• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Bobby Kotick and EA's Andrew Wilson among most overpaid CEOs in US

Shin

Banned
A new report shows that the heads of Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts are among the United States' most overpaid CEOs.

As You Sow, a non-profit foundation whose mission is to promote corporate social responsibility, carries out an annual analysis into how much chief execs are paid and calculate how many are arguably overpaid.
This is estimated by taking into account their salary, the ratio between this and the average worker at their firm, plus factors like shareholder votes against the CEO's pay package and total shareholder return.

Using this methodology, Activision's Bobby Kotick is the most overpaid CEO in the US games industry. His salary was reported as $28,698,375 -- 306 times more than the average Activision staff member.
With 92% of shareholder votes against this package, As You Sow believes this to be an excess payment of $12,835,277.

Meanwhile, EA CEO Andrew Wilson was estimated to be paid an excess of $19,673,861, with his salary at $35,728,764. There were 97% of shareholders votes against this package, and it stands at 371 times more than the average EA employee's pay packet.
For comparison, the average CEO to worker ratio at S&P 500 companies, the largest 500 companies in the US, is 142:1.

Credit: GameIndustryBiz

8ljY2ad.jpg

I guess welcome to the world of big business?

They’d probably tell you they’re underpaid, if you asked them.

It’s pretty wild, for sure

Last edited:
And Bob Igor is worth 350 million. The ratio between him and average worker must be even larger than this. Comparing those 2 numbers arent relevant, but merely just a comparison.

Last edited:

Solo Act

EA has missed a couple of earnings estimates in a row I think. If Anthem bombs and Apex fails to shoulder the weight, Andrew Wilson may not be long for the top position in Redwood City.

WaterAstro

Maybe with the current social climate, bringing up Bobby Kotick's sexual harassment will get him fired.
Not many people know that Bobby Kotick actually lost a lawsuit for sexual harassment.

sol_bad

So are they saying that shareholders are voting no for these payment packages but they aren't listened to?

TLZ

Banned
Well, yeah, they own the company.
Ok. But shutting down many devs so you can continue to make $35 million a year? What greed is this? Why not be thankful they're the ones making you that money and keep them on? They're people with families too who can probably live off 0.1% of that amount, yet he wants to eat it all up by himself.

Isn't $1 million enough?

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Unless you're on the board you don't get to decide if a CEO is overpaid or not. If you don't like the compensation structure then replace the board members with people who feel like you do. Good luck with that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lately, these company's stock prices have been but in half the past 6 months, but for a good 10 year run, the stocks basically 10x themselves for a time.

Activision increased from $8 billion market cap to $64 billion at the peak, now at $32 billion.

EA increased from $5 billion market cap to $50 billion, now at $28 billion.

Pretty sure the company can spare extra money. These two CEOs are paid about double the ratio to other Fortune 500 CEOs. So if you cut their packages in half to get them in line, instead of getting $30 million, they should get $15 million. Fair enough. But for that extra $15 million of salary, the companies increased in value for shareholders by $20+ billion each.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Easiest way to get a CEO fired.

Don't buy their products. Sales and profits sink, the stock price gets slammed and he'll get the boot.

But keep buying their stuff, everyone props up the stock prices inching it up and he'll get a huge payout as CEO goals always have shareholder goals (must hit shareholder value by achieving share price xxxx with dividend payouts (if the stock offers it)).

But keep buying Call of Duty, EA Sports, Destiny, Diablo 3 and a gazillion microtrans $$$.... and congrats you are helping Bobby Kotick get his payout.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Stuff off my chest. First, the report from *As You Sow* is a far left leaning bias and I would double check their figures.

So are they saying that shareholders are voting no for these payment packages but they aren't listened to?
Just the opposite.

PC Gamer said:
Bobby Kotick of Activision, which recently celebrated record profits while laying off hundreds of employees, ranks highest of games industry CEOs according to the report. Kotick's pay is $28,698,375. That's 306 times more than his average employee. 92 percent of shareholders voted to approve this pay package. Together, this places him in the 45th spot.

EA's Andrew Wilson earns even more, netting $35,728,764, which is 371 times more than his average employee. 97 percent of EA's shareholders approved the pay package. He's ranked at 98.

Just to put it in perspective:

EPI.org said:
The 2017 CEO-to-worker compensation ratio of 312-to-1 was far greater than the 20-to-1 ratio in 1965 and more than five times greater than the 58-to-1 ratio in 1989 (although it was lower than the peak ratio of 344-to-1, reached in 2000).

So their pay is close to average.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That's it? Some hollywood actor can get 30 million for 2 months work.

They create thousands of jobs in the gaming industry so good for them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And Bob Igor is worth 350 million. The ratio between him and average worker must be even larger than this. Comparing those 2 numbers arent relevant, but merely just a comparison.

But at least Bob Igor can point to many successes within Disney. Can EA?

angelic

Banned
How much profit did he generate?

But the EA machine is already in place, generating profit. What does Wilson do specifically, that other people couldn't, to generate at least an amount greater than what he is paid?

In fact, I would argue he has generated a lack of profit, or a deficit. What decisions has he taken. Battlefront 2 was a PR nightmare. BF5 was a clusterfuck of failed expectations. Anthem is dying instantly, most famous for loading screens and bad reviews. I don't see where Wilson is earning any money here from any genius decisions. Apex came out despite EA, not because of them, and they still tried to botch it by launching next to Anthem.

I think he's a toxic CEO, he's fucked EA for at least 3 years, their critical reputation is damning, FIFA UT is keeping them afloat. How is that worth the millions they're paying him? Answer: it isnt.

But at least Bob Igor can point to many successes within Disney. Can EA?
EA and Activision have the greatest revenue model in the entire world that many would kill for. Small iterations of the same game guaranteed to be the best selling every year. Yes they can.

So what? If im successful and ceo. I also demand high pay. Why would a CEO will get equal or close ro equal salary as normal employee?

You all are jealous that u didn't become as successful as Kotick

Last edited:

Guiberu

So what? If im successful and ceo. I also demand high pay. Why would a CEO will get equal or close ro equal salary as normal employee?

You all are jealous that u didn't become as successful as Kotick

This.

800 dime-a-dozen blog writers / marketers get laid off, like they knew they would if the market didn't suggest their requirement, and suddenly everyone has an economics degree, and entirely blames Kotick's paycheck.

No.

That is not how the real world works.

If you want to get paid like Kotick. Be like Kotick.

If you don't want Kotick to get paid how much he does, because "it's not fair!", grow the fuck up.

Arkage

Banned
This thread is disappointingly filled with people dismissing massive income inequality. People can't just "be" like Bobby Kotick because there are very few CEO jobs that pay that amount of money. That's not an actual career path, no more so than pinning your hopes on getting into the NBA. People are upset over others making absurd amounts of money. Meanwhile our nation piles on debt year after year because god forbid we ever raise taxes on the superwealthy, forcing them to buy one less private jet plane that year than they originally planned. Christ. Talk about the idolization and worship of a job title and an economic/taxation system. "Status quo is best" gtfo.

Bobby Kotick is a woke CEO? Lol.

Last edited:

Guiberu

This thread is disappointingly filled with people dismissing massive income inequality. People can't just "be" like Bobby Kotick because there are very few CEO jobs that pay that amount of money. That's not an actual career path, no more so than pinning your hopes on getting into the NBA. People are upset over others making absurd amounts of money. Meanwhile our nation piles on the debt year after year because god forbid we ever raise taxes on the superwealthy, forcing them to buy one less private jet plane that year than they originally planned. Christ. Talk about the idolization and worship of a job title and an economic/taxation system. "Status quo is best" gtfo.

You're right.

We shouldn't remunerate people that dedicate their lives to a position/career path, and provide demonstrable benefits to their employer / the general populous.

We should instead pay everyone equally, from a big pot that gets shared around. Even those who don't want to work. Just to be really nice.

Bill Gates is worth $97.7 billion dollars. Is that alright? Should we take it away from him? Or is it actually okay, because he's chosen to give back?

Not enough CEO jobs? Make one.

National Debt? Not Bobby Kotick's problem. That's your government's job.

Kotick's problem, is Kotick.

He earned that money. And by that, I mean he was seen by a group of peers and shareholders to be worth paying that amount of money, as to ensure he didn't jump ship to a company that would pay him that amount of money.

I don't idolize the system. Or Kotick.

I idolize ambition, talent, and impetus.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

EA and Activision have the greatest revenue model in the entire world that many would kill for. Small iterations of the same game guaranteed to be the best selling every year. Yes they can.

Why does it feel like their games barely ever reach projections?

Why does it feel like their games barely ever reach projections?
That's personal projections, what they want to hit, not if they are profitable. Missed projections lower stock even if they are a stable profitable company. And hey, even Nintendo missed projections and had to re-assess

Last edited:

mckmas8808

That's personal projections, what they want to hit, not if they are profitable. Missed projections lower stock even if they are a stable profitable company. And hey, even Nintendo missed projections and had to re-assess

Okay good point. Maybe that's why we gamers can be confused by EA and Activision sometimes. We might be too focused on the "projections" and not the profit of a game.

Okay good point. Maybe that's why we gamers can be confused by EA and Activision sometimes. We might be too focused on the "projections" and not the profit of a game.
Sure, and we can get confused by businesses in general. A lot of big words thrown together with a bunch of numbers when there is a lot of stipulations. Lots of narrative control. But when we take the time to learn about definitions and how things work, it gets easier to both understand and ignore some news articles. This year specifically was definitely a rough year for projections especially when BR games start siphoning attention. When Netflix goes on record saying they're battling Fortnite for attention, then even the biggest publishers like T2 can get railroaded. But, just like any other thing in pop culture, attention has a short life span and people like things they can depend on, the big publishers. So, I'd guess with readjusted projections, and possibly a beginning fatigue to BR games, I think we're gonna start seeing publishers hitting projections.

Arkage

Banned
You're right.

We shouldn't remunerate people that dedicate their lives to a position/career path, and provide demonstrable benefits to their employer / the general populous.

We should instead pay everyone equally, from a big pot that gets shared around. Even those who don't want to work. Just to be really nice.

Bill Gates is worth $97.7 billion dollars. Is that alright? Should we take it away from him? Or is it actually okay, because he's chosen to give back?

Not enough CEO jobs? Make one.

National Debt? Not Bobby Kotick's problem. That's your government's job.

Kotick's problem, is Kotick.

He earned that money. And by that, I mean he was seen by a group of peers and shareholders to be worth paying that amount of money, as to ensure he didn't jump ship to a company that would pay him that amount of money.

I don't idolize the system. Or Kotick.

I idolize ambition, talent, and impetus.

He can earn as much money as he likes. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be taxed at much higher rates. And if you disagree with that notion, then yes, you idolize the status quo capitalism market of America. Also, lol at your strawman of "let's force everyone to get paid the same!!" Jesus what is this something you read in a 1950s red scare anti-communism flier.

And if you think MTX are providing a "demonstrable benefit to general populations" you don't know anything about the psychology of gambling.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This.

800 dime-a-dozen blog writers / marketers get laid off, like they knew they would if the market didn't suggest their requirement, and suddenly everyone has an economics degree, and entirely blames Kotick's paycheck.

No.

That is not how the real world works.

If you want to get paid like Kotick. Be like Kotick.

If you don't want Kotick to get paid how much he does, because "it's not fair!", grow the fuck up.
People typically don't like bosses. They don't like being told what to do and that bosses make more money than average scrubs.

These guys are overpaid bums right?

Boss quits or retires, and I bet every dime I have that team of 10 or 30 people now missing a boss will be fucking around, or clueless, or waiting for a different boss to fill in and tell them what to do. And most will come in late or leave home early hoping other bosses don't notice.

Guiberu

He can earn as much money as he likes. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be taxed at much higher rates. And if you disagree with that notion, then yes, you idolize the status quo capitalism market of America. Also, lol at your strawman of "let's force everyone to get paid the same!!" Jesus what is this something you read in a 1950s red scare anti-communism flier.

And if you think MTX are providing a "demonstrable benefit to general populations" you don't know anything about the psychology of gambling.

Again though ; tax is not Kotick's problem. In a multitude of ways.

This is your government's responsibility. The onus is entirely on them.

It's not a "strawman" It's a sentiment echoed by many. It was also satirical.

Kotick did not invent Microtransactions. He may have capitalized on them. But that's why he's a CEO.

My overall point here is that Kotick, love him or hate him, has done nothing directly, to warrant this current resurrection of hatred.

What's yours?

Top Bottom