• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard Sued By California Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture

jason10mm

Gold Member
So many of these things end with hiring some "company for outside review". What credentials are required for this and what results do they generate? You never hear about that part.

It feels like a good old fashioned mob "protection racket" shake down writ large.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not really, by all accounts Bobby Kotick is a highly intelligent dude who has been hustling for a long time. This type of crisis is exactly why you want an experienced CEO at the helm and why they get paid the big bucks.

The one thing that this shitshow should tell everyone is that blaming Activision/Bobby Kotick for Blizzard's failures is missing the plot. Blizzard has a unique shitshow of a culture that was around long before Activision came into the picture. I cannot blame Activision for forcing Blizzard to release shit like WC3R when they roll in and see drunkeness and unprofessional behavior and don't want to throw more money after bad.
I have no doubt the guy is intelligent. But if you have Bobby Kotick of all people saying your response is tone deaf then holy shit.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Hasn’t Activision built up lots of woke credit tho, pride, BLM, black squares?

Surely that buys some decent deflection like with all the other companies with their pride, BLM, black squares.
That stuff might be able to distract from the usual kind of corporate bull crap, but Bobby Kotick could come out and give a press conference in a designer rainbow 3 piece suit and it's still wouldn't be able to distract the media away from the fact that a large portion of his company has been mistreating women and sexually harassing them.

There is no get out of jail free card for that.

Last edited:

Shmunter

That stuff might be able to distract from the usual kind of corporate bull crap, but Bobby Kotick could come out and give a press conference in a designer rainbow 3 piece suit and it's still wouldn't be able to distract the media away from the fact that a large portion of his company has been mistreating women and sexually harassing them.

Hehe. It’s all performative in the end.

We now live in a world where the most appropriate response from Blizzard came from Bobby Kotick.

Kotick most probably sees that as an opportunity to replace Blizzard's leadership in his favor.

My god, lay off the pitchfork mentality and chill your frikkin' nipples.
There's nobody here to whom you've got to prove something.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

We now live in a world where the most appropriate response from Blizzard came from Bobby Kotick.

This timeline has some twists and turns.

Kottick is such a good guy!

Oh the lawsuit is over already?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Kotick most probably sees that as an opportunity to replace Blizzard's leadership in his favor.

My god, lay off the pitchfork mentality and chill your frikkin' nipples.
There's nobody here to whom you've got to prove something.
I am chill? I was just trying to illustrate that there is nothing that can distract from this. Which is what many companies use the stuff he mentioned for. Distractions.

You seem to be the one that needs chill. Holy hell.
I've made like 2 comments here, you on the other hand...

Also, you're aware that many of those who are personally accused in that lawsuit are not working at Blizzard anymore right?
Afrasiabi for example left the company in June 2020, how do you know he wasn't "let go" because of his toxic workplace behavior? Do you really think removing a few NPCs and unpersoning their ex-workers is going to change anything?

Removing those NPCs helps nobody, but you are cheerleading like this:

6c92e1f6ad93e36fb98205dac4f8f253.jpg

Nobody_Important

I've made like 2 comments here, you on the other hand...

Also, you're aware that many of those who are personally accused in that lawsuit are not working at Blizzard anymore right?
Afrasiabi for example left the company in June 2020, how do you know he wasn't "let go" because of his toxic workplace behavior? Do you really think removing a few NPCs and unpersoning their ex-workers is going to change anything?

Removing those NPCs helps nobody, but you are cheerleading like this:

6c92e1f6ad93e36fb98205dac4f8f253.jpg
I mentioned Afrasiabi being let go already on the previous page. I also said that I got too emotionally involved and that it's better for everyone to take a step back and breathe until we know more. I also said that removing the NPCs was just a gesture. I wasn't cheering anything. I literally said "good" and then asked for real action. And that was it.

At least try reading the thread before you go on these rants of yours please. It saves everyone a bit of time.

Last edited:
I mentioned Afrasiabi being let go already on the previous page. I also said that I got too emotionally involved and that it's better for everyone to take a step back and breathe until we know more. I also said that removing the NPCs was just a gesture. I wasn't cheering anything. I literally said "good" and then asked for real action. And that was it.
At least try reading the thread before you go on these rants of yours please. It saves everyone a bit of time.

Oh I've seen your reply to EL, but that didn't prevent you from keep going on.

As if Kotick would have any other choice than throw Blizzard under the bus considering the circumstances. As if the media would not make things worse by throwing fuel on the fire, despite critical lack of further information.
Truth is, you've already condemned Blizzard and now you're relishing every moment of this out of some sort of righteous shadenfreude. How about you try condemning the specific actions of those who brought misery upon others, instead of adding to the mob mentality?

You seemed to like Asmongold's response, then f*cking apply it to your own words.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Oh I've seen your reply to EL, but that didn't prevent you from keep going on.

As if Kotick would have any other choice than throw Blizzard under the bus considering the circumstances. As if the media would not make things worse by throwing fuel on the fire, despite critical lack of further information.
Truth is, you've already condemned Blizzard and now you're relishing every moment of this out of some sort of righteous shadenfreude. How about you try condemning the specific actions of those who brought misery upon others, instead of adding to the mob mentality?

You seemed to like Asmongold's response, then f*cking apply it to your own words.
- You bring up Afrasiabi being gone as if I didn't know, but I brought up him leaving already myself a page or so back.

- You said I was cheering on the NPC removal and that it was an empty gesture, but I said myself that it was exactly that a page or so back. I literally said "It's a nice gesture, but that's all it is." Does that sound like I'm cheering it on?

You need help. Your weird obsession with popping up randomly and going off on me while not bothering to read the thread is starting to get old and frankly a bit embarrassing. Especially when I call you on it and you conveniently dance past the fact you didn't bother reading what I said and then instead focus on something else I said.

That's all I have left to say to you on this. If you still wanna complain at me then PM me. I'm not going to derail the thread anymore over something this ridiculous.

Last edited:

yurinka

As you said this a broad and complicated topic. I always find this idea that women have different career preferences than men and are more family oriented to be interesting. I'm not sure that is the case and more an issue of outdated gender roles and laws. As an example, maternal and paternal leave are not equal which automatically assigns the woman in the relationship to the role of carer while the male has to work.
I don't see why women should be judged in an interview on the possibility that they might have kids in the future while a male shouldn't. But I guess it's a long process for change
It's been researched many times and many areas, and seems to be what I said. In fact, there's something that not sure its name in English but it's something like 'the Norwegian paradox'. It's the fact that some of these differences between genders is bigger in the countries that had a more equal and non sexist tradition and regulation for years. In Nordic European countries there are less women in these careers and more of them leave the career to raise their kids than in countries supposed to be more sexists like some from South America. The more equal, rich, non 'oppresed' and more 'freedom of choice' they have, the more they focus on certain stereotypes.

Obviously all these things are 'on average', since there's always cases of everything everywhere.

- You bring up Afrasiabi being gone as if I didn't know, but I brought up him leaving already myself a page or so back.

- You said I was cheering on the NPC removal and that it was an empty gesture, but I said myself that it was exactly that a page or so back. I literally said "It's a nice gesture, but that's all it is." Does that sound like I'm cheering it on?

You need help. Your weird obsession with popping up randomly and going off on me while not bothering to read the thread is starting to get old and frankly a bit embarrassing. Especially when I call you on it and you conveniently dance past the fact you didn't bother reading what I said and then instead focus on something else I said.

That's all I have left to say to you on this. If you still wanna complain at me then PM me. I'm not going to derail the thread anymore over something this ridiculous.

I think you forgot to mention some things:
  • First you use this tragic misery to defend diversity hiring when said quotas are actively used as a tools of competition to oust others out of the company.
  • Then you literally laugh at somebody describing the removal of those NPCs as censorship.
  • After that you describe the removal of the NPCs as a "nice gesture" when in reality it's just bullcrap.
  • Then you crawl up Kotick's rear.
  • Then you cheer on the press for perpetuating the witch hunt mentality.
  • And finally you accuse a "large portion of his company" of "mistreating women and sexually harassing them".
Yeah man, I've read your replies and you wonder why people shake their heads your your comments.
You literally keep spamming this thread with your comments that add nothing to the discussion, except your gleeful outrage.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I think you forgot to mention some things:
  • First you use this tragic misery to defend diversity hiring when said quotas are actively used as a tools of competition to oust others out of the company.
  • Then you literally laugh at somebody describing the removal of those NPCs as censorship.
  • After that you describe the removal of the NPCs as a "nice gesture" when in reality it's just bullcrap.
  • Then you crawl up Kotick's rear.
  • Then you cheer on the press for perpetuating the witch hunt mentality.
  • And finally you accuse a "large portion of his company" of "mistreating women and sexually harassing them".
Yeah man, I've read your replies and you wonder why people shake their heads your your comments.
You literally keep spamming this thread with your comments that add nothing to the discussion, except your gleeful outrage.

I'll take the bait. I can't help myself because you kind of exposed yourself here.

1. How is me saying Blizzard will not fire the people who walk out defending diversity hiring? I said they are not going to fire them because it would be an absolute PR shit show. They would be buried.

2. I laughed because it's not censorship and it's funny to me that anyone would describe it as such. As someone else said it's blizzards own game. They are free to change it as they please. Nobody is being censored.

3. I "crawled up his rear" because I said his response was the best so far? Okay? You got me. You sure showed me. Gold star.

4. Where in the actual hell did I cheer on the press or any "witch hunt" in that? All I said was that Activision will not be able to distract from this story with performative virtue signaling due to the severity of the charges being alleged against them. Which is true. The story isn't going anywhere. Especially with the staff walking out today.

5. By large portion I meant Blizzard as a company. Which is obviously a large portion of their business. Not literally most of their employees. I will actually give you that one though. I did a poor job wording that.

Other than that though your interpretation of what I said and what I actually said is insane. You really do have some kind of mentality when it comes to anything I say. It's completely bizarre man. You need to take a step back and just relax. Which is ironic because you were the one that started all of this by telling me to chill. Because it's definitely not me that is "screeching" right now.

Last edited:
Forget the semantics for a second. Asmongold lays out pretty much exactly the sentiment behind my sarcastic reaction to this.

Its just a virtue signalling exercise that doesn't fix anything. That's my problem with it. Its fake.

Anyway, as Lore wisely suggested. Lets let the legal process play out before commenting further.

Oh I agree with you there it is virtue signaling giving the shitshow that has happened they thought well we will just remove these names and we are golden.

Asmongold is right that this is virtue signaling but it is not censorship in any way and that these names being in WOW is the least of Blizzards problems right now.

I'll take the bait. I can't help myself because you kind of exposed yourself here.

Uh yeah, I'm so exposed... wtf dude.

Other than that though your interpretation of what I said and what I actually said is insane. You really do have some kind of mentality when it comes to anything I say. It's completely bizarre man. You need to take a step back and just relax. Which is ironic because you were the one that started all of this by telling me to chill. Because it's definitely not me that is "screeching" right now.

I haven't replied to a comment of yours in months.
Stop making this about you, I just find your comments in here ridiculous because of how gleeful they are adding to the mob mentality.

I find it really troublesome if somebody is so happy with their shadenfreude when the stuff that is going down here is just tragic and way more complex than just "lawl, Blizzard is exploiting women".

Nobody_Important

Stop making this about you, I just find your comments in here ridiculous because of how gleeful they are adding to the mob mentality.

I find it really troublesome if somebody is so happy with their shadenfreude when the stuff that is going down here is just tragic and way more complex than just "lawl, Blizzard is exploiting women".
And I agree with you. It is way more complex. Which is why I liked Koticks statement because he is taking it way more seriously apparently than the other people we have heard from so far. Regardless of how others or myself might feel about him he is right this time. Which is why I posted the tweet. I made the comment I did along with it because historically he is the one that is tone deaf. So for him to come out and say that was really surprising to me.

Try not taking everything I say or do in the worst possible way and maybe we would actually agree more often instead of pissing back and forth needlessly. Because its obvious that we both agree this mess is horrible even if we don't agree on how it should be handled.

Last edited:

Thabass

Honestly dude, you're the one that's coming off way more standoffish than Nobody_Important Nobody_Important . Take a step back and leave the thread for a bit.

Because its obvious that we both agree this mess is horrible even if we don't agree on how it should be handled.
Alright fair enough, just go easy on the social media mob rhetoric and the guilty by accusation mentality.
I'm just appalled as you by the suicide of the female Blizzard employee, but the lawsuit is not about that and there is a very really possibility that this story is used in order to enact other nefarious power-plays.

I want justice not social panic.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh I agree with you there it is virtue signaling giving the shitshow that has happened they thought well we will just remove these names and we are golden.

Asmongold is right that this is virtue signaling but it is not censorship in any way and that these names being in WOW is the least of Blizzards problems right now.

It is censorship, look up any definition and you'll see I'm right in calling it that. Its even a particularly Stalinist application where named individuals are erased from pre-existing texts because they are out of favour politically.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Now this is something to be outright disgusted about:

Not really if you look at the timing. That's from Blizzcon 2013, and the push to make a serious case against Cosby didn't really start to bubble up til 2014, and of course he was only convicted in 2018.

Yes, allegations were swirling for some time before that, but Cosby never wavered in claiming his innocence and lets be honest an awful lot of people really didn't want to believe Cliff Huxtable was a serial sex offender!

Something that technically he still isn't ironically enough due to his conviction being vacated earlier this year.

I take no pleasure in defending dirtbags, and especially Activision dirtbags, but its very apparent to me that there's a distinct pattern to everything that's going on, and it reeks of political power-play. I think its an interesting case because I can't think of a previous instance of public shaming was applied at corporate scale.

What worries me if this proves successful the floodgates are going to open and the activists are really going to try and take total control of the industry.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Thank god we have decided to have a bit more professionalism in the modern workplace and related spaces nowadays.

There is a hr guy in one of the photos...
No doubt. Things have cleaned up a lot over the decades.

I know in my industry, people party at annual meetings at hotels and you always get a few drunks. Doesn't mean all of us are. There's also some partiers that stay up and show up at the meetings the next day hung over or late. Doesn't mean all of us are midnight boozers. Last three companies I've worked at, some of us hit a strip joint after dinner (women included too). Doesn't mean all 300 of us are sex fiends trying to rape strippers.

One story I heard before I joined a company was that during one these big meetings, one guy hired an escort to be his companion at dinner so he wasnt a loner. Sounds fucking nuts. But the story is he just wanted to come with someone and she was actually super nice. Doesn't mean everyone at the company are banging hookers all day.

If you go back far enough, sales people and clients would party, go to sports events and retailer store managers ordering deals the old way (store rep comes in with a sheet of paper) would get perks like TVs and fishing rods if they order enough. And both sides would fudge orders ripping off the company, or wink wink, the store manager orders a ton, gets his perk and returns the product. Whos going to track that before hardcore computer systems track that? Nobody. Does that mean all employees at the company are scammers?

Key thing is context.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I'm curious. What do people think about banning booze on the premises of work (for game AND tech companies?)

I personally feel it's a blatant risk having alcohol on the premises of work. Is there a good reason for it?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If this is true then Jesus fuck they absolutely deserve everything coming to them cuz that is totally fucked up.
its true. the state lawsuit mentions some more lurid details. She had pics of her vagina passed around an office work party. She then went on a work trip with her boss where she committed suicide. Her boss was found with lube and a butt plug in his hotel......

I'm curious. What do people think about banning booze on the premises of work (for game AND tech companies?)

I personally feel it's a blatant risk having alcohol on the premises of work. Is there a good reason for it?
If you run a major to moderate-sized company and serve alchol at the company parties, you are a major fool. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I didn't know this was a thing in the real world tbh. I've only seen drinking at work in the movies and usually from a grizzled detective lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I'm not for it. Too much risk of drunks. I've never worked ata company that allows it either unless it's a special lunch or dinner outing. And even then you should watch how much you booze it up for sake of not looking like red nose Bill Clinton. Frowned upon if youre spotted drunk at a work event.

Then again, who knows. Maybe in countries where people drink at work, its not so bad and nobody gets drunk because people are all smart enough not to go overboard.

Hari Seldon

I feel like this is a problem specific to CA techbro culture. It is the result of 30 years of neckbeards being treated like gods, no professionalism at all, and the uniquely neoliberal belief that if you yell and scream enough about social justice it is the equivalent of purchasing a medieval indulgence in that it makes up for all of the raping and blatent greed that will happen in your career.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I feel like this is a problem specific to CA techbro culture. It is the result of 30 years of neckbeards being treated like gods, no professionalism at all, and the uniquely neoliberal belief that if you yell and scream enough about social justice it is the equivalent of purchasing a medieval indulgence in that it makes up for all of the raping and blatent greed that will happen in your career.
If booze is part of tech culture (I never thought of it till now), it's also likely part of the perks and coolness of working in tech. Other industries whether it's straightlaced banking and law to something more active like a company running indoor climbing courses probably have a head office that is pretty low key, traditional and professional.

Unless all these articles are BS the past 20 years, tech companies flush with cash amp it up with games, free food, wacky fancy interiors, dry cleaning services built into the lobby, probably got a pinball machine in the cafe etc.... All kinds of fun and distractions to keep them there, having fun and not feeling depressed.

That kind of stuff probably links with crunch time so they feel better at the office.

Its like the wild west. So what you may get is wild west culture.

Last edited:
It is censorship, look up any definition and you'll see I'm right in calling it that. Its even a particularly Stalinist application where named individuals are erased from pre-existing texts because they are out of favour politically.

Politically yes but this has fuck all to do with politics and sure as shit is not comparable to Stalin in any way so please enough.

CGiRanger

Banned
If you run a major to moderate-sized company and serve alchol at the company parties, you are a major fool. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen...
I'm surprised then it hasn't happened yet, since I'm pretty sure Alcohol has been a huge part of the Silicon Valley tech culture for decades now.
I didn't know this was a thing in the real world tbh. I've only seen drinking at work in the movies and usually from a grizzled detective lol
I know in Japan they've got a huge drinking culture with your office buddies. But I had assumed that such things took place after work and off the company premises (at karaoke and such) and not actually in the offices themselves.
I'm not for it. Too much risk of drunks. I've never worked ata company that allows it either unless it's a special lunch or dinner outing. And even then you should watch how much you booze it up for sake of not looking like red nose Bill Clinton. Frowned upon if youre spotted drunk at a work event.

Then again, who knows. Maybe in countries where people drink at work, its not so bad and nobody gets drunk because people are all smart enough not to go overboard.
Likewise i don't get it myself. Apparently a ton of people need that alcohol buzz to get through the day or week. But I mean, if that's so then do if off the clock and definitely off the company premises.
If booze is part of tech culture (I never thought of it till now), it's also likely part of the perks and coolness of working in tech. Other industries whether it's straightlaced banking and law to something more active like a company running indoor climbing courses probably have a head office that is pretty low key, traditional and professional.

Unless all these articles are BS the past 20 years, tech companies flush with cash amp it up with games, free food, wacky fancy interiors, dry cleaning services built into the lobby, probably got a pinball machine in the cafe etc.... All kinds of fun and distractions to keep them there, having fun and not feeling depressed.

That kind of stuff probably links with crunch time so they feel better at the office.

Its like the wild west. So what you may get is wild west culture.
Indeed, I'm sure it's part of that culture along with the other items you mentioned. It's a "PERK" to lure high quality employees or such (not sure I agree that drinking employees are high quality ones but w/e). I don't know if this sort of thing was present in the Apple/Microsoft tech culture times, but it seems like it boomed in the late 2000's in both new/social media tech and startup cultures. Western game companies especially seemed to latch onto it heavily. I guess some nerds really wanted it for some reason.

Last edited:
Now this is something to be outright disgusted about:

Why? This in 2013, before Hannibal Burress' viral comedy bit that mainstreamed knowledge of the Cosby accusations and everything else in the Kotaku article is just evidence of people partying in a hotel during a convention and talking about getting laid in a group chat.

nush

No doubt. Things have cleaned up a lot over the decades.

I know in my industry, people party at annual meetings at hotels and you always get a few drunks. Doesn't mean all of us are. There's also some partiers that stay up and show up at the meetings the next day hung over or late. Doesn't mean all of us are midnight boozers. Last three companies I've worked at, some of us hit a strip joint after dinner (women included too). Doesn't mean all 300 of us are sex fiends trying to rape strippers.

That's why there are often work two parties (At least end of year big ones), the one for all the staff where they can act up and make fools of themselves. Then the real party a couple of days later with a much more select guest list and finer alchohol selection.

One story I heard before I joined a company was that during one these big meetings, one guy hired an escort to be his companion at dinner so he wasnt a loner. Sounds fucking nuts. But the story is he just wanted to come with someone and she was actually super nice. Doesn't mean everyone at the company are banging hookers all day.
Sounds like the guy actually hired a professional dinner date escort, what escorts used to be before it meant *Nudge nudge wink wink* prostitute.

If you go back far enough, sales people and clients would party, go to sports events and retailer store managers ordering deals the old way (store rep comes in with a sheet of paper) would get perks like TVs and fishing rods if they order enough. And both sides would fudge orders ripping off the company, or wink wink, the store manager orders a ton, gets his perk and returns the product. Whos going to track that before hardcore computer systems track that? Nobody. Does that mean all employees at the company are scammers?

Key thing is context.

Naaa, I was pulling that shit in 2001when I worked for an IT company in purchasing. I got a free PS2 if I ordered enough back up media. I had those tapes stuffed all over the place in any store room that was low traffic and not visited by the head of IT (Who ironically kept signing every PO I put in front of him for these damn backup tapes).

Anyway all that shit still goes on at a high level and people work out together on each side how to get around the rules companies put in place.

Top Bottom