• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2019 - The Liveliest Dead Genre There Ever Was

TripleSun

Seems this newsletter was put out from Frogwares about the whole debacle

Seems we were right, they were able to retain Crimes & Punishment on Steam and GoG but the console listings were permanently removed. They are trying to get those listings back. They said it could take several months if everything goes according to plan.

So sad that they even have to go through this nightmare in the first place. Hopefully in the future people think twice about using Focus Home as their publisher.

Also here's a quote from the newsletter:

"Downloads of the free digital booklet highlighting memories, stories and art throughout the various Sherlock games developed by the studio can be obtained via:

I guess it's for all the support they've received from fans about the situation. Very nice of them

Last edited:
United Label began putting out a developer diary series for Roki. Fairly interesting background info and a lot of fantastic looking art, especially for such a small team.

Roki continues to be one of the cooler looking in development adventures, imo. I love the look of the environments, characters and creatures. They've been pretty close to the vest with pre release media and was feeling somewhat sketchy about that winter 2019 release date. Thankfully they're showing off some more, now, and it's looking super clean. Didn't even know there was gonna be VA but, hey, that's awesome.

Neat trailer for indie horror adventure game: Purgatory. There's a lot of pixel art retro games these days but the developers for Purgatory have said they're specifically going for a "Gameboy" feel. Or rather a "Gameboy with updated lighting and Vfx" feel. In any case, I do think it stands out somewhat. I also dig the character designs. According to the steam page the game will be released "when you least expect it"

Last edited:
New game from Amanita Design (Machinarium, Samorost, CHUCHEL). As with many of their games, it looks like a neat and novel concept. Apparently it's expanding on a one off gameplay sequence in Samorost 3. Good to see them still working in the genre as they're simultaneously developing their first non-adventure game: Creaks. Which looks like a rad puzzle-platformer in its own right.

YouTube Description said:
Play now with Apple Arcade: https://apple.co/-Pilgrims Buy for PC/Mac/Linux: https://amanita-design.net/games/pilg... Coming soon to Steam, GOG, Humble Store and Itch.io.

Pilgrims is a playful adventure game, created by the team behind Machinarium and Samorost. Roam the land as you please and make new friends, share a laugh with your fellow travelers and help them complete their little stories, your way. How many different solutions can you find?

Newly announced post apocalyptic, isometric adventure game called "Rauniot" from Finnish game developer Act Normal Games. The style seems similar to games from The Brotherhood like Cayne, Stasis and the upcoming Beautiful Desolation. As well as Utopia Syndrome, which I posted about a while back. The running theme with all these isometric adventures seems to be that they're drop dead gorgeous. Details are somewhat sparse for Rauniot right now but I'm already very into the atmosphere evoked in these shots and like the look of the protagonist.

rauniot_1.png

rauniot_2.png

rauniot_3.png

rauniot_4.png

rauniot_6.png

rauniot_7.png

Steam Page said:
Rauniot is an isometric post-apocalyptic point and click adventure game full of intriguing puzzles with classic gameplay elements. Story takes place to beautiful and detailed environments in Northern Finland.

Official Website said:
In year 1975 massive nature catastrophe pushed civilization over the edge.

Riots, massive conflicts and wars occurred. Once so glorious and powerful human race really lost it good.

Main continents were drowned by seas. Heavy amounts of pollution spread around from collapsed nuclear power plants and -warheads. Not many survived from those deadly times.

Children born mutated or dead taking their mothers with them. Fathers walking alone in bitterness and sorrow driven to cannibalism as food resources slowly ran out. In this sad new world nature and man are trying to survive and find balance.

Still some individuals manage to trust one another just enough to establish groups providing protection, food, clean water, medicine, electricity and knowledge for better life.

Aino is one of those lucky ones to be part of a group. But it can be one hard job in this world. Giving everything you’ve got in dangerous journeys and tasks prevents one to be isolated.

Act Normal Games Website
Rauniot Website
Steam Page

New game from Amanita Design (Machinarium, Samorost, CHUCHEL). As with many of their games, it looks like a neat and novel concept. Apparently it's expanding on a one off gameplay sequence in Samorost 3. Good to see them still working in the genre as they're simultaneously developing their first non-adventure game: Creaks. Which looks like a rad puzzle-platformer in its own right.

Great catch. Downloaded it to my Apple Arcade account as soon as I read your post and Pilgrims certainly is a lot of fun. The game design is novel plus intriguing and that‘s coming from someone who usually isn‘t the biggest fan of Amanita‘s games (Machinarium certainly isn‘t bad and I get why it was a hit for a lot of ppl but I - at least for the most part - just need my dialogue. Couldn‘t stand Samorost 3 though while I thought Chuchel to be ok but nothing to write home about)

This game though, well, can’t exactly put my finger on it, but it has a lot of charm. Only pity is that it‘s over much too quickly (45 mins to 1h 30 mins MAX) and even though there is a little replay value by earning all of the 45 achievements the game could‘ve become a personal PnC GOTY contender if there‘d been at least triple the content of what there is now.

Getting why this was released for AA though. Considering the current App Store athmosphere people would already complain if this had been a standalone title for just 99c.

Last edited:
Rather bad rviews for Bradwell Conspiracy on Apple Arcade so far. Regarding the available PnCs there’s definitely room for improvement in the catalogue: Jenny LeClue is fun but nothing groundbreaking for now. Personally, Tangle Tower and Murder Mystery Machine rather have turned out to be disappointments so far (out of different reasons).

Don‘t get me wrong, there are still plenty of good to great games on AA and it continues to be a steal - But hope they‘ll step up their game with the PnC genre. Especially in that regard, I can‚‘t wait for Beyond the Steel Sky.

Reactions: Fuz
3 Minutes to Midnight launched a KickStarter for their game. Fairly lofty goal of just under 60k but a solid start as they've already got 5k and 100+ backers at the time of this post. frogmeetsdog frogmeetsdog I know you've had your eye on this game. You might also be interested to know they're stating a forthright intention of including tons of puzzles and challenging ones at that.

It also boasts droves of items—each with its own customized description and special role—to use in the game’s complex, challenging, and enthralling puzzles.
  • Puzzles up the wazoo
Everyone knows that puzzles can make or break an adventure game. (Cat hair mustaches, anyone?) After all, most of the challenge comes from figuring out solutions to these convoluted problems. What’s worse than puzzles that are too hard or too easy, though? Having to solve the same kind of puzzle over and over until you feel like eating your controller out of frustration.

That’s why we’ve made a special effort to vary the types of puzzles in 3 Minutes to Midnight. You may need to talk to other people in town to figure out an answer—or to get yourself out of a real mess. Some puzzles are progressive, meaning one decision early in the game could dramatically influence how you find answers. The environment may hold clues, but you might also have to rely on your own inherent knowledge.

With over 1000 interactable objects and the largest script in point-and-click history, players will be able to use their creativity to figure out many different solutions. In turn, these decisions can influence the outcome of the game and affect which ending the player sees. When we say this game can be replayed, we’re really not kidding!

I know this is something that a fair few recent games have been lacking for you. So, there you go, at least in terms of what they're saying this game should have your back.

So, kind of a weird story... But also pretty cool? Maybe? If it works out? Evidently a previously unknown indie studio named NineZyme Entertainment is making a new Laura Bow game. Which is cool, because despite me only having played the Colonel's Bequest about half way and admiring the Dagger of Amon Ra from afar, I really like Laura Bow. Here's the thing, though, NineZyme Entertainment doesn't strictly speaking have the rights to make the game. Activision is the current rights holder and NineZyme is kinda just winging it hoping to eventually get their approval. So aside from the sneaking suspicion that there's no way this game is actually happening, it seems pretty cool. It's called Laura Bow & The Mechanical Codex. They're shooting for a 2022 release date.

