• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard Sued By California Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Did blizzard actually confirm that these implemented changes were a direct result of legal loss or mandate because of these incidents? I'm not defending them, simply stating that anyone can come with allegations and there is simply no way to ensure someone in your workplace won't create an incident at any time - irrespective of the trainings or plans.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they implemented all of this right around the same time that the incidents occurred. I'm also sure that one of the bigger names in the lawsuit Alex Afrasiabi (the guy whose office was the "Cosby Suite") quietly "left" the company after being there since Vanilla WoW shortly after Blizzard became aware of the investigation is also just a coincidence.

Crazy how these things work out.

Last edited:

Ellery

Good stuff they are being active about it. Love to see it even though it means Diablo 4 will probably be even later than I already expect it to be, but I would rather have them delay the game a bit and see Blizzard heal and the toxic waste that works there to be thrown out.

oagboghi2

I gotta say as a 36 year old who remembers Bobby Kotick being on gamers shitlist since the 90's and what a real sack of shit he is, I am not surprised that they have been trying to cover up the shit that has happened at Blizzard.

I feel horrible for the women who have gone through this shit and hope they get some justice.
Bobby Kotick has nothing to do with this. Do you think he personally runs Blizzard?

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they implemented all of this right around the same time that the incidents occurred. I'm also sure that one of the bigger names in the lawsuit Alex Afrasiabi quietly leaving the company after being there since Vanilla WoW shortly after Blizzard became aware of the investigation is also just a coincidence.

Crazy how these things work out.
No, you're not sure - that's the whole point. I'm going to leave it here, you are absolutely not taking into account the climate these days of guilty until proven innocent and it cuts both ways - for the little person who can't afford to legally battle, or the corporations who face these types of cases all the time. Full disclosure and transparency are never guaranteed in these types of cases regardless of outcome, guilty or innocent but you can be sure that any corporation will sever heads or put them on pikes to appease the mob.

"improve conditions for employees at the company, especially women, and in particular women of color and transgender women, nonbinary people, and other marginalized groups."

WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE NON-BINARY PEOPLE OF COLOR FOR ONCE

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think the writing is on the wall for Blizzard. Sad to see it ending like this. They drank their rockstar kool-aid too hard.

That is beyond fucked up

Screenshot-2021-07-22-at-01-52-30.png

Here's the full excerpt from the lawsuit. Absolutely awful
Holy shit

What a horrible piece of crap. Hopefully this doesn't just disappear and the responsible gets fucked really hard.

Reallink

Surprising no one, the Strike/Walkout demands seem less to do with frat club culture or sexual harassment, and more to do with leftivisist identity politics:

1. An end to mandatory arbitration clauses in all employee contracts, current and future. Arbitration clauses protect abusers and limit the ability of victims to seek restitution.

2. The adoption of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and promotion policies designed to improve representation among employees at all levels, agreed upon by employees in a company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion organization. Current practices have led to women, in particular women of color and transgender women, nonbinary people, and other marginalized groups that are vulnerable to gender discrimination not being hired fairly for new roles when compared to men.

3. Publication of data on relative compensation (including equity grants and profit sharing), promotion rates, and salary ranges for employees of all genders and ethnicities at the company. Current practices have led to aforementioned groups not being paid or promoted fairly.

4. Empower a company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion task force to hire a third party to audit ABK’s reporting structure, HR department, and executive staff. It is imperative to identify how current systems have failed to prevent employee harassment, and to propose new solutions to address these issues.

Their faces when they come back from the walk out to pay cuts, demotions, and pink slips to make way for "equity":

giphy.gif

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Surprising no one, the Strike/Walkout demands seem less to do with frat club culture or sexual harassment, and more to do with leftivisist identity politics:

Frat bro's faces when they come back from the walk out to pay cuts, demotions, and pink slips to make way for "equity":

giphy.gif
What a surprise.

I dont see one thing about qualifications and performance being a factor into getting jobs, promotions and pay raises.

Nobody_Important

What a surprise.

I dont see one thing about qualifications and performance being a factor into getting jobs, promotions and pay raises.
They don't say it because they don't need to. Obviously qualifications and performance will be taken into account just like every other company on earth.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They don't say it because they don't need to. Obviously qualifications and performance will be taken into account just like every other company on earth.
It should be stated then.

If some groups want representation, then state it combines with qualifications. Dont be discriminatory and just state appearance. State merit too.

There's a difference between people wanting better representation due to looks, vs. better representation due to their candidates having equal or better qualifications/performance, but white guys are purposely still getting the good jobs and promotions.

Its like school admissions. The trend lately is to let in losers who shouldnt qualify because they have worse marks than others. But they get in due to special needs groups. Marks arent important anymore.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

If some groups want representation, then state it combines with qualifications. Dont be discriminatory and just state appearance. State merit too.

There's a difference between people wanting better representation due to looks, vs. better representation due to their candidates having equal or better qualifications/performance, but white guys are purposely still getting the good jobs and promotions.

Its like school admissions. The trend lately is to let in losers who shouldnt qualify because they have worse marks than others. But they get in due to special needs groups. Marks arent important anymore.
It's a good thing they aren't asking for that then.

Thabass

They don't actually need to state that they want that when this would already be taken into account. They're not going to hire people just because they're of a certain race, gender, sexuality, etc...

They still need to go through the normal HR process of finding the talent.

It's not as clear-cut as "OH YOU'RE A BLACK TRANSGENDER GAY PERSON! YOU'RE HIRED".

This is a huge misconception on how this is handled.

rkofan87

Gold Member
They don't actually need to state that they want that when this would already be taken into account. They're not going to hire people just because they're of a certain race, gender, sexuality, etc...

It's not as clear-cut as "OH YOU'RE A BLACK TRANSGENDER GAY PERSON! YOU'RE HIRED".

i wish that was true but its not just look at abby r from giant bomb.

Thabass

i wish that was true but its not just look at abby r from giant bomb.
Not every employee works out. Some may seem good, but end up being shitty. That happens with any industry and with every race and other human description. You're just looking at any excuse to exclude these people from at least having a shot of getting a job. And that's just as annoying as woke culture being in our faces.

These people just want a chance and this is what this protest is about. But I can assure you, that these people will have just as much of a chance as a white person. They need to show demonstrative skills to get the jobs offered.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Not every employee works out. Some may seem good, but end up being shitty. That happens with any industry and with every race and other human description. You're just looking at any excuse to exclude these people from at least having a shot of getting a job. And that's just as annoying as woke culture being in our faces.

These people just want a chance and this is what this protest is about. But I can assure you, that these people will have just as much of a chance as a white person. They need to show demonstrative skills to get the jobs offered.
you are right i just had a bad flash back to abby at gb thats all.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Their faces when they come back from the walk out to pay cuts, demotions, and pink slips to make way for "equity":

giphy.gif

Are they situated in an "at will" state? Oh dear...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Says who?

The right thing to pitch for is qualifications and performance, and then let things shake out. If it's 100% white guys so be it. If it's 100% minority women so be it.

Thats why stating it is imperative for transparency.

It's like companies making public statements they want 50% of execs or board of directors being women. Sounds to me they are purposely skewing to women to hit a ratio instead of just picking the best people to sit in those chairs regardless of looks.

Thabass

Says who?

The right thing to pitch for is qualifications and performance, and then let things shake out. If it's 100% white guys so be it. If it's 100% minority women so be it.

It's like companies making public statements they want 50% of execs or board of directors being women. Sounds to me they are purposely skewing to women to hit a ratio instead of just picking the best people to sit in those chairs regardless of looks.
It's already implied because THAT'S FUCKING EVERY COMPANY'S POLICY. That's what hiring managers do AS A JOB. They interview and hire the right candidates.

You don't need to write their fucking job descriptions in this proposal.

Schnauzer

I just want to say my heart goes out to all the victims.

Activision-Blizzard products are entertainment purchase that now provide me with guilt and sorrow instead of joy....

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Blizzard isn't going to fire them lol

Not immediately... give it a few months til things quiet down though...

Like I said, based on past experience I wouldn't put anything past Activision. More to the point though, if this action goes ahead I don't see how they can accommodate their demands. These people are making demands as if they are part of a collective, when they are just employees.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's already implied because THAT'S FUCKING EVERY COMPANY'S POLICY. That's what hiring managers do AS A JOB. They interview and hire the right candidates.

You don't need to write their fucking job descriptions in this proposal.
Well there you go then.

If theyre doing their jobs hiring based on qualifications, then whats with the complaint about more representation?

Last edited:

Thabass

Well there you go then.

If theyre doing their jobs hiring based on qualifications, then whats with the complaint about more representation?

Because they're not giving equal opportunity to people of color, genders, and orientations. They're also treating women like shit and not giving them opportunities to climb the ladder. This falls under the diversity trainings that is covered in the proposal they mentioned.

Thabass

Equality of opportunity does not mean Equality of outcome. Equity = Bullshit too
I don't disagree. Hence why they interview any applicant that has the opportunity and needs to be vetted. Hence the hiring process.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You know exactly what it's about. Stop being disingenuous. Come on.
You dont know that until courts prove special groups are purposely all getting gimped being hired and promoted despite having equal or better qualifications. Lets face it. Gaming development is a guy dominated industry. You cant deny that. So if more men get perks and promos it makes sense as there's more of them.

What youre assuming is HR and managers are purposely stepping on special needs groups heads for sake old boys club antics.

Dont assume.

As I said earlier, theres lots of industries that are heavy into men or women. Just because a company has lots of guys or gals on the payroll doesn't mean its oppression city against the other group.

Just because every country seems about 50/50 men and women doesnt mean every job will be 50/50.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good. Now if they would just get rid of the real people involved.
And why would you want that?

Another assumption that every WoW employee is a sexual predator or does discriminatory hiring practices? The vast majority of employees at every company arent even involved with hiring workers or setting wages.

CGiRanger

Banned

Another assumption that every WoW employee is a sexual predator or does discriminatory hiring practices? The vast majority of employees at every company arent even involved with hiring workers or setting wages.
And again, are they still even there? The offices have been closed since early 2000 and there's been a ton of departures since then, and there were already tons of departures before that point from the times when these events took place. (a good chunk of them probably went to Morhaime's new place)

Also, Asmongold. I can see why people like him, the opening "poor taste" joke he makes made me laugh. But yeah, he points out the idiot from Blizzard who publicly got upset at the fans. There's someone who should be let go as well for utterly horrendous judgement.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Did I say every WoW employee? No. I didn't. I said the people involved.

Try reading a bit closer before you go off.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And again, are they still even there? The offices have been closed since early 2000 and there's been a ton of departures since then, and there were already tons of departures before that point from the times when these events took place.

Also, Asmongold. I can see why people like him, the opening "poor taste" joke he makes made me laugh. But yeah, he points out the idiot from Blizzard who publicly got upset at the fans. There's someone who should be let go as well for utterly horrendous judgement.

Hahaha! That KFC analogy is hilarious.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Did I say every WoW employee? No. I didn't. I said the people involved.

Try reading a bit closer before you go off.
You should clarify yourself then.

Mana's post said WoW employees are getting deleted. And you said get rid of the real people involved with the name.

Not all WoW employees are going to be associated with the accusations.

Nobody_Important

You should clarify yourself then.
I did clarify. I literally said "people involved" as in the people who are responsible for all of this mess. I never said "every WoW employee like you insinuated.

It's not my fault you didn't read it properly.
It is censorship though! How else would you choose to describe trimming "objectionable" content from a work?

Think about it FFS.
Wait so you think they should just leave references to people like that? You can't be serious lol

Last edited:

FStubbs

Says who?

What actually happens in the real world is one of the following:

1) Most of the candidates are +/- dead even so certain groups get the "benefit of the doubt" and you end up with near 100% white guys.
2) A certain guy knows a certain other guy and gets a leg up
3) A job description is posted that is tailor made and specific for the guy they already wanted to hire (though I guess this falls under #2)
4) When it comes time for promotion, certain people get "exceptions" for "reasons" while others have to wait their turn by the book.
5) A candidate is rejected because they're not a "culture fit"
6) Traits that are seen as positive in white guys are seen as negative in anyone else - these include assertiveness, thinking outside of the box, take-charge attitude, individualism, etc.

Top Bottom