• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to pre-release comments from Aaron Greenberg, Halo Infinite would be a "visual showcase", is it the case?

Is Halo Infinite a visual showcase?

• Yay

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 142 94.7%

• Total voters

Zones

Depends if you play with RTX ON or not…

D2-A60606-4-AFC-4-F4-B-819-D-DF81706-E7-B57.jpg

Last edited:

Electret

No. It's mediocre even by last-gen standards.

What I'd really like to know is what the hell that reveal trailer was that looked an entire generation ahead of the actual release. I think it's sort of gotten lost amidst all the issues with the game, but it continues to strike me as one of the most disingenuous, bait-and-switch reveals ever pulled.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not really. And the further you drill down, the worse it all gets.

As an Xbox One game, its fine, but it pales in comparison to the best of last-gen, like Red Dead Redemption 2, and it falls well short of other open world titles like Assassin Creed and Horizon. It's lacking, but serviceable.
As an Xbox Series X game, its an entire generation behind virtually any of Sony's AAA PS5 titles and a good amount of third party titles. 343i did the best they could to salvage the disastrous presentation after the internet kicked their teeth in, but its polishing a turd. While playing Halo Infinite, it barely looks better than a touched-up Halo 3 or Halo Reach. And those are Xbox 360 games.

The CEO was fired and the studio was gutted for a reason.

Last edited:

RickMasters

No. And I love playing big team battle, at least a few times in a week. But visually showcase? Nah. The multiplayer gameplay/ gunplay can go toe to toe with the best FPS ever made. It’s never been a slouch in that department. But visually it’s not, top tier.

Mind you we all know the game was in development hell. Atleast they didn’t mess up halos raw mechanics. But for sure they could have done a lot better with it visually. And maybe having an Xbox one version could have been the reason for that.

343 spent years developing the new 'slip-space' engine promising state-of-the-art visuals. It's a shame that the most 'diverse and inclusive' studio ever created forgot to hire talent capable of realising their absurd AAAA claims.

The only thing that really stood out in Infinite was the high geometric detail and impressive 'metallic' surfaces. It's nothing short of a complete and utter disaster that Infinite failed to utilise any of the marquee Series X feature-set. You know the super cool technologies that Microsoft talks about but doesn't actually implement in any of their games i.e. SFS, DirectML, RT, Mesh shading, hardware-based VRS...

The problem is that Phil Spencer is too busy trying to please everyone rather than attempting to win the generation. I'm still reeling from his recent statements regarding quality exclusives - 'making great games wouldn't make a difference for Xbox'. What an absurd claim. Do you really believe that Xbox would be being outsold 3 - 1 by PlayStation if games like Infinite had lived up to the hype as a true must-have system seller? If it wasn't for Sony completely embracing all this wierdo 'woke' shit then I would have abandoned Xbox years ago and stuck with PS5/Switch. Starfield will single-handedly save this generation for Microsoft but the damage is done because Phil is a pussy and is scared to do anything that will help Xbox stand out.

What I'd really like to know is what the hell that reveal trailer was that looked an entire generation ahead of the actual release. I think it's sort of gotten lost amidst all the issues with the game, but it continues to strike me as one of the most disingenuous, bait-and-switch reveals ever pulled.
It was just a CGI film with no relation to any game. This was outsourced to a 3rd party animation team and nothing to do with the actual team that makes the game.

But why are you surprised? Xbox did the whole fake reveal of the Kinect where nothing that was shown was real. Not even the voice commands.

Compare that to the reveal of Skyward Sword, where the Wiimote broke on stage because all the mobile phones in the room broke connectivity, all because Nintendo want to show the real machine working. One company care about being truthful, the other lie to consumers each year and every year.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

There are some amazing scenes and bits, but as an overall package its no where near a visual showcase.

I am also not sure why they tried to push that narrative as graphical fidelity was never a Halo selling point.

Hot5pur

Visually it was pretty good, nothing too impressive.
As a game it was actually quite nice.
I don't mind Microsoft and Sony duking it out, the more competitive things are the better. Problem is Microsoft just has so much more money and can buy its way to the top. Kinda hope ABK doesn't go through, in no universe is that good for the consumer long term.

ZehDon

Gold Member
There are some amazing scenes and bits, but as an overall package its no where near a visual showcase.

I am also not sure why they tried to push that narrative as graphical fidelity was never a Halo selling point.
Not quite; Halo 1 and Halo 2 were billed as absolute graphical showstoppers. Halo 2 in particular was a show piece for what the aging OG Xbox could do. The visual jump from Halo 1 to Halo 2 was staggering. Halo 5 was initially positioned as a showpiece for the Xbox One, but that narrative was short lived, and they focused on their smooth 60FPS gameplay instead.

Halo Infinite was positioned as a showcase title because it was launching on next-gen, and they needed to give people a reason to buy in.

Puscifer

I hate that you told me about this, it doesn't even look like the same game. Entire biomes and wildlife that just doesn't exist in the game world

Last edited:

Reallink

The campaign was reasonably impressive maxed out on PC with nice draw distance/LOD's and clutter in the open world, but definitely not a visual showcase. Interiors however were very flat and basic recycling assets like crazy.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Not quite; Halo 1 and Halo 2 were billed as absolute graphical showstoppers. Halo 2 in particular was a show piece for what the aging OG Xbox could do. The visual jump from Halo 1 to Halo 2 was staggering. Halo 5 was initially positioned as a showpiece for the Xbox One, but that narrative was short lived, and they focused on their smooth 60FPS gameplay instead.

Halo Infinite was positioned as a showcase title because it was launching on next-gen, and they needed to give people a reason to buy in.
I wasn't a fan of CE or the way it looked, but Halo 2 certainly was a big step up graphically and it was when I got into the franchise. However, I would never consider graphical fidelity as the main attributes of Halo, it was story, followed by the shooting mechanics, and then the MP, maybe graphics would the 4th or 5th thing I would highlight when talking about Halo.

It could look good if you have the right hardware on PC but far from visual showcase
Greenberg says a lot of things, you shouldn't trust any

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
It's was okay. Not enough environments to make it stand out. Outdoors was mainly trees and rocks. Indoor was samey looking throughout.

It looks brilliant. Not many better open world FPS shooters that look better or support 120FPS on consoles.
My only issue was there simply wasn't enough variety in the environments

Top Bottom