Laura Bow & The Mechanical Codex Official Website
Adventure Gamers article with some more information.
Art Station page with concept pieces for the game.

EAFqq5MXkAUrWrP

Website Description said:
LAURA IS BACK!
IN AN ALL NEW ADVENTURE.

After a mysterious package arrives at the offices of The New York Daily News Tribune, an unlikely chain of events sends Laura Bow off on the biggest story that the little newspaper has ever seen.

A long journey, an elaborate event, a life changing invention, and many dangerous motives for murder...

ABOUT US
NineZyme Entertainment is an independent game developer with a passion for story telling and deeply interactive experiences. We are an entirely remote team of talented individuals, spread across 3 continents and 7 countries - each with our own unique visions and skills to contribute to the projects we create. We believe that this diversity and freedom helps us see the development process in a new light and design products using a more concise and forward thinking approach - leading to overall better experiences.

I like the look of the artwork (although Laura does look a bit young) and respect the teams guts. Hopefully this gambit pays off in there favor because it's not like anyone else is gonna do something with the series.

Fuz

Banned
Never played any Laura Bow, they sounded super cool and I always wanted to play them but they ended up in the "I'll play it later" then the "forgotten" mind folders.

Anyway. I don't like the cartoony art style chosen. In any case, I don't think this has a chance to happen.

Last edited:

TripleSun

The only reason I never touched the Laura Bow games were the comments about how you could miss things if you weren’t there at just the right time and it would mess things up

Never played any Laura Bow, they sounded super cool and I always wanted to play them but they ended up in the "I'll play it later" then the "forgotten" mind folders.

Anyway. I don't like the cartoony art style chosen. In any case, I don't think this has a chance to happen.

Yeah, almost definitely. There's about a million ways the project is screwed. I'm actually kinda surprised they haven't been C&D'd already considering they contacted Activision. Probably should have gone the spiritual successor route like Crimson Diamond.

The only reason I never touched the Laura Bow games were the comments about how you could miss things if you weren’t there at just the right time and it would mess things up

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's how it works in the first game but from what I can recall it actually wasn't too bad. I don't think there are actually very many of those events you can miss. I'll play through them both one day.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Back in the day I desperately wanted to play The Colonel's Bequest - it looked so good in the adverts though weirdly I never saw a review in ST Format - maybe I missed it in the tiny number of issues I didn't buy. I looked at it more recently and it looked like ass (and I'm pretty tolerant of old games - I still fire up ST and Amiga games fairly frequently). That new art style doesn't do it for me sadly.

Found this thanks to someone in the Amiga thread and it's amazing. Really great documentary on adventure games and SoMI in particular (of course).

I love this video, it might be the best adventure game related video on YT (but shout out to Pushing Up Roses as well). The dude's whole channel is fantastic as well. His DOOM episode is especially good.

bravoguy

Anyone recently played Overclocked old PC adventure
I am rather confused to replay the same on newer PC as it’s getting crash every time in the center of certain stage
I searched for any patch for newer pc but no luck

Charles Cecil's new talk at EGX London: Redefining The Rules of Adventure Writing - How Beyond A Steel Sky Is Breaking Ground. It's actually a quite good talk that covers a lot of ground relating to Revolution Software's history and shows off some cool game play footage for Beyond A Steel Sky. One thing I really appreciate is that every time I see something new from this game the visuals have noticeably improved. The scene they've showed off in every trailer so far -- where Foster is walking up a small hill overlooking Union City -- has really come a long way from the initial Apple Arcade reveal.

Edit: It's up on YT now.

---

Anyone recently played Overclocked old PC adventure
I am rather confused to replay the same on newer PC as it’s getting crash every time in the center of certain stage
I searched for any patch for newer pc but no luck

I've never tried to play that game but it is available on GOG. Is that the version you're playing? Because if so GOG support might be able to help you.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Guys. Go try Disco Elysium. It's an adventure with some very weird RPG elements. Stellar writing. Super fun. A few hours in, and I can't stop playing. Loving it.

frogmeetsdog frogmeetsdog Making my way through ToonStruck and it's a really great game. In some ways I almost can't believe it was made. The style of animation and tone of ToonStruck's humor is a total throwback to a particular style of subversive 90's cartoon. The WB & Spielberg collaborative stuff like Freakazoid, Animaniacs or Tiny Toons. Which makes sense, obviously, because it's from that era and there's even a lot of shared voice talent. Still, even for that style, ToonStruck feels like it's pushing boundaries. I certainly didn't expect a wise cracking, tough guy, bowling alley owner dressed in a tutu to launch a bowling ball out of his ass.

It really is just a thoroughly weird game. It starts out weird enough being a Roger Rabbit style FMV-ish adventure starring Christopher Lloyd as a struggling cartoonist and only gets weirder from there. And I really appreciate the game for that. The puzzles are good too. So far they're comfortably in the "toon logic, not moon logic" range of lateral thinking. Which is what you wan't for a comedy adventure. There's nothing on the mind bendingly brilliant level of, say, DoTT but it's all good stuff and I'm having fun with it.

So far so good. I'll probably finish it within the week.

Guys. Go try Disco Elysium. It's an adventure with some very weird RPG elements. Stellar writing. Super fun. A few hours in, and I can't stop playing. Loving it.

Been hearing a lot of good things about this around here and on Twitter. Metascore is surprisingly high as well. When people are throwing out Planescape Torment comparisons, that's nothing to sneeze at. I'm definitely going to give it a look.

Fuz

Banned
When people are throwing out Planescape Torment comparisons, that's nothing to sneeze at.
Think of a Torment in a different setting with no combat.
I think the devs aimed straight for this - the game starts in the same way and there's a journey to self discovery.
In any case, for me this is the real Torment 2.

Fuck Numenera.

TripleSun

Only thing that makes me hesitant is how political I've been hearing the game is. If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to buy it. I just thought it was about a murder so I was a little set back about that. I don't want to spend $40 for them to preach their politics down my throat is all.

silentstorm

So far, it's only some people talking and you can decide what your character's beliefs are, that's it, but the one guy who wouldn't shut up and insult you was one i could shut up through the magic of punching his face and then spin kicking him while he was down.

I was playing as a pacifist, but damn me if that character wasn't so annoying it felt worth it to break character.

Finished ToonStruck. The second half of the game was so much fun I just blazed through it without stopping. Nefarious' castle is a good example of ramping up the difficulty for the late game without going overboard. It's open ended enough that you have to think but there isn't so much possibility that it's paralyzing. Some of the puzzles are really creative too. I think my favorites were getting rid of the alligators in the bathroom and the lounge room. Both solutions were the culmination of so many different steps and the payoff for each was perfect on account of those well animated, genuinely funny, cut-scenes.

There's a satisfying wrap up too. I do think the final battle itself between Nefarious and Fluffy Bun Bun could have been a bit more epic than just everyone crashing into each other. I also would have liked a scene where we get to save the real King Hugh and see where he's been. Still, Drew and Flux have their moment and the final scenes with Ben Stein wrap things up nicely. Even with the set up to a sequel that will never happen I think ToonStruck is a great self contained experience. I'd without hesitation call it a classic adventure game. The tone/style of comedy is a lot different than classic LucasArts games but in terms of quality I'd put it up there with many of them.

Glad I played it. Thanks frogmeetsdog frogmeetsdog , for giving me a push in the right direction.

silentstorm

Cool thanks for the reply. The dialogue I've seen so far seems very far out. Good it is living up to the hype silentstorm silentstorm
So far, i recommend not Save Scumming, since it's a dialogue based game, you can still proceed and solve the case even if you somehow fail all skill checks, and this game isn't the kind where winning is always good, oh no, sometimes failing leads to a better outcome or NPC's liking you more and being more willing to talk to you.

Also, your very Skills or emotions talk to you and give you advice, aside from Kim, they are essentially your party and...their advice isn't always the greatest, except for Volition from what i hear, the skill that makes you less likely to lose morale, from what i hear, he is the one and only Skill of yours that always gives you good advice and actively tries to help, but you can just ignore him if you want.

Fuz

Banned
Only thing that makes me hesitant is how political I've been hearing the game is. If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to buy it. I just thought it was about a murder so I was a little set back about that. I don't want to spend $40 for them to preach their politics down my throat is all.
It's very political. On every side. But it's political done right, it doesn't really take a stand and it's not preachy.

Last edited:

Trailer for the 33rd installment in HER Interactive's quite long running Nancy Drew adventure series. I'm not sure there's a longer running, more prolific series of adventure games. I've never played one myself but I have seen a few streams of them, as well as the recent Pushing Up Roses review for one of the games, and save for clunky visuals they actually seem well made.

This new game is, evidently, a big departure from the rest of the series. The are (relatively) modernized and there's a new voice actress for Nancy. However, from what can be gleaned in a few brief snippets, the sleuthing and puzzling that the series is known for seems to have remained in tact.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's very political. On every side. But it's political done right, it doesn't really take a stand and it's not preachy.

You can be a Communist, a racist, aFascist even, and the game won’t judge you for it. There’s a hell of a lot more to it than politics though, it’s a beautifully ugly world I adore being lost in, not even noticing the hours pass as I submerge in its murky depths.

RAIDEN1

Just a dam shame we won't get anymore Monkey Island adventures in the art-style of the first 3 games, I was pleasantly surprised to see the 3rd installment on GOG recently....great game...all went downhill after that...

silentstorm

You can be a Communist, a racist, aFascist even, and the game won’t judge you for it. There’s a hell of a lot more to it than politics though, it’s a beautifully ugly world I adore being lost in, not even noticing the hours pass as I submerge in its murky depths.
Heck, one character does mention your ideology at the end, but it's mostly in a way to see if your actions follow your beliefs or if there is a contrast, me, i was a moralist, which is basically a centrist who believes in doing small things and actions to change the world rather that being far right or left.

And then said character says that despite my beliefs, i keep doing crazy stuff that no normal moralist would do, and even sometimes just say weird and irrational stuff, you can even make it so that you things of two wildly different stances in an equal measure which will confuse said character even more, like him saying you are a communist and a fascist at the same time somehow, or maybe noting you being casually pretty racist but then acting like races aren't even a thing.

Makes it more fun to be weird when you know you can talk to someone who will mention your political ideology at the end, sadly, i don't think it's possible to confuse said character to a point where he becames speechless, shrugs off and just says "I guess he believes in something...and maybe he acts on it, hell if i know!" because i would have loved if the developers included that.

New Blacksad gameplay video. First one with a substantial uninterrupted length of gameplay. Im about 10 minutes in and there are some rough edges (a few subtitles dont match and choppy lip sync from certain characters) but overall it's looking quite good. I hope there's a way to turn off some of the notifications the game gives you because being alerted every time you have enough clues to make a new deduction is a bit too hand holdy for me. Even the TellTale games had an option to turn stuff like that off so I'm hoping Pendulo included it as well.

Looking forward to playing the game next week. November 5th is right around the corner.

Edit: Watched the rest of it and the quality fluctuates noticeably. The one cut-scene where O'Leary is holding the dog hostage looks great and even the lip sync is good. Then immediately after when Blacksad is being questioned (which seems like an odd bottleneck to show off in your gameplay demo) O'Leary's mouth literally does not move while he's talking. There's also certain scenes that seem oddly quiet and would benefit from some music added in.

Despite this stuff I do think I'll still really enjoy the game but some of it is jarring and I can imagine other players not being so forgiving. It looks like the Pendulo could stand to get another 2 or so to keep polishing things up.

'

Also, Afterparty is out tomorrow and it's been getting very good reviews so far. I still need to play through Oxenfree and I did get it for free on EGS so maybe I'll actually play one of those games I downloaded, for once.

Last edited:
During Dave GIlbert's Adventure X's talk this morning he announced that Technobabylon 2's development is being halted indefinitely due to health complications with James Dearden. Apparently James is chipping away at it when he can find the time but there's no projected date or milestones as of right now.

All I can say is I wholeheartedly hope James gets well ASAP. I love his work and I hope he's healthy and creating again like I'm sure he wants to be.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
During Dave GIlbert's Adventure X's talk this morning he announced that Technobabylon 2's development is being halted indefinitely due to health complications with James Dearden. Apparently James is chipping away at it when he can find the time but there's no projected date or milestones as of right now.

All I can say is I wholeheartedly hope James gets well ASAP. I love his work and I hope he's healthy and creating again like I'm sure he wants to be.

Hope he's ok - I absolutely loved Technobabylon.

Roki's live presentation from Indies Uncovered at EGX Berlin. First proper gameplay demo of Roki that I've seen and it looks really good. This seems to be the brief, early, puzzle chain that's been written up in most of the game's previews. The visual design and setting really steal the show. All the locales look great and the creature designs and animation are brimming with personality.

Blacksad looks too much like a telltale game. Also, I think his voice doesn't fit at all.

I'm starting to worry about the game. Not the design but if the gameplay trailer they just dropped is where they're at, currently, then the game should be delayed. The sound design is barely present and there are noticeable glitches (audio dropping, missing animations) which just shouldn't be the case for a video the publisher is choosing to show off a week from release. Oddly enough the French version of the same gameplay demo has more sound effects and music, but still not as much as you'd expect.

Someone on the Steam forums speculated that the footage might be from back before they delayed the game a few months to finish polishing it up. That the publisher had those videos ready to go for the initial September release and just used them? It would explain why certain versions are more finished than others. But why wouldn't you just cut new trailers?

I'm hoping for the best and I'll find out in a week. They pushed it back to November 15th from the 5th. I'm pretty sure just to have everything align with the physical release of the game.

Last edited:
Looks as if Blacksad release is getting delayed for a few days yet again (now it‘s 14th according to their Steam page, after 11th and 5th (and September) before). Looks as if they’ve got to iron out some issues. The PS4 version seems to have dropped accidentally on November 5th but the Publisher strongly recommended waiting for a patch - Looks as if their November 5th version still lacked the last polish (no idea if this is fixed yet, I’ll rather wait for the PC release).

Even though the game looks a bit “Telltale-y” I‘ve got faith in Pendulo that it’ll be more than a storydriven choice game. Just finished Yesterday Origins and it was really good. Especially the puzzles. Also liked the Runaway trilogy a lot (except for some of the 2nd part maybe) - Guess they’ll try a bit of a new approach with Blacksad (with more choices and a few branching storylines) as they nearly went out of business before they found Microids as new publisher and I don’t think Origins sold very well but hopefully at the heart they’ll stick to what they do best: A good story combined with strong puzzles. Anyway, looking forward to the game’s release, hope 14th it is this time.

Last edited:
frogmeetsdog frogmeetsdog From the gameplay videos it looks like the main puzzle mechanic is very similar to Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments or the Ace Investigations adventures. You're going to be going around looking for clues and then combining evidence in a menu to make deductions. There may be some other one off logic puzzles here and there (as in C&P) but I'm assuming that's the bulk of the puzzling in Blacksad. So yeah, more exploring and thinking than you're typical post-2012 TellTale adventure.

BTW Here is Microids' statement on the leak and what the day 1 patch is supposed to fix:

EIna0pSXkAIGI7Q

So despite the use of the word "musics" not boding extremely well for this games translation (mostly joking), I'll temper my expectations until I get my hands on the game. The list of improvements covers a lot of my complaints at face value. Hopefully the polish is better at launch than that gameplay video suggests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom