• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Starfield exclusive on Xbox Series X|S and PC - "none of that has or will change"

Umbasaborne

Banned
Strong relationship sure but people are still used to play DOOM, The Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein etc everywhere. It’s like if Sony bought Square Enix and suddenly Tomb Raider would be exclusive to Playstation.
Eh, that would be totally fine with me tbh, just like upcoming bethesda games being xbox and pc is okay with me

Genx3

Here's the thing about titles like Street FIghter V Sony invested tons of development money to capcom for SFV, and spent their own money for Capcom's Pro tour, and ported Super Street Fighter 4 arcade edition to PS4 on their own dime. They also have supported the fighting scene for years with tons of money and now recently bought EVO and supports throughout the year all the tournaments.

Though Street fighter has been third party for as long as its existed. Over time Nintendo has shown not much interest in supporting it because of hardware choices. On top of the investment needed for online support. Hence why they are kind of distancing themselves from the fight scene.
Sony invests tons into Japanese development, and builds small teams up through investment. Then over time they either incorporate them in or get talent through Collaborations. Microsoft has had a great relationship with Bethesda since PC titles. They spent a good amount of money getting morrowind on Xbox and Oblivion/Fallout.

But they didnt fund those games directly. They helped in getting them running on their platforms through engineering support. Which money was exchanged in that aspect of it, along with promotion. Those games were getting made regardless.
Microsoft does not have the organic track record as Sony does when it comes to nurturing studios let alone an entire publisher. If this was a long time coming type of deal MS would have had way more money involved with ID software and the likes for a bunch of their titles. Same with Arcane studios.
MS just used their bank and bought them and it could have easily been someone else who bought them if the price was right.

Total difference in approaches. Sony acquired HOUSEMARQUE after investing heavily in them over the course of a decade. It made sense after seeing how well Returnal came out that they want to make them permanent partner.

Street Fighter 5 did not need Sony's help.
Every previous SF game was multiplat and blocking off Xbox and Switch gamers ability to play SF5 was anti consumer.
There is no other way to put it.

Rockstar borrowed money in order to be able to make GTA4 on 360 and PS3 from MS and the game was still multiplat. All MS received in return for the loan was timed exclusivity on DLC.

NickFire

The game was announced as “Xbox exclusive”. Other games at the show were announced as “Xbox console exclusive” and “first on Xbox”. That says that it’s not a console exclusive and it’s not a timed exclusive.

now we have this tweet where he flat out says “it’s not timed exclusive”, yet we still have people saying it’s “vague” or that there’s some hidden meaning where it’s left open to interpretation. It’s not. It’s straight forward. It’s Xbox exclusive. It’s never coming to PlayStation.

Do Sony have to come out and specify “this game will never release on Xbox or switch” every time they announce a game as PlayStation exclusive? No? Why?
Yes, if Sony bought a pub of that size and said pub was still releasing any games on xbox, then people would be looking for a clear statement with no wiggle room / pr mixed in for each game. Duh.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Correct. That is the followup I was referring to. No idea why he said "launching exclusively" in the first place.
No platform holder has to call something "not timed exclusive" after calling it exclusive.
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F60c63bf89317680571b4012e%2FStarfield%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Papacheeks

Banned
Street Fighter 5 did not need Sony's help.
Every previous SF game was multiplat and blocking off Xbox and Switch gamers ability to play SF5 was anti consumer.
There is no other way to put it.

Rockstar borrowed money in order to be able to make GTA4 on 360 and PS3 from MS and the game was still multiplat. All MS received in return for the loan was timed exclusivity on DLC.

Please go do some research on the money Sony has poured into Capcom, street fighter and the fight scene. They literally bought Evo. They funded Capcoms Pro tour for Street fighter V? Have to understand pre- PS4/XBONE gen Capcom was not doing well financially.

Sony literally ported Street Fighter 4 over for free, and gave them money for development which included their PR for the PRO tour. WHich is part of capcoms whole run with street fighter.

Bernkastel

And yet Aaron Greenberg had to do just that. Microsoft has been extremely loose with the term "exclusive" in the past. This isn't new.
They have to do that because of the misinformation generated by Red Dragon and similar people. There are still people who absolutely believe it will be timed exclusive. Imagine everyone was made to think the next Spiderman will come to Xbox? Sony will have to publicly make their intentions clear.

Topher

Gold Member
They have to do that because of the misinformation generated by Red Dragon and similar people. There are still people who absolutely believe it will be timed exclusive. Imagine everyone was made to think the next Spiderman will come to Xbox? Sony will have to publicly make their intentions clear.

I don't know who "Red Dragon" is, but saying the game is "launching exclusively" doesn't help clarify its status. That is a phrase that has been used to describe timed exclusives in the past.

Edit: Oh.....Red Dragon. The guy in the OP. Ok. But he is only repeating what Hines said. Why is that Red Dragon's fault?

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

And yet Aaron Greenberg had to do just that. Microsoft has been extremely loose with the term "exclusive" in the past. This isn't new.

I mean he's not wrong, no platform holder should have to, but here we are because people are apparently in denial, either that or just trying to water down what is seemingly a huge deal for Xbox.

Bernkastel

BTW, that image you posted is not correct. As you know, Starfield is coming to PC as well as Xbox.
Because its from Microsoft at E3 2021. Its official.
Edit: Oh.....Red Dragon. The guy in the OP. Ok. But he is only repeating what Hines said. Why is that Red Dragon's fault?
He didn't. Pete Hines was talking about "legacy stuffs" like ESO/Quake/Skyrim/Fallout 76". But Red Dragon put his own spin for drama.

kuncol02

Banned

He didn't. Pete Hines was talking about "legacy stuffs" like ESO/Quake/Skyrim/Fallout 76". But Red Dragon put his own spin for drama.

Quake could even be more of contractual obligation because it was already in works by third party (Nightdive studios) before acquisiton and there is chance that their payment depended on sales or metacritic score on all platforms.

Topher

Gold Member

Officially coming to Steam as well.

I see what you mean here. I looked back up at the OP and Red Dragon said "Bethesdas Pete Hines suggests the door might still be open for possibility of games like Starfield coming to PS5 in future". Yeah....that's bullshit. Not what Hines said at all. So I agree with you on this.

reksveks

Quake could even be more of contractual obligation because it was already in works by third party (Nightdive studios) before acquisiton and there is chance that their payment depended on sales or metacritic score on all platforms.
Good points raised here

Flutta

Banned
I mean why even get worked up over a game we have not seen in action yet? It might be a turd in disguise for all we know. Its Bethesda after all 😛

Shmunter

No platform holder has to call something "not timed exclusive" after calling it exclusive.
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F60c63bf89317680571b4012e%2FStarfield%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale
Damn, looks like PC and Steam miss out according to this official material. Oh well, seems MS has got their messaging straight finally 🥳

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Aaron Greenberg is some excellent head of First Party marketing. I'd love to be as useless as he is and still hold a job after these many years. He excels at muddying the water when he delivers statements.

They were also pretty loose with $7.5 billion dollars. They quite literally own Zenimax/Bethesda now. Does that convince you, in any shape or form, that they have a whole lot more sway and power over these exclusives? Microsoft purchasing an entire major games publisher is new.

Last edited:
Aaron Greenberg is some excellent head of First Party marketing. I'd love to be as useless as he is and still hold a job after these many years. He excels at muddying the water when he delivers statements.

He made clear it isn't a timed exclusive either. Does that help? And anyone bringing up past claims of exclusive, please do note that Microsoft didn't purchase those other companies for $7.5 billion dollars.

Shmunter

He made clear it isn't a timed exclusive either. Does that help? And anyone bringing up past claims of exclusive, please do note that Microsoft didn't purchase those other companies for $7.5 billion dollars.
So releasing as 3rd party to cover the expense or not releasing as 3rd party to sell Xbox consoles? No one knows it seems, especially Aaron.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I understand what he thinks he said but for the head of First Party marketing you'd think he'd understand the power of words. They bought Minecraft for 2.5bn and still released newer Minecraft themed games on other consoles. I'm thinking Aaron needs to shape up or ship out. I'd rather he fuck off and have a competent person in charge.

StormCell

Speaking as a newly minted Xbox fan, if Starfield lives up to all the hype and has the legs and longevity of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, then I wouldn't be bothered by and would even hope that it eventually finds a home on other platforms including Playstation. I want all the great games to be available to as many gamers as possible. We should all want this.

Kagey K

Banned
Reading through this thread, it looks like they are going to have to say it again in 3 months, and again 3months after that, and again 3 months after that...... ad naseum.

JackMcGunns

Speaking as a newly minted Xbox fan, if Starfield lives up to all the hype and has the legs and longevity of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, then I wouldn't be bothered by and would even hope that it eventually finds a home on other platforms including Playstation. I want all the great games to be available to as many gamers as possible. We should all want this.

Xbox fans wouldn't be bothered by Uncharted or God of War making their way to Xbox platforms either. 🤷‍♂️

I understand what he thinks he said but for the head of First Party marketing you'd think he'd understand the power of words. They bought Minecraft for 2.5bn and still released newer Minecraft themed games on other consoles. I'm thinking Aaron needs to shape up or ship out. I'd rather he fuck off and have a competent person in charge.

Minecraft isn't the same thing and you know it. And when you guys bring this up, you never seem to bring up the fact Obsidian is no longer going to be releasing their future major projects on Playstation consoles, or that Ninja Theory won't be doing so either. You never factor in that Playground games will never make a Playstation console game after being purchased by Xbox. What makes you think Bethesda's biggest, most badly sought after projects are any exception after Microsoft spent $7.5 billion?

Minecraft, though popular, has nothing on the level of raw significance of Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 as far as major next gen AAA releases are concerned. All the biggest heavyweight releases from Bethesda should now be put in the same department as Halo. They will not be heading to Playstation. That's what Microsoft paid for. Microsoft also paid for these things to ensure their own hardware, technology or features are more properly utilized by game developers making the biggest games.

StormCell

Xbox fans wouldn't be bothered by Uncharted or God of War making their way to Xbox platforms either. 🤷‍♂️

I love the heck out of having MLB The Show on Xbox. I hope it doesn't leave GamePass anytime soon as I'm tired of buying each year's version and this one is the only one on Xbox.

Actually, I don't think most xbox fans care to have any of those games on Xbox. Because we accept them as Playstation exclusives. We don't waste our time seriously contemplating impossible, unthinkable scenarios.

Good post. Acceptance is something that Xbox fans seem better at. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I don’t have an issue at all with the PlayStation brand. As a long time Xbox guy I even entered this generation with a wandering eye over towards that side of things, based upon Xbox’s and PS’s relative performances last gen. But a large segment of the PS fanbase comes across as so damned entitled. I suspect it has something to do with the wild success of the PS4 generation and the thinking that PlayStation is just meant to “win” at all things. The “loss” of Bethesda, (and what looks like an ascendant Xbox brand) and it’s studios has seemingly done some serious damage to the psyche’s of many and we are seeing a myriad of coping mechanisms laid bare. It’s quite something.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Minecraft isn't the same thing and you know it. And when you guys bring this up, you never seem to bring up the fact Obsidian is no longer going to be releasing their future major projects on Playstation consoles, or that Ninja Theory won't be doing so either. You never factor in that Playground games will never make a Playstation console game after being purchased by Xbox. What makes you think Bethesda's biggest, most badly sought after projects are any exception after Microsoft spent $7.5 billion?

Minecraft, though popular, has nothing on the level of raw significance of Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 as far as major next gen AAA releases are concerned. All the biggest heavyweight releases from Bethesda should now be put in the same department as Halo. They will not be heading to Playstation. That's what Microsoft paid for. Microsoft also paid for these things to ensure their own hardware, technology or features are more properly utilized by game developers making the biggest games.
Will you actually read what I wrote?

StormCell

Actually, I don't think most xbox fans care to have any of those games on Xbox. Because we accept them as Playstation exclusives. We don't waste our time seriously contemplating impossible, unthinkable scenarios.

Blah. Personally, I really hope to see Horizon: Forbidden West make its way onto Xbox and GamePass. It's coming to PC, so why not? That's a great series. If it lives up to or even surpasses the first game, that's a terrific game to have. We'll take every good game we can get on Xbox. Why? Because this platform is relevant, damn it. I like Playstation, but since buying an Xbox (my first since owning a 360) I am convinced that his is the luxury console experience. It is just a very well refined platform that also happens to be home to a great and growing collection of Microsoft-owned titles spanning 4 generations. Sure, I could access all of this from a PC, but for a box top setup it is a luxurious way to enjoy some of the best games available.

Good post. Acceptance is something that Xbox fans seem better at. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I don’t have an issue at all with the PlayStation brand. As a long time Xbox guy I even entered this generation with a wandering eye over towards that side of things, based upon Xbox’s and PS’s relative performances last gen. But a large segment of the PS fanbase comes across as so damned entitled. I suspect it has something to do with the wild success of the PS4 generation and the thinking that PlayStation is just meant to “win” at all things. The “loss” of Bethesda, (and what looks like an ascendant Xbox brand) and it’s studios has seemingly done some serious damage to the psyche’s of many and we are seeing a myriad of coping mechanisms laid bare. It’s quite something.

This is precisely what's going on. Playstation only gamers are way too damn entitled and spoiled. They quite literally believe every game must come their way even when it makes zero sense for them to given the circumstances. They want Sony and the Playstation brand to be cut throat against all competitors, and praise it, but then get upset at the slightest appearance that a competitor is giving that same cut throat attitude right back to the Playstation brand. Because I support both, I actively encourage this type of competition between them because it makes things more exciting for me as a gamer. It keeps both sides honest in trying to fight for our attention. The moment one side becomes too dominant they start trying to screw you over in some fashion.

I enjoy healthy competition.

Blah. Personally, I really hope to see Horizon: Forbidden West make its way onto Xbox and GamePass. It's coming to PC, so why not? That's a great series. If it lives up to or even surpasses the first game, that's a terrific game to have. We'll take every good game we can get on Xbox. Why? Because this platform is relevant, damn it. I like Playstation, but since buying an Xbox (my first since owning a 360) I am convinced that his is the luxury console experience. It is just a very well refined platform that also happens to be home to a great and growing collection of Microsoft-owned titles spanning 4 generations. Sure, I could access all of this from a PC, but for a box top setup it is a luxurious way to enjoy some of the best games available.

I prefer Playstation to have their unique top quality franchises also that stay on their hardware platforms, or at least eventually come to PC as well, and I'll play them on playstation consoles. Even with an amazing PC I greatly enjoy the console experience. I own both PS5 and Series X, and I totally see Xbox being my likely preferred gaming platform all gen, but I look forward to all the amazing things PS5 will offer that I can't ever see on Xbox.

The worst offenders in this industry want there to be no difference at all between the major platforms, where everything is shared on everything, so they can give us worst deals that are better for their bottom lines than for our enjoyment of games. But when there is active competition in the form of other viable platforms with unique game experiences, it keeps them honest because they don't want to not sell to that consumer base also. So what Nintendo does, what Sony does and what Microsoft does is all beneficial to all of us in some shape or form because they have different content and approaches to things.

Bethesda are aiming for Starfield to be the new Skyrim.

Both MS & Bethesda know they have something special in their hands.
Based off what???? They haven't shown us anything and we are supposed to believe this comes out next year which I really doubt. MS has never improved the quality of their accusations so to believe Bethesda who was already on a downward path will some how become better is a joke.

'Launching exclusively' is still quite unclear....

Is it perpetual or is it just for launch?

Of course the xbox guys are going to say it will be exclusive forever but it needs to be clarified beyond doubt and that statement from Greenberg just didn't do that. IMO.
It's doubtful MS big games will be exclusive to Xbox they paid a lot for the company and they will try to get their money back eventually their games will be multiplat no matter what they say its just business.

Based off what???? They haven't shown us anything and we are supposed to believe this comes out next year which I really doubt. MS has never improved the quality of their accusations so to believe Bethesda who was already on a downward path will some how become better is a joke.

You think Psychonauts 2 would have been the GOTY it is without MS having acquired Double Fine and giving them all the support they needed to make the game that they wanted to make? I’m wagering that Starfield will benefit significantly now having the backing and resources of Microsoft. I’m certainly expecting a less buggy, more polished game.

How much of Forza Horizon 5 was seen before e3? MS purchased Playground games and you are saying that wasn't a quality acquisition? Downward path? I am detecting some strong anti MS bias here.

How much of Forza Horizon 5 was seen before e3? MS purchased Playground games and you are saying that wasn't a quality acquisition? Downward path? I am detecting some strong anti MS bias here.

I really enjoy this new trend I'm noticing from gamers where they are totally playing stupid about the possibility that any major games will actually even see release, much less be remotely competent. It's actually the primary argument being used against all major anticipated Xbox exclusives "game is way off may never actually release, so don't get your hopes up"

Bethesda and many of these studios aren't exactly new to this. If Bethesda says Starfield is ready next year and were confident enough to give an exact date, then it's releasing next year on that date.

iHaunter

With how much they spent, it would technically make more sense to release on multi-plat for more $$$. But at the same time, they probably want to bolster their console exclusives as well.

Bethesda and many of these studios aren't exactly new to this. If Bethesda says Starfield is ready next year and were confident enough to give an exact date, then it's releasing next year on that date.

To me, Todd coming out and giving that release date so far ahead of time - as well giving us that in-engine trailer - suggests that Starfield has progressed very well and is on track. This is also why I think it will get some extended bug-squashing treatment. Unlike Halo, I really don’t get the sense that Starfield is going to come in “hot”.

Akuji

I really enjoy this new trend I'm noticing from gamers where they are totally playing stupid about the possibility that any major games will actually even see release, much less be remotely competent. It's actually the primary argument being used against all major anticipated Xbox exclusives "game is way off may never actually release, so don't get your hopes up"

No they are saying they are not to be compared with demons souls ratchet or returnal because you know... These games are already released.

For Bethesda games. They have awesome games like doom or dishonored. Their Core franchises are lacking. Elder scrolls still years away. The latest fallout did force them to a point where they were open for a buyout.

History shows Microsoft is not good at Helping developers when they start to go in the wrong direction. Hopefully they dont have to. Only Thing to Do is lay back and eventually get some games.

Kagey K

Banned
To me, Todd coming out and giving that release date so far ahead of time - as well giving us that in-engine trailer - suggests that Starfield has progressed very well and is on track. This is also why I think it will get some extended bug-squashing treatment. Unlike Halo, I really don’t get the sense that Starfield is going to come in “hot”.

Despite the challenges Bethesda has faced — primarily the pandemic, which has delayed numerous highly-anticipated games over the past 15 months — Howard firmly believes “Starfield” will meet its just-announced release date of November 11, 2022.

“We’re confident in the date," Howard said. "Otherwise, we wouldn’t be announcing it.”

Todd says it clearly right here, people just want to ignore it.

With how much they spent, it would technically make more sense to release on multi-plat for more $$$. But at the same time, they probably want to bolster their console exclusives as well.
First off all Xbox releases are multi-platform. People seem to forget the PC. Secondly wouldn't that be true for all games? I hope you are just as vocal for Sony and Nintendo to get more of their games off of just their systems.

Genx3

Please go do some research on the money Sony has poured into Capcom, street fighter and the fight scene. They literally bought Evo. They funded Capcoms Pro tour for Street fighter V? Have to understand pre- PS4/XBONE gen Capcom was not doing well financially.

Sony literally ported Street Fighter 4 over for free, and gave them money for development which included their PR for the PRO tour. WHich is part of capcoms whole run with street fighter.

No amount of research changes the fact every Street Fighter since Street Fighter 2 was a Multiplat...

Top Bottom