• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abandoned Forspoken SteelBooks Found at Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
forspoken-cover.jpg

Twitter user maiacelio shared a video in which a number of Forspoken SteelBooks had been found in the garbage. While it was not disclosed where precisely the items were found, it is still surprising to see such a new game treated this way. Seeing merchandise such as this show up in disposal bins and dumpsters isn't quite new. In similar news, Funko is disposing of $36 million worth of figurines following lackluster sales in 2022. While that product line seems to be dealing with more volume than Forspoken, the fact that this video game has only been out for a couple of months really doesn't seem like a good sign.

While avid collectors place a lot of value on PlayStation 5 SteelBooks, the added cost versus the regular packaging of the game could really affect the decision-making when buying items such as these. Understandably, while most SteelBook editions include other additional freebies or content, most consumers will tend to focus on purchasing games which they hold to a higher regard. In line with Forspoken's mixed reviews and continuous criticisms, it seems the trend for the game is downward. While it wasn't confirmed whether the steel cases had the discs inside, just seeing them thrown out for disposal does put a more negative light on the game.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Montage Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Preorder steel books tend to be empty, these are preorders extras.

They are not dumping copies of the game.

I do think they should just give away the steel books with standard purchase of the game though.
normally they do though, i've bought games before when they give me a steel case just to move stock.

i still don't think they are dumping copies of the steelbook cases either, it's still product, it's still has to appear on books and in records for the company, it's still cost them to get it.

this is some kid on twitter who maybe saw the netflix doc on ET and didn't really understand the nuanced issues behind that disaster and decided to pretend they found stock in the bin

they probably work for a retailer, saw they had lots of steelbooks boxed up back and then chucked them in the bin outside, made a quick tiktok/tweet because gamerrage, then took them back inside.

the OP even says themselves that they won't say where this happened, that should be proof enough that this is just someone trying to get internet famous.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
The saddest thing it's just pretty much a forgotten game already. All the hooplah over it and already we're pretty much done talking about it. This time next year we're gonna be like "I forgot this game even existed,"

Edit: want to be clear I'm not criticizing the game. Do want to check it out in the future when it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Eh... seems to be fabricated for internet fame.

The game sucks but I'm sure retailers aren't "dumping their stock". They'd just knock the price down to dirt cheap.
Possibly. I don’t know though. There seems to be companies who rather throw away stock or send it back to the vendor or whatever than to heavily discount the merchandise for customers or even employees from my experience.

People are so eager to dunk on this game and I don't even get why.
I feel it’s mostly because if one guy, influencer or reviewer says it’s bad on the internet, the mentality nowadays is it’s automatically bad without people even really trying the game out for themselves to formulate an opinion on it. I know a guy who wouldn’t even try the demo because he heard mixed reviews.

Also, maybe because it’s a PlayStation exclusive. Imho, when people say things like they cannot or refuse to play the game because of things like “cringe writing”, I sometimes wonder do they truly enjoy video games. Not saying what they have to accept or anything, but I thought that mentality was quite strict.

simpatico

Forespoken reminds me of a day 1 launch title for a new console. A few technical niceties and stripped down everything else. Problem is they missed that window by a lot.

anthony2690

Banned
normally they do though, i've bought games before when they give me a steel case just to move stock.

i still don't think they are dumping copies of the steelbook cases either, it's still product, it's still has to appear on books and in records for the company, it's still cost them to get it.

this is some kid on twitter who maybe saw the netflix doc on ET and didn't really understand the nuanced issues behind that disaster and decided to pretend they found stock in the bin

they probably work for a retailer, saw they had lots of steelbooks boxed up back and then chucked them in the bin outside, made a quick tiktok/tweet because gamerrage, then took them back inside.

the OP even says themselves that they won't say where this happened, that should be proof enough that this is just someone trying to get internet famous.
Back in the day when I would frequent game or gamestation, sometimes the guy behind the counter would ask if we wanted any of the preorder items as they were just going to be thrown out.

And give us a handful of codes or a couple steel books etc, even if that wasn't the game we was buying (maybe it's cause I chatted to the guy occasionally who knows)

If it's a few steel books here and there I wouldn't be surprised tbh, it's not like they are throwing millions of dollars of steel books away (say like with et and now funko pops) :p

I do think a lot of twitter users will over blow it for fake concern/console warrior bait though XD

Last edited:
I don’t understand why people who have never touched the game are so eager to make fun of it even months after release. Like why
The game hasn't been out for "months".

it came out 24th january. it's not even been out a couple of months. at least wait until the end of march to say that shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Aenima

I'm calling BS on this one.
The only scenario where i can see this video being real. Is if the store got more steelbook empty boxes than the game. And since thers only 5 shown in the trash they did not bothered to sent them back and just dumped them.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You know it is bullshit, or at the very least missing massive context (e.g., that those boxes aren't empty) because the poster doesn't actually open the boxes to clearly show what they are. GS is currently offering trade-in credit for FS, so it is odd that they would willingly toss out games they actually are giving money for.

. . .just an obviously nothing-burger story that wouldn't gotten ZERO traction, if folks didn't have such a massive need for this game to be an abject failure.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I have one. It’s a beautiful steelbook. And the game is great. Fuck the haters. People are easily manipulated into someone else’s opinion.

You should venture out and dig for that "treasure" my friend. Help the environment and give the copies you procure to your most trusted allies.

ReBurn

Gold Member

When companies dispose of product they write it down or write it off so that the loss appears in their books. If they paid to produce something and it doesn't sell they don't just keep It forever. They get rid of it because it also costs money to store stuff.

It is possible that there weren't enough preorders or whatever condition was required to move the steelbook cases and they were just tossed. It would be more expensive to ship them to retail to just give away than to just toss them out. It's also possible that this person could have made the whole thing up for attention.

Kilau

The artwork is so boring, tired of the person staring at you design trope. Plus her pose always makes me think of the Captain America lecture.

america.jpg

So you bought a mediocre video game…

ReBurn

Gold Member
Retailers can send unsold stock back to the publisher. Sounds like bullshit.
Even if they can send it back to the publisher, what do you think the publisher does when the product comes back? They don't keep it forever. They either sell it at a discount, auction it off, or they destroy it by throwing it in the trash.

MiguelItUp

Retailers can send unsold stock back to the publisher. Sounds like bullshit.
When I used to work at Electronics Boutique, we were instructed to throw away items that dropped to a penny all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't change, lol.

Doom85

Seems like half the hate from this game comes from console wars and the fact that this game is a PS exclusive. If it was multiplatform or dare I say a GamePass exclusive, the story would be totally different.

Forspoken not on Gamepass: “OMG, Forspoken is the worst thing ever! …..no, I didn’t play it, why would I play it?!”
Forspoken on Gamepass: “HELL YEAH, THE BEST DEAL IN GAMING, BITCHES!!!!!”

Forspoken not on Gamepass: “OMG, Forspoken is the worst thing ever! …..no, I didn’t play it, why would I play it?!”

As much as I hate to say it, I feel you're right. The whole Forspoken drama started when that badly edited clip dropped and everyone complained about the dialog. Yet I've started playing Atomic Heart (on GamePass mind you) and the dialog is 10x worse than ANYTHING that is said in Forspoken and people look over it for reasons.........

Last edited:

Doom85

As much as I hate to say it, I feel you're right. The whole Forspoken drama started when that badly edited clip dropped and everyone complained about the dialog. Yet I've started playing Atomic Heart (on GamePass mind you) and the dialog is 10x worse than ANYTHING that is said in Forspoken and people look over it for reasons....

Like, it’s fine if people don’t like it, but it’s bizarre how determined people are to PROVE it’s bad. Like, three weeks ago when I played it, I was magic parkouring off the heads of a massive zombie horde, throwing spears made of fire through bears, and raining magical bolts from the sky onto my enemies. Like, it’s funny people bring up this was made by some of the Final Fantasy XV people because I did not care for that game’s magic system at all, but this game made me feel like a total battlemage.

So yes, people, she did do that with her freaking mind. And you know what? I had a good time doing it with her…..um, err, well you know what I meant, heh.

Chukhopops

I’m sure it will be easy to find port begging posts for Forspoken on GP or Xbox then?

Truth is there was never any hype for this game aside from 4-5 people pushing the « AAA Square Enix game » narrative. You can look at the old threads whenever a new video was posted trying to hype it up.

StueyDuck

When companies dispose of product they write it down or write it off so that the loss appears in their books. If they paid to produce something and it doesn't sell they don't just keep It forever. They get rid of it because it also costs money to store stuff.

It is possible that there weren't enough preorders or whatever condition was required to move the steelbook cases and they were just tossed. It would be more expensive to ship them to retail to just give away than to just toss them out. It's also possible that this person could have made the whole thing up for attention.
The game is barely a month old. Anyone who believes they are being binned by retailers need to smell the real life air and get outside from their little hovels.

What you are talking about is extremely old stock that has absolute proof of not being moved and there is literally no other option than to dispose of the product

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Usually these just get given too anyone who buys the game preowned or new from the retailer if they don't sell enough on launch/preorders

Weird for a retailer to just bin them (and yes they're empty)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom