• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2019 - The Liveliest Dead Genre There Ever Was

The awesome looking Theropods has reached its funding goal with a day to spare. If you haven't checked it out yet there's a demo available on the KS page. It's a beautifully drawn pixel art adventure featuring a ton of Dinosaurs. It's one on a short list of adventure games to take the unconventional approach of no dialogue. The story is conveyed purely through imagery. With this sort of thing, as always, your mileage may vary but I played the demo and I think they pull it off reasonably well.

a5c9713a8a3b059e080a4df5ed17b0aa_original.gif
4df8723755e54dfc0154f72c73246d12_original.gif

The devs have also made a few of these pixel art advenure game mash-up gifs throughout the duration of their campaign. They're just straight up cool:

And yet this is not the only drop dead gorgeous dinosaur adventure on the horizon. There's also Zniw Adventure, a game I've seen around a couple times that boasts some absolutely phenomenal animation. It's officially "coming soon" on Steam but no firm release date announced as of yet.

Also, to close out this bit of adventure game housekeeping, we've got a gif of a rather satisfying punch from Grundislav Games' Rosewater (showcasing some of the choice mechanics in his upcoming western) and an atmospheric shot of Roki from Polygon Treehouse (where they demonstrate their approach to building mood through camerawork).

As always it never ceases to delight me; the amount of cool looking adventure games there are in development. It really is a great time to be a fan of the genre. Not least of all because Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure finally launches today!!! As soon as I get to play some I'll be posting those impressions in the Gibbous Thread. I'm expecting great things.

Last edited:
Two hours into Gibbous and gotta say so far it's mostly holding up to my high expectations. Loving the humor, the production value is through the roof, visuals and music - the whole athmosphere - are nothing short of amazing. Also don't agree at all with the reviews that bemoaned shaky voice acting (don't know what they were playing but imo - with a few negligible exceptions - the VA is superb).

The only thing missing is a little harder puzzle difficulty. As long as you pay some attention to comments and dialogue the puzzles are a breeze. This is the only thing that separates the game a bit from most of the 90s classics it tries to emulate.

Was hoping for Gibbous to have some harder puzzles, there's a hint system after all too. Alas in this case it went a similar route to Trüberbrook and Guard Duty. Suppose most devs shy away from harder puzzles nowadays, afraid of deterring more casual gamers.

But guess could have seen this coming. Dug up an interview yesterday where one of the devs (probably Liviu) said that they'll try to find the sweet spot between too easy and too hard but that he prefers the puzzle difficulty to be on the lighter side when it comes down to it.

Still a very engaging, beautiful Point'n'Click adventure, definitely one of the best of 2019. But for me so far it's just missing a tad meatier puzzles to be on a level with the likes of DotT or Toonstruck.

In any way, Gibbous is a joy to play and every PnC gamer should definitely give it a shot.

Last edited:
Two hours into Gibbous and gotta say so far it's mostly holding up to my high expectations. Loving the humor, the production value is through the roof, visuals and music - the whole athmosphere - are nothing short of amazing. Also don't agree at all with the reviews that bemoaned shaky voice acting (don't know what they were playing but imo - with a few negligible exceptions - the VA is superb).

I'm fairly certain I'm at chapter 5 now. Just finished the pentagram book puzzle, which so far has been the toughest in the game by a fair stretch. A satisfying challenge. Posting my impressions in the OT to give the game some viability on the main page. Really enjoying it so far. I will say that there is some shaky dialogue here and there but as far as VA goes it's mostly solid with a few exceptions.

Dunno how far into the game I am but it seems like I'll likely complete it tonight. We'll see how things continue to hold up but right now it's a definite recommend.

Made a thread for the new Beyond a Steel Sky gameplay footage and preview material but in case anyone missed it here it is:

IGN preview

But also, coming straight out of left field, we've got Microids & Benoit Sokal announcing a new entry into the Syberia series:
Syberia: The World Before announced

Gematsu Article said:
Microids and Benoit Sokal have announced Syberia: The World Before, a new entry in the Syberia adventure game series. A release date and platforms were not announced.

