• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2019 - The Liveliest Dead Genre There Ever Was

Fuz

Banned

New trailer for Meredith Gran's upcoming adventure game: Perfect Tides. I gotta say I'm basically loving everything about it. The late 90's nostalgia, introspective vibes and Meredith's indie comics art style gel together so well. Anyone who's read her comics knows the writing is gonna be too notch. There seem to be some Donnie Darko-ish supernatural elements too. So maybe 2D Life Is Strange sans cringe?

Awesome trailer. It's pushed back to 2020 but I'm not even mad. Hope it's as good as it looks.

Wow, this looks pretty cool.

2D Life Is Strange sans cringe
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Here's an interesting Sci-Fi adventure called Encodya. The promises to be something like Blade Runner by way of Studio Ghibli. Encodya is Italian film maker, Nicola Piovesan and Chaosmonger studio's (typically a film studio), first foray into game development. The visuals certainly reflect that. The game's got a lot of style. Encodya is also in the last leg of it's KickStarter campaign and fairly close to making it's final stretch goal, adding an additional hour of content into the game.

There's also a demo available and it's about 30 to 40 minutes long, give or take. I played it and enjoyed it quite a bit. The graphics were great and the puzzles were well done for the most part. There's a few too many 4th wall breaking meta jokes, though. Especially with a game that nails the atmosphere so well you sort of want it to take things a bit more seriously. Although, this is clearly an early demo for the KickStarter so I imagine some of that will change with the final product.

Alternatively you can watch a full playthrough of the demo on YouTube.

Here's another cool looking game that's worth keeping an eye on, Willy Morgan. Here we've got what looks to be a very traditional LucasArts inspired comedy adventure. It's got some appealing HD cartoon visuals. There isn't all that much to go on just yet but it seems like an unabashedly old-school, puzzle filed, adventure. Slated for a 2020 release.

Steam Page Description said:
Willy is at home. 10 years have passed since the mysterious disappearance of his father, the famous archaeologist Henry Morgan. Like every the day postman comes. But fate is lurking: in addition to the usual advertising flyers, a strange letter draws Willy’s attention. There’s no return address and the post date takes Willy back: July 25, 2008, the date of his father’s disappearance, the famous archeologist Henry Morgan.

Reading the letter, Willy is shocked to see Henry wrote it specifically to his son before going missing:
“If you receive this letter, it means that something went wrong and it’s up to you to finish what I started: go as fast as you can to Bone Town, at the old inn, room 09. Everything starts there, from the warmth of a friendly place.”
Bone Town is a name almost lost in Willy’s memory: the hometown of his father, the place where the whole family used to spend their holidays and where the famous archeologist was seen for the last time.

Willy Morgan is point and click adventure game that incorporates the traditional genre standards while adding modern technical innovations: a beautiful cartoon and deformed 3d graphic combines with a streamlined and straightforward game style, where the player is focused on solving linear and non-linear puzzles that will lead him to know Bone Town and its inhabitants, looking for clues leading to find out what happened to his father.

• Over 50 beautiful and very detailed Full HD locations.
  • 15 characters you can interact with.
  • A beautiful original soundtrack.
  • A great original story with many twists.
  • Cinematographic cutscenes.

Finally got that release date on Jenny Le Clue and it's September 19th! Holy cow, that is a hell of a lot sooner than I expected! A very anticipated game for me. I've been seeing it in development for so long. Can't believe it's out so soon.

So it wants to "compete" with Little Misfortune huh. It's a shame LM abandoned the point and click nature and went with sidescrolling. I kinda dislike that.

So it wants to "compete" with Little Misfortune huh. It's a shame LM abandoned the point and click nature and went with sidescrolling. I kinda dislike that.

Yeah, I noticed that too lol. Little Misfortune on Wednesday and Jenny on Thursday. I enjoyed the Little Misfortune demo a lot, it was a really charming light experience. Still, I'm looking forward to Jenny more. The detective mechanics and murder mystery aspect appeal to me more fundamentally. I definitely will be playing both, though. I'm really interested to the response to Little Misfortune as well. Since Fran Bow was such a big hit with streamers at the time. I wonder how many of those fans will take to Killmonday's new game.

What’s so Special in this game ?

Well for one it's got a fantastic look, imo, and a level of polish you don't too often see in indie adventures. I'd suggest checking out the trailers if you haven't. And for another thing it feels like it's supposed to have come out every year for the past 3 years. I've been following the game for a super long time now so it was pretty exciting that the first time they mention a firm date it's only two days away.

I also have a friend who's been anticipating Jenny LeClue as well so I know I'm gonna have a good time playing through it and chatting about the game with him.

So all in all a crazy week for adventures. Not only do we have Little Misfortune coming out today, as well as Jenny LeClue coming out tomorrow, but in addition to that yesterday A.I The Somnium Files released. Thankfully TripleSun TripleSun had mentioned the game in this thread earlier. So when I saw it on Steam I knew I had heard of it from somewhere. I didn't keep up with it too closely pre-release but I've since read some interviews and watched some videos. The game looks awesome -- totally off the wall -- and I'm definitely gonna get to it sometime soon/soon-ish.

I lol'd at this one part of the RPGsite interview with the game's director where he accidentally says his game is better than Policenauts then quickly corrects himself.
RPG Site: That was simple! Earlier you mentioned that the Somnium sections of the game are puzzles in the sense that you're investigating for clues - is that something more like the investigation sections in, say, Ace Attorney - or is it more like a middle ground between Remember11/Ever17 and Zero Escape?

Kotaro Uchikoshi: I wouldn't really compare it to the Ace Attorney series. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but it's more like a game from Hideo Kojima in the 90s, that was an adventure game...

RPG Site: Oh... Policenauts?

Kotaro Uchikoshi: *laughs* Yes! So it's like a modern, higher quality version of that - err, not to say higher quality but a more modern version of it!

The game at least seems way crazier than Policenauts, I'll give it that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I rarely see anyone talking about first Black Mirror and Ni-Bi-Ru from future games. Amazing adventure games and Black Mirror 1 is my fav (or maybe Syberia 1 it depends).
I also really liked 1st Tunguska secret files, Overclocked, Broken sword 1,2 and 3 (3 is great sorry!).
The classic 1st person Cyan games and Obduction were always unplayable for me. I loved the world and story but always got stuck. Obduciton was easier but also got so crazy with teleportation stuff later and my brain exploded.

And the secret (maybe not really an adventure game) favorite is Puzzle Agent 1 and 2. Love replaying these.
Other "not so adventure games really" titles that I loved are Walking Dead, Wolf Among us, firewatch and Gone Home.

Backlog still holds Gemini Rue and Gray Matter for years. I need to get to it one day...

Fuz

Banned
You guys ever heard of Dropsy (from 2015)? If not, check out the trailer below:

Just read about the game today for the first time in a reddit adventure forum and it looks pretty cool and unique. Reviews are mostly positive with Destructoid even rating the game 9.5 of 10. Looks like a very funny, positively weird classic Point'n'Click.

I played it. It's pretty good and super weird. Also quite challenging.

bravoguy

I simply love First Part of Black Mirror and also Ni Bi Ru too
Future games was an outstanding company it’s a shame it is now closed down
Black Mirror is my all time favourite PC adventure

I rarely see anyone talking about first Black Mirror and Ni-Bi-Ru from future games. Amazing adventure games and Black Mirror 1 is my fav (or maybe Syberia 1 it depends).
I also really liked 1st Tunguska secret files, Overclocked, Broken sword 1,2 and 3 (3 is great sorry!).
The classic 1st person Cyan games and Obduction were always unplayable for me. I loved the world and story but always got stuck. Obduciton was easier but also got so crazy with teleportation stuff later and my brain exploded.

And the secret (maybe not really an adventure game) favorite is Puzzle Agent 1 and 2. Love replaying these.
Other "not so adventure games really" titles that I loved are Walking Dead, Wolf Among us, firewatch and Gone Home.

Backlog still holds Gemini Rue and Gray Matter for years. I need to get to it one day...

...and Jenny LeClue is out as well!

Yes it is, I've been playing through it and long story short: it's fantastic. (Apologies frogmeetsdog frogmeetsdog I will get to ToonStruck next ':D) Presentation is thru the roof and it's got that perfect "all ages charm" like a Pixar movie. Jenny is a great character, among several, and I can already see the effects of my choices playing out a lot more strongly than many other adventure games with branching. I decided to be "very mean" to that group of girls who were teasing me and I'm getting some scenes/dialogue I imagine would go differently had I not.

I hope the deductions and contextual puzzles begin to ramp up a little bit. I'm not sure how far I am into the game. Stuff is still getting set up. Perhaps approaching the middle? (I'm currently doing the motor boat maze section) It does feel like they're beginning to ramp up so we'll see. There's definitely still a lot of mystery yet to uncover.

But yeah this is looking like a super big recommend. Jenny LeClue is on track to be one of my favorite games this year.

New adventure game from the Snipperclips devs. A murder mystery with some interesting puzzle mechanics. Going to keep my eye out on this one as I love a good murder mystery. Out now on Apple Arcade and coming out for Switch and PC October 10th!

Tangle-Tower_09-19-19.jpg
Tangle-Tower_2019_09-19-19_002.png
Tangle-Tower_2019_09-19-19_006_600.jpg
Tangle-Tower_2019_09-19-19_010_600.jpg

Tangle Tower - Announcement Trailer
Tangle Tower - Announcement Gameplay

Overview from Steam page:
Unravel a thrilling mystery by exploring a strange and twisted mansion, discovering curious clues, interrogating peculiar suspects and solving unique puzzles.
Freya Fellow has been murdered. The lead suspect? A shadowy figure found looming over her body, wielding a knife. The problem? That suspect… is just a painting.
Investigate the entirety of Tangle Tower, from the bizarre and eerie gardens, to the cold and ominous crime scene at the very top.
Will you be able to uncover the secrets of Tangle Tower?
Key Features
  • A fully voiced and animated cast of characters.
  • Atmospheric original orchestral soundtrack.
  • Beautiful digitally painted environments to explore.

Last edited:
Should we still be expecting spaceventure or is that game vaporware?
So many people are asking themselves the same question. As ViT said, the devs said they‘re still working on it but if you look at their Kickstarter most backers have gotten pretty cynical and lost faith.

There are always some updates reporting on little to none progress. The last of the 120 (!) updates about 4 months ago talks about finally having finished the box of the game for example. Not very important news, considering this just matters for a few backers and other people (plus is for a game that was planned for release Feb 2013).

My 10 cents: They‘ve used up their funding long ago but a few people are still working on it at snail pace. I guess there‘s still a chance it‘ll be released one of these days but I wouldn‘t bet much on it.

Last edited:
New adventure game from the Snipperclips devs. A murder mystery with some interesting puzzle mechanics. Going to keep my eye out on this one as I love a good murder mystery. Out now on Apple Arcade and coming out for Switch and PC October 10th!

Tangle-Tower_09-19-19.jpg
Tangle-Tower_2019_09-19-19_002.png
Tangle-Tower_2019_09-19-19_006_600.jpg
Tangle-Tower_2019_09-19-19_010_600.jpg

Tangle Tower - Announcement Trailer
Tangle Tower - Announcement Gameplay

Overview from Steam page:
Thanks for the tip!

Just upgraded to iPadOS. Usually I never upgraded because of jailbreak.

But those arent‘t what they used to be (plus luckily Apple has already added a lot of features once only available for jailbroken devices to stock) and Apple Arcade was especially worth the upgrade. Only $4,99 per month for already over 70 full-blown games now. Everything completely premium without any iAP. This is such a steal and there are quite a few amazing titles already in the catalogue - With more coming.

Gaming on mobile had gotten so bland lately (after many years of great adventures having been made for or been ported to iOS), I hardly ever used my iPad for gaming anymore. But AA is such an amazing beast. Hope it‘s going to be a success!

Last edited:

TripleSun

I don't know if you've all seen the new adventure game to debut on Kickstarter, but it has some mad Indiana Jones vibes. I'm loving what I'm seeing. Hopefully they can get the people they need to polish off the English translation as some early images need some work. I also like the 9 verb system they decided to use. Sadly it has only 8 days left and its at $798 of a $38k+ goal...

Fuz

Banned
Ah! This totally a ripoff of Indy. Which is actually a good thing. I love the nine verb interface, it's by far the best for P&C.
Sadly, I don't think it's gonna get funded.

Yeah that's totally Indy & Sophia. It looks good but unfortunately it's definitely not gonna get funded. IDK how or where the devs were promoting their KS campaign but I haven't seen the game anywhere. Comparatively, Theropods was out there hustling hard on twitter and reddit. In any case, I hope the game can still be made somehow. Always cool too see a new 9 Verb game.

In other, depressing news, Frogwares is being fucked with by their publisher Focus Home Interactive. As a result a significant amount of their back catalog is coming down from various store fronts (Steam, Xbox, etc). Obviously Frogwares is a small studio that needs all the incoming revenue they can get so losing those games is a big deal.

Hopefully if they get enough eyes on their message Focus will feel some pressure to do the right thing.

TripleSun

That is so heartbreaking to hear.. That makes me sick to my stomach. I really hope the pushback is enough to warrant a reversal.

I see Jim Sterling has already made a video on it. Anything helps at this point. Really hope they contact a good video game lawyer on this one.

It's slimy how they are basically strangling the IP so no one can benefit

Last edited:
I finished Jenny LeClue and it is a fantastic game. It's one of my games of the year, personally. Loved the visual style, loved the writing, all the characters and the setting of Arthurton. The way the game sets up the two (technically 3) tiered mystery, and really takes its time with it, is exactly the kind of world building I love. And it's all wrapped up in a thoroughly charming all-ages style game. Which makes it perfect for kids, you typically don't get this kind of depth of narrative in a child appropriate game. If you've got a family this one could be a winner provided your kid likes detective stories.

On the gameplay front there's a wide variety of different puzzle styles and all of them are mild on the challenge. Some are clever and fun to solve and I consistently liked making the deductions. My favorite were the ones that had some special gimmick to them. Like rocking the platform loose or getting the crows to snap that tree. They get harder at the end, too, but it's still nothing too crazy. Also some of the puzzle types get reused a smidge too often.

But yeah, overall, love the game. Ends on a vicious cliffhanger, too. Which kind of really sucks because this game took like 5 years to finish. Hopefully they can get the next one done a bit quicker.

That is so heartbreaking to hear.. That makes me sick to my stomach. I really hope the pushback is enough to warrant a reversal.

I see Jim Sterling has already made a video on it. Anything helps at this point. Really hope they contact a good video game lawyer on this one.

It's slimy how they are basically strangling the IP so no one can benefit
This greed shown by the "publisher" is nothing short of disgusting. Only punishes the gamers and a capable developer. This business seems to be such a snake pit sometimes as long as you aren't an AAA dev. Especially smaller firms often have to work very hard to meet deadlines (crunch time) and are still dependable on rotten publishers like this who treat them like cr@p even though they do 95% of the work.

It's Frogware's IP for god's sake - I just hope they get what's due to them asap.

Last edited:
Very interesting Beyond A Steel Sky Preview from Kotaku UK. They're elucidating some of the practical applications of the Virtual Theater system more clearly than before and honestly it sounds pretty fucking cool.

“Virtual Theatre isn’t an engine, it's a philosophy,” says Cecil. “And the core philosophy is that instead of a world that is basically static, and it's waiting for the player to come and disrupt it, this is a dynamic world with dynamic characters.”

The opening demo, located just outside Union City, gives a good idea of how these ‘open arenas’ work. Here Foster is trying to find a way to get into Union City, but to do that means figuring out the motivations of the other characters sharing this arena. No one is just a bit-part rooted to the spot, churning out the same old lines: each character has their own requirements, desires, and motivations, even if it’s as simple as some birds trying to scavenge food.

There’s a bit of that elementary old-school adventure principle where you just need to find the right item to please a character after which they'll help you: here there's a trucker who will smuggle you in once you can find a replacement battery for his van (he depleted it using the air-conditioning and a tequila-making machine: this dystopia certainly seems to have its benefits). But there’s also more dynamic solutions that don’t just require figuring out obtuse uses of an item, and some puzzles have multiple solutions.

Part of this comes through LINC hacking, which allows you to mess with the logic of various systems so, for instance, if you’re not given permission to enter an area without producing the relevant ID, you just need to break into the system and swap the outcomes, so that it will let in someone without ID (and deny access to those with the correct ID).

You’ll also see elements of the 'virtual theatre' concept and LINC hacking combine. In the above case of a vehicle battery, you can nick one from a nearby robot who’s responsible for maintenance of the conveyor belt delivering crates. Messing with the conveyor belt speed will send the next crate flying out rather than landing on the pressure pad as it should, prompting the robot to investigate, whereupon it steps on a pressure pad, gets lifted up by a magnet, and you can swipe the battery as it hangs helpless. But you could also just time the crate's exit, send it shooting off the conveyor belt straight into the robot, and take the battery from its now-prone form.

Beyond evidently takes in some modern influences, but there’s other areas in narrative adventure that Cecil is less keen to incorporate. He says he's a fan of Telltale Games, which you get a sense of that from Beyond’s visual style, but he also finds the emphasis on narrative choices a little too frustrating.

Beyond will have just one canonical ending, though what Cecil is more interested in is how our nuances and perception of it can change. He elaborates: “For example, Foster discovers fairly early on that he's taken the ID of a dead man. Later he meets his wife, and it turns out that the dead man and the wife once loved each other, but she now thinks he's a total loser. As you play the game, you discover that actually he was a real hero. Do you take the time to convince her that actually he was a hero? Or do you continue and just let her believe that he's a loser? This wife then actually becomes a really critical part of the ending. The nuances around it are affected by the choices the player makes within the game, the moral choices.”

The dynamic puzzle solutions with LINC hacking and Virtual Theater make a lot more sense to me after they've given that example with the robot. It seems like they could make a lot of memorable different puzzles and scenarios using the systems they've got in place. So I like the look, I like the gameplay ideas. If the writing is solid and they clean up some of those animations (which they already are if you compare early trailers to the new ones) I think this will be a winner.

I finished Jenny LeClue and it is a fantastic game. It's one of my games of the year, personally. Loved the visual style, loved the writing, all the characters and the setting of Arthurton. The way the game sets up the two (technically 3) tiered mystery, and really takes its time with it, is exactly the kind of world building I love. And it's all wrapped up in a thoroughly charming all-ages style game. Which makes it perfect for kids, you typically don't get this kind of depth of narrative in a child appropriate game. If you've got a family this one could be a winner provided your kid likes detective stories.

On the gameplay front there's a wide variety of different puzzle styles and all of them are mild on the challenge. Some are clever and fun to solve and I consistently liked making the deductions. My favorite were the ones that had some special gimmick to them. Like rocking the platform loose or getting the crows to snap that tree. They get harder at the end, too, but it's still nothing too crazy. Also some of the puzzle types get reused a smidge too often.

But yeah, overall, love the game. Ends on a vicious cliffhanger, too. Which kind of really sucks because this game took like 5 years to finish. Hopefully they can get the next one done a bit quicker.
Oh man, don't like the sound of this cliffhanger business. Just started the game on Apple Arcade and am at the lake, when Jenny gets her "big" case
missing glasses

Do puzzles get a bit more demanding later in the game?

Oh man, don't like the sound of this cliffhanger business. Just started the game on Apple Arcade and am at the lake, when Jenny gets her "big" case
missing glasses

Do puzzles get a bit more demanding later in the game?

I'd say the final 3 hours of the game become more challenging. (Not really a spoiler but just in case you don't want to know locations) Once you get to the graveyard. But it's still nothing an experienced adventure fan will have any trouble with. There's a couple puzzles that have some gimmick to them and those can stump you for like half a second while you figure it out. It's more of the "oh that was pretty clever" type of satisfaction not that "holy shit I feel like a genius" type.

So yeah, I think they could have turned up the heat a little bit but there's still some fun to be had on that front.

Very interesting Beyond A Steel Sky Preview from Kotaku UK. They're elucidating some of the practical applications of the Virtual Theater system more clearly than before and honestly it sounds pretty fucking cool.

The dynamic puzzle solutions with LINC hacking and Virtual Theater make a lot more sense to me after they've given that example with the robot. It seems like they could make a lot of memorable different puzzles and scenarios using the systems they've got in place. So I like the look, I like the gameplay ideas. If the writing is solid and they clean up some of those animations (which they already are if you compare early trailers to the new ones) I think this will be a winner.
Just wanted to say something similar regarding BtSS. Looking very much forward to it, especially as it's also coming to Apple Arcade. Game looks pretty cool and really hope they'll be able to deliver on their plan to not just rely on narrative and choices too much. If there'll be some meaty puzzles too, the title could become one of this year's best adventures. At least hoping this year: Any idea on the release date? 2019 still in the cards?

Last edited:
frogmeetsdog frogmeetsdog From the preview it seems like Charles is fully committed to making cool puzzles. At least he says as much, himself, in the Kotaku UK preview.

Beyond evidently takes in some modern influences, but there’s other areas in narrative adventure that Cecil is less keen to incorporate. He says he's a fan of Telltale Games, which you get a sense of that from Beyond’s visual style, but he also finds the emphasis on narrative choices a little too frustrating.

“Maybe it's because of my age, but I want more challenge, I want to feel that I'm driving the narrative through my own progression, rather than just making choices,” Cecil says. “Telltale were moving much more towards just interactive movies, where you have some sort of control. But it was quite clear that they were diamond shapes that very much came back very quickly to the same point. I always think the idea of writing multiple endings is very ill-founded.”

As far as a release date I've put down "Winter 2019" in the OP list although that is tentative. According to this article: BEYOND A STEEL SKY RELEASING WINTER 2019, SAYS CHARLES CECIL. Charles is saying 2019 right now but he's absolutely willing to push it back to early 2020 if they need the time.

GameWatcher said:
According to Charles Cecil, CEO of Revolution Games, Beyond a Steel Sky is aiming for winter 2019 release date, which is a more optimistic take than we initially expected.

"The release date," said Cecil, performing an air quote maneuver, "we'll say winter." With the caveat that the game may well release early in 2020, should development stretch out a bit.

According to Cecil, Beyond a Steel Sky will definitely release either late this year, or sometime early in 2020. Since he specifically said 'winter', we're guessing this means December or January, eventually February, should push come to shove.

Cecil has also said that they've finished the design stage completely and right now they're polishing and testing. But you know how it goes with game dev, unexpected problems can always emerge.

TripleSun

This greed shown by the "publisher" is nothing short of disgusting. Only punishes the gamers and a capable developer. This business seems to be such a snake pit sometimes as long as you aren't an AAA dev. Especially smaller firms often have to work very hard to meet deadlines (crunch time) and are still dependable on rotten publishers like this who treat them like cr@p even though they do 95% of the work.

It's Frogware's IP for god's sake - I just hope they get what's due to them asap.

And the hilariously sad thing is that Focus Home has up until now been an amazing AA sphere publisher.

I seriously love their publishing catalog but damn this whole mess is so sad. It seems the games are still up on Steam, so not sure how things are going. They said they would be going down on the 29th for Crimes & Punishment.

And the hilariously sad thing is that Focus Home has up until now been an amazing AA sphere publisher.

I seriously love their publishing catalog but damn this whole mess is so sad. It seems the games are still up on Steam, so not sure how things are going. They said they would be going down on the 29th for Crimes & Punishment.
You're right, just checked and as of now C & P is online on Steam. Magrunner: Dark Pulse and Testament of Sherlock Holmes still seem to be down on the PS3 store though (at least looks like that after having done a cursory search on PC). Didn't check XBox 360 yet.

It's a bit weird, when googling Testament, the US Playstation store has "Atlus U.S.A. Inc" as publisher and TBC as dev but the buy button still only leads to "unable to find this page". Testament on the UK store on the other hand is only left with a wishlist button anymore. For Magware: Dark Pulse the buy button also only leads to a similar error page. Pretty sad.

But at least there seems to be a glimmer of hope as C & P hasn't been put down yet. Hopefully the publisher has come to its senses after Frogware had gone public.

Last edited:

TripleSun

Maybe they didn’t touch the PC sales for some reason or other. Hmm

In other news, looks like The Bradwell Conspiracy is debuting soon on the 8th of this month. Looks interesting. Never paid much attention to it until now. They announced the release date pretty close to the day.

Some cool looking games and one that I was totally unaware of. Has anyone heard of Argonus and the Gods of Stone? Apparently it's some epic ancient Greek adventure from the creators of Shadowgate. Had no idea they were still making games but, hey, that's pretty cool.

TripleSun

Nice, thanks for the video. I would like to see videos like those every month because there are always hidden gems that get past us.

I gotta say Moons of Madness seems really cool. Horror games always look amazing but I'm such a wuss when it comes to them. I always wanted to play Evil Within, Dead Space etc but never worked up the courage. That trailer for Moons got scarier as it went along. I love space games, but not sure I can handle playing that one haha. Scariest game I could actually play from start to finish was The Last of Us and that's not really a horror game. Looks like a game where players will do a lot of hiding.

One game on that list I've been patiently waiting for is Simulacra 2, though. Loved the first game and heard the second one will be much more fleshed out and longer.

Looking forward to play SOTTR even though these series are obviously stupid. But these games somehow keep me interested all the time

RAIDEN1

What's the best way to play DiscWorld and Beneath a Steel Sky CD edition on (near current) PC's? ie for Windows 8.1 users?

Maybe they didn’t touch the PC sales for some reason or other. Hmm

In other news, looks like The Bradwell Conspiracy is debuting soon on the 8th of this month. Looks interesting. Never paid much attention to it until now. They announced the release date pretty close to the day.

Another Apple Arcade game. I can't stress enough how much value one gets here for a measely 4,99 per month. Most importantly, quite a few AAA adventure titles have either already come or are coming to the service soon.

Never ever thought I'll promote anything from Apple but well, here we are :) Everybody with an iPhonePadPod should seriously consider signing up (first month is a free trial)

Apple is bringing a lot of full premium games to your device for an absolute bargain and in the process their service is trying to be a stronghold for a catalogue full of quality "pay once, play as much as you want" titles as opposed to all the Clash Of Clans, Forge of Empires, Angry Birds etc f2p cr@p out there whose main objective isn't fun but to pick as much cash from the player's pocket as possible.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Funnily enough I remember when Lure Of The Temptress came out much of the preview material at the time eluded to a similar thing from their Virtual Theatre system (and yes, I'm old). It sounded incredibly exciting at the time but in hindsight it's more likely that it would just mean a character not being easy to find.

Funnily enough I remember when Lure Of The Temptress came out much of the preview material at the time eluded to a similar thing from their Virtual Theatre system (and yes, I'm old). It sounded incredibly exciting at the time but in hindsight it's more likely that it would just mean a character not being easy to find.

Charles Cecil actually mentions that very same drawback in this (fairly) recent Gamereactor interview from Gamescom. He mentions that with VT in the old game it effectively meant a character is just either on or off screen but now that they're working in 3D, and with their new approach to level design, the concept can work as intended (presumably).

The coolest bit they've mentioned in the previews, to me, is the dynamic puzzle solutions. The part where you can either trap the robot or shoot a box off the conveyor belt with LINC hacking sounds genuinely cool. Depending on how creative they get with it I could see myself doing multiple runs trying to find all the different solutions.

Charles Cecil is certainly talking big with the "push the genre forward stuff." He even has a panel at EGX named "Redefining the Rules of Adventure Writing: How Beyond a Steel Sky is Breaking New Ground." Which I'll probably catch when it livestreams on Twitch.

Yes but the one on GOG is the non-CD edition...so thats a non-starter..at least in the sense that the music isn't exactly Red-Book Audio...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Just assumed it was that it was the CD version since it has voice acting and such. If that's the case I don't think the CD version is commercially available. But if you can get it from some other site It should run in SCUMMVM just the same.

RAIDEN1

Charles Cecil actually mentions that very same drawback in this (fairly) recent Gamereactor interview from Gamescom. He mentions that with VT in the old game it effectively meant a character is just either on or off screen but now that they're working in 3D, and with their new approach to level design, the concept can work as intended (presumably).

The coolest bit they've mentioned in the previews, to me, is the dynamic puzzle solutions. The part where you can either trap the robot or shoot a box off the conveyor belt with LINC hacking sounds genuinely cool. Depending on how creative they get with it I could see myself doing multiple runs trying to find all the different solutions.

Charles Cecil is certainly talking big with the "push the genre forward stuff." He even has a panel at EGX named "Redefining the Rules of Adventure Writing: How Beyond a Steel Sky is Breaking New Ground." Which I'll probably catch when it livestreams on Twitch.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Just assumed it was that it was the CD version since it has voice acting and such. If that's the case I don't think the CD version is commercially available. But if you can get it from some other site It should run in SCUMMVM just the same.
Yeah sorted it out, finally got the game to a state as it was meant to be played!!

RAIDEN1

So what are the main differences between the CD version and the one up on GOG? Might have to check that out if there's better sound quality.
Purely from an audio perspective, in the GOG version yeah you had the speech, but the music and sound effects were as if you were playing the floppy disk version! I played it through ScummVM instead of through GOG, you might not get access to the comic book this way but the game is where it is at....(I imported the CD quality audio tracks into the beneath a steel sky folder so it would pick up the new audio files that way..)

Last edited:
Top Bottom