• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim Games is becoming the next big indie-friendly publisher [Updated for 2016]

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
are there any of these coming to PS4?

I think with the Rain World announcement, they confirmed it was coming to "PSN, PS Vita and well beyond," so interpret that as you will. Seems likely.

CamHostage

Yeah, they've been quietly killing it for a good long time now.

I'd be really happy if Adult Swim Games got involved in a console partnership -- I know this is sort of port-begging (plus part of the Adult Swim brand is about being nimble and fresh, something that's tough on consoles) but I think it'd be a really strong announcement (especially now that they have some 3D titles, because let's face it, 3D shows pretty on a 90-foot screen) if one of the big three had an exclusive partnership to bring AS Games over to their platforms.

I hadn't heard of Death's Gambit before.

Why can't I kickstart all of these.

Edit: Oh wow, and Oblitus came out today. Why haven't I heard of it? Is it any good? The reviews aren't helpful because the only negative is someone who doesn't know how to use a PS4 controller.
Here's a review from the Indie Games thread
My Let's Play of Oblitus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-N3o1vuMF4

5ORJhbN.gif

Quick Impressions: Oblitus is a 2D Roguelike Soulslike game whose combat is entirely focused on the use of spears. There are four bosses and (IIRC correctly, I can't seem to find the data anymore) twenty two enhancements that are really kind of necessary. My first ever boss encounter, I only managed to find "Light Armor" which did shit all against the boss. What's worse is you get locked into the fight, so you better be a super quick learner or else you are most definitely going to get the "You Have Died" screen. And it is permadeath.

The levels are pseudo-procedurally generated. I say that because, I noticed that while my runs weren't completely the same, I did notice very familiar terrain patterns and obstacles. So it's more like it's cookie-cutter puzzle pieces that fit together very well randomly.

The combat is kind-of tight. For sure throwing your spear is super satisfying and the feedback you get from expertly drilling a monster in the forehead is spot-on. You don't need to fetch your spear after you throw it, you just need to wait until a set amount of time has passed. Blocking and parrying are fine and work well. It's mostly just the movement and stabbing that are more-or-less hamfisted. The feel of the close-combat is just off. There isn't any weight to it, you'll only get some bogus feedback if a monster parries you correctly, but if you are just machine-gunning the shins of monsters there is no fatigue, so it's more or less just an annoying obstacle.

There are, however, bigger monsters that do require you to be on your toes and fight with strategy or retreat to smaller alcoves that they cannot trespass.

The art and sound design are quite lovely though. Visually and acoustically the themes blend very naturally.

Even though I think the combat could be better, I do find this game incredibly fun and interesting.

Recommended
---
Isn't an "Indie-Publisher" kinda contradictory?

Jazzpunk is dope.
Well, "indie-friendly"
In that they help out indie devs. Help them out with marketing, get them booth space at expos like PAX, let them bypass Steam Greenlight

Like Rain World is being published by Adult Swim, but it's still just two guys working on the game.

Yeah, they've been quietly killing it for a good long time now.

I'd be really happy if Adult Swim Games got involved in a console partnership -- I know this is sort of port-begging (plus part of the Adult Swim brand is about being nimble and fresh, something that's tough on consoles) but I think it'd be a really strong announcement (especially now that they have some 3D titles, because let's face it, 3D shows pretty on a 90-foot screen) if one of the big three had an exclusive partnership to bring AS Games over to their platforms.
Well Rain World is coming to PS Vita and PSN, and the devs have hinted at "big console news", so I wouldn't be surprised if more games get console releases as well

shaowebb

I've dug Adult Swim Games for a long time. Seeing them publish such choice titles really makes me happy that someone is still out there supporting the right stuff.

My wife has been lurking for Ghost's Song news and images since it first got announced and I'm all over Rain World and Death's Gambit. Plus I bought and played the shit outta most of the other games in their published library...big fan of Super Puzzle Platformer.

I've dug Adult Swim Games for a long time. Seeing them publish such choice titles really makes me happy that someone is still out there supporting the right stuff.

My wife has been lurking for Ghost's Song news and images since it first got announced and I'm all over Rain World and Death's Gambit. Plus I bought and played the shit outta most of the other games in their published library...big fan of Super Puzzle Platformer.
I obsessively keep the Rain World thread updated so sub there if you want to keep up to date with the game's development
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750986

SerTapTap

Next? More like they're branching out into non-flash games. They've been making/publishing quality flash games for years. But yeah, it's cool to see I guess. I'm still leery of "indie publisher" but Adult Swim was cool before this, and Devolver hasn't turned evil yet.

Next? More like they're branching out into non-flash games. They've been making/publishing quality flash games for years. But yeah, it's cool to see I guess. I'm still leery of "indie publisher" but Adult Swim was cool before this, and Devolver hasn't turned evil yet.
Well, yeah, but "indie publisher", I mean in the vein of Devolver, in that they're publishing other games that aren't their own

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
And the version we're putting out on Steam in April is like a deluxe, totally blown-out edition. It. Is. So. Good.

But I may be a little biased.
I'll be there day 1 regardless, but has there be any word on the possibility of a console version?

And the version we're putting out on Steam in April is like a deluxe, totally blown-out edition. It. Is. So. Good.

But I may be a little biased.
Dude, I've been waiting patiently for months. Hell, I had even emailed AS after I played the OG game asking for an expanded version.
Don't make the wait even harder :p
Can't wait to play it

shaowebb

You forgot the very best game of 2013 nobody played:

Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe
pTMFG.gif

Listen to this great music.

Adult Swim Games has my interest after some really fascinating releases.

I played it after that one streamer tried it and then couldn't stop playing for something like 30 hours. Every time someone would donate he'd stay up. The guy was obsessed with "getting the doritos" lol. Game is amazing. One of the best new mashups on several gameplay types ever made. Ninja ftw.

Death's Gambit has my attention. Creature design seems top notch and it's tickling my colossus fetish. Hope for more media soon and a not too distant release. According to their last youtube video, a trailer is due in February which means by tomorrow? Hope so!

Rain World has evolved tremendously. I remember the early sketches of gameplay being posted in the indie forum way back when. Seeing the AI and monsters at this stage, it's very interesting and fun to see it come together. That big monster's animation and AI is just creepy awesome.

Holly shit, i didn't know they published Volgarr. Maybe not on xbox and thats why i never saw it. But still thats one hell of a game and one of my top games of last year. I got all the achievements accept for two and have even started speed running it. Play this game people!

iUJGl4tmaTcro.gif

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
When I try to go to the adult swim submissions page it defaults to the Australian website and says page not found :\

Kacho

I'm not too big into the indie scene but Adult Swim has been awesome at picking the right games. All of their published games I've played have been awesome. Whoever they have picking out which games to publish has done a stellar job so far.

I'm not too big into the indie scene but Adult Swim has been awesome at picking the right games. All of their published games I've played have been awesome. Whoever they have picking out which games to publish has done a stellar job so far.

William's Street in general have always been pretty crazy good at picking winners in both game and TV show departments. They are definitely people who love what they help produce/publish.

They also do a lot to promote indie artists via their TV bumps and the music they promote/sell/distribute via their website.

Death's Gambit has my attention. Creature design seems top notch and it's tickling my colossus fetish. Hope for more media soon and a not too distant release. According to their last youtube video, a trailer is due in February which means by tomorrow? Hope so!

Rain World has evolved tremendously. I remember the early sketches of gameplay being posted in the indie forum way back when. Seeing the AI and monsters at this stage, it's very interesting and fun to see it come together. That big monster's animation and AI is just creepy awesome.
According to Twitter, trailer is "coming soon"

Here's a poster
8oidyH7.jpg

Fury451

Banned
I knew they were involved with Jazzpunk and Dead Ninjas, which was surprising enough, but these other games look really interesting.

Are these all available on steam? I want to play deaths gambit? How about on ps4?
The only ones that are released are Oblitus, Jazzpunk, Volgarr, and Super House of Dead Ninjas. Westerado has an early flash game version. The others are still in development

I'll update the OP with more info in a bit

Top Bottom