, and i swear it just seemed to be a bit snappier... i got out of tight situations more easily and had a seemingly easier time getting off headshots... am i imagining it?

sounds interesting... If true, the hardcore will use the wired regularly instead of wireless.

GaimeGuy said:
a wired pad should always have a better response time than a wireless pad.

That said, the difference in response time should NOT be perceptible. Either the 360 wireless pad is of horrible quality, you have a defective pad, or you're imagining things.
seriously, when i was playing using the wireless pad, i didn't notice any delays or hitches, but as soon as i played with the wired pad, it was just more responsive... i swear i could feel the difference...

nightez

Banned
The wired gamecube pad is fractions of a second more responsive than the Wavebird. I noticed that playing Ikaruga. so you might have a point.

/

FFunit

Banned
nightez said:
The wired gamecube pad is fractions of a second more responsive than the Wavebird. I noticed that playing Ikaruga. so you might have a point./

thats a lot for a game like Ikaruga ;)

nightez said:
The wired gamecube pad is fractions of a second more responsive than the Wavebird. I noticed that playing Ikaruga. so you might have a point.
Really? I've noticed no difference when playing Smash Bros and Wario Ware...

TheDuce22

Banned
Apparently im one of the few people who can feel the difference between a wired pad and the wavebird. I have no doubt 360 has the same problem, thats why ill be using the wired controller. IVe had this argument before on this board, the difference is there. You wont convince me otherwise.

Thraktor

FFunit said:
thats a lot for a game like Ikaruga ;)

A "fraction of a second" could be anything, from 2/3 of a second, which would absolutely cripple one's ablility to play any game, to 1/120 of a second, which shouldn't make any difference whatsoever to a game running at 60Hz. It's all relative.

I own both controllers for the 360 and GC and here are my findings.

360 - Personally, I can tell no difference between wired and non-wired. I've played PD0, Halo2, and CoD2 extensively and can't tell one from the other.

GC - Wavebirds seem to be more susceptible to interference. I haven't noticed a general lag per se, but occasionally in 4P multigames with 4 Wavebirds, you'll press right and it'll take a half second longer to respond, generally resulting in death. It seemed to be a problem on certain "channels" and I never could get 4 pads working without this happening off and on occasionally. This is why I decided to go with a 2 wireless and 2 wired scenario. Works great.

pj

Banned
it would be pretty simple to find out..

Get a split screen game, have a wired controller be player one and a wireless be player 2. Press a button on both of them at the same time and see if the character on screen reacts faster with the wired controller

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
pj325is said:
it would be pretty simple to find out..

Get a split screen game, have a wired controller be player one and a wireless be player 2. Press a button on both of them at the same time and see if the character on screen reacts faster with the wired controller
Genius.
edit: oh, maybe not. I'd still try it though.

Anyone find themselves preferring the joystocks of the S controller compared to the new controller? I find it easier to aim in FPS games... and it seems to have a bit more resistance overall giving it a bit more tight feeling...

Specifically I played PDZ last night and then played some Battlefront 2 on Xbox. Much preferred the controlling in BF2 than PDZ or even COD2. But perhaps that is due to the engine...

Thoughts?

PhoncipleBone said:
That wont work though, as you dont know if your presses are EXACTLY at the same time. Good idea, but flawed.
Well it's not like he'd hit the buttons once and call it a day.

I actually use a test like to prove input lag in various console adapters.

Take DOA4, practice mode, same characters, 2nd controller enabled, one wired one not, and do the same attack simultaniously with both chracters.
Each time you attack spam the start button (on the wired, I guess) to create a slo-mo effect so that you can see which character ends it's animation first.

If the wired controller wins out a convincing majority of times, even if you switch hands, even if you get somebody else to it, then it's clear that wireless lags behind a little.

I'd have already done this test, had I all the hardware.

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
Anyone find themselves preferring the joystocks of the S controller compared to the new controller? I find it easier to aim in FPS games... and it seems to have a bit more resistance overall giving it a bit more tight feeling...

Specifically I played PDZ last night and then played some Battlefront 2 on Xbox. Much preferred the controlling in BF2 than PDZ or even COD2. But perhaps that is due to the engine...

Thoughts?
IAWTP. The old xbox sticks are the bomb, and as a matter of fact I feel that overall the controller in general rubs out the 360 pad.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Master_Shake_05 said:
Am I the only one getting tired of this being posted after just about every technical question?

I think your best testcase would be one of the live arcade games.

raYne

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Well it's not like he'd hit the buttons once and call it a day.

I actually use a test like to prove input lag in various console adapters.

Take DOA4, practice mode, same characters, 2nd controller enabled, one wired one not, and do the same attack simultaniously with both chracters.
Each time you attack spam the start button (on the wired, I guess) to create a slo-mo effect so that you can see which character ends it's animation first.

If the wired controller wins out a convincing majority of times, even if you switch hands, even if you get somebody else to it, then it's clear that wireless lags behind a little.

I'd have already done this test, had I all the hardware.
Yeah, I'll try that with my DOA4... Oh wait...

:p

The wired controller should be more responsive though, but the difference should be negligible.

I haven't noticed any input lag with the wireless controllers. *shrugs*

Brofist

I don't know about the Xbox360, but the PS2 wired pads are always more responsive than the wireless ones I have, even the Logitech ones. Actually enough so that when playing WE9 with friends the person to use the wireless pad is usually at a disadvantage.

^^^^ But that's 1st part wired vs 3rd party wireless, that ain't ever gonna match up.

This is 1st party all around, so it can be done well... Hmm, why the hell didn't I ever try this with my Cube?

Gek54

Yes, I am finding the wired pad MUCH more responsive. I am enjoying my 360 even more now. I was never big on wireless controllers anyways. I hope the other consoles will have a wired option.

So the general consensus is that wired controllers = better overall? Drat, I was kinda looking forward to picking up some wireless down the line....

ChrisReid

Master_Shake_05 said:
So the general consensus is that wired controllers = better overall? Drat, I was kinda looking forward to picking up some wireless down the line....

No, I really don't think so. I notice zero perceptible lag with wavebirds or 360 wireless controllers. I'll never go back.

Tellaerin

Thraktor said:
A "fraction of a second" could be anything, from 2/3 of a second, which would absolutely cripple one's ablility to play any game, to 1/120 of a second, which shouldn't make any difference whatsoever to a game running at 60Hz. It's all relative.

Some fighters require responses within ~1/60 sec., so even 1/120 of a second could be enough to screw up your timing.

I never had any interest in wireless controllers to begin with (my gaming setup has me sitting close enough to my consoles that I really don't need them), and stuff like this is definitely not going to help persuade me to switch. Wired controllers FTW.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I recently bought a Wavebird, my first, and am loving it with games like, say, Fire Emblem. I Haven't tested it on anything faster. As for the X360, I bought a wired controller as my 2nd pad just in case the wireless one proved unreliable. That, and to plug it into my PC.

I haven't noticed much of a difference since playing with both wireless and wired (play-n-charge) X360 controllers. I've logged in a lot of hours on PGR3 and RR6, I just can't tell the diference

TheDuce22

Banned

It depends on the game. I could play zelda all day with a wavebird but it sucks for smash brothers and mario kart.

Well, I'm going with wireless anyway. If all my controllers are w/l, then at least no one gets the upper hand at multiplayer. Also, I'm a lazy fuck who doesn't want to get up off the couch to get the controller and turn the system on. So a w/l controller, for me, is like a remote.

I'm rambling.......... :lol

Do some blind testing where you don't know if the controller is plugged in or not. Have somebody set up the test and have your view obscured so that you don't know the status of the cabling. Repeat several times, and avoid interacting with your assistant so that you can't try to read their non-verbal cues.

Spike

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Do some blind testing where you don't know if the controller is plugged in or not. Have somebody set up the test and have your view obscured so that you don't know the status of the cabling. Repeat several times, and avoid interacting with your assistant so that you can't try to read their non-verbal cues.

Won't work because of the setup of the wireless with that battery pack, while the wired one has no battery pack.

monchi-kun said:
I haven't noticed much of a difference since playing with both wireless and wired (play-n-charge) X360 controllers. I've logged in a lot of hours on PGR3 and RR6, I just can't tell the diference
using a P&C kit doesn't make the controller wired...

monchi-kun said:
hmmm, i'll try and play w/o the battery and see if it still ticks
actually, you shouldn't do that...

damage.jpg

Master_Shake_05 said:
lol, who reads the instructions? Let him try things out by himself! :D
i always read instructions!

usually while on the train/bus or on the can ;)

i mean, i even made a thread about the wireless pads not being wired with the p&c kit last weekend...

complete with pics!

wireless.jpg

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I've noticed this as well.

so I only use the wireless for friends coming over now.

Plus working as a USB controller in my PC for emu's is just icing on the cake. Wired ownz.

sasimirobot

human reaction time is roughly .21 seconds, plus or minus several hundredths for individual differences, and human inconsistency

I never have problems with my WaveBird and Ikaruga and Wario Ware (the fastest games I can think of)

Top Bottom