• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MakeUseOf: 4 Reasons Why 2023 Will Be the Year of the Xbox Series X|S

https://www.makeuseof.com/2023-will-be-the-year-of-the-xbox-series-xs-reasons-why/
The console juggernauts of the gaming industry duke it out year after year, fighting to be number one. PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo have competed for decades at this point, giving you the choice of platform you prefer based on exclusive titles.

While "console wars" are often filled with subjectivity and bias, there are ways of ascertaining which console is the most popular for a given year. Many would argue that 2023 is going to be the year of the Xbox Series X|S, based on multiple reasons.

1. Xbox Game Pass Sees Year-On-Year Growth

Xbox Game Pass, available on either an Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, or PC, offers you a wide catalog of games to play. With new games added all the time (including newly-released titles), it is a pretty cheap price for the number of games the service offers. The Game Pass is one of the unique advantages the Xbox Series X|S has over the PlayStation 5.

Gamers have been responding so well to it, that Xbox Game Pass has enjoyed year-on-year growth for several years now, as can be seen on the Game Pass subscribers Statista page. The service had 10 million active users in April 2020, jumping to 18 million in January 2021, and 25 million in January 2022.

It can be expected that the Game Pass will continue this upwards trend in 2023 and beyond, leading to a further influx of new years thus meaning new sales for the Xbox Series X|S.

2. The Global Cost-of-Living Crisis Makes Xbox More Attractive​

Unfortunately, there is a global cost-of-living crisis set to last throughout 2023 and likely most of 2024, at least. Most people are aware of this and naturally will be cutting back on their spending and choosing cheaper options. For many gamers, wondering whether it's worth upgrading from the Xbox One to the Xbox Series X|S feels like a surer bet than jumping to the PS5.

The Xbox Series S is cheaper than the PlayStation 5, with the Xbox Series X costing the same amount as the standard PS5. Since the PlayStation 5 is a) more expensive than the Xbox Series S, and b) in shorter supply than both the Series X and Series S, it's reasonable to assume the Xbox Series X|S will be a more attractive purchase to many prospective customers.

After all, if you're looking to make the jump to the current generation, you'd likely want to pick the cheaper option and the console that is easier to come by.

3. The Xbox Series X|S Is Growing in Sales While Its Competitors Are Down

In 2022, the Xbox Series X|S grew in sales across Europe, while the sales for PlayStation 5 and the Nintendo Switch declined, as reported by PureXbox.

This could be in response to the lower price tag of the Xbox Series S compared to the PlayStation 5, or it could be in response to supply issues. Since the price and supply issues of the PlayStation 5 aren't expected to change throughout at least the first half of 2023, it's reasonable to assume that the Xbox Series X|S will continue to enjoy success in the market.

4. Xbox Has Some Exciting Games Coming in 2023​

Xbox had a fairly quiet year throughout 2022, which is strange considering its growth in sales throughout this period. However, it already announced a few new products for 2023, which could easily lead to more sales throughout the year.

PlayStation has long enjoyed more coveted exclusives than Xbox. Still, with the release of Starfield, a console exclusive to Xbox, and other titles such as Age of Empires, The Outer Worlds 2, and the long-awaited soft reboot of Forza Motorsport, it's only natural people are becoming more interested in Xbox again.

The Xbox Series X|S Will Dominate Throughout 2023​

Even with the rumored release of the PlayStation 5 Slim, the surge of interest in the Steam Deck, and multiple strong exclusive titles releasing on the Nintendo Switch, the Xbox Series X|S will dominate throughout 2023.

Its Xbox Game Pass offering, securing of multiple highly-hyped exclusive titles, cheaper price tag, and favorable supply volume over its competitors make it likely it'll succeed in the market over the PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, and the Steam Deck.

Brad seemed to have missed the news the PS5 shortages are over when he wrote this, but looking over his reasons they seem to echo the reasons people gave last year.

Mostly that a economic crisis is coming and Gamepass is the neutralizer along with the low cost S.

But without the games none of that matters, it is looking like Xbox Series will see actual game this year if there aren't more delays. With that being said, will Starfield and Forza alone help Xbox "dominate" 2023? They will need a few more announcements than those and Red Fall releasing this year in order to do that I think. Starfield may be huge but being new IP I don't know if it's going to sell like an Elder Scrolls title or a (good, not broken at launch) Fallout game.

But who knows, Starfield may surprise with its performance. Issue is there needs to be X production along with the S to increase base XBS sales or none of that will do much of anything for console sales.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I am sure you think that.
full

The Global Cost-of-Living Crisis Makes Xbox More Attractive​

Yeah how did that work out with those Worldwide DEEP price cuts

You're confusing the Series S success for the XBS success. The price cuts worked very well, but with low X production the base for XBS is handicapped.

The author seems to be assuming X production will be fixed and Xbox will have round 2 deep cuts for the S, which I think is optimistic.

Last edited:
Activision deal will go through and they can began showing their true hand again.
Active studios, HiFi Rush not the only suprise game.
Everyone on the planet will already own a Playstation by DEC.
The pivot will occur and beginings of an add on will emerge

claude-aftv.gif

BRB, time to found XboxTV.

Sheesh, O'Connor went from fat > skinny > fat. Pattern baldness continues.

*I jest Frankie boy, you're a wordsmith and I hope you pen another Halo short story but don't ever throw another Dyson sphere into the sun. Think of the missed biomes opportunity.

Cost of living being bad is about all that sounds true to me, and it wouldn't push people to xbox. It would push people to either just buy the best games or stop buying anything gaming related. People won't do more spur of the moment purchases or getting a whole new console.

onQ123

The Xbox Series X|S Is Growing in Sales While Its Competitors Are Down

Didn't we JUST had sales data confirming quite the opposite xD?

Unless the competition is like PS Vita or Nintendo DS then fine I guess ;)