Gematsu Article said:
“Two years after the release of the last episode, we understand that fans are curious and eager to discover the next installment of the adventure from our much-loved Kate Walker,” said Microids vice president Elliot Grassiano in a press release. “The game is already under development and we are delighted to be reunited with Benoit Sokal’s unique universe. This latest adventure will offer fans of the series a chance to learn more about our heroine and re-immerse themselves in the atmosphere of the first games.”
Syberia series author and artistic director Benoit Sokal added, “Today, I’m very happy to be able to continue Kate’s journey and share this adventure once again with the team at Microids. I hope to give the fans a story with an atmosphere that’s just as mysterious as the previous episodes, with even more automatons to operate, puzzles to solve and unusual characters to meet. I can’t wait to share more of my world and the game’s progress with you.”

Gematsu Article said:
Entitled Syberia: The World Before, this episode will invite us once again to follow the adventures of Kate Walker as she deals with a new investigation. This journey will take us across continents and through time periods to experience a journey rooted in the turmoil and tragedies of the twentieth century.
In production for the past 18 months, Syberia: The World Before will bring the fans back to the unique atmosphere, trademark of the series. Discover a scenario full of mystery, poetry and emotion. An adventure based on travel and exploration, ingenious mechanisms to unlock and of course, the fantastic art of Benoît Sokal. With its dreamlike, snowy and enigmatic landscapes, its automatons and its endearing and extravagant characters, Syberia: The World Before should appeal to the series aficionados as well as to newcomers.

"Syberia: The World Before" I've only played the first entry into the series but I do intend to play the 2nd as well. Apparently this new game has been in production for 18 months. Given that's the case I would have liked to at least see a teaser with something in game but this piece of promo art is all there is for visuals at the moment:
Syberia-The-World-Before_08-19-19.jpg

From what I know the 3rd Syberia game was a mixed bag, at best, with fans and critically it was a total bomb. But there's still a lot of fondness for those first two entries so let's see if Microids and Benoit Sokal can deliver.

Just recently learned there was a leak (from Russia of course ;) ) three years ago regarding the 1998 Warcraft Point and Click adventure "Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans"

I can still remember my massive disappointment 20+ years ago when the game was canceled, especially considering it seemed to be nearly done. Anyway, a fully playable version with voice overs and cutscenes appears to have been leaked in 2016 and even though reviews weren’t glowing the consensus seems to be it wouldn’t have been an all too bad adventure, just not up to Blizzard‘s usual "ultra high" standards. Apparently Blizzard feared that the game wasn’t able to compete with Course of MI or the upcoming Grim Fandango in terms of quality and also had realised from Lucas Art’s sales figures that the heydays of Point’n’Click adventures were over.

Any of you guys seen playthroughs on Youtube? Would be cool if there‘d be a possibility to buy the final leaked version of the game. Sure, maybe it wasn’t up to Blizzard’s standards back then but on the flipside it’s over 20 years old now, as good as done and nobody would hold it against the company if they gave Point and Clickers a shot at their one and only attempt to create a PnC. As mediocre as it may be in their eyes ...

From what I’ve seen so far it doesn’t look like a smash hit, but still a rather enjoyable title nonetheless.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just recently learned there was a leak (from Russia of course ;) ) three years ago regarding the 1998 Warcraft Point and Click adventure "Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans"

I can still remember my massive disappointment 20+ years ago when the game was canceled, especially considering it seemed to be nearly done. Anyway, a fully playable version with voice overs and cutscenes appears to have been leaked in 2016 and even though reviews weren’t glowing the consensus seems to be it wouldn’t have been an all too bad adventure, just not up to Blizzard‘s usual "ultra high" standards. Apparently Blizzard feared that the game wasn’t able to compete with Course of MI or the upcoming Grim Fandango in terms of quality and also had realised from Lucas Art’s sales figures that the heydays of Point’n’Click adventures were over.

Any of you guys seen playthroughs on Youtube? Would be cool if there‘d be a possibility to buy the final leaked version of the game. Sure, maybe it wasn’t up to Blizzard’s standards back then but on the flipside it’s over 20 years old now, as good as done and nobody would hold it against the company if they gave Point and Clickers a shot at their one and only try to create a PnC. As mediocre as it may be in their eyes ...

From what I’ve seen so far it doesn’t look like a smash hit, but still a rather enjoyable title nonetheless.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they polished the rough edges and let GOG release it. Stranger things have happened.

Any of you guys seen playthroughs on Youtube? Would be cool if there‘d be a possibility to buy the final leaked version of the game. Sure, maybe it wasn’t up to Blizzard’s standards back then but on the flipside it’s over 20 years old now, as good as done and nobody would hold it against the company if they gave Point and Clickers a shot at their one and only attempt to create a PnC. As mediocre as it may be in their eyes ...

I never knew that a leaked version of this game had surfaced, that's awesome. Ever since I found out about this abandoned game I've lamented the loss of a high production value 2D cartoon adventure. After your post I watched the PuR video and played through the first little section of the game. I actually think she was being a bit too harsh. I was enjoying myself. I like the simple story of an Orc raised by humans resenting them for his enslavement and breaking free. The first few cut-scenes actually hit their dramatic notes surprisingly well. The talented voice cast definitely helps with that.

I don't know if I fully buy into PUR's assessment that it was Grim Fandango's sales that got Blizzard to ultimately pull the plug. As far as I know LucasArts games were never big sellers save for a few exceptions like Full Throttle. The Monkey Island games, for instance, were lucky to crack 100k back in the day. Sierra was the company that consistently put up numbers in the millions. Grim Fandango actually sold better than most of the Lucas titles (slow burn to 500k) but it was underwhelming internally since it had such a beefed up budget compared to their 2D adventures.

In any case I'll probably play through the whole thing, actually. A lot of PUR's complaints seemed to stem from puzzle similarity, in particular with the KQ series. Luckily I haven't played any of those games (except for 6 and 2015) so I don't foresee that bothering me lol. I'd probably jump right into it if I weren't currently playing Discworld Noir.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they polished the rough edges and let GOG release it. Stranger things have happened.

That would definitely be awesome. From what I've played all they'd have to do is fix up some of the sound design and add music. Thing is I doubt Blizzard would let it happen but it'd kick ass if they did.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

I played it, it's actually pretty good if you can get over the bugs and unfinished stuff.

ROMhack ROMhack
Love that video. It's what got me to play through Blade Runner (several times) earlier this year. Very interesting stuff, I basically consider that game the roadmap to the modern adventure game.

Also, it's just crazy all the hoops they had to go through to pull off visual fx back in the day lol. War stories is a great name for the series.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I should open this thread more often. A new Steel Sky and Syberia game? Wow.

Anyway, I just watched this. Pretty good insight into the Blade Runner game

ROMhack ROMhack
Love that video. It's what got me to play through Blade Runner (several times) earlier this year. Very interesting stuff, I basically consider that game the roadmap to the modern adventure game.

Also, it's just crazy all the hoops they had to go through to pull off visual fx back in the day lol. War stories is a great name for the series.
Does that video have any game spoilers?

I really want to watch it, but I plan on playing the game to completion one day (despite owning it and still owning it for years and attempting to start it and never finishing my play through, lol).

Scopa Scopa

For the most part nothing significant but at the end of the video there are spoilers for one of the 12+ endings. It's a pretty obscure one that you aren't likely to get, though.

I played it, it's actually pretty good if you can get over the bugs and unfinished stuff.
Yeah you‘re right. Didn‘t know if I‘d be allowed to mention more about Warcraft Adventures - with it being an unofficial release and all - but wanted to bring it to anyone’s attention who hasn’t heard about the leak so far. Guess it doesn’t matter as you can‘t buy it anywhere anyway, so this site is commited to add the unfinished stuff:

They added and remastered the two missing cutscenes to the game which where only available as recorded TV scenes before and also synced the rest. With their patch the game looks absolutely amazing and works perfectly fine from start to finish.

To the game: I understand why Blizzard hasn‘t released it. It‘s no smash hit and I suppose they didn‘t want to release a game they hadn’t deemed perfect. On the other hand, the game is far from bad and probably 95% of gaming publishers would have released it in the current state. I‘m glad I was able to play it. It wasn‘t necessarily a memorable gaming moment but still very enjoyable.

Also, considering my disappointment at the cancellation when I was still attending school 1998 I‘m glad I had the chance to finally play the game - or at least the last version of it before they decided to cancel - from start to finish.

Last edited:
I never knew that a leaked version of this game had surfaced, that's awesome. Ever since I found out about this abandoned game I've lamented the loss of a high production value 2D cartoon adventure. After your post I watched the PuR video and played through the first little section of the game. I actually think she was being a bit too harsh. I was enjoying myself. I like the simple story of an Orc raised by humans resenting them for his enslavement and breaking free. The first few cut-scenes actually hit their dramatic notes surprisingly well. The talented voice cast definitely helps with that.

I don't know if I fully buy into PUR's assessment that it was Grim Fandango's sales that got Blizzard to ultimately pull the plug. As far as I know LucasArts games were never big sellers save for a few exceptions like Full Throttle. The Monkey Island games, for instance, were lucky to crack 100k back in the day. Sierra was the company that consistently put up numbers in the millions. Grim Fandango actually sold better than most of the Lucas titles (slow burn to 500k) but it was underwhelming internally since it had such a beefed up budget compared to their 2D adventures.

In any case I'll probably play through the whole thing, actually. A lot of PUR's complaints seemed to stem from puzzle similarity, in particular with the KQ series. Luckily I haven't played any of those games (except for 6 and 2015) so I don't foresee that bothering me lol. I'd probably jump right into it if I weren't currently playing Discworld Noir.

That would definitely be awesome. From what I've played all they'd have to do is fix up some of the sound design and add music. Thing is I doubt Blizzard would let it happen but it'd kick ass if they did.

Just finished the game yesterday and it’s pretty good. Especially the puzzles have a nice balance. The story may be a bit cliched, especially towards the end. It‘s nothing groundbreaking but definitely one of the better adventures I‘ve played within the last few years. Considering this is basically an unfinished and cancelled game, this is no tiny feat.

Also don‘t necessarily believe in PUR’s explanation either that they just cancelled it because of bad adventure sales during that time. I also don‘t fully buy Blizzard‘s reasoning that they just canned it "because they only wanted to give players the best of the best" (or something in that vein).

I suppose the truth is somewhere in between: Them not being totally content with the game and its sales potential, too much labour to rework it while the main concern being Blizzard‘s reputation up to that point (and still now) to be only associated with super smash hit games. But Warcraft Adventures is definitely very enjoyable - I‘ve played through the game within 2 days and always wanted to get back to it as soon as I had time, something I can‘t say about the majority of PnC releases I‘ve played during the last few years.

And glad you didn‘t know about the leak either. Was hoping to call attention to it but - even though it’s basically about abandonware - wasn‘t sure how much I‘m allowed to say here :)

If you decide to continue with your playthrough be sure to install the patch mentioned above. With that as good as every part of the game sounds, looks and plays like a finished release.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

TripleSun

I've been playing World of Warcraft for the past 12 years or so and I've never played the PnC game. I guess I thought it was super buggy and didn't have much going on so why bother, but I guess I need to get around to it now. Thanks for the heads up, its cool to know people care enough about a cancelled game to remaster parts of it.

I'd probably jump right into it if I weren't currently playing Discworld Noir.

How did you get Discworld Noir running on a modern PC? Suppose you use Win 7 or 10 - Did you use the fix by Loma? There are a few methods out there but Loma's method seems far superior to most of the other workarounds which usually involve quite a few hoops (like wrappers, installing a WinXP virtual box, etc)

Last edited:
Btw, any of you guys ever played the AGD remakes of the first three King's Quests? I always come back to reading about them but have never pulled the trigger so far.

They all seem to be great works of love and devotion to the originals with vastly improved graphics and some other added conveniences. Also luckily point'n'click instead of the dreaded text-parser. From what I've read about all KQ games I'd prefer a remake of part IV the most but seeing that AGD moved on to making original adventure games (Mage's Initiation) chances aren't too big this will ever come to fruition ... At least by AGD

Anyway, especially King's Quest III redux looks amazing and would love to hear some impressions by you guys. Gotta give it a shot one of these days.

Last edited:
This one looks pretty neat:

Trailer music is a bit annoying and alas the title is not fully voiced (expected from a small Indie release, the visuals partly make up for that at least). Adventuregamers gave the game 3,5 stars of 5 (= good), the few other reviews out there all sound even more positive. Also wouldn’t be the first time a "good" from AG would translate to a "great" for me. What you can call taste being subjective I guess ;)

Fuz probably won‘t get too warm with it though, with him being such a big fan of Curse of Monkey Island and the game sharing absolutely no (at least visual) similarities to that title .. At all ;)

Anyway, the game looks like a high quality Indie adventure, apparently has a funny story, good puzzles, a decent playing time and best of all it’s only $5.99/€4.99. Gotta try it out soon.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Does that video have any game spoilers?

I really want to watch it, but I plan on playing the game to completion one day (despite owning it and still owning it for years and attempting to start it and never finishing my play through, lol).

Please play it. It's an absolutely beautiful game. Honestly it's utterly amazing. It was the first game ever where I actually cared about the characters. Also visually it's fucking amazing. Oh and the perfect music as well, honestly it's just such a wonderful world to lose yourself in. Honestly it's genuinely a special game and it saddens me that we've not seen its like since.

How did you get Discworld Noir running on a modern PC? Suppose you use Win 7 or 10 - Did you use the fix by Loma? There are a few methods out there but Loma's method seems far superior to most of the other workarounds which usually involve quite a few hoops (like wrappers, installing a WinXP virtual box, etc)

Yeah, I used the Loma fix and i worked pretty much flawlessly for me. There is some slight wonkiness to the mouse cursor (it disappear sometimes and you have to when you idle for too long) but other than that it's great.

Been too busy to play it for the last week because of real life stuff but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far and I'm gonna jump back in soon.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Finished Broken Age Friday, Thimbleweed Park yesterday (used a mouse on the PS4 version and it was just like playing on the PC), and Oxenfree today.

Going to work on another play-through of Oxenfree tomorrow, then play either Yesterday’s Origins, Kona, or Crossing Souls next.

Oxenfree had a really neat concept and story. Spooky little game.

Last edited:
Finished Broken Age Friday, Thimbleweed Park yesterday (used a mouse on the PS4 version and it was just like playing on the PC), and Oxenfree today.

Going to work on another play-through of Oxenfree tomorrow, then play either Yesterday’s Origins, Kona, or Crossing Souls next.

Oxenfree had a really neat concept and story. Spooky little game.

How did you feel Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park stacked up to one another? Them being the two highest KickStarter revival adventures from LucasArts alumni. Personally I loved TP and didn't even take issue with it's Ron GIlbert ass meta ending.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How did you feel Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park stacked up to one another? Them being the two highest KickStarter revival adventures from LucasArts alumni. Personally I loved TP and didn't even take issue with it's Ron GIlbert ass meta ending.

I really liked TP. It had all the throwbacks and Easter eggs of the LucasArts games. The C64 was a great touch that brought back so much nostalgia, especially at the very end of the credits, and agreed about the ending, lol.

BA was not bad, the story was something I would have imagined after getting high AF. I enjoyed TP much more.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

The Beta 2.1 for the Warcraft game is that the whole of the game with the added cut-scenes? Also once downloaded what is the best tool to extract the file?

Fuz

Banned
This one looks pretty neat:

Trailer music is a bit annoying and alas the title is not fully voiced (expected from a small Indie release, the visuals partly make up for that at least). Adventuregamers gave the game 3,5 stars of 5 (= good), the few other reviews out there all sound even more positive. Also wouldn’t be the first time a "good" from AG would translate to a "great" for me. What you can call taste being subjective I guess ;)

Fuz probably won‘t get too warm with it though, with him being such a big fan of Curse of Monkey Island and the game sharing absolutely no (at least visual) similarities to that title .. At all ;)

Anyway, the game looks like a high quality Indie adventure, apparently has a funny story, good puzzles, a decent playing time and best of all it’s only $5.99/€4.99. Gotta try it out soon.

This is a blatant Monkey 2 ripoff (even the music), with a hint of the-chapter-that-doesn't-exist graphics style.

New Brassheart gamescom trailer showing off some gameplay and a few more of the "dieselpunk" settings. I like the look of the alternate history 1920s and playing as a pilot also seems cool. No firm date yet but it's slated for 2019.

Here's a new teaser trailer for the upcoming Crowns & Pawns. Visually, C&P is shaping up quite nicely with it's clean and colorful cartoon style. The game seems to be a historical thriller and gloabtrotting adventure in the vein of the Broken Sword series.

This is a game that, apparently, has been floating around for a while but I only discovered recently. Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story. Sense is going for an unabashedly erotic take on cyperbunk. So if you like cyberpunk, extremely buxom anime girls or both; then it might be worth checking out. There's a demo for the game on Steam.

Here's another adventure I found out about recently: Unlucky Seven. It promises to be a story about "love, hate and craving for human flesh." It's part of the emerging wave of PS1 era throwback visuals. With some modern effects layered over them, of course. It's also among the ranks of Backbone & Blacksad featuring anthropomorphic animal characters. Although, in this game there is an option to play as normal humans. Unlucky Seven is coming out really soon. It's slated for April 30th, this friday.

This is a blatant Monkey 2 ripoff (even the music), with a hint of the-chapter-that-doesn't-exist graphics style.
Bought the game a few days ago and stopped playing after half an hour ... Alas it's only a MI (2, 3, whatever) rip-off visually. In this case I even have to go the other way around and call the AG rating of 3,5/good very generous. Don't really care about the missing voice acting and still liking the visuals but the puzzles are very generic ... Same with the story ... So, unfortunately, they didn't rip off the most important parts of MI (witty story, strong puzzles) :/ YMMV

Yeah, I used the Loma fix and i worked pretty much flawlessly for me. There is some slight wonkiness to the mouse cursor (it disappear sometimes and you have to when you idle for too long) but other than that it's great.

Been too busy to play it for the last week because of real life stuff but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far and I'm gonna jump back in soon.

Glad about Loma's fix - Finally a way to play the title on newer machines hassle-free. Thanks for reminding me of the game, got it yesterday and I like it very much. For me the first two Discworlds never really clicked. Part 1 was much too difficult with many convoluted and illogical puzzles and even though part 2 was a bit better in that regard I still could never bring myself to enjoy it like a lot of other folks seem to (maybe also has to do with the fact that its controls don't work well with iOS/iPad ScummVM - which is where I tried it out - at all).

But Noir is great on the other hand. No outlandish puzzles, interesting - if a little cliched - plot, gripping story and finally fully working. Glad you mentioned the title, now I just hope you'll give Toonstruck a shot one of these days ;)

Reactions: Fuz
Fuz Fuz btw, saw you won Inner Space a few months ago. Congrats :D

Was this your first giveaway win? Would figure there are quite a big number of people participating, I think I'd signed up for about 15 so far. Pity Inner Space doesn't seem to be an above average game ... At least if reviews are to be believed. On the other hand, never look a gift horse in the mouth ;)

Yeah, I haven't played that either. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Huge backlog, no time and not particluarly a MGS fan. I'll play it... eventually.
Lol, tbh have only played about 30 minutes of the game myself either. It’s not too bad but as I’m getting older, I less and less play these kinds of huge open world games anymore where you gotta learn so many different button combinations, enemy behaviour, gaming mechanics etc.

Just preferring an easy-to-get-into PnC nowadays or the odd stealth title now and then. But MGSV is still a much better win than Inner Space. And if push comes to shove you could also always sell the steam code, couldn’t you? (Late edit: Hadn‘t realized before that the giveaways aren‘t made by Neogaf itself but by other users - That‘s why, in hindsight, I‘m certainly agreeing with Fuz‘ reply about not selling below)

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
And if push comes to shove you could also always sell the steam code, couldn’t you?
Nah, apart the fact that I already redeemed it, I won't sell a giveaway code. That would be disrespectful to the other partecipants. I'll play it, sooner or later.

Last edited:

TripleSun

New Brassheart gamescom trailer showing off some gameplay and a few more of the "dieselpunk" settings. I like the look of the alternate history 1920s and playing as a pilot also seems cool. No firm date yet but it's slated for 2019.

Here's a new teaser trailer for the upcoming Crowns & Pawns. Visually, C&P is shaping up quite nicely with it's clean and colorful cartoon style. The game seems to be a historical thriller and gloabtrotting adventure in the vein of the Broken Sword series.

This is a game that, apparently, has been floating around for a while but I only discovered recently. Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story. Sense is going for an unabashedly erotic take on cyperbunk. So if you like cyberpunk, extremely buxom anime girls or both; then it might be worth checking out. There's a demo for the game on Steam.

Here's another adventure I found out about recently: Unlucky Seven. It promises to be a story about "love, hate and craving for human flesh." It's part of the emerging wave of PS1 era throwback visuals. With some modern effects layered over them, of course. It's also among the ranks of Backbone & Blacksad featuring anthropomorphic animal characters. Although, in this game there is an option to play as normal humans. Unlucky Seven is coming out really soon. It's slated for April 30th, this friday.

Sense & Crowns both seem like cool games that went under my radar. Always nice to see new Brassheart footage too. Added to my list, thanks for the heads up

Sense & Crowns both seem like cool games that went under my radar. Always nice to see new Brassheart footage too. Added to my list, thanks for the heads up

I've gatta thank you for turning me onto that game earlier in the thread. It really does look very cool. I'm liking the protagonist a lot already.

But Noir is great on the other hand. No outlandish puzzles, interesting - if a little cliched - plot, gripping story and finally fully working. Glad you mentioned the title, now I just hope you'll give Toonstruck a shot one of these days ;)

It reminds me a lot of the early Blackwell games how a lot of the gameplay is getting new clues then questioning the right people to proceed. Makes sense since Dave Gilbert frequently cites the game as a big influence on him. Total hidden gem in my opinion. Definitely leaning more on the narrative end of the puzzle and plot divide, which may be a problem for some, but I love the game.

Also don't worry. I'm promising to you now that Toonstruck will be the next game I play.

Last edited:
The Beta 2.1 for the Warcraft game is that the whole of the game with the added cut-scenes? Also once downloaded what is the best tool to extract the file?
Oops, sorry I saw this so late.

The beta 2.1 is only the patch with the added cutscenes, not the complete game.

I don‘t know if I‘m allowed to post the link for the game itself here but make a Google search "world of warcraft adventures lord clans leak download" and use the archive.org link (about 3rd Google link for me when using those search terms, confirmed working. There are some fake links out there, partly even with viruses so better use archive.org), then click on ZIP on that site to download. After unpacking/installing that file follow the readme instructions of the beta 2.1 patch (just gotta copy its contents to a certain game folder and overwrite some of its existing files) to add the missing cutscenes and correct sync to the game.

For unextracting the game and the beta 2.1 patch you can use whatever. Winrar or 7zip should work best.

Edit: Also, if there are issues with the cutscenes don‘t forget to read the FAQ of the WACRP site (link below). You probably gotta replace the old SMACKW32.DLL in your game folder with a newer version.

Download link for that newer dll is here (below the question "MY GAME WON’T WORK WITH THE NEW CUTSCENES! WHAT’S WRONG?"):

Just ask if you need further assistance.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I started and finished Blackwell Legacy today. The game is super short and not particularly challenging. I haven't picked up a point n click game in a long time, so this was perfect for me. Looking forward to playing the sequel.

New trailer for Meredith Gran's upcoming adventure game: Perfect Tides. I gotta say I'm basically loving everything about it. The late 90's nostalgia, introspective vibes and Meredith's indie comics art style gel together so well. Anyone who's read her comics knows the writing is gonna be top notch. There seem to be some Donnie Darko-ish supernatural elements too. So maybe 2D Life Is Strange sans cringe?

Awesome trailer. It's pushed back to 2020 but I'm not even mad. Hope it's as good as it looks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom