• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2020 - Get To The POINT Where It All CLICKS

TripleSun

Wow, thank you for that list of PnCs that went under the radar for me. I'll have to play the free prologue of Whateverland. I love how more and more devs are doing small free snippets to test the game out and all before people decide if they want it or not. Very consumer friendly

Found another PnC that was announced during the recent Xbox Series X live event. It's called Call of the Sea and will be for Xbox & PC via Steam. Looks like a walking simulator but god damn the visuals are crisp. It looks rather interesting plot wise too. I have hopes for this one. Publisher Raw Fury is on board with the game so that's good news. Other PnC games they published that I loved if some don't know are Kathy Rain and Whispers of a Machine.

Call-of-the-Sea_05-07-20.jpg

Last edited:
Found another PnC that was announced during the recent Xbox Series X live event. It's called Call of the Sea and will be for Xbox & PC via Steam. Looks like a walking simulator but god damn the visuals are crisp. It looks rather interesting plot wise too. I have hopes for this one. Publisher Raw Fury is on board with the game so that's good news. Other PnC games they published that I loved if some don't know are Kathy Rain and Whispers of a Machine.

Yeah this game looks really good. I'm glad bigger indie publishers like Raw Fury are invested in the adventure genre. Another promising one they're putting out is Backbone. Also, looking on the website it actually seems like it won't be a Walking Sim. The developers describe it as a "first person adventure puzzle game" and include this in the description:
Investigate the clues left by a previous voyage, piece together what happened, and solve a variety of clever puzzles.
So I'm happy about that. Thanks for posting, Triple.
--
Also, in other cool adventure news, Ron Gilbert released a small free Thimbleweed Park game called Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure.
Grumpy Gamer Blog said:
What I did during the Pandemic
By Ron Gilbert

As I write this on the 9th day of May in the year of 2020 the Pandemic is far from over. Different people deal with isolation, fear, social distancing and hoarding toilet paper differently. I built a game. It helped keep me sane.

As I mentioned back in March, I began rewriting the Thimbleweed Park engine with no real goal in mind, it just seemed like something to do and I had a few ideas about UI I wanted to explore.

What began as a way to waste time, turned into a fun little game prototype. A little over a month ago David Fox came on, then Robert, Katerina, and Octavi jumped on to help. The game was built almost entirely from existing art, sounds and music from Thimbleweed Park, more of a remixing into a new game that can be seen as an addendum to Thimbleweed Park. It is not a sequel.

We hope you enjoy it, it's complete FREE on Steam and the Epic Store. A strange little game for the strange and stressful times we find ourselves in.

Did I mention it's FREE.

Stay safe and I hope this little game helps, even a little.

In the coming weeks I'll be posting more about the new engine and how it's different and hopefully better.

D.Final

Banned
Wow, thank you for that list of PnCs that went under the radar for me. I'll have to play the free prologue of Whateverland. I love how more and more devs are doing small free snippets to test the game out and all before people decide if they want it or not. Very consumer friendly

Call-of-the-Sea_05-07-20.jpg

This is really interesting

So, I've been playing VirtuaVerse and so far it's really good. The story is a simple enjoyable one with nice world building touches, the puzzles are solid and the artwork & ost are fantastic. Outside of a few moments I've found tonally inconsistent (you wind up killing someone and it's treated like no big deal by the protagonist which was weird. One of the puzzles has you setting fire to a dude's boat which is pretty dumb.) I'm having a really great time with it. VirtuaVerse is shaping up to be an easy recommend.

Some good low key humorous lines, too.
s0C1Fkq.png

TripleSun

Personally I'm all in on VirtuaVerse's art but there are definitely some stylistic proportions that not everyone will like.

Also, I can't quite remember who but I seem to recall people in the 2019 thread hoping for Last Crown updates. Well now there's a demo available on the developer's website (you have to scroll down a bit). So that seems like a good sign. I think you were looking forward to this one, TripleSun TripleSun ?

Oh yeah I've been waiting for that one! Sweet, didn't know there was a demo out. That is a good sign. Haven't heard anything about Blackenrock in forever. I had thought the worst.

D.Final

Banned
So, I've been playing VirtuaVerse and so far it's really good. The story is a simple enjoyable one with nice world building touches, the puzzles are solid and the artwork & ost are fantastic. Outside of a few moments I've found tonally inconsistent (you wind up killing someone and it's treated like no big deal by the protagonist which was weird. One of the puzzles has you setting fire to a dude's boat which is pretty dumb.) I'm having a really great time with it. VirtuaVerse is shaping up to be an easy recommend.

Some good low key humorous lines, too.
s0C1Fkq.png

Nice screenshot

Just finished playing through VirtuaVerse and I really liked it quite a bit. It's probably the most challenging "modern" adventure game I've played in quite some time. Modern in scare quotes because its design sensibility is unabashedly retro. Multiple environments, concurrent multi-step puzzle chains, tons of inventory (red-herrings included) and no hand-holding in sight. If you want adventures how they used to make them, VirtuaVerse is the real deal. The occasional pixel hunt and obtuse puzzle included (thankfully the rare exception, not the rule).

It's a substantial game as well. I didn't clock my play-time but I'm gonna say 10+ hours, easily. Something that I wasn't expecting but the environments are varied enough, the world-building is strong enough and the general aesthetic bad-ass enough to retain your interest throughout the duration.

owEP5Z6.jpg
JLWJ10f.jpg

Plot wise VirtuaVerse starts simple and gradually builds into a more complex narrative. I think, in large part, it delivers. The dialogue will potentially rub some people the wrong way. It reminds me of comics from the 90's like Preacher or Transmetropolitan where the author is blatantly ranting through the protagonist in their own voice. It's a really hard style to pull off without feeling self indulgent and VirtuaVerse's writing is without question self indulgent. Some of the game's nerdy reverence for the mid 00's software piracy scene and retro tech is charming. It becomes cringe-worthy when Nathan is pretentiously ranting about trivial problems like how "no one listens to full albums anymore, just singles and playlists."

What helps soften the blow is the ambient silliness to the game's general tone. Despite the fact that the overall narrative is quite serious you wont find the earnest realism of a Technobabylon in the game's character writing. These characters talk like video game NPCs. Very matter of fact, very characterized/archetypal. I don't mean that as an insult, either. I think it's part of the game's retro charm.

tGjNJta.jpg
Y3UNKHN.jpg

Overall I think VirtuaVerse hits more than it misses both in terms of narrative and gameplay. If you enjoy cyberpunk and synthwave the aesthetics alone will win you over immediately. It's an easy recommend for adventure fans in my opinion, especially if you're looking for an old-school challenge. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

A game that is OVERDUE a sequel, well aware that Ben isn't around anymore, but even so there is ample scope in the universe of the Polecats and Full Throttle as a whole...!!!

Thanks for posting, I love these videos where Tim Schafer plays his old games. There's good ones for Grim Fandango and Day of The Tentacle as well.

A small team called GrahfMetal recently put out a free adventure game in the style of Icom Simulations titles like Deja Vu, Uninvited and Shadowgate. Specifically the NES ports of those games, which are my favorite versions.

Spectacular Retro Adventure
In SPECTACLE you will find yourself stranded in a magical desert kingdom with only your wits to keep you alive. Use whatever you can find to uncover the secrets of this doomed land and overcome its dangers and traps.

Meet fantastical creatures, mysterious allies and deadly monsters as you solve puzzles and piece together the history of the kingdom.

A Quest for the Ages
  • 100+ game screens
  • Save Game feature so progress can be continued between sessions
  • Time passes as you travel between screens: solve puzzles by not only figuring out how, but also when
  • Learn Spells that allow you advance time forward or temporarily stop time completely
  • Randomized elements affect some puzzle solutions each time you start a new game
  • A dungeon with a randomized layout every time you enter or die
(Spectacle on itch.io)

pramod pramod I remember you saying Shadowgate was your favorite adventure game so this might be worth checking out.

GreenAlien

Serena

It's free, and basically a 3d P&C , "horror", game. There is lot's of voiced text for every single clickable object and even some for when you don't click anything for a while. . In exchange the amount of objects is very limited. There are no puzzles.
Use "space" on the keyboard to highlight clickable stuff. ESC terminates the game without warning.. so avoid it. I don't think there is a way to save the game, so you want to finish it in one sitting (~60min).

Last edited:

Frogwares is back at it again with a newly announced Sherlock Holmes game.
ABOUT THIS GAME
As Sherlock, your legacy is written by the decisions you make in this open world detective adventure. Deception, violence, and deduction are just a few resources in your arsenal—your mysterious companion and sounding board, Jon, is another.

Whether you choose brute force to solve problems or stay one step ahead of your enemies by using your wits to spot vulnerabilities, you decide what each situation demands as you hone your investigative skills. It’s time to confront your past so you can become the legend you’re destined to be.

KEY PILLARS:
The Man Before: As a cavalier young Sherlock on the precipice of adulthood, you’ll earn your reputation in a way no game or story has explored before. We’ve never seen the youthful arrogance and naiveté of the man before the legend—now you’re living it.

Global Investigation: You never know where your next clue will come from. Explore and exploit the entire city in your pursuit of truth, using clues, rumors, disguises, tags, and pinned evidence to build a solid case within your mind palace.

And Stay Down: Weapons might help you in a pinch, but there’s something to be said for style—and you have it in spades. Spot enemy vulnerabilities with your brilliant observation skills, or exploit the environment to take someone down while keeping your own hands clean.

A Different Jon: Before John Watson, there was a different Jon - your best and only friend. But who is he, really?

A Darkening Tide: Set in the 19th century, the vibrant island in the Mediterranean promises anything but paradise. Political corruption and crime run rampant while the islanders cling to tradition and eschew outsiders, making your job even more difficult.

Truth and Lies: There are two sides to every story, and the proud islanders have their own ideas about truth and justice. It’s up to you to decide whether uncovering the truth will do more harm than good—and how that will shape the man you’ll become.

Last edited:

Reficul

I wish more of these games would be available on consoles. My home computer will probably not run half of these.
Still hanging on to my C64 as I was told 64K was all we ever needed, but I'm starting having second thoughts about this statement 🤔

Hello everyone!

We are thrilled to announce that Happy Anderson, the talented American actor who has worked in film, television and on and off Broadway, has joined Saint Kotar as a voice actor!

Anderson caught our eyes with his outstanding performance as the serial killer Jerry Brudos in the critically acclaimed Netflix’s show Mindhunter. He also played, among others, in the movies Bright and Bird Box, in Cinemax’s show The Knick, and as a voice actor in video games Max Payne 3, Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2.

In Saint Kotar: The Yellow Mask, the free prologue of the full game Saint Kotar scheduled to release on June 18, Anderson takes the role of Davor, the owner of the tavern ‘Gorski’.

TripleSun

Looks like Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story got pushed back to August instead of this month because of something they ran into during QA, dang. Guess we'll just have to wait a little longer. I applaud them for making sure it has a solid release day instead of dropping it in an iffy state, though. Game looks beautiful.

New trailer for Beyond a Steel Sky, more of a look of inside Union City and the first appearance of Joey! A release date would have been nice but Im glad they're at least seemingly still on track for 2020 with the COVID situation.

New trailer for Beyond a Steel Sky, more of a look of inside Union City and the first appearance of Joey! A release date would have been nice but Im glad they're at least seemingly still on track for 2020 with the COVID situation.

The tone seems so different from the original. I don't know what to make of it yet

DontNod recently started acknowledging Twin Mirror's existence again. They've posted some new screenshots and a few short clips to twitter. It seems they've done a major visual overhaul to the game since we've last seen it. I appreciate the changes, gives the game a style of its own distinct from LiS.

EYoMuN1WsAE77OM

EY38HXKWAAUXjZv

EYeQfRyX0AAzTKJ

Also, Feria D'Arles developer Tom Simpson announced the follow up to last years surprise gem.

I wouldn't expect Bull out of Arles anytime soon but it's nice to see the continuation of this series, especially after the cliffhanger ending of the first game.

Hey Adventure lovers! We have only 5 days left until the Saint Kotar's [strong]free[/strong] prologue release and Kickstarter campaign launch! It's also the last Saturday before these two important events so let's celebrate it with a set of new screenshots 👀

The game already has the Kickstarter tag "Project we love". Hopefully you'll love it too! :messenger_grinning:

s8pGlhZ.jpg

vMvgtl8.jpg

ur2c2SG.jpg

Wr2jJCp.jpg

W75mOUn.jpg
"

zTRqp7j.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of interesting adventure games/new info and trailers have been coming out of the current glut of quasi-E3 live streams. There's an interesting first person adventure taking place in an alternate history World War II where Poland is a post-nuclear wasteland. You play as a 12 year old boy who explores the mysteries of a secret Nazi bunker.

There was also a short developer presentation for Call of The Sea, the eye grabbing first person adventure game from last months Xbox stream. This video gives a bit more info, details their approach to puzzles (as well as confirming their existence). Just tidbits of info but it's nice to know a bit more about this game beyond it's pleasing aesthetics.

A new trailer for Lake, which developers Gamious describe as a mix between point and click adventure and driving sim. It's fairly similar to the previous trailer they put out but it's a bit more polished and shows off more of the town. Chill vibes remain in tact, very much looking forward to this.

A teaser for Twin Mirror dropped, showing off the games revamped visuals. Definitely a step up from what DontNod was showing last year. It's also been reported that the game is no longer episodic, which I'm wholly in favor of.

Developer presentation for Sherlock Chapter One from the PC Gaming Show. I'd love to see them nail and open world detective game, here's hoping they do.

Developer interview for esoteric Noir P&C adventure, Genesis Noir. "The puzzles are meant to evoke a vibe and a feeling." I like the aesthetic they're going for.

Last edited:
We don't want to spam you constantly, so here's just a quick update:

- GOG version of the free prologue Saint Kotar: The Yellow Mask is coming this week!
- the project is (at the moment of writing this post) almost 30% funded on Kickstarter, but we need your help to get the word out. visit the Kickstarter page and support us in any way you can.

And keep being awesome, this thread and the people here are so passionate about the genre... hats off to you all :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

D.Final

Banned
A lot of interesting adventure games/new info and trailers have been coming out of the current glut of quasi-E3 live streams. There's an interesting first person adventure taking place in an alternate history World War II where Poland is a post-nuclear wasteland. You play as a 12 year old boy who explores the mysteries of a secret Nazi bunker.

There was also a short developer presentation for Call of The Sea, the eye grabbing first person adventure game from last months Xbox stream. This video gives a bit more info, details their approach to puzzles (as well as confirming their existence). Just tidbits of info but it's nice to know a bit more about this game beyond it's pleasing aesthetics.

A new trailer for Lake, which developers Gamious describe as a mix between point and click adventure and driving sim. It's fairly similar to the previous trailer they put out but it's a bit more polished and shows off more of the town. Chill vibes remain in tact, very much looking forward to this.

A teaser for Twin Mirror dropped, showing off the games revamped visuals. Definitely a step up from what DontNod was showing last year. It's also been reported that the game is no longer episodic, which I'm wholly in favor of.

Developer presentation for Sherlock Chapter One from the PC Gaming Show. I'd love to see them nail and open world detective game, here's hoping they do.

Developer interview for esoteric Noir P&C adventure, Genesis Noir. "The puzzles are meant to evoke a vibe and a feeling." I like the aesthetic they're going for.

Some really cool and interesting games here

TripleSun

I had not heard any new news about The Forgotten City (that skyrim mod become full-fledged game) in a while so I looked and found some new trailers and gameplay videos from PC Gamers' Summer of Gaming 2020

Still looks great. I love mods and stuff based off the Elder Scrolls fan community because they always dream up amazing ideas, especially after playing Enderal (which was a fan made creation better than Skyrim itself). Also it may look like a walking sim but it's not. It has combat, stealth and all that just like Elder Scrolls games.

Says its coming Winter 2020 on the Steam page

So, I played a bunch of the demos available in the recent Steam Summer Game Festival. There were various different adventures I'd been keeping track of and was eager to play and (for the most part) I was really pleased and even gained newfound excitement for certain titles.

Here's some brief impressions of the games I played:
Crowns & Pawns - Really polished experience. The protagonist was likable straight away, the visuals are colorful, clean and charming. Gameplay is tried and true traditional 90's fare by way of Revolution Software's Broken Sword. Some of the inventory puzzles flirted with contrivance but nothing that would scare a seasoned adventure fan away. Really looking forward to this one. 5/5

Children of Silent Town - I was only vaguely aware of this game before, having seen a little bit of it, and I've gatta say CoST has got a lot of promise. Aesthetically it's in the vein of Fran Bow, Jhonen Vasquez or Tim Burton-esque cutsey horror. Your mileage may vary on that but I can dig it. Story wise it's a lot more wholesome and subtlety creepy than a game like Fran Bow. I found the characters very inviting and the protagonist believably young in a way many games screw up. Puzzles were inventory based and mostly very simple. It also does the "some items are only relevant after the plot demands it" thing, but I've been through worse (see: every CiNG game). 4/5

The Uncertain: Last Quiet Day - Probably the most disappointing demo I played during the festival. This very likely has to do with it also clearly being the earliest offering by far. To be frank, I don't think the devs should have let people play it in this state. There was no VA, missing animations, performance was spotty and the section of game they chose not particularly interesting. You're scavenging for medical supplies in the robot apocalypse and gor some reason you're taking very little despite being in a fully stocked pharmacy. All the character interactions were super stilted due to missing animation so I couldn't really get a sense for anyone's personality. The puzzles tend to solve themselves via the streamlined UI a la Truberbrook (ugh) and there's one of the most god awful QTE sections I've ever played in a game. I'll say that the visuals are nice and the writing seems competent but there's a lot to fix before release time. 2/5

Aurora: The Lost Medallion - Really impressed with this one. I've seen it a lot before, actually, and hadn't been too excited about it because the artwork comes off as pedestrian in screenshots (imo). Really glad to have played the demo so I could find out just how wrong I was! Aurora is another game that really captures child characters well. The cast has a good variety of different personalities and are all generally likable. The artwork and animation has a lot of personality in motion that doesn't translate to screen grabs. You play as a group of kids in an underground bunker playing a variation of hide and seek that contains an added level of lore. The seeker is some kind of monster they've clearly been taught to fear but the whole affair is pretty lighthearted. It's a good setup for a multi-step puzzle chain thats genuinely creative and fun. I want more time in this world and with these characters, without question. 5/5

Nine Noir Lives - Something about this game just didn't click with me at all. I went into it thinking I was going to really enjoy playing, but the demo starts out with this incredibly long (and imo super unfunny) intro sequence. Which goes straight into a tutorial, which goes straight into another long uninterrupted string of (unfunny) dialogue. To be quite honest I couldn't finish the demo. Maybe someone else could like this game, visually it's nice enough, but I couldn't get through it. Cliche, half baked jokes that go on forever. 1/5

Roki - Already played the demo from a previous Steam festival but I thought I should reiterate that it's awesome. Simple & stunning cell-shaded art style. Well designed puzzles and some flat out awesome creature design (especially as seen in the last trailer). The demo itself is just a brief taste but I think the final game could really be something special 4/5

Saw this pop up on my Ig feed - cpuldnt find much else on internet, but i like the designs and concept so far...

8zT1b9T.png

MdjfvBQ.jpg

uqiziAr.jpg

cjbsJzU.jpg

Nice find, Heck! I'll have to look into this one, the characters look really cute.

Top Bottom