• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Bobby Kotick and EA's Andrew Wilson among most overpaid CEOs in US

wipeout364

CEO’s are way overpaid in North America. With the company value cut in half in the last few months he should be getting a 75% pay cut. Will he? No because the owners of the company( the shareholders )will get fucked over while he and the board keep the gravy train going.

You loose half my share value in a year you should be out the door, there’s a ton of guys out there that can do the job and for a lot cheaper but the game is rigged so the shareholders get screwed over. Anybody saying he deserves it after shaving 30 billion off the value of the company is delusional.

SpartanN92

Banned
Both of the companies stocks have skyrocketed. They are fulfilling their fiduciary duty to their stock holders very well.

Wait is that their BASE salary? Or we talking salary including bonuses? Yo, the CEO of Google's base salary was only $2 Million dollars in 2019. Granted, he had the possibility of making over a $100 Million if certain metrics were met! Damn!

Last edited:
tenor.gif

From the outside, seems like EA isn't that great managed

Isnt the only major change in last few years COD mobile and COD F2P?
Stagnated Battlefield
Need For Speed is a joke.
They couldn't even adapt when Soccer stopped, instead FIFA 20 is 15US everywhere and FIFA is there major cash cow.

Seems like they are living of COD and Ultimate Team.

Last edited:
Good for them. Kotick basically created from nothing behemoth that is called Activision and has been CEO for 30 years now. If you’re selling 20+ millions of copies of certain video game series year after year, yeah, that will get you such fortune. It’s just capitalism.

VGEsoterica

"Insert CEO NAME HERE" makes too much money...they all do! When the average employee makes 1% or less per year than the CEO does, you know there is a problem all around. They lay off entire studios while amassing huge profits and taking giant bonuses...it's terrible

jonnyp

Blame the shareholders for letting their board renumerate their CEOs that much.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
When the average employee makes 1% or less per year than the CEO does, you know there is a problem all around.

There is no problem. Why someone earns 100$ and someone else 1000$ ? Because their work is not the same and effect of their work is vastly different when rubber meets the road.

People are getting paid as much as they are worth. If someone doesn't earn a lot it means they are not worthy for company.

Dane

Good for them. Kotick basically created from nothing behemoth that is called Activision and has been CEO for 30 years now. If you’re selling 20+ millions of copies of certain video game series year after year, yeah, that will get you such fortune. It’s just capitalism.

Exactly, both Kotick and Zelnick won't get fired because they own a significant share of the company, just like Mark Zuckeberg. Not only that, these companies got the best results during their tenure, Activision for example was actually bankrupt and Kotick bought it.

Sry, cant hate on someone making 28mil a year. Plus its not like he just showed up yesterday to the party. Dudes been in the industry forever.

I know it is alot of money, but people need to understand that those people are leading companies to make money. If the company doesn't give them money, they go somewhere else.
Anyway if Activision and EA making mony, that's because of stupid people who buy shitty games.

Three

Frankly they are paid a lot compared to other CEOs of massive companies that as a whole earn and employee a lot more but they are not 'overpaid'. They earn whatever they earn and there should be no arbitrary cutoff, good on them.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd understand complains about doing massive layouts and they still getting so much payment for their job, but people is actually complaining by the ratio difference itself which makes no sense... Also, unfortunately many devs got themselves in that position when not trying to find other better paid opportunities. Not saying it's "fair" but it's what it is and capitalism works that way, the better you are making other people gain money, the more money you get unless you don't know it and get stuck on forever low payment jobs because they're taking advantage of you

oldergamer

Define overpaid.

Fuck people trying to police how much other people get paid.

STFU and stay in your lane, focus on how much you can get paid
Define it? When your fucking company has the biggest disparity in pay compared to all other fortune 500 companies!!! That is clearly overpaid.

Who are you anyway? bobby kotick? you don't want in on the discussion? go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Who cares if they're making the shareholders money? I haven't really looked at activision stock but I've heard they've been killing it.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

jakinov

It doesn't really bother me because

• it's not my money or the money of the employees that is being taken away. If the board of directors and deciding shareholders want to pay them that much they can keep doing it. That's their prerogative.
  • The employees agreed to work for a certain wage or salary and just the CEOs did. Just because the company has the money to pay other people more, I don't think why they should especially as the shareholders expect returns. It's the same as if you put money into buying or creating a restaurant. You didn't do it to build a system of distributing wealth, you put in risk and expect a reward.
  • It's a lot of money for one person, but the money that goes towards these CEOs and other execs is likely not what's preventing the thousands of employees from being super wealthy, we're probably looking at an extra few grand before taxes per year if we paid them all zero. Which is definitely nice to have and can be impactful for some people but all that money isn't what's keeping all their thousands of employee from being significantly wealthier.
  • Even if the CEOs are arguably overpaid, that doesn't mean the employees are underpaid.
    • Generally for jobs you look at what other people are being paid in the market to determine how much you want to pay your employees or how much you will accept as an employee.
  • I know a lot of people bring up CEO compensation when it comes to lay offs. But if they can continue to do business by laying off employees or don't want to do certain business initiatives/projects/products/services anymore then why should they keep those employees that they don't think they need anymore? Staying large for the sake of being nice puts you at a higher risk of negative impact because then you owe a bunch of money to people when you fail or things get rough.
    • If they employees were super necessary, the business should consequently be negatively impacted by not being able to produce, morale would be down, possible employee turnover, and the top would get less profits later.
    • It sounds insensitive out loud but sometimes large corporations need to cut fat.. So that they can maybe gain new muscle that's more productive later on. Layoffs force companies to really evaluate how people are performing and who is really needed.

JimboJones

Does he really have anything to do with any of that or does he just put his signature on a few documents?

He probably isn't in the nitty gritty of it but he's hiring people to execute his vision, I doubt he's blindly signing things.
If they where consistently doing shit, you can bet he would eventually have to answer for it.

Top Bottom