• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2020 - Get To The POINT Where It All CLICKS

The demo for Roki is playable for another 4 day window as part of the Spring Game festival. I'd definitely encourage a playthrough if you missed it last time. Very charming, studio Ghibli-like, atmosphere with a lot of polish. One of my most anticipated adventures for 2020.

There's also a timed demo for "When the past was around" which I don't know much about besides it's catchy soundtrack and charming style. I'm gonna check it out and see what's up, though.

The KickStarter project that has been 8 years in the making, SpaceVenture, has announced a (tentative) June release date. The update on their crowdfund page also includes some interviews with voice actors on the project.

Shooting for a June release date!

Hey everyone! Thank you all so much for your patience in waiting on this update. We know it has been a long time coming. We've been debating on bringing up personal issues due to it sounding like excuses. However, we decided to at least let you all know that Mark and Chris both lost their mothers during a span of time in the last few months. This is not the only reason for a slow update, but we hope you'll understand that it has played a role in delaying things further. I am happy to report that things are getting back to normal for the team.

For months we have hoped for this update to have a doable release date in it. It took some time for us to get things to a point to where we felt good about a date that seems possible.

First off, where are we on the game right now?

• All the main scenes of the game are completed, including the intro and ending game sequences
  • Parts of the game are still being properly connected so everything plays from sequence to sequence
  • Parts of the game are going through a polish phase right now
  • Almost all of the VO has been added to the game. There are a few small parts that still need to be added
  • The game still has some missing SFX and music that need to be added.
  • More death sequences are being added
  • Some fun Easter eggs are being added
  • Game credits have not been put in yet, but that is on our radar
  • We will be doing beta testing on a very large scale as soon as we feel we are ready. Backers that backed at a high enough level will receive access to beta testing
  • The save game system is going through a revamp to make things work better and have a bit more polish
We are aware we have posted possible release dates before, but our Gantt chart shows that June is a reachable date so long as everything goes as planned. If June gets close and we feel things continue to run behind, we'll post another update and let you know. Either way, the game is close and you can look forward to seeing it finally get released soon. We will be releasing the game for digital download in English first and hope to have the localization stuff done in the not too distant future. Once everything is ironed out with the digital downloads, we will be going through getting the physical copies done. Please do not worry about sending us mailing information yet. When we are ready to mail out the physical rewards, we will send out a questionnaire on Kickstarter that will allow you all to update us on that information.

66664614bd19cb25c87226d7708c5beb_original.JPG

Personally I had written off this project as abadonware, so it's good to see some life in it. Who knows if they'll actually hit the June date. It seems like they're already using some hedging language in this announcement. But I guess you have to temper your promises when the game you're working on has taken the better part of a decade to develop.

Will the game be any good? For the sake of Space Quest fans and the 10k + backers, I hope so. Anyone still looking forward to this project after all these years?

Hey folks,

long time no see but we have some news for you! Saint Kotar: The Yellow Mask is in the alpha stage and will be released in May, with the exact date being announced by the end of April! Our initial plan was to release in April, but due to everything that's been going on we decided to go for the safer route and release in May. We've explained a bit more in a news post on our website in case anyone wants to check out! :)

General Interactive have launched a KickStarter to complete their upcoming cybernoir mystery adventure Chinatown Detective Agency. Having read through their campaign, it's a very well put together pitch and with it comes a playable demo on itch.io as well as a new gameplay trailer.

One of the interesting mechanics the game aims for is "real detective work." The claim is that all of the game's main story can be deciphered in game but some side missions and puzzles will require research in the real world via google, consulting an encyclopedia or referencing a map. I think that's a pretty interesting way to split the difference on an interesting, but potentially hazardous, mechanic.

I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. Haven't had a chance to check out the demo, but I plan to and expect good things.

Hey folks,

long time no see but we have some news for you! Saint Kotar: The Yellow Mask is in the alpha stage and will be released in May, with the exact date being announced by the end of April! Our initial plan was to release in April, but due to everything that's been going on we decided to go for the safer route and release in May. We've explained a bit more in a news post on our website in case anyone wants to check out! :)

Looking forward to seeing more, good luck with the release.

The Signifier is a newly announced first person adventure game developed by Playmestudio and published by Raw Fury. The game aspires to be a deep examination of A.I and the subconscious mind, framed through the lense of a murder mystery. From what it's possible to glean in the trailer, if nothing else, the production values are on point.

The Signifier is a first-person tech-noir mystery adventure that blends investigation, experimental psychology, and artificial intelligence.

Players step into the role of Frederick Russell, an expert in AI and psychology, and the main researcher behind an experimental deep brain scanner called the Dreamwalker. Its controversial technology allows the exploration of the recorded senses and unconscious realms of the mind. He finds himself thrust into a spiral of intrigue when asked to use his creation after the vice president of the world’s biggest tech company turns up dead in her apartment.

Explore the real and surreal worlds, become immersed in fringe psychology, solve puzzles, and find the truth.

Features:
  • Three coexisting dimensions to explore: reality, and the objective memories and subjective dreams in the mindscape
  • Move between realms to solve puzzles, unlock new dialog branches, and unravel the mystery
  • Learn psychological concepts to use powers and tools for navigating the strange and unpredictable unconsciousness
  • Every challenge is part of the mystery that creates unique moments with no filler
  • A multi-layer narrative that spirals into a complex web of real-world intrigue as surreal suspense
  • Get immersed in thought provoking tension, free from jump scares
  • Question the implications of AI, intrusion to the consciousness, privacy, and whether we see the world as it is or a subjective creation of our minds

Raw Fury is also publishing the Anthropomorphic Noir Adventure: Backbone. As well as other promising indies like Sable. So them taking this game on board is an encouraging sign to me. No firm date as of yet but it's slated for release sometime this year. More info on the game's official website.

Playing Technobabylon and am up to the restaurant. Quite good thus far. Really like the characters and the puzzles aren't too terribly difficult. Usually don't play adventure games, but I'm enjoying this.

If you find yourself curious to play other adventures after Technobabylon the Wadjet Eye (Tech's publisher) catalog is a great place to start. I'd recommend The Blackwell series. Fantastic paranormal detective games. Great if you like ghost stories, murder mystery or just generally well written human drama. The series steadily gets better & better as it progresses, too.

The Blackwell games aren't too long so you could finish all 5 in a week or less. But if an entire series seems like a lot of investment, Shardlight and Gemini Rue are also really good options worth looking into.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
If you find yourself curious to play other adventures after Technobabylon the Wadjet Eye (Tech's publisher) catalog is a great place to start. I'd recommend The Blackwell series. Fantastic paranormal detective games. Great if you like ghost stories, murder mystery or just generally well written human drama. The series steadily gets better & better as it progresses, too.

The Blackwell games aren't too long so you could finish all 5 in a week or less. But if an entire series seems like a lot of investment, Shardlight and Gemini Rue are also really good options worth looking into.
Second that. I personally prefer them to Technobabylon.

To The Moon 3 announced for later this year (confirmed not an april fools announcement in the comments).

Haven't played this series, although I do own the first game and dont even remember buying it. But I know many people enjoy it so this should be exciting news for some.

PhoenixTank

To The Moon 3 announced for later this year (confirmed not an april fools announcement in the comments).

Haven't played this series, although I do own the first game and dont even remember buying it. But I know many people enjoy it so this should be exciting news for some.

Oh excellent, thanks for posting. Something to look forward to/get through the year for!

Gorgeously animated trailer for The Night Is Grey by Whalestork Interactive. It's some of the best looking frame by frame animation I've seen an indie produce, let alone in adventure games. It's not just the motion either, the overall aesthetic is eerie as it is meticulously crafted. Could be a dream game, visually, if they managed to maintain this level of quality for all the interactions in the game.

Graham is alone in a forest filled with strange wolves. While he’s fleeing for his life he finds a lost girl in an abandoned lodge that won’t survive without his help. Try to find their way to safety in this game filled with puzzles, engaging dialogue and innovative storyline.
But watch out: not everything is what it seems.

A cinematic thriller told through the classic perspective of point & click adventure games,
The Night is Grey is about modern storytelling fused together with hand-drawn animated characters, fully animated backgrounds and an original studio recorded music score.

TRADITIONAL FRAME BY FRAME CHARACTER ANIMATION
12 frames per second animation of hand drawn original characters

DIGITALLY PAINTED ANIMATED BACKGROUNDS
Over 50 different locations with fully animated panoramic backgrounds

FULLY ORIGINAL AND ORCHESTRATED MUSIC SCORE
Original music score recorded in studio with real instruments

A COMEBACK FOR POINT & CLICK ADVENTURE GAMES
A cinematic thriller told through the classic perspective of point & click adventure games with puzzles solved through creativity and the exploration of sceneries and characters.

FOCUS ON ENGAGING STORYTELLING
A modern approach to a vintage game style with well written character dialogues and a plot filled with unexpected twists.

Purposely light on story details for the time being, according to the developer's website. I assume we'll get more of those details in the coming months, closer to the games 2021 release date (though a "when it's done" release seems more likely here, tbh). There's also some gorgeous looking screenshots of the game:
TNIG_PROMOART_01-scaled.jpg

TNIG_PROMOART_05-1-scaled.jpg

TNIG_PROMOART_04-1.jpg

TNIG_PROMOART_06-1-scaled.jpg

TNIG_PROMOART_02-1-scaled.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me the kind of gems you can find digging through the indie scene. Here's hoping the game will be as good as it looks.

Playing through Last Window: Secret of Cape West and having a great time despite rising anxiety due to the realization that I'm almost entirely out of CiNG games to play. Last Window is subtly hilarious. The first hour of the game is just out of work Kyle Hyde bumming around solving his fellow tenant's pedestrian concerns and eating cake to pass the time, stoic and noir as ever all the while. Things are picking up now but I'll kinda miss this slice of life Kyle game. Although I suppose it wouldn't be much of a game if the peak of excitement was solving a Cafe's novelty crossword puzzle.

Also having a lot of fun drawing Kyle in the notebook lol.
i1uh7Kl.jpg

The KickStarter project that has been 8 years in the making, SpaceVenture, has announced a (tentative) June release date. The update on their crowdfund page also includes some interviews with voice actors on the project.

Personally I had written off this project as abadonware, so it's good to see some life in it. Who knows if they'll actually hit the June date. It seems like they're already using some hedging language in this announcement. But I guess you have to temper your promises when the game you're working on has taken the better part of a decade to develop.

Will the game be any good? For the sake of Space Quest fans and the 10k + backers, I hope so. Anyone still looking forward to this project after all these years?

The gameplay footage I've seen looks great! I loooves Space Quest 5 back in the day. 10 years of polish can only mean good things I hope :p

Playing Technobabylon and am up to the restaurant. Quite good thus far. Really like the characters and the puzzles aren't too terribly difficult. Usually don't play adventure games, but I'm enjoying this.

really enjoyed this game. Like you say the puzzles were a bit on the easy side but the story was great and really pulled me in until the end

Gorgeously animated trailer for The Night Is Grey by Whalestork Interactive. It's some of the best looking frame by frame animation I've seen an indie produce, let alone in adventure games. It's not just the motion either, the overall aesthetic is eerie as it is meticulously crafted. Could be a dream game, visually, if they managed to maintain this level of quality for all the interactions in the game.

It never ceases to amaze me the kind of gems you can find digging through the indie scene. Here's hoping the game will be as good as it looks.

wow, great find. this looks so goddamn good.

Hey everyone, just a quick update for those that might be interested in Saint Kotar - our pre-launch Kickstarter page is now active! The Kickstarter campaign will be launched in May, with the exact date to be announced in a few weeks, and this way you can get notified the moment we launch the campaign.

That's it, enjoy your weekend, and if you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Count me in for the kickstarter, this looks cool and spoopy! The steam page says two character paths and decisions will affect the storyline - can you elaborate? is there gonna be e.g. significantly different endings?

thanks

I recently read through the Ringworld trilogy of sci-fi books and surprisingly found out there were two point and click adventure games made following on the plot.

I started playing the first - it's cool but the sound is heinously dated. Too many grating bleeps and bloops

the second one at least has voice acting. It's cool seeing the world of the books portrayed visually though.

iu

Last edited:
Striking visual style in the newly announced "Dordogne." The game's 3D watercolor aesthetic and expressive cartoon art style make for a really vibrant mix. From what the developers have written on their steam page Dordogne centers around two time periods wherein a woman/girl is remembering her recently deceased grandmother, who left her letters and puzzles behind. I'm interested in seeing how they've decided to tie the two time periods together in terms of gameplay.

-Welcome To Dordogne-
Dordogne is a narrative adventure game in which you play as Mimi, a 32-year-old woman visiting the house of her recently deceased grandmother. As a souvenir of the childhood summers Mimi spent with her in Dordogne, her grandmother left her letters and puzzles to solve, to remind her to make the most out of life.
In this colourful region, full of wonderful scents and feelings, Mimi will immerse herself back into her childhood memories, and see once again through the eyes of the little girl who marveled at everything.

-Description-
Dordogne is set both in the present and the past. In the present timeline, Mimi explores the rooms in her grandmother’s home. In the past timeline, you’ll help a 10-year-old Mimi explore Dordogne and complete her quests, affecting the present.

Along with the puzzles that both versions of Mimi will solve, you’ll collect photos, sounds, objects and words to create Mimi’s journal – keeping young Mimi’s memories of summers spent with her grandmother in Dordogne.

Add Dordogne to your wishlist to get notified of its release!

-Features-
A wholesome family story
Discover the close relationship between Mimi and her grandmother through touching and fun gameplay moments. We hope that these slices of life, from the most trivial to the most symbolic, can make you remember your own positive childhood memories.

Explore the beautiful Dordogne region
Through the quests of young Mimi, discover the beautiful environments of Dordogne. Faithfully adapted into watercolour, they’ll immerse you in this charming French region, so dear to Mimi. Forest walks, climbing, kayaking, cave explorations… Discover these typical activities of the region.

Puzzles and mysteries to progress in the story
While playing as Mimi in the present (as an adult) and in the past (as a child), you’ll need to be resourceful and patient to solve puzzles and mysteries left by her grandmother.

Craft Mimi’s journal
With pictures, sounds, objects and words that Mimi collects, let your creativity flow and create Mimi’s journal, unique to each playthrough. A truly symbolic object of a high sentimental value, it reflects Mimi’s adventures and memories of Dordogne, and the connection she shares with her grandmother

ss_9b7f1b53cc201ab8282887d5d510c03abe1ea928.1920x1080.jpg

ss_925b3f7562a7ee7938388ca6669b662e4d1737bc.1920x1080.jpg

---
The gameplay footage I've seen looks great! I loooves Space Quest 5 back in the day. 10 years of polish can only mean good things I hope :p

With any luck we'll find out sooner rather than later. Really hoping they can finally hit (one of) their deadline(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Striking visual style in the newly announced "Dordogne." The game's 3D watercolor aesthetic and expressive cartoon art style make for a really vibrant mix. From what the developers have written on their steam page Dordogne centers around two time periods wherein a woman/girl is remembering her recently deceased grandmother, who left her letters and puzzles behind. I'm interested in seeing how they've decided to tie the two time periods together in terms of gameplay.
Holy shit, this looks fantastic :messenger_open_mouth:

Count me in for the kickstarter, this looks cool and spoopy! The steam page says two character paths and decisions will affect the storyline - can you elaborate? is there gonna be e.g. significantly different endings?

thanks

Welcome aboard! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Your choices in the demo affect the way the story unfolds so we advise several playthroughs to see the difference. The full game will be based the same way, and yes, there will be two different endings!

Last edited:
A bunch of new preview coverage for Beyond a Steel Sky dropped today. It's from a new build where the press has finally gotten a look inside Union City. Past the outskirts which has been the focus of everything we've seen thus far. The consensus is that the game is still somewhat early on, needs polishing up (in terms of animation especially), but the writing, puzzles and general aesthetic are good.

Beyond A Steel Sky needs work, but it already has really great puzzles - Rock Paper Shotgun
I should say from the off that this was a very preview-y preview build. Beyond is currently sitting on Steam with a “coming soon” release date, and I hope they give themselves plenty of time before locking a firmer date in, because the animation in particular is clearly a work in progress. This game is 3D, with a distinctly Telltale or Borderlands kind of look (or, I suppose, those games have a distinctly kind of Beneath A Steel Sky look), which does make it more fun to run around the different areas. But it also means more can bugger itself up.

One character, a cheerful delivery driver, demonstrated tremendous thigh strength, requiring only that his chair be 6 foot away in any direction in order to take his ease in mid air. Others treat floor level as a general suggestion, rather than a hard rule. Fun as it is to watch Foster occasionally float across the floor instead of walking, I can’t put my hand on my heart and say that Beyond A Steel Sky is ready for it’s debut ball just yet.
But those (fairly substantial, I suppose) niggles aside, Beyond A Steel Sky did some very good things. The characters were fun and often genuinely funny, most especially the robots, who all have that curious quirk of being self-aware and having personality, which is a terrible thing for a creator to do to a robot. The puzzles were hard enough to be satisfying and make me feel like a smarty pants, but logical enough that I didn’t need to use the walkthrough provided for thicky journalists. Most importantly though, they were so imaginative that solving them wasn’t a chore – a means to an end, where the end is usually a further puzzle – but a joy in itself.
And not just that! The actual mechanical bits, the metaphorical turning of the jigsaw piece around to see where a piece fits, are just as good. One puzzle involves having to convince an interviewer (who looks like Waluigi would if they ever make a sequel to the Super Mario Bros. film) that you’re a dude called Graham, because you’ve stolen his identity. And since you might not know all the answers to all Waluigi’s questions, Graham’s wife stands off to one side, furiously pantomiming the right responses as best she can.

But the pièce de résistance is the scanning tool, which you get from a teenaged trader outside the city walls (after first luring a vicious carnivorous bird with some out-of-date sausages, natch). You can use it whenever you like, and it’ll give you access to automated systems so you can reconfigure their logic boards. In some cases that means turning a one-per-person vending machine into an unlimited fizzy drink dispenser, or turning on the sprinklers because the flowers outside really look parched. Other times it means patching into two or more systems at once and swapping things around, so a projection of a plant displays a tracking map instead.

It’s simple, and probably not revolutionary, but it feels so creative. It really seems like you’re doing something, you know? And while I can’t tell you how big the game will be, or if the rest of the world is as interactive and interesting as the three areas I got to run around in the demo, I can tell you I do really want to find out.

Beyond a Steel Sky hands-on - Adventure Gamers
Running around the Union City outskirts, I was struck by how high you could look up the intimidating walls, all the way to the cloudy sky overhead.

The new aesthetic plays right into Revolution's Virtual Theatre idea. First used in their games back in the '90s, it sees every character moving about with their own motivations and paths, which you'll need to manipulate to progress. The added flexibility afforded by 3D obviously is much better suited to this concept, in that there's much more space both vertically and horizontally for characters to roam around in. I didn't really find myself using this conceit for problem solving during the demo; instead it more meant I was often running after or trying to find characters to trigger a new branch of dialogue. But according to Charles, it will feed into puzzles more organically in other areas of Beyond, alongside making everything seem more open and alive.

One updated system for puzzling will see you able to hack into certain computers or devices (similar to LINC in Beneath) using a special scanner and swap “logic nodes” to pretty much make computers do as you wish. For example, if a bridge requires a type of key card or chip to allow you to pass, but you don't have that pass, you can swap the two blocks of “grant access” and “access denied” around, so that now NOT having a key card means you're allowed in. It's a really cool idea that I'm hoping gets used more in the full game as there were only a few simple examples of it in the demo. Fingers crossed this will add a new dimension to gameplay alongside dialogue and inventory solutions.
Another nice feature I noticed was a hint system, not dissimilar to the kind used by Revolution in the recent Broken Sword. It seems there'll be a “cool down” restriction, whereby after asking for one hint you'll have to wait at least two minutes before you can ask for the next one. It's a nice idea to encourage people to only turn to help when needed, while still offering the chance to solve the issue yourself without having the complete solution spelled out.

Everyone here will be voiced, and there's a large cast to meet in your first few encounters back in and around Union City, from Ember, a sassy scavenger; to Chipsworth, a robotic butler. Foster's voice actor (different from Beneath's CD-ROM version) lends the character some much needed grizzled gravitas thanks to all of his time spent out in the bush. Dialogue options (shown on-screen as text) will update themselves with a green arrow once you've unlocked something more to speak about; otherwise they’ll be highlighted in yellow for options relating directly to objectives, or blue for additional dialogue lines. The writing feels snappy for the most part, aside from one strange meeting with an Irish woman that came off as stilted and artificial – let's just say that Foster is best at leaving the comedy to others.

Beyond a Steel Sky is the narrative adventure fans have been waiting twenty-six years for - The Sixth Axis

The search for Milo quickly takes Foster back to the beginning of it all – Union City. In Beneath a Steel Sky, Foster left his robotic companion Joey behind to run the city, and he’d heard that everything was going swimmingly, but as you return, it feels as though something has gone a bit wrong along the way.

You’re stuck outside though, and you’re introduced to the wonderful batch of characters that hang around one of the city’s freighter entrances. There’s a pair of street urchins called Pixel and Voxel, the bungling technician Hobbsworth and a curmudgeonly sausage delivery guy called Wendell, all of whom are fully voiced. They’ve got bags of personality too, and Revolution have done an impressive job in bringing them all to life.
Once past the gates, you’re finally given a view of Union City. A futuristic cityscape of towering buildings linked by walkways and raised gardens, it’s an idealistic setup, but one that you seem destined to learn has corruption at its heart. The swelling Stargate SG-1 style music helps to solidify the journey into the city, and as a whole the aural soundscape is coming together perfectly, selling the setting, and the emotional beats as you explore.

Beyond-A-Steel-Sky-IL1.jpg

Beyond-a-Steel-Sky-IL2.jpg

beyond-a-steel-sky-preview-1.jpg

beyond-a-steel-sky-preview-5.jpg

BASS2_Screenshots-200327_014-1920x1080.jpg

BASS2_Screenshots-200327_004-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

protonion

Just saw a trailer for Guard Duty for PS4.
Anyone has played this? I really like how it looks. Straight from early nineties.

Just saw a trailer for Guard Duty for PS4.
Anyone has played this? I really like how it looks. Straight from early nineties.

I played Guard Duty and had fun with it. I'd say it's a solid title to go for especially if you really liked the Simon The Sorcerer games. Similar aesthetic visually and a similar style of British humor. The biggest downside is that one VA does a lot of the characters and he stretches himself too thin. It's not a game breaker, though. I know Fuz Fuz really enjoyed his time with it.

protonion

I played Guard Duty and had fun with it. I'd say it's a solid title to go for especially if you really liked the Simon The Sorcerer games. Similar aesthetic visually and a similar style of British humor. The biggest downside is that one VA does a lot of the characters and he stretches himself too thin. It's not a game breaker, though. I know Fuz Fuz really enjoyed his time with it.

Simon the Sorcerer was the first point and click I played on my Amiga 500 decades ago. I love that game!
I will give it a try then thanks.

Posting this here for people subbed to this thread who may have missed the thread I made for it earlier today. Gamespot put up a 23 minute gameplay video for Beyond A Steel Sky. It stands to reason that this is the same build from all the previews this week, so some of the visuals are still unfinished/placeholder. In particular with certain animations there's still polishing to be done but overall it's looking good.

With a few more months in the oven this could be one of Revolutions best, I think. I certainly hope so.

The comic book intro for Beyond A Steel Sky illustrated by Dave Gibbons (very early story spoilers, obviously). I think at this point it might be time for Foster to start heeding the warnings of tribal elders. They've got a startling accuracy rate for predicting imminent doom.

Last edited:
Demo for Utopia Syndrome is now available on steam. People might remember this game from last years thread. It's an isometric adventure with psychological horror themes, very reminiscent of Sanitarium. It's also drop dead gorgeous. I'm too busy atm to play through the entire demo but I booted it up and messed around for a bit. Really impressed with the atmosphere. I'm glad to see this game is making some real progress.

I should really play Beneath A Steel Sky sometime seeing as the sequel looks right up my alley.

Absolutely, you should. Never better a time with Beyond looming on the horizon and the game's free on GOG to boot. Without going into too much detail I was going through a rough situation earlier this week. Afterward, I actually found myself replaying Beneath a Steel Sky and the goofy moments in that game really helped me take my mind off things.

In any case, it's just generally a game worth playing. Especially if you'd like an idiosyncratic mix of humor and dark sci-fi.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely, you should. Never better a time with Beyond looming on the horizon and the game's free on GOG to boot. Without going into too much detail I was going through a rough situation earlier this week. Afterward, I actually found myself replaying Beneath a Steel Sky and the goofy moments in that game really helped me take my mind off things.

In any case, it's just generally a game worth playing. Especially if you'd like an idiosyncratic mix of humor and dark sci-fi.

Idiosyncratic humour and dark sci go? Yes please. Started last night and I’m now in the area after the furnace with a few locations to explore. Enjoying myself overall, early puzzles seems sensible, the dialogue is decent although timing is clearly impacted by the subtitles being the primary source and sometimes text and voice don’t match, but I’m not too bothered by that. Overall it’s looking like one I’ll probably end up giving a proper go.

Idiosyncratic humour and dark sci go? Yes please. Started last night and I’m now in the area after the furnace with a few locations to explore. Enjoying myself overall, early puzzles seems sensible, the dialogue is decent although timing is clearly impacted by the subtitles being the primary source and sometimes text and voice don’t match, but I’m not too bothered by that. Overall it’s looking like one I’ll probably end up giving a proper go.

Just an FYI you can decrease the pause between lines by increasing the game speed in the options.

dok1or

How is Goetia, by the way? I've sort of had it in the back of my head since I saw the perfect score it received from AdventureGamers but there's always so many games to play. Also, you ever play more of Beautiful Desolation?

Stoped with Beautiful Desolation... Started playing Doom Eternal and it stayed behind... But I will start from beggining...

Just starded Goetia; I got it back than in 2017 played small amount of time and than got new 21:9 monitor and started playing sometnihg else...
Great atmosphere and art! But it is hard!
Interesting game...

It is also available on Switch

Metamorphosis is an adventure game about a man-turned-bug - Destructoid
You know the one!

Metamorphosis is a strange but intriguing first-person adventure game about a man, Gregor, who has suddenly become a bug – a small, sticky-limbed, oh-so-squishable bug. It's not exactly an ideal fate.

Making matters worse, Gregor's friend was arrested "for reasons unknown," and he'll have to "journey through surrealist landscapes towards The Tower." I don't know what's lurking inside The Tower, but whenever there's a mysterious capital-T tower in a video game, nothing good can come from it.

Ovid Works, the Warsaw-based developer, is focused on filling out the small-scale world with "eccentric characters" and puzzles revolving around parkour, wall climbing, and searching for clues. Today's trailer is CGI, but that should start to paint a mental picture of how Metamorphosis will play. The Steam page also has a few environmental shots, one of which shows an insect soaking in a tub like Geralt.

If the premise sounds suspicious, the title – and the concept itself – are a nod to the Franz Kafka novella The Metamorphosis, which isn't everyday material for a video game adaptation. I'm into it.

Metamorphosis is aiming for a summer 2020 release on PC, Switch, PS4, and Xbox One.

Not much to see gameplay wise but it's an interesting and somewhat novel concept for a game. Very creepy vibe but in a compelling way. Always a little weird when you dont see any gameplay for a game that's supposedly a few months out, though.

GreenAlien

Just played The Suicide of Rachel Foster.
It combines the walkie-talkie conversations of Firewatch with the environment of Gone Home. Unfortunately it's not quite as charming as either of those two, but the story keeps me interested for now.

Edit: Finished it. I would recommend it for people who like walking simulators. Story and atmosphere are pretty good. It can be really creepy at times.

Last edited:

TripleSun

Found a free prologue for a game called A Space For The Unbound on Steam. The full game is still being developed. The retro artwork looks pretty polished. 15-20min of gameplay for the prologue. The full game's release date is TBA. Premise sounds interesting. You don't see too many PnC games set in rural Asia

Last edited:
Nice find TripleSun TripleSun , thanks for posting! I'll give that a go later tonight. Very charming look to the pixel art in that game, and nice colors.

Edit: Finished it. I would recommend it for people who like walking simulators. Story and atmosphere are pretty good. It can be really creepy at times.

Someday You'll Return seems to have a similarly atmospheric and creepy vibe. I'm pretty excited for that game and it's just a few days away. I'm glad it's got inventory, puzzles, etc too. Not that i'm staunchly opposed to walking sims but I do tend to drift from them after a few hours.

Found a free prologue for a game called A Space For The Unbound on Steam. The full game is still being developed. The retro artwork looks pretty polished. 15-20min of gameplay for the prologue. The full game's release date is TBA. Premise sounds interesting. You don't see too many PnC games set in rural Asia

I played that one! It's short but very interesting, it gives a nice glimpse into the world and the art style is quite nice. Overall it got me interested in the full game.

I finished Last Window: The Secret of Cape West yesterday and it's definitely another CiNG classic. The earnest and genuinely deep portrayals of human emotion is something that always floors me about their games. The characters feel a lot more like real people than in most other games. Which is definitely complimented by the expressive, rotoscoped art style. Gameplay wise they made some good improvements over Hotel Dusk. Last Window is always explicitly clear on where to go so there's less idle wandering than I remember in Hotel Dusk. The puzzles ramp up more sensibly, with some genuinely varied & challenging stuff in the game's final chapters. I really like the music box puzzle where you had to close the DS to stop the music box in the correct position, very clever. Some of the same issues CiNG games have always had still apply. All their games suffer from not being able to pick up inventory items until the plot deems them relevant. However, in Last Window you're usually limited to a confined space when puzzling so you rarely have to backtrack like mad to get an item you couldn't pick up beforehand.

Overall it was a fantastic game, and a tragically overlooked one like many of CiNG's little masterpieces. It's a much more personal story for Kyle Hyde this go-around and I think the narrative benefits from it. It's a shame the world will likely never get another Kyle Hyde adventure but Last Window is a good one to go out on.

qE3Orsp.jpg
fiMBtlo.jpg

This is an interesting behind the scenes video on the animation process used for the game:

It's kinda crazy to see the real human versions of these characters lol.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I loved Hotel Dusk and I don't remember a single detail about it.
2Rce3.gif

Just realized it's not the same as Last Window and I never played it. Might do in the future.

God, so many games. Not even the quarantine is helping me go through my backlog.

Last edited:
Charming 2D adventure called Lost in Play with animation resembling children's fantasy shows like Over The Garden Wall or Gravity Falls. The game is coming to mobile, switch and PC and being developed by Happy Juice Games. You play as a brother and sister who wind up a far way from home thus having to travel across various surreal locales to get back. Looks very interesting if you're in to the CN or Disney shows it's channeling.

We've also got what the developers, Caligari Games, describe as a "not so classic point-and-click adventure" called Whateverland. Which tells the story of a thief named Vincent who accidentally attempts to rob the wrong witch. Said witch promptly banishes him to the titular Whateverland which Vincent is eager to escape. The artwork feels like Fran Bow meets Dead Synchronicity, to me.

EW7i-k-XkAEAtqZ
EW7i-lZXQAIHWNP

EW7i-l_WoAA8B67
EW7jBa2WsAM1-Ro

Another recent find is the impressive passion project of mostly one man, Jeremy Fryc, who is making a game that feels quite Space Quest-y to me (despite the protagonist being somewhat of a ringer for Ben Throttle): Dexter Stardust. The plot (which you can read more about on the game's website) is exactly what you'd expect from a campy science fiction comedy and the high res art certainly has appeal imo. Dexter Stardust consists of 5 episodes that will be released simultaneously so I'm expecting fairly self contained goofy space stories.

Ganymede_Landing.png
TiedToTree.png

CrazyCarlHologram.png
TacoShackInSpace.png

And just to end this off with something weird, but pretty cool, here's Tobin's Tale. A "point and throw" adventure game where you toss verbs around at characters and the world to interact. I don't really know what the game that's being built around this mechanic is like but the WIP videos are fun to watch nontheless